• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction

maxcruzing

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife, Penny and I completed the Costal Camino.
Hello pilgrims,
My wife, Penny, and I are currently preparing for our second Camino staring on: 06 Mar 22. Foremost, one must have the upmost respect for anyone endeavoring a longer Camino such as the Camino Frances (French Way) or the Camino Portuguese from Lisboa. My wife and I completed the approximately 200 mile Costal Camino de Portuguese from Porto, Portugal, to Santiago last Summer and we had such a memorable adventure though it was tough at times - and I can’t imagine what it must like to complete a weeks long Camino. The next Camino we’re planning on accomplishing is the not well known Spiritual Variant of the Camino de Portugues starting just south of Pontevedra, which based on the mileage should just qualify to receive the Compostela (certificate of completion). If there’s no objection, I‘d like to post comments regarding our preparation along with photos and explanations of our experiences once we start “The Way.” Presently, Penny and I are Americans living in the wondrous Algrave region at the south of Portugal, which is a great place to train for our upcoming Camino pilgrimage. More to follow…
Bom Camino,

Gerry

Attachments

• 8B32B4B3-4717-43DB-B6ED-63F6EE0B1AC3.jpeg
    8B32B4B3-4717-43DB-B6ED-63F6EE0B1AC3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 5FDEA61C-2E87-444F-A731-5BF4B2524F1C.jpeg
    5FDEA61C-2E87-444F-A731-5BF4B2524F1C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 33
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello & welcome. I walked the CF last year and I am planning the CP from Porto including the spiritual variant in September. Looking forward to your posts

Hello & welcome. I walked the CF last year and I am planning the CP from Porto including the spiritual variant in September. Looking forward to your posts
Wow, it’s fantastic you’ve completed the Camino Frances. I might have been able in my younger days to finish such a challenging endeavor but now I’d have great difficulties. Are you planning on doing the Costal Camino or the Central Camino Portuguese this September. I found the costal route to be quite memorable. Bom Camino…

Attachments

• A164333E-8493-4EA0-8729-98EBD7DDEBB0.jpeg
    A164333E-8493-4EA0-8729-98EBD7DDEBB0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 3FAE47D3-856B-4D2E-BC85-3BC40D81B3BE.jpeg
    3FAE47D3-856B-4D2E-BC85-3BC40D81B3BE.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • E8BC8826-050A-4274-9C4F-D33E43F73599.jpeg
    E8BC8826-050A-4274-9C4F-D33E43F73599.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, it’s fantastic you’ve completed the Camino Frances. I might have been able in my younger days to finish such a challenging endeavor but now I’d have great difficulties. Are you planning on doing the Costal Camino or the Central Camino Portuguese this September. I found the costal route to be quite memorable. Bom Camino…
I am planning to do the coastal route. Not sure how old you are but at 68 and retired I took it slowly and enjoyed every step of the way. Bom Camino

I am planning to do the coastal route. Not sure how old you are but at 68 and retired I took it slowly and enjoyed every step of the way. Bom Camino
I’m 68 yrs young as well. I’d like to suggest starting the Costal Camino heading west on the Rio Douro at the south of Porto (perhaps from the Cathedra de Porto) and head north when you get to the Atlantic Ocean. There‘s interesting sights along the way and you’ll see the first Camino Shell not long after heading north. Bom Camino…

Attachments

• 73B5429B-C3A6-4E09-99B4-15867D3C697A.jpeg
    73B5429B-C3A6-4E09-99B4-15867D3C697A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • D9EEFA74-1292-4204-9236-D6D15DC96839.jpeg
    D9EEFA74-1292-4204-9236-D6D15DC96839.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
I’m 68 yrs young as well. I’d like to suggest starting the Costal Camino heading west on the Rio Douro at the south of Porto (perhaps from the Cathedra de Porto) and head north when you get to the Atlantic Ocean. There‘s interesting sights along the way and you’ll see the first Camino Shell not long after heading north. Bom Camino…
Thanks for the advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi maxcruzing!
Did the Spiritual beginning 2nd OCT 21 beautiful route i stayed in Combarro, Armentiera and Villa Nova de Arousa and after the translatio stayed in Padron. (i am 67 )

