• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Introverts and Extroverts in the time of COVID

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I thought it would be interesting to raise the topic again of introverts vs. extroverts, as it relates to social/physical distancing and how well we cope with isolation. There have been several threads related to walking the camino, including this and this.

I consider myself moderately introverted. I enjoy a certain amount of social activity but prefer to be an observer rather than participant, and I usually come home longing for solitude.

For myself, I admit that my day-to-day life has not changed much at all. I am semi-retired and work from home anyway, although the work has lessened considerably for various reasons. Two major trips and two smaller ones have been cancelled for the next few months. I have the company of my husband. Instead of shopping almost daily, we are down to once of twice per week. We probably won't be visiting our adult kids so often (but that was generally only every couple of weeks). We might continue to care for 2 grandchildren occasionally - that is another story I don't want to go into, here.

My bottom line is that I am not alarmed or disturbed at all by not being able to have closer contact with a bunch of family and friends. I admit that I am in a very fortunate situation, without which I would not be so content - I have good health, a husband, house, yard, places to walk and most importantly, the INTERNET!

I can live quite happily for awhile, without more social interactions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,
We are 5 here in quarantine in A Coruña, 4 of us are
introverts but my youngest (15) is an extreme extrovert and she is having an awful time with this, so that means her parents as well.... But we march on, it has to end sometime.
Here is a short video of a concert my husband and I played for our neighbors. A little pick me up for the introverts and extroverts all at home!!
Buen camino,
MaryEllen
I'll keep trying video didn't work

Last edited:
I started volunteering at the local food-bank yesterday. They have shut down the building to the public, so are taking pre-packed boxes of food stuffs (in 2 weight sizes depending on the numbers in a household) directly to the cars. They are either placed in the trunk of the car for those who need help, or are left next to the car for the occupants to place in their cars.

I am helping to carry the boxes out. I tried to help with packing the boxes, but even with 'social distancing' I was being drawn into conversations by other volunteers packing boxes. I am feeling a bit bad about it, but it was so tiring having to fake interest or engage back, that I asked to be assigned to box distribution instead.

I much prefer simply waving to the folks in the cars, and telling recipients a quick, "Your Welcome", when I drop off a box.

Hello,
We are 5 here in quarantine in A Coruña, 4 of us are
introverts but my youngest (15) is an extreme extrovert and she is having an awful time with this, so that means her parents as well.... But we march on, it has to end sometime.
Here is a short video of a concert my husband and I played for our neighbors. A little pick me up for the introverts and extroverts all at home!!
Buen camino,
MaryEllen
I'll keep trying video didn't work
View attachment IMG_1448.MOV

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for sharing your video. I would like to be one of your neighbors and listen to your beautiful music.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm in self isolation since Saturday the 14th, both me and my partner woke up with varying symptoms of a 'cold'. I told work on Monday, but they said because we didn't have a high temp or persistent cough I should go in but because one of the effects I was having was diarrhoea they said not to come in for 48 hours. The UK government changed its advice on Tuesday, so now I am on 14 days Isolation. I didn't realise until Friday that we were still able to go out, but with Certain conditions, such as not going to public places, shops, public transport and maintaining social distancing. So me and my partner went for a walk on Friday and fortunately because we choose a very isolated way out of Exeter, we did not cross paths with anyone, only occasionally people passing us in Cars, Today we went a different way, potentially more risky, but when we did see other people we keep them a good 5 metres distant, only once was it encroached when a youngish man, talking to friends on his mobile suddenly crossed the road to where we were oblivious to us and almost brushed into me. There was lots of friendly smiles on our excersise session and a few hellos. People didn't look like they wanted to stop and speak to us, which was perfect. Any used hankies by me and there were plenty were kept in one pocket and would be disposed of at home. I even got to get some precious immune system boosting while pushing myself up a steep rise, which an old school army medic friend of mine assures me is perfect for boosting my immune system. So all in all my introvertness has not been tested and my extrovert side is on ice until a suitable time.

