A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Introducing "Social Groups"

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
Hi all,

Today I have activated a new feature on the forum called "Social Groups".

This is a feature where you (donating members only) can create groups (it is very similar to a forum) on camino related topics that interest you. Everyone (also non-donors) can then join your group and participe in the conversation.

You can see it here (on the forum home page):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/#social-groups.135

I have created two sections for now:

"Meet pilgrims that start when you do"
This is a section were you can create a group like "May 2015 pilgrims". This creates a forum on that topic, and you can then converse with pilgrims starting this month.

"Other Camino Related Groups"
For now, this is open for you to create groups on topics that might interest you (Camino related). Could be "Sussex Camino group" or "For those of us that love xyz backpack".

As you can see, it opens up the forum for you to create a group on your favorite camino topic.

So summing up:
  • Donating Members can create new Social Forums
  • Everyone else can add themselves to such a Social Forum and participate
If you have any questions or see anything that is not working as it should, please let me know.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Last edited:

Advertisment

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Sounds good Ivar. Could you clarify one (or 2) point(s) please. If a 'Group' is formed will it run as a singe thread or will there be several threads maybe within the group? If there are multiple threads will anyone be able to start a thread or only the person initiating the group?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
Sounds good Ivar. Could you clarify one (or 2) point(s) please. If a 'Group' is formed will it run as a singe thread or will there be several threads maybe within the group? If there are multiple threads will anyone be able to start a thread or only the person initiating the group?
A group is like a forum (like the "Camino Frances" forum). Inside a group you can have many different threads. Users that are interested in participating in a group need to click a "Join" button to join and can from then on create new threads and respond (as in any forum thread).

I hope this helps.
Ivar

Advertisment

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
Will the threads in a social group be visible to those who have not joined including moderators?
This can be configured... as of now yes. But I am thinking that it might be a good idea to only see messages from groups you have "joined" to reduce the number of notifications. If we start to get a lot of groups it might not be desirable to see messages about a topic you are not interested in.

Regarding moderation. The creator of the group has some mod abilities for his/her group.
Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 3.52.54 PM.png

The forum mods will be able to moderate (and see) everything (at least this is how I think it will work).

This is an experiment, that I think will be a great tool for the future. I am thinking that it might be a good solution especially for those starting their camino in the same month... taking over for the calendar... they could have one group for "May 2015" pilgrims. We could even create a "2015" group for the ones walking next year. The possibilities are endless.

Let's see how this evolves..

Thanks!
Ivar

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
A group is like a forum (like the "Camino Frances" forum). Inside a group you can have many different threads. Users that are interested in participating in a group need to click a "Join" button to join and can from then on create new threads and respond (as in any forum thread).

I hope this helps.
Ivar
Thanks Ivar. The reply about moderating/joining is very interesting too. A little like the old 'albergue' in some ways.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Ivar, I have a problem downloading pages which has returned today. When you went onto the https system I could load pages without problem, since lunchtime I get an Error notice with a 'security incorrect' warning, then if I refresh the page it does eventually load on 2nd or 3rd attempt. This was happening before the https pages went 'live', but not as bad. Is it tied to any changes you have made with the new Social Groups section, and have others found a problem? (Hence posting here)

(Edit) This is the message I see:-

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.caminodesantiago.me. SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read) An error occurred during a connection to www.caminodesantiago.me. SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

Last edited:

Arn

Staff member
Donating Member
Ivar, Great idea and with many good things...it can bite one in the butt, unless:
1. Since it is created by you, and although it will have some built protections, you have some stewardship responsibilities, therefore it's best if your mods have access to all Forum sponsored/supported sites/groups.
2. This will also be a logical place for folks with specific Camino related thoughts/proclivities (uni-wheel Camino, Mules-R-US, Campers on Camino, Religious on Camino) to gather and share their interests.
3. Group organizers should be capable of accepting/rejecting pilgrims for membership and, should a member go beyond the stated focus of the group; delete them and lock out of further comment.

Just some thoughts,
Arn

DeadFred

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances St Jean to Logrono -Sept, Oct (2014 )
Camino Frances Los Arcos to Logrono-May 2016
From past experience , especially related to " May 2015 Pilgrims" type threads there will be much more positive impact to the members than any negative effect. It offers so much more opportunity to coalesce with others in specific activities narrowing down to people that will be on the Camino at the same time in the same area. In other words ...develop camaraderie. Glad to see your doing this Ivar it will add much to an already incredible forum.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
1. Since it is created by you, and although it will have some built protections, you have some stewardship responsibilities, therefore it's best if your mods have access to all Forum sponsored/supported sites/groups.
They will have access to everything.
2. This will also be a logical place for folks with specific Camino related thoughts/proclivities (uni-wheel Camino, Mules-R-US, Campers on Camino, Religious on Camino) to gather and share their interests.
Exactly
3. Group organizers should be capable of accepting/rejecting pilgrims for membership and, should a member go beyond the stated focus of the group; delete them and lock out of further comment.
Group mods only control what goes on in that one group.

