• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction and query re Festivals

Peter-H

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2023)
Hi.
I'm Peter. Planning to walk the Camino Frances from the last week in April to Early June.
I have a copy of the John Brierley guidebook. I read of a festival in early May that I think coincided with the first or second week of my trip. I haven't been able to find the reference again in the guidebook. I am thinking I may have misread it or read it elsewhere.
Can anyone help with this festival, early May, it would be within the first couple of hundred km of the trip.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
These are the public holidays that appear in an internet search:
Fri 1st MayLabor Day / May Day
Sat 2nd MayDay of MadridMadrid
Fri 15th MayFeast Day of St IsidoreMadrid
Sun 17th MayGalicia Literature DayGalicia
Sat 30th MayDay of the Canary IslandsCanary Islands
Sun 31st MayDay of Castile-La ManchaCastile-La Mancha

May Day could be an issue if you want to travel or use public services, do grocery shopping, etc.

Hi.
I'm Peter. Planning to walk the Camino Frances from the last week in April to Early June.
I have a copy of the John Brierley guidebook. I read of a festival in early May that I think coincided with the first or second week of my trip. I haven't been able to find the reference again in the guidebook. I am thinking I may have misread it or read it elsewhere.
Can anyone help with this festival, early May, it would be within the first couple of hundred km of the trip.
Hi Peter,
Hi.
Hi Peter,
You probably read about the Fiestas Patronales en Santo Domingo de la Calzada (La Rioja) from 10-15 May considered a Festivity of National Tourist Interest.
Check: www.santodomingodelacalzada.org

Great time to be there. You are going to love it!
Enjoy.....and report back!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Peter,

Hi Peter,
You probably read about the Fiestas Patronales en Santo Domingo de la Calzada (La Rioja) from 10-15 May considered a Festivity of National Tourist Interest.
Check: www.santodomingodelacalzada.org

Great time to be there. You are going to love it!
Enjoy.....and report back!
Hi Mima1965
Many thanks for your response. You are absolutely right. The reference in John Brierley's guidebook is on page 111, at the end of Stage 9. Reference to the Fiesta is in a single line, the last line in fact. I have reread several of the the Stages around that several times, however I continued to miss the reference that I'd noticed when I first read it. The guidebook is so packed with information, I clearly need to highlight things like this when I come across them. I was beginning to think I'd imagined it, so you have saved my sanity!
I will be leaving St Jean Pied de Port on April 27th, so expect to be in the vicinity of Santo Domingo de la Caldaza in the second week in May, which is why this caught my eye in the first place. Will certainly try to schedule a day to take in the Fiesta. Again many thanks for your advice. I will indeed enjoy; and report back.

I was in Sto Domingo for the festival in 2013, by chance! Some photos here:

I was in Sto Domingo for the festival in 2013, by chance! Some photos here:
Great way to enjoy the festivities!
I certainly want to stay in some paradors but top on my list is the San Marcos parador in Leon!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This was closed for renovations when I passed through earlier in 2019. Not sure if it has reopened.

Hi Mima1965
Many thanks for your response. You are absolutely right. The reference in John Brierley's guidebook is on page 111, at the end of Stage 9. Reference to the Fiesta is in a single line, the last line in fact. I have reread several of the the Stages around that several times, however I continued to miss the reference that I'd noticed when I first read it. The guidebook is so packed with information, I clearly need to highlight things like this when I come across them. I was beginning to think I'd imagined it, so you have saved my sanity!
I will be leaving St Jean Pied de Port on April 27th, so expect to be in the vicinity of Santo Domingo de la Caldaza in the second week in May, which is why this caught my eye in the first place. Will certainly try to schedule a day to take in the Fiesta. Again many thanks for your advice. I will indeed enjoy; and report back.

Hi Peter,
I'm planning my camino for 2021. Similar dates (starting 1st June) but aiming to arrive in Santiago on 25th July (to be part of the great Galician celebration... as it is a Jacobean year)
I love festivals....and the feasts that follow!...so I'm trying to be around for a few.
Here are some more along the way to consider:
They are in geographical order (Rioja to Galicia)
Logroño:
June 9- Dia de la Rioja
June 11- St Barnabas Day- Patron Saint. Festivity of National Turistic Interest.
Burgos:
July 6-13 San Pedro y San Pablo. A whole week of celebrations.
Leon:
June 19-30 San Juan y San Pedro- Patron Saints.
Big celebration on 24th -dia de San Juan.
Ponferrada:
July 2-5 -Noches Templarias
3 nights of Medieval Templars' celebrations at the castle.
Sarria:
June 22-25
San Juan festivities, medieval markets and local gastronomic degustations.
Arzua:
June 22: Gastronomic celebration- Currascada & chumichurri & the arzua cheese they are famous for.
June 24: They also cebrate San Juan.
Muxia -Costa da Morte:
July 21-23 - Medieval festival.
There are 17 places (after Santo Domingo de la Calzada) with fiestas patronales in June and July.
A number of places also offer free tastings of traditional food/ndishes to visitors and local wines.
You can see why my camino is likely to take me 7-8 weeks!
Salud!
Marta

