• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introducing 'The TIPBOT'

T

Tigger

...or Tigger Intuitive Poles Bounce Optional Technique

TIPBOT

As a Camino virgin I am having such fun planning, buying stuff, testing stuff etc etc. When I first started training/walking with Kanga I was hesitant to contemplate using walking poles as I had never used them and loved the freedom of walking 'arms free' and she of course was addicted to hers. After reading everything that you good people had to say on the subject I imported my Pacer Poles that I now love...

HOWEVER there are still times when I find the poles an unwelcome distraction and a bit of a nuisance and it is when the way is flat, the path is good and I can't be bothered packing them away...SO

I have developed TIPBOT.
Basically it involves placing your pole on every SECOND stride hence having a complete walking motion and pole placement cycle every FOUR strides.

You may all laugh NOW!

What this does is allow for a longer loping more fluid stride style and I literally feel like I am flying, and personally I find it way more relaxing than the discipline of stick placement with every stride as I have a quick pace and sometimes it feels like my arms can't keep up.
Another bonus is the available time to point at things, prod things, do a joie de vivre 'bounce' and make rude signs at truck drivers who honk at me because I am blonde. Their disappointment is palpable when they realise how old I am! lol

I suppose for the purists, this technique is not 'correct' however I am learning to live by the Camino mantra that whatever suits you individually can't be all wrong. The minute there is a hill I revert to every stride with pole placement varying accordingly for ascent and descent. Give it a try and see what you think...bounce...bounce...bounce!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What, you mean there is an official way to walk now? And there was I thinking the Camino police wouldn't report me for doing it wrong....

I'll have a go at that cobber.
But I'll need your instructions close at hand and to read them carefully.
And with my pacer poles I can fly eh? I'd like that.
I dunno about the bounce... bounce...bounce tho.
Regards
Gerard

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What, you mean there is an official way to walk now? And there was I thinking the Camino police wouldn't report me for doing it wrong....
Well, I had always thought that it was right foot before left, but it seems that left before right is 'more correct'...or maybe it is because I am from the Southern Hemisphere and here water goes down the plughole differently?

TIPBOT

As a Camino virgin I am having such fun planning, buying stuff, testing stuff etc etc. When I first started training/walking with Kanga I was hesitant to contemplate using walking poles as I had never used them and loved the freedom of walking 'arms free' and she of course was addicted to hers. After reading everything that you good people had to say on the subject I imported my Pacer Poles that I now love...

HOWEVER there are still times when I find the poles an unwelcome distraction and a bit of a nuisance and it is when the way is flat, the path is good and I can't be bothered packing them away...SO

I have developed TIPBOT.
Basically it involves placing your pole on every SECOND stride hence having a complete walking motion and pole placement cycle every FOUR strides.

You may all laugh NOW!

What this does is allow for a longer loping more fluid stride style and I literally feel like I am flying, and personally I find it way more relaxing than the discipline of stick placement with every stride as I have a quick pace and sometimes it feels like my arms can't keep up.
Another bonus is the available time to point at things, prod things, do a joie de vivre 'bounce' and make rude signs at truck drivers who honk at me because I am blonde. Their disappointment is palpable when they realise how old I am! lol

I suppose for the purists, this technique is not 'correct' however I am learning to live by the Camino mantra that whatever suits you individually can't be all wrong. The minute there is a hill I revert to every stride with pole placement varying accordingly for ascent and descent. Give it a try and see what you think...bounce...bounce...bounce!!!
Sounds way too complicated for me. I try not to think too hard about how I'm walking. :p But I do like the idea of bouncing!

Sounds way too complicated for me. I try not to think too hard about how I'm walking. :p But I do like the idea of bouncing!
Yeah! It is tricky to get it just right! Place pole...dance about a bit wave to the crowd of goats, optional bounce of course, then place other pole.
I'll have a go at that cobber.
But I'll need your instructions close at hand and to read them carefully.
And with my pacer poles I can fly eh? I'd like that.
I dunno about the bounce... bounce...bounce tho.
Regards
Gerard
Flying 'Tiggers' is always a sight to behold!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

TIPBOT

I have developed TIPBOT.