(In Armentiera i stayed at the monastery i highly recommend staying here and attending the pilgrim blessing which sister Paula did in English for me; as i was the only English speaker at the blessing.
However breakfast is a DIY set up of coffee and biscuits!
From Pontevedra to Combarro was a great walk and not to strenuous arrived in Combarro at 1pm lovely place. Stayed two nights.
(On the morning of my departure from Combarro i got a whats app message from Sue(airdog on here)and Beth; it warned me not to attempt the path down to Armentiera said it was best to get a taxi as path down was ,steep,narrow and rocky and to dangerous for me(sight impaired) If you read this Sue/Beth thanks!!
If you can see where you are going it shouldn't be an issue for you:)

I would defo get the boat from Villa Nova de Arousa as a great part of the Spiritual(as long as your walk starts 100 km from Santiago and you do the boat it still qualifies for a Compostela)
Hope you have a really wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

They are singing on the boat in Portuguese i think still not sure great atmosphere.
Where the boat leaves Villa Nova de Arousa
Combarro having tea!

Attachments

• VID-20211008-WA0028.mp4
    24.3 MB
  • VID-20211007-WA0004.mp4
    13.3 MB
  • VID-20211003-WA0032.mp4
    10.9 MB
Last edited:
If there’s no objection, I‘d like to post comments regarding our preparation along with photos and explanations of our experiences once we start “The Way.”
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I will move this thread over to the forum section for the Variante Spiritual. You should find some interesting threads there.

We look forward to your live reports - either in this same thread or in a new one once you start walking!

Hello. I am happy that you will be sharing your journey.
I hope to walk the CP and include the Variante Spiritual this June, arriving from the US. I have been on the CF three times, but this is my first time on the CP and am looking for any input that will help calm my uncertainties about this new adventure. I look forward to hearing about your experience!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are planning to do the coastal route in May. We are also retired and planning to take our time. Can’t wait. Will be following this thread. Thanks

Hi maxcruzing!
Did the Spiritual beginning 2nd OCT 21 beautiful route i stayed in Combarro, Armentiera and Villa Nova de Arousa and after the translatio stayed in Padron. (i am 67 )

(In Armentiera i stayed at the monastery i highly recommend staying here and attending the pilgrim blessing which sister Paula did in English for me; as i was the only English speaker at the blessing.
However breakfast is a DIY set up of coffee and biscuits!
From Pontevedra to Combarro was a great walk and not to strenuous arrived in Combarro at 1pm lovely place. Stayed two nights.
(On the morning of my departure from Combarro i got a whats app message from Sue(airdog on here)and Beth; it warned me not to attempt the path down to Armentiera said it was best to get a taxi as path down was ,steep,narrow and rocky and to dangerous for me(sight impaired) If you read this Sue/Beth thanks!!
If you can see where you are going it shouldn't be an issue for you:)

I would defo get the boat from Villa Nova de Arousa as a great part of the Spiritual(as long as your walk starts 100 km from Santiago and you do the boat it still qualifies for a Compostela)
Hope you have a really wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

They are singing on the boat in Portuguese i think still not sure great atmosphere.
Where the boat leaves Villa Nova de Arousa
Combarro having tea!
Ola,
Many thanks for the information, especially regarding that treacherous portion of the trail. I’m preparing for the Camino with some hikes along the coast at the Algrave (photos attached) at the south of Portugal that includes some scrabbling, but my wife and I are not fond of exposure where there’s a risk of falling. Hopefully, we’ll be able to attend the pilgrims blessing when staying in the area.
Bom Camino…

Gerardum (given Latin name)