Irony: mostly introverts replying to this thread (and I make one more)
We’re not in lockdown in NZ yet but plenty of health professionals (over 3000 have signed a petition) are saying we should be. So I’ve chosen voluntary self-isolation and am tired out by my teens wanting to challenge that decision!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting thread. I enjoy engaging with people for limited amounts of time and have always had jobs involving lots of human interaction as a fundraiser. I am retired now but volunteer for our helicopter rescue service and am President of our District Lawn Bowls Association. Never quite sure which of the two camps I fall into. I’m only going out when we need supplies and to keep up my walking training - practicing social distancing of course. Stay safe my dear online friends!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The lockdown here has changed pretty basically nothing in my personal daily life, except I go down to the shops a bit less less frequently -- I've been living as if in self-quarantine for a few years now, with just some occasional forays into social life ; even down at the retired persons canteen where I take the occasional meal I eat alone at my own table.

I do have a great deal of sympathy for those of you who are extroverted or even just semi-extroverted, and I suppose that the discomfit that you may be feeling if you're stuck in one of these lockdowns must be similar to a degree with the one we more extreme intoverts can feel in the more typical conditions of hectic crowd life.

Truth be told though, I'm finding the extension of solitude into even the most typically public places 'round here to make my excursions "out there" more pleasant than usual ; except for the queuing aspect.

In many ways life 'round here these days reminds me of what it used to be like, last Century, in Paris in the month of August ...

Given the number of introverts who have outed themselves on this forum I suspect that the collapse of electronic communication would be more devastating than a sentence of self-isolation.

Given the number of introverts who have outed themselves on this forum I suspect that the collapse of electronic communication would be more devastating than a sentence of self-isolation.
I so agree! I am amazed by the number of introverts that have responded! It has confirmed my suspicion that many forum seeker like it for the reason that they can interact on their own terms! I am for sure, one such individual, so I am self-disclosing. I love to interact with others on my own terms, which means I can shut off the computer when I want. I am somewhere in the middle between introvert and extrovert. My husband is the serious extrovert, and I am seeing his anxiety. But since we live on 70 acres, on a hill, in the mountains of southern Colorado, our lives are less disturbed than most. I am quite content, at home, writing for my websites. But my husband misses his forays to the local supply store/restaurant and the fire department, where he hangs out, chats and volunteers. This too shall pass! Stay safe all my virtual friends out there!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm an extrovert and love meeting people, chatting and finding out their stories. This situation is driving me crazy. I didn't meet many introverts on my camino, I think, and if I did they are probably still in therapy. :)
Wayfarer! Thanks for my first morning laugh! I'm still laughing each time I read your comment.

Probably introvert unless alcohol is involved haha! Thank goodness for the internet during these restricted times. At the moment we can go for a walk keeping at least 2 metres apart but I think on the horizon I can see that going out of the window (excuse the pun). For those looking for something to do many free apps are available on the internet to while away an hour or so. Luminosity, Sudoku and jigsaws will keep the brain ticking over. I especially like the Jigsaw that lets you upload your photos, for me photos of the camino are great jigsaws.
Take care and stay safe.

my youngest (15) is an extreme extrovert and she is having an awful time with this, so that means her parents as well.
Oy. Hang in there, @Betterisgood !
I didn't meet many introverts on my camino, I think, and if I did they are probably still in therapy. :)
🤣
Well, gee, Wayfarer, thanks! A laugh right now is precious.

I'm definitely an introvert. Not at all antisocial, but I need quiet recharging time after being with a lot of people. So I'm really feeling for you who are extroverts right now - and wonder if it feels like what we introverts go through when we go to a party.
o_O

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm an extrovert and love meeting people, chatting and finding out their stories. This situation is driving me crazy. I didn't meet many introverts on my camino, I think, and if I did they are probably still in therapy. :)
I belong to a choir and a singing group, both of which have closed, but have joined three online choirs, which are certainly amusing. We can’t hear everyone else sing because of the time lag. Last night, my husband and I had dinner with two of our friends via Skype (we’re in lockdown). Fun to chat to other people in odd situations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm on this Forum, I play 4 friends on WWF, and I follow a few blogs occasionally, but am not on FB, Instagram or Twitter(are there others?...I wouldn't know)...I'm considering signing up for Twitter, but not sure yet. With this newfound isolation maybe I should reconsider...or maybe I should just pick up the book I was reading on the beach in Florida on my recent vacation.:rolleyes:...decisions, decisions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
here is something that would work accross the board (I hope):
Hope springs eternal
Chuckling at the 2 views of the world here...