Hi Peter,
I'm planning my camino for 2021. Similar dates (starting 1st June) but aiming to arrive in Santiago on 25th July (to be part of the great Galician celebration... as it is a Jacobean year)
I love festivals....and the feasts that follow!...so I'm trying to be around for a few.
Logroño:
June 9- Dia de la Rioja
June 11- St Barnabas Day- Patron Saint. Festivity of National Turistic Interest.
Burgos:
Leon:
Ponferrada:
Sarria:
June 22-25
Arzua:
June 22: Gastronomic celebration- Currascada & chumichurri & the arzua cheese they are famous for.
Muxia -Costa da Morte:
There are 17 places (after Santo Domingo de la Calzada) with fiestas patronales in June and July.
A number of places also offer free tastings of traditional food/ndishes to visitors and local wines.
Salud!
Marta
Hi Peter,
Logroño:
June 9- Dia de la Rioja
Burgos:
Leon:
Ponferrada:
Sarria:
June 22-25
Arzua:
Muxia -Costa da Morte:
Salud!
Marta
Hi again Peter,
Just realised you are arriving end of April and our schedules are different

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are arriving end of April and probably won't be around for the festivals listed.
Roncesvalles has one of its traditional Romerias on 5th May and Estella on 25th May but probably not helpful either!...
But anyway, it might useful for others!!
Cheers

Hi.
Hi Peter
I'm starting from SJPP on 29 April - can't imagine I'll catch you up but you never know.

I was at the festival in Santo Domingo del la Calzada in 2012 and it was great fun. If you can afford it stay at the parador in the main square. The centre of action and beautiful accommodation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Be aware that the celebrations go on late into the night on Saturday, so you would not get much sleep!

Be aware that the celebrations go on late into the night on Saturday, so you would not get much sleep!
Hi you wonderful respondents. This is the first time I have ever used an on-line forum. An amazing vehicle for information on what appears to be an endless variety of subjects.
Margaret; Thanks for the photos. I'm all the more keen to try and include this festival in my trip, sleep or no sleep.
Mata; Thanks for your further information about festivals around that time. Unfortunately I'll be a bit early, but will hopefully plan this better on a future trip. Still very grateful that you rescued my sanity re the reference in Brierley's guidebook.
Makkem; May catch up, will keep an eye out. I'm only two day's ahead when you start and that will be lost if I take in the festival in Santo Domingo, which I would love to do.
Carol06; Thanks for the comment re accommodation. My plan however is to do the whole trip pilgrim style.
Dougfitz; Thanks for your initial response to my post
Best wishes everyone. Travel safe.

I was at the festival in Santo Domingo del la Calzada in 2012 and it was great fun. If you can afford it stay at the parador in the main square. The centre of action and beautiful accommodation.
Small world Carol....you are in Mangawhai and I'm in Whangaparaoa!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi you wonderful respondents. This is the first time I have ever used an on-line forum. An amazing vehicle for information on what appears to be an endless variety of subjects.
Margaret; Thanks for the photos. I'm all the more keen to try and include this festival in my trip, sleep or no sleep.
Mata; Thanks for your further information about festivals around that time. Unfortunately I'll be a bit early, but will hopefully plan this better on a future trip. Still very grateful that you rescued my sanity re the reference in Brierley's guidebook.
Makkem; May catch up, will keep an eye out. I'm only two day's ahead when you start and that will be lost if I take in the festival in Santo Domingo, which I would love to do.
Carol06; Thanks for the comment re accommodation. My plan however is to do the whole trip pilgrim style.
Like you Peter, fist time using a forum and absolutely blown away by the generosity of spirit of its members!
I also laugh at myself daily because I have posted my best wishes for
Like you Peter, first time using a forum and absolutely blown away by the generosity of spirit of its members! .....and laughing at myself everyday as I navigate through such a massive wealth of information and I post in wrong sections, reply publicly intead of privately to members, etc, etc!
Buen viaje y camino!

Small world Carol....you are in Mangawhai and I'm in Whangaparaoa!
Hi Mima. How cool is that? The Camino lovers has people from everywhere. There are quite a few people here in Mangawhai who have walked it too. We are heading to Italy in April to walk 800 on the Via Francigena to Rome.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.