• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introvert or Extrovert?

lunna

Time of past OR future Camino
frances; lisboa-muxia; norte+bayonne; vdlp; le puy; voie d'arles+aragones; geneva to ales
Although I really like being with most people, when the opportunity presents, the truth is that I spend so much time walking solo, both on the camino and at home, often by preference, that I am most definitely an introvert (though I can be pretty chatty when I am with others - usually!)

How about you all?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm an introvert. I like being with people and I am social, but I find that people drain me....especially the ones that like to talk. I need some alone time to recharge. I'm hoping the camino will give me the opportunity to be social and to also break away and have some time alone.

Although I really like being with most people, when the opportunity presents, the truth is that I spend so much time walking solo, both on the camino and at home, often by preference, that I am most definitely an introvert (though I can be pretty chatty when I am with others - usually!)

How about you all?
Hi Lunna, I'm an introvert. But I had two teenage sons so I had to learn to make them laugh or they might have thought me tediously uncool. I've been practising to be a fake extrovert for 40 years or so and it's comforting to ease back into my real self most of the time. I expect that The Camino is a special case for many, normal rules might not apply - most people of either stripe will want to meditate/walk alone much of the time. At least those who have earned their grey hair like me. I think that we are the lucky ones - we have learned to be extroverted if need be, but a real extrovert must find it difficult to explore the meditative solitude of the intelligent introvert. See you out there - alone together. Buen Camino, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am introvert by nature, but extroversion has been thrust upon me -- or I have put it on myself because no one else will take the reins.
At the end of it all, I find these kinds of labels are not helpful.
If we're flexible and mature, we can be all things to all people, get the job done and the babies tucked into bed...
and then go for a 3-hour walk under the stars, all alone!

I have met many people who claim to be introverts, and I feel that I am an introvert, but my wife kills herself at the very thought of that, add to that the fact that some of the people who are answering this question and even the one who asked it, are never off this forum, I respectfully ask the question can we judge ourselves or do we need to leave that to others?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do not consider this to be judging, but rather, when it works for us, as a way to understand ourselves a little better and to accept that others are different from us. I found the Meyers-Briggs Personality Inventory very useful in showing me that, as an introvert, it takes me a lot of energy to interact with others, particularly socially. So I withdraw when I need to and others are saved from my being tired and grumpy. And I understand better those who get energy from being social and can party endlessly. The other thing that I like about this inventory is the suggestion that older adults gradually adopt some of the characteristic preferences of people who are their opposites. Fifty years ago, I don't think I could have lived for a couple of months in large co-ed albergues. I figure that if accepting one's own needs and those of others makes us easier to live with and travel with, that benefits everyone. But only you know what your needs and preferences really are.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm an introvert, not shy but I need lots of alone time. Peg mentioned to me that on the Camino I did a lot of talking (for me.) I said that was because I was the one who spoke some Spanish and she replied that I did it with everyone. Maybe that says something about the Camino.

We walked the Camino together and it took us two months to do the Camino Frances. I did need a good amount of solitude after that.

A friend's kids, both pre-teens, went on a mini-walk with me in NYC a couple of weeks ago and the younger one said I'm 'walkative.' :) Very astute nine year old I must say!

When I'm in my element (walking), I definitely open up to those around me - walking really puts me at ease - even more so than just traveling. In other situations, I'm for sure a classic introvert.

Functional Introvert
:)
meaning: i am perfectly happy to give presentation, talks in front of large groups of people, enjoy a fine party with lots of fun and laughter; chat with other kind pilgrims; yet to re-energize myself i need alone time and reflection; silence and quiet time are relished with gusto and deeply appreciated!

Quoting Parker Palmer again:
"Solitude does not mean living apart from others; it means never living apart from one's self."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Introvert but that is also a comparative term. On a scale 1-10 of introversion (1: borderline extrovert, 10: hermit), I'm an 8.5 so really, really need time alone to recharge especially when I'm tired.

My hubby is also an introvert but about a 4. We walked the Camino Frances together often not talking for hours and quite comfortable with it. We are used to self supported walks in remote areas where we meet few, if any, other trekkers and I was quite apprehensive about the Camino. Really enjoyed it though and the company of other pilgrims as well as meeting local people. Just needed large chunks of time on my own to compensate.

Hard to say. I found myself alone a lot during the day. My main interest on the Camino was photography. I had no interest in hitting the road before dawn and arriving at my destination by lunch and then spending the rest of the day sitting around sipping wine waiting for dinner. I was often one of the last to leave in the morning. I piddled and farted around all day looking for good photo ops, chatting with local residents in small towns (I am a retired Spanish teacher), talking with school age kids whenever possible. I attended pilgrim masses whenever I could, and it became an obsession to get to do the reading in Spanish. That often involved arriving at the church in advance and trying to button hole the priest or sacristan to set it up. I kind of lost count, but I believe I did it 16 times, including on the high altar in Santiago at the Friday evening "swinging" Mass. I thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with other pilgrims, however, but they were limited due to my other interests. If I had been with a companion or companions, I am sure I would have been told, "Take the damn picture and let's GO!" As a result, I probably didn't develop as extensive a Camino "family" as others, but I do have over 8,000 photographs and a couple hundred video clips to remember it by. And, I really want to do it again within the next couple of years!