Attachments

• 5FCE46F6-7A9B-490C-9674-D1F5E4AE5CF2.jpeg
    5FCE46F6-7A9B-490C-9674-D1F5E4AE5CF2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 1326C20A-57F8-4C55-BB09-F5966B94CE3A.jpeg
    1326C20A-57F8-4C55-BB09-F5966B94CE3A.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
Hello pilgrims,
My wife, Penny, and I are currently preparing for our second Camino staring on: 06 Mar 22. Foremost, one must have the upmost respect for anyone endeavoring a longer Camino such as the Camino Frances (French Way) or the Camino Portuguese from Lisboa. My wife and I completed the approximately 200 mile Costal Camino de Portuguese from Porto, Portugal, to Santiago last Summer and we had such a memorable adventure though it was tough at times - and I can’t imagine what it must like to complete a weeks long Camino. The next Camino we’re planning on accomplishing is the not well known Spiritual Variant of the Camino de Portugues starting just south of Pontevedra, which based on the mileage should just qualify to receive the Compostela (certificate of completion). If there’s no objection, I‘d like to post comments regarding our preparation along with photos and explanations of our experiences once we start “The Way.” Presently, Penny and I are Americans living in the wondrous Algrave region at the south of Portugal, which is a great place to train for our upcoming Camino pilgrimage. More to follow…
Bom Camino,

enjoy your next caminho.
maybe I see you in Santiago, being voluntier for the AAC end of March to the mid of April this year .
The Variante Espiritual in the meantime is well known by many pilgrims by now.
it is a beautifull walk although tougher than the Coastal you did before.
especially the steep walk from Combarro to the Monastry of Armenteira .
But the reward is the walk from Armenteira on the track Pedras e Augas, following a medieval path along a small river . Very beautiful

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
maybe I see you in Santiago, being voluntier for the AAC end of March to the mid of April this year .
The Variante Espiritual in the meantime is well known by many pilgrims by now.
it is a beautifull walk although tougher than the Coastal you did before.
especially the steep walk from Combarro to the Monastry of Armenteira .
But the reward is the walk from Armenteira on the track Pedras e Augas, following a medieval path along a small river . Very beautiful
When my wife and I did the Armenteira climb, the altimeter app on my cellphone showed the monastery at 265 meters. It took us 4 hours, going at a leisurely pace, to make that 13 km ascent from Combarro. My wife hates climbs because of some medical issues and even she didn't think it was that bad. My recollection is that most of the trail was gradual, with some of it following paved roads.

When my wife and I did the Armenteira climb, the altimeter app on my cellphone showed the monastery at 265 meters. It took us 4 hours, going at a leisurely pace, to make that 13 km ascent from Combarro. My wife hates climbs because of some medical issues and even she didn't think it was that bad. My recollection is that most of the trail was gradual, with some of it following paved roads.
Many thanks for the useful information as I now have an idea of what to expect. I’ve started conditioning hikes of 10+ mile distances here in the Algarve that includes some scrabbling but not much in the way of elevation gain, and hopefully my wife and I will be prepared for the Camino the first week of March.
Buen Camino…

If I decide to skip the boat and walk from Villanova de Arrussa to Pontecesures, Can I split that walk? Are there places to stay?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I will move this thread over to the forum section for the Variante Spiritual. You should find some interesting threads there.

We look forward to your live reports - either in this same thread or in a new one once you start walking!
Sounds good, I’ll look for the thread on the other forum…

If I decide to skip the boat and walk from Villanova de Arrussa to Pontecesures, Can I split that walk? Are there places to stay?
There is a road from Vila Nova the Arousa via Villagarcia and Catoira to Padron
about 30 kms. A overnight stop could be in Catoira moreless halfway

All systems are a GO for my wife & me starting our Variante Spiritual Camino on Mar 6, and in checking the 10 day weather forecast for Santiago there seems to be an uptick in the temperatures. Hopefully, this is an indication that Spring is beginning to arise in the region…

Attachments

• 7FC40468-B750-493F-A80E-D3853BB7D749.png
    7FC40468-B750-493F-A80E-D3853BB7D749.png
    644.2 KB · Views: 16
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was wondering if anyone can describe if it’s easy to find the location of the Spiritual Variant trailhead off of the Portuguese Central Way in Pontevedra.