You may all laugh NOW!

Your technique sounds interesting and since it's helping you to enjoy your walks more, then it's a winner! I prefer using only one pole because I enjoy the freedom of having one hand available to grab my camera/phone at a moment's notice. I don't appear to be walking lopsided yet as far as I can tell. ;)

Wow, you get to walk and train with Kanga? She is one of the Camino guru experts and practically a celebrity to me and probably hundreds, if not thousands of others. You are a lucky gal!

Your technique sounds interesting and since it's helping you to enjoy your walks more, then it's a winner! I prefer using only one pole because I enjoy the freedom of having one hand available to grab my camera/phone at a moment's notice. I don't appear to be walking lopsided yet as far as I can tell. ;)

Wow, you get to walk and train with Kanga? She is one of the Camino guru experts and practically a celebrity to me and probably hundreds, if not thousands of others. You are a lucky gal!
Yes, she is amazing, and as first cousins we have known each other since I was six months old ( she being six months older than me) AND we went to school together so there will be fun and gig on the Camino in April May!

Yes, she is amazing, and as first cousins we have known each other since I was six months old ( she being six months older than me) AND we went to school together so there will be fun and gig on the Camino in April May!
Awesome! I think I read that Kanga is doing the Norte. I'm going back to do the Frances again in April/May with three family members. Would have enjoyed meeting the both of you. You will love the northern route and you will be taken good care of by your "older" cousin! :)
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Awesome! I think I read that Kanga is doing the Norte. I'm going back to do the Frances again in April/May with three family members. Would have enjoyed meeting the both of you. You will love the northern route and you will be taken good care of by your "older" cousin! :)
Buen Camino
Actually the plan at the moment is to do some (about 500kms) of the VDLP from Salamanca. If we decided to join the Frances along the way at some point, we might meet up near the end.

Yes, I too have a love/hate relationship with what I call ticker tackers. I prefer to walk without ticker tackers. Its not just the noise, its also the fact that for some reason they make me walk faster and I like being a slow walker. Pilgrims with ticker tackers just make me feel anxious when they are tapping at my heels with some incredibly fast and amazingly regular beat. At which point I stand and wait perfectly happily till I can say "buen camino" and let them and their noise pass.
That said, I would never walk the camino without a pair of ticker tackers. Mine live probably 80% of the time in one of the side pockets of my pack. The other 20%, when they do come out, is going up or down steep and rocky paths, in rain when it might be slippery, in high winds when I need the extra purchase and occasionally towards the end of a long, hot day when I need to put on some speed to get to the town I'm staying in.
Foldable poles offer the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Yes, I too have a love/hate relationship with what I call ticker tackers. I prefer to walk without ticker tackers. Its not just the noise, its also the fact that for some reason they make me walk faster and I like being a slow walker. Pilgrims with ticker tackers just make me feel anxious when they are tapping at my heels with some incredibly fast and amazingly regular beat. At which point I stand and wait perfectly happily till I can say "buen camino" and let them and their noise pass.
That said, I would never walk the camino without a pair of ticker tackers. Mine live probably 80% of the time in one of the side pockets of my pack. The other 20%, when they do come out, is going up or down steep and rocky paths, in rain when it might be slippery, in high winds when I need the extra purchase and occasionally towards the end of a long, hot day when I need to put on some speed to get to the town I'm staying in.
Interesting post. Sometimes newbie feels like they have to fit into one 'fold' or another...to use poles of a certain type or not... I am trying to custome fit this whole experience to me...and ask me after my first Camino, how wrong I am now. Wait...is there a wrong?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I had always thought that it was right foot before left, but it seems that left before right is 'more correct'...or maybe it is because I am from the Southern Hemisphere and here water goes down the plughole differently?
hey sister when I start my 10th. Camino in June will do what I always do. Starting looking for a nice walking stick from the path as I walk. Never have bought a walking pole. Last year as I walked from Lourdes onward found a a stick as soon as I left Lourdes. I didn't like it much until, the first mad dog I came across who was intent on biting me until I showed him the stick. The bastard ran away. Enjoy this time the Camino is always an experience of a lifetime.