As stated before, this is all new... let's see how it evolves. I think it can be a useful tool if used correctly.

Un saludo,
Ivar

wayfarer

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Hi Ivar, would it be possible to put a link to the Social Groups on the top links bar, it would make it easier to find and check.

Bala

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPdP-Burgos, 2015)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Sarria, 2018)
Sarria-Santiago (fall 2018)
Ivar, I posted on Arn's new forum Tuesday, but yesterday when I went back on there was a message telling me, "You have insufficient privileges to post here." Same today. Any suggestions?

Oh, and since I can't post there (at least not at the moment!), thanks for the welcome, Arn! :)

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
Ivar, I posted on Arn's new forum Tuesday, but yesterday when I went back on there was a message telling me, "You have insufficient privileges to post here." Same today. Any suggestions?

Oh, and since I can't post there (at least not at the moment!), thanks for the welcome, Arn! :)
You need to go to the group page and click the "join" group button (yellow).. Then you should be able to participate again.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Ivar, if some-one starts a social group as a donating member and their donation expires what will happen to that social group forum? or to its moderation? please.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
Ivar, if some-one starts a social group as a donating member and their donation expires what will happen to that social group forum? or to its moderation? please.
My idea is that the user still will be responsible for the moderation of this group, but that once the donation expire he/she can not create more groups.

If this happens and the permissions are not configured correctly, please let me know and I will make changes.

Saludos,
Ivar

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
At least on my computer and account, groups are pretty much a null set. Posts have even seemed to disappear, so that there are only two now. Is the feature working?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
At least on my computer and account, groups are pretty much a null set. Posts have even seemed to disappear, so that there are only two now. Is the feature working?
Should be working. It is a new format, very locked down so I imagine that it will take time for it to catch on. I am in no hurry. I will promote the feature as well, that will help I think... (not had time yet).

If posts have disappeared contact the person responsible for the group. If the group mod have any questions, he/she can contact me.

Greetings from a grey Santiago,
Ivar

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF011, CF012, CP013, CF014, CA015, S.Anton015, CF015, CI015
Ditch Pig016, CF017, CP017, CdN(018)
There is one point I am not yet clear about. If the group mod wants to keep some troll from joining the group, can they deny access?

nomadpeah

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, (CF 2018)
Hi Ivar, is this feature still active? I am having trouble finding the social groups and/or how to crate one.

Thanks,
Leah

wayfarer

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Hi Ivar, is this feature still active? I am having trouble finding the social groups and/or how to crate one.

Thanks,
Leah
Hi Leah, click on the yellow arrow at the top left of your screen then scroll down almost to the bottom of the page and you will find a section called Special Camino Topics, this is where the social groups are now.

nomadpeah

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, (CF 2018)
From past experience , especially related to " May 2015 Pilgrims" type threads there will be much more positive impact to the members than any negative effect. It offers so much more opportunity to coalesce with others in specific activities narrowing down to people that will be on the Camino at the same time in the same area. In other words ...develop camaraderie. Glad to see your doing this Ivar it will add much to an already incredible forum.
I just want to add that I started a social forum for a group of folks starting the Camino in April and this is exactly what has happened - camaraderie. It's a positive group and I think we are all enjoying the discussions.

Thanks Ivar for the feature.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
I just want to add that I started a social forum for a group of folks starting the Camino in April and this is exactly what has happened - camaraderie. It's a positive group and I think we are all enjoying the discussions.

Yes, as a reminder, Social Groups are small groups where you need to "join" the group to be able to read and/or participate. More here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/social-categories/special-camino-topics.147/

DeadFred

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances St Jean to Logrono -Sept, Oct (2014 )
Camino Frances Los Arcos to Logrono-May 2016

nomadpeah ... Good luck with your forum. Fyi I started "September 2014 Peregrinos" in 2013 and it gathered incredible momentum by the we time left for Spain we had SO many people on the list . Here's a calendar I started that became popular and useful.

scroll down(or up?) to the 4th msg to see the calendar
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/september-2014-peregrinos.24717/page-7#post-233653

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
ivar Announcements 8
ivar Announcements 0

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June