Hi Gerry!
Very easy to find the start of VE as you walk the Central from Pontevedra about 3 km out on the way there is a large sign on your left telling you that this is the start of the Spiritual ; right next to the little foot bridge you cross to start the VE.
Woody

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone can describe if it’s easy to find the location of the Spiritual Variant trailhead off of the Portuguese Central Way in Pontevedra.
Yes, very easy. Leave Pontevedra by crossing the Lérez River on the Ponte de Burgo bridge. You'll walk through some suburbs for roughly 15 minutes but it's well posted with the yellow Camino arrows and signs. You'll emerge into some countryside with the railroad tracks to your left and shortly come to a bridge crossing over those tracks. A yellow sign will be posted right before the bridge with an arrow to the left saying “Camino Portugués A Santiago VARIANTE ESPIRITUAL.” You can't miss it. The sign even gives elevations and distances between various points on the Spiritual Variant. Go left over the bridge and you're on the Spiritual Variant; continue straight past the bridge and you'll stay on the main trail to Caldas de Reis.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just follow the yellow waymarkers out of Pontevedra in the direction of Caldas de Reis and after about 4 kilometers there are 2 very big signs pointing to the left over a small bridge. There starts” a Ruta das Salnés aka el variante espiritual .

The sign nearby the small bridge outside Pontevedra

Attachments

• 94BBD93F-56FC-4369-A611-0939005FB1FA.jpeg
    94BBD93F-56FC-4369-A611-0939005FB1FA.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 15
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Starting at the cathedral of Porto you’ll get your first stamp in your credential
just descend from there to the Douro river and walk along the river at your right side untill you reach the ocean, about half an hour walk. Then keep the ocean at your left , following the yellow waymarkers to Matosinhos.
in Matosinhos at the port is a bridge. Cross the bridge and follow the waymarkers . You are definitively on the coastal caminho .

in Vila do Conde at the bridge over the river you can turn to the right and follow the waymarkers to the central route to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos, Vitorino dos Piães (don’t forget to stay at Casa da Fernanda, your unforgetable caminho experience ) Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho into Spain.
turning to the left - that means underneath the bridge and following the waymarkers you keep on the coastal direction Póvoa de Varzim , Esposende, Viana do Castelo, Vila Praia de Âncora and Caminho into Spain ( by ferry or fisherman’s boat ) or follow the Ecopista path along the Minho river to Vila Nova de Cerveira to Valença do Minho where you hit the central route to Santiago.

the variante Espiritual route you will encouter in Spain just after Pontevedra. See my other post in this thread

. bom caminho

Last edited:
We are planning to do the coastal route in May. We are also retired and planning to take our time. Can’t wait. Will be following this thread. Thanks
I will also be doing the Costal route in May I arrive in Madrid on the 20th., and will stay to relax for two days and on Sunday. I will take a train to Bilbao where I will stay overnight and leave in the morning. Buen Camino

I will also be doing the Costal route in May I arrive in Madrid on the 20th., and will stay to relax for two days and on Sunday. I will take a train to Bilbao where I will stay overnight and leave in the morning. Buen Camino
Are you walking the Portuguese caminho from Bilbao ? Maybe you are on the wrong forum.
maybe you are going to walk the camino del Norte along the Spanish Atlantic coast 🤭

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Starting at the cathedral of Porto you’ll get your first stamp in your credential
just descend from there to the Douro river and walk along the river at your right side untill you reach the ocean, about half an hour walk.

Could you show this on a map as I could have sworn the Douro was on the left (after you get down the hill). I've attached a map from the Cathedral to Matosinhos to illustrate it.

Attachments

• Douro.jpg
    Douro.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 17
Yes, very easy. Leave Pontevedra by crossing the Lérez River on the Ponte de Burgo bridge. You'll walk through some suburbs for roughly 15 minutes but it's well posted with the yellow Camino arrows and signs. You'll emerge into some countryside with the railroad tracks to your left and shortly come to a bridge crossing over those tracks. A yellow sign will be posted right before the bridge with an arrow to the left saying “Camino Portugués A Santiago VARIANTE ESPIRITUAL.” You can't miss it. The sign even gives elevations and distances between various points on the Spiritual Variant. Go left over the bridge and you're on the Spiritual Variant; continue straight past the bridge and you'll stay on the main trail to Caldas de Reis.
Many thanks for the information. I was worried that I might walk passed the trail but now its good to know the location is clearly indicated with a sign. Regards…

Hi Gerry!
Very easy to find the start of VE as you walk the Central from Pontevedra about 3 km out on the way there is a large sign on your left telling you that this is the start of the Spiritual ; right next to the little foot bridge you cross to start the VE.
Woody
Woody-
Approximately how many extra days doe the VE add to the Porto to Santiago route?
Thanks...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am planning this as well. Since it sounds as though you have some experience with this route, how many walking days did you take to reach Santiago? Also, did you add the spiritual variante as well?
Thanks for your advice...