Hi Tigger - I love the idea of the TIPBOT method! 'Would love to see a demo of it ... are you coming to the AusCamino Festival at Blackheath next weekend? If you are, perhaps you could bring your poles and give us a lesson in the technique.
Cheers - Jenny

I use my poles in a similar way as Tigger does--with more flex in the wrist and a looser grip than I see some people use.
It's not 'tick-tack-tick-tack,' but "tick--tack--tick--tack" Planting the poles at half the tempo.

There's plenty of arm engagement when the pole's panted, with a little push off at the end, a bit like what should happen at the end of the arm stroke when swimming free-style.

[Edit...On my walk today, I noticed that if I had had poles (I don't have them here), I would be planting them in sync with the left foot--so when the left foot hits the ground so would one or the other poles. To extend the swimming metaphor, it's like alternating sides when one breathes...
So not half as fast, rather 3/4 speed (right? Well, something like that...).]

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This "every second step" advice could be dangerous....

Professor Douglas Walter Noble Stibbs, Director of Observatories at St Andrews,
insisted that all first year Astronomy students participate in the City to Surf
half marathon held on St Andrews day. He warned about the grave dangers of
breathing in on even numbered footsteps. This would, he said, lead to
"body deformatives". Students were supervised as they ran round the university
playing fields to ensure that they breathed in on odd numbered steps.

AMEN !!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use at least 3 different techniques when walking with my pacer poles depending on my mood, the terrain and how fast I am going. I use the two you described plus a double pole tap at the same time. Variety is a spice of life. If I am in a really good mood a little dance with my poles can take place.

a double pole tap at the same time.
Ah, yes. I forgot about this; I use it too. Very useful to haul oneself up hills.
This would, he said, lead to
"body deformatives".
Oh. That explains it.;):D
It's not in our stars but in our poles that we are deformatives. (Apologies to the Bard...)

Tigger and JennyH94. I have always used Tiggers method ever I started using poles. I will demonstrate next weekend. I have often been told I use an incorrect method by the Camino Police, but I just give a superior smile. I also use the rubber tips in city pavements

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tigger. A blond and a redhead together means dangerous mischief. Watch out truckies!

Hi Tigger - I love the idea of the TIPBOT method! 'Would love to see a demo of it ... are you coming to the AusCamino Festival at Blackheath next weekend? If you are, perhaps you could bring your poles and give us a lesson in the technique.
Cheers - Jenny
Yes, will be there with poles and TIPBOT...ting about a bit!

Tigger and JennyH94. I have always used Tiggers method ever I started using poles. I will demonstrate next weekend. I have often been told I use an incorrect method by the Camino Police, but I just give a superior smile. I also use the rubber tips in city pavements
You sound like a 'rebel with a cause'!

Blimey Tigger ! your TIPBOT system is more like a ' TRIPBOT' ; at least where I'm concerned .
I tried it in my office a few moments ago , I felt as if I was trying to rub my stomach and pat my head all while walking and holding poles at the same time.
I am afraid I just can't see myself using this new system , especially when the regional wines of Navarre may also have some influence on the way I walk :)
This song by Dr Hook came to mind !