We'll probably be those people we were called to be for a while, but then it's just as likely we'll all forget again. Habits thake a long time to undo and you have to really want to undo them. And the egocentric habit is the most stubborn one of all...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Me too! On another thread we were termed as being ambivorts! 😊 I'm good with that!

I'm an extrovert while in social situations, but I hate parties and really prefer to be alone or with one friend. When it comes down to it, I'd much rather observe than participate, even though I am not shy. If socializing occurs spontaneously in a Camino setting, I'm very outgoing. But I don't seek out social groups ever. This maybe figures, because on every personality test, the opposite personality types are a tie for me (reflecting the opposite personalities of my parents, I tend to think). I'm an artist and a scientist. Anyway I guess I don't know if I'm an introvert or an extrovert?

I'm an extrovert while in social situations, but I hate parties and really prefer to be alone or with one friend. When it comes down to it, I'd much rather observe than participate, even though I am not shy. If socializing occurs spontaneously in a Camino setting, I'm very outgoing. But I don't seek out social groups ever. This maybe figures, because on every personality test, the opposite personality types are a tie for me (reflecting the opposite personalities of my parents, I tend to think). I'm an artist and a scientist. Anyway I guess I don't know if I'm an introvert or an extrovert?
You are your own very unique "Jillovert"! 😊

I'm an artist and a scientist. Anyway I guess I don't know if I'm an introvert or an extrovert?
Maybe it's called 'balanced'?
;)

Anyway, no-one is all one or the other.
In essence or over time. We're sometimes one, sometimes the other - depending on circumstance and conditions. To say ''I am an introvert," (which I did) is a shorthand for saying, "More of the time i tend to be an introvert, but sometimes I can be an exrovert."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
;)

In essence or over time. We're sometimes one, sometimes the other - depending on circumstance and conditions. To say ''I am an introvert," (which I did) is a shorthand for saying, "More of the time i tend to be an introvert, but sometimes I can be an exrovert."
Well stated and quite true for me too, VN, but I tend to be closer to 50/50.

We are not on lockdown yet, and it is hard to picture a bunch of southerners not wandering around town socializing. One of the reasons I really enjoy living in this small city on the coast of South Carolina is that, since the day I moved here by myself, without a job and knowing no one, people love to talk to each other. Pretty early on, when I knew a few people here, I learned to allow at least 45 minutes to go to the nearby supermarket to get a couple of things--most of the time was spent talking to new acquaintances. Due to the things I have done to earn a living and to keep fit since 1992, I now know a really large number of people, and shopping and going to the YMCA, etc. takes even longer. We do have all sorts of Facebook projects going on as we do our version of social distancing, including listing and supporting all the restaurants who are only permitted to do take-out or curbside.

It's fascinating that we see ourselves a certain way--in this case whether introverted or extroverted--then get feedback from someone else that changes how we view ourselves. For most of my life (the first 44), I was an introvert in that being among others didn't bother me, rather extended or multiple interactions with others were mentally exhausting; like I had to give something of myself away. I was more a sentinel, accustomed to watching over others on the periphery than being part of a crowd.

When my adult son and I walked the CF in 2016, it was right after he returned home from five yrs in the military (during those yrs, we only saw him briefly 2/x a yr). I experienced great positive change in my life during that same period, which tilted the scales much more toward being extroverted and genuinely interested in others outside my tribe.

Around the time we reached Burgos, he made a comment that I haven't forgotten: he said, "Who are you and what have you done with my dad?" He went on to say that in all his life he had never seen me this way (e.g., enjoying conversations with multiple people along The Way), and wasn't sure what to make of it. I think it was a combination of life/attitude changes, the Camino, good coffee and beer, and spending time with interesting people from all over who shared their stories. That experience became part of who I am and the effects remain evident.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
;)

I agree with this statement that we are all, for the most part, both. Much of our behavior, imo, is dictated by environment (places we are comfortable) and with whom we are interacting ( spouse, family and friends versus strangers).We are more extroverted, imo, in these familiar circumstances. That said, when it comes to unfamiliar places/new environments and strangers many people, imo, are more introverted.