It is interesting that no-one claims to be an extrovert. It must be unfashionable.

I think it is pretty unhelpful to put people in boxes. We now know the brain is always changing so today's introvert may be tomorrow's extrovert. Not that I think there is any objective science behind most of these labels anyway.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am an introvert, my wife an extrovert. I am a teacher, pastor and clinical therapist. I listen carefully and answer or speak slowly if I need to speak at all. I love being around individuals or small groups of people. I always find time for my aloneness. My wife and I can spend much time together without speaking and sometimes speaking a lot if I know my subject at hand. We start our Camino in 1 month and I am looking forward to it to be with my wife and to meet others on the way.

Functional Introvert
meaning: i am perfectly happy to give presentation, talks in front of large groups of people, enjoy a fine party with lots of fun and laughter; chat with other kind pilgrims; yet to re-energize myself i need alone time and reflection; silence and quiet time are relished with gusto and deeply appreciated!"
Exactly the same for me. I can perform in an extrovert manner when I need to and it does not in any way upset me, but I default to the introvert side of the spectrum when left to my own devices. I also have a need for 'me' time, to be alone with my thoughts and in my world. When I was last on the Camino I spent some of that me time pondering why I needed such 'me' time in the first place. The Camino and Life, they are journeys we have taken on and hopefully we learn a little along the way.

€60,-
I am an introvert, and it's one reason I'm considering the North route over Camino Frances. I am not a fan of big crowds, and don't mind hiking alone, lost in my thoughts!

Yes, exactly. I think it depends on what we ate for breakfast. But congratulations on being a self confessed extrovert. I was beginning to think they were like the dinosaurs. Extinct. Damien, you are a courageous man.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is interesting that no-one claims to be an extrovert. It must be unfashionable.

I think it is pretty unhelpful to put people in boxes. We now know the brain is always changing so today's introvert may be tomorrow's extrovert. Not that I think there is any objective science behind most of these labels anyway.
Hi Kanga, it's just a guess, but maybe the extroverts don't spend so much time on internet fora. (I just took the test and it came up with ISFJ)

Last edited by a moderator:
Extrovert person who loves to walk in solitude and let the thoughts be my only companion (but I tend to talk to my self loud). A "talky" individ when with people. According to MBTI I'm a ESTJ Extraverted Sensing Thinking Judging (Extraverted Thinking with Introverted Sensing).

€60,-

How about you all?
I'm an introvert. I can interact with one or possibly two people for a long time but the more people there are the more I want to get away, unless they are funny in which case I love them.

I'm with ricka. I live alone in the woods and love it. I can enjoy conversation with one or possibly two people but more than two, I clam up and just listen. I'm looking forward to meeting people one my first camino, but at the community dinners, I'll be the quiet one.

How about you all?
Traditionally, most people we see in media are probably extroverts. Except some actors who are paradoxically very shy - some seem to become actors because they like hiding within the persona of an imaginary character, and clam up while on an interview show, for instance.

I think that on social media, the introverts come out to play. And quite a few who live in their heads too much (helped a lot by the interwebs) turn out to be trolls.

We are all a mixture of both I. and E., surely. The tests show a spectrum. To say introversion doesn't exist is some kind of denial. Extroverts can be quiet, but introverts have to work pretty hard to mix in when we feel uncomfortable. We are social animals, so avoiding social contact is probably not a good idea.

I raised two sons and one was very shy and quiet when he was little - the other very outgoing and popular. I used to tell people that it was a bit of work getting to know the quiet guy, but well worth it. Everyone who made a bit of effort agreed and found him a complex and fascinating child.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just went on a local group hike this weekend (after doing a 20 and 10 mile hike solo the previous two days). We started in a group of thirty persons, and not surprisingly, I ended up walking with one person alone about a quarter of the way through. It was odd, too, that this hike was through places I've walked to solo - somehow, I felt like my personal space had been invaded (weird and unfair, I know, since I don't 'own' the trail). Some folks tell me I ought to be a tour guide, because I like exploring so much, but yesterday's experience once again convinced me, that's not me. I'm always happy to take photos and share or bore folks with them though, on my walkabouts.

Last edited:
My Meyers Briggs type is ISFJ, which is the more social of the introverts. However, that still comes at a cost and I know I will need my fair share of solitude to help me feel balanced and at ease within myself. Its pretty easy for me to slip into social extrovert because I genuinely love meeting people, but it is not refueling for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back