Blimey Tigger ! your TIPBOT system is more like a ' TRIPBOT' ; at least where I'm concerned .
I tried it in my office a few moments ago , I felt as if I was trying to rub my stomach and pat my head all while walking and holding poles at the same time.
I am afraid I just can't see myself using this new system , especially when the regional wines of Navarre may also have some influence on the way I walk :)
With due respect, TIPBOT...ting is not suitable for office space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm! Tried it, don't get it, but if it works for you, great.
Thanks Doug, I appreciate you opinion on here and appreciate your knowledge and expertise. My technique is more freewheeling on even easy surfaces when pole assist is not only not necessary, but a bit of a slow down...for me anyway.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hilarious, Charles! Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane! :D

Hi Tigger and David - I'm looking forward to seeing the demo ... I'll have my poles with me too so perhaps we could have a TIPBOT 101 lesson!
Cheers - Jenny

Another fun thread. Thanks for the good laughs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Tipbot is definitely more sophisticated technique than mine :)

Because of old wrist injuries in both hands I found that the "normal" ways of using telescopic poles very jarring on my wrists. So instead of putting the poles directly down onto the ground, I flicked them outwards, which reduced the impact on my hands significantly...

The downsides:

I had to wear grippy gloves because the flicking movement would've caused blisters in the webbing between thumb and index finger, and:

Presumably I looked rather eccentric... a pilgrim I chatted to before she overtook me said "I'll look out for you in Santiago. You'll be easy to recognise um by the um unusual way you use your um poles...."

But dammit, doesn't "looking strange" apply to pilgrims in general? :)

I will check out Pacer Poles though.

The Tipbot is definitely more sophisticated technique than mine :)

Because of old wrist injuries in both hands I found that the "normal" ways of using telescopic poles very jarring on my wrists. So instead of putting the poles directly down onto the ground, I flicked them outwards, which reduced the impact on my hands significantly...

The downsides:

I had to wear grippy gloves because the flicking movement would've caused blisters in the webbing between thumb and index finger, and:

Presumably I looked rather eccentric... a pilgrim I chatted to before she overtook me said "I'll look out for you in Santiago. You'll be easy to recognise um by the um unusual way you use your um poles...."

But dammit, doesn't "looking strange" apply to pilgrims in general? :)

I will check out Pacer Poles though.
Pacer poles might really suit you then, as you don't actually 'grip' the ergonomic pole head at all, rather laying your hand in it with a downward pressure and the lightest of a different 'grip'. I can't imagine getting blisters from this, and certainly haven't even felt any heat whatsoever, though my technique does intend for me to takes fewer pole strikes over the long trip! On flat ground it would be half and uphill and downhill pretty much the same.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pacer poles might really suit you then, as you don't actually 'grip' the ergonomic pole head at all, rather laying your hand in it with a downward pressure and the lightest of a different 'grip'. I can't imagine getting blisters from this, and certainly haven't even felt any heat whatsoever, though my technique does intend for me to takes fewer pole strikes over the long trip! On flat ground it would be half and uphill and downhill pretty much the same.

Oh thank you Tigger - you've encouraged to give them a go!

Oh thank you Tigger - you've encouraged to give them a go!
We love our Pacer Poles!
I met another user going over the Pyrennes. She told me that if we were attacked by fierce Basque Bandits she would offer up her husband before her Pacer Poles!
Regards
Gerard

I am hoping our little group on the VDLP is not henceforth known as the Ministry of Silly Walks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pacer poles might really suit you then, as you don't actually 'grip' the ergonomic pole head at all, rather laying your hand in it with a downward pressure and the lightest of a different 'grip'.
Of course, one should never grip the 'grip' on a conventional pole when the strap is worn correctly. All that is needed is a gentle touch to guide the end of the pole if it is important to place it in a specific place, eg when walking over rocky or broken ground.

As an aside, we were discussing pole techniques at the last CFOTC meeting here in Canberra, and one of our members revealed she had been taught a technique that planted the pole every two steps rather than every step when she first went to Spain a few years ago. She has used that rhythm since.

Of course, one should never grip the 'grip' on a conventional pole when the strap is worn correctly. All that is needed is a gentle touch to guide the end of the pole if it is important to place it in a specific place, eg when walking over rocky or broken ground.

As an aside, we were discussing pole techniques at the last CFOTC meeting here in Canberra, and one of our members revealed she had been taught a technique that planted the pole every two steps rather than every step when she first went to Spain a few years ago. She has used that rhythm since.
Thanks Doug. I believe the rhythm method to be quite effective in certain circumstances.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.