Woody-
Approximately how many extra days doe the VE add to the Porto to Santiago route?
Thanks...
Many thanks for the advice. I was worried that I might walk pass the trailhead of the VE and then have to back track. All systems are a GO for the start on Monday…

Hi LynneR
Only you know on how far you are comfortable walking each day but from Pontevedra to Santiago on the CENTRAL the stages are approx and 3 days walking.
PONTEVEDRA~ CALDAS DE REIS 23 KM
CALDAS DE REIS~ PADRON 20KM
PADRON~ SANTIAGO 25KM
(You can obviously moderate these by splitting stages if your health limits your walking ability;adding extra days))
The Spiritual it's suggested that there are two walking days and then the boat to approx 4 km from Padron and then the walk to Santiago!!

PONTEVEDRA~ARMENTIERA 23 KM
ARMENTIERA ~ VILLA NOVA DE AROUSA 23KM
BOAT 28KM~ (+4km ) to Padron
PADRON~SANTIAGO 25KM
( if the boat leaves early mine; left at 8.20 am and your fit enough and want to head straight to Santiago from the boat it is doable and you wouldn't need extra days!)
Anyway here's my 5 cents worth;don'rush the VE it is the best bit of the Coastal!
(I stayed 2 nights Combarro,1 night Monastery in Armentiera and 2 nights in Villa nova de Arousa then 1 night in Padron.) because i didn't have time constraints!
Have a wonderful walk
BEUN CAMINO
Woody
(sorry LynneR forgot this bit from Porto to Santiago including the VE i walked on 16 days in total some short some long plus lots of rest days to explore (27 days in total).
Checkout GRONZE and Stingy Nomads websites for more info)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife and I are starting in Redondela and taking six stages to complete the journey, which should allow for ample time to see the sights without having to complete a lot of miles per day. I was considering posting photos, but was wondering if there’s a limit as to how many photos should posted on a forum each day. I thought I saw one photo per day is requested. Buen Camino…

You can certainly post more than one photo per day.(Only one special thread requests just one per day.) I have personally posted as many as five in one post, as have others. When posting a few, it is usually requested that you choose the "thumbprint" option when inserting the pictures.

You can certainly post more than one photo per day.(Only one special thread requests just one per day.) I have personally posted as many as five in one post, as have others. When posting a few, it is usually requested that you choose the "thumbprint" option when inserting the pictures.
Thanks for the information, though I’ll need to see how to add ”thumbprint” photos. I‘ll limit the number of posted photos each day and post a greater number as a media entry after the conclusion of the adventure. Buen Camino…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When you post text you will see an "attach file" at the bottom. Click on it and you will have an option to go to your files, choose photos, then select it. It will then show up in your textbox, giving two options, Thumbprint or Full view to click on; then click send.

Rolled into Padron today to which completes the Variante Espiritual del Camino Portugues portion of this Camino endeavor. My wife, Penny, and I will complete the final stage tomorrow into Santiago on the Central Route that will mark the end of this pilgrimage. After having done both the Central Route and the Variante Espiritual I would recommend doing the Central Route of the two. Though, rather than taking a boat taxi from Vilanova de Arousa to Padron, we opted to trek along the coast, whereas many people opt for the boat ride as a nice way to relax prior to the final stage into Santiago. I’m glad to have done both routes but found that the Central Route has more interesting sights, and a certain feel of being on a Camino pilgrimage. There’s also more cafes, grocery markets and restaurants along the Central way. Of course there were many moments and people that I interacted with on the Variante Espiritual Camino whose memory will stay with me for years to come. Buen Camino…
I am starting the spiritual variant tomorrow and I hope to take the boat from Vilanova. Even though you opted to walk was the boat available?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back