There are also those who are just innately gregarious and those who are non gregarious but these extremes represent a smaller part of the population, imo.

Joe

Last edited:
People can be so exhausting.
Especially people who are satisfied with the surface of things. But even dim bulbs do give some light. And I do not refer to intellectual ability.
So if I have to interact with them I try to find that thing that I can learn from them or if it is just not to be like this person. It is the art of conversation for me to go to those places where I find them truly remarkable.
Most people feel that I am genuinely interested and then they tell me their life story. So much to see and to learn. So I guess I am an introvert with a lot of fuzzy people around me. That is why I love the Camino for contemplation and alone time, so refreshing.
But I like to start interactions. You just have to know how ro take it. With Italians I can talk and talk and talk without any deep thoughts. My friend from Finnland seem to be very monosyllabic, but that’s ok with me too. The two French retired police officers I meet in Santiago great conversation I do not speak a lot of French and the two did not speak anything else but French. but he was so right when he said you do not walk with your legs. So yes I like communicating so I may be an extrovert after all.😆

Hello,
A friend of mine who is an extrovert by nature was having trouble relating to her very 'shy’ daughter, she educated herself in order to help her daughter, I benefited from her research.
What she learned was that extrovert/introvert is not the same as shy/outgoing, anyone can be a combination of both. What is basically different from extrovert /introvert is how a individual needs to 'recharge' the extrovert will want to be with others, the introvert will want to be alone. This definition really helped me understand myself . I have always been outgoing and assumed I was an extrovert until recently, however I would get saturated rather quickly, I never thought of myself as an introvert but now I know I am, I absolutely need time to myself and given the choice that is how I will spend my time. The Camino really let's everyone have bit of both, I imagine that is why we all like it so much.....
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What is basically different from extrovert /introvert is how a individual needs to 'recharge' the extrovert will want to be with others, the introvert will want to be alone.

That is very perceptive.

Some people have posited the need to be alone as being a trait inherited from our Neanderthal ancestors, and it's anecdotally true that black Africans (who have the lowest % of DNA from Neanderthal sources, sometimes even as low as 0%, although about 40% of their DNA is distributed throughout our own species) are generally a lot more gregarious and extroverted and group-oriented than many of us.

Last edited:
What is basically different from extrovert /introvert is how a individual needs to 'recharge' the extrovert will want to be with others, the introvert will want to be alone

Exactly, and people shouldn't make negative assumptions about people who need to "recharge" differently than themselves.

Great topic. I never knew whether I was an introvert or an extrovert until someone said this: Introverts recharge their batteries from being alone. Extroverts charge theirs from being with people. Now I know that I'm an introvert. I can be quite the life of the party, but without lengthy periods of alone time, I go nuts. Living in isolation in a rural setting is just fine with me!

I'm an introvert and enjoyed my solo CF. Also very much enjoyed meeting people, walking with them a while, sharing dinner or a glass of wine. I'm in the U.S. / Kansas. We have quite a few trails and I get out most days. However, my friend, who has walked three caminos (we both just cancelled a Portuguese) is more social. She suggested we do a virtual walk today, so with me on one trail and she several miles away on a different trail, we fired up our WhatsApp video and had a nice walk and chat for a few miles!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Love this thread! I am an extrovert and finished work on Friday so early days yet - our home is made up of 2 massive extroverts and 2 big introverts (one off the scale). I insisted on a family meeting on day one of quarantine to ensure we all understand each other and what challenges the next few weeks are likely to present😅. Needless to say us extroverts chittered chattered through and the introverts looked horrified at the idea that re-energising time may not be as easy as it normally is. I have a feeling that prayer will be playing a very large role in this household over coming weeks 😇

I'm an extrovert and love meeting people, chatting and finding out their stories. This situation is driving me crazy. I didn't meet many introverts on my Camino, I think, and if I did they are probably still in therapy. :)
I will consider doing a Camino when all this madness is finished. Looking forward to meeting many people along the way, I hope to be welcomed by all the extroverts but will probably strike terror in the hearts of the introverts, but I will give fair warning. ☺

Introvert vs extrovert ... I bristle everytime I see those labels.
Can't we just be we, you do you and I'll do me.
I think there is a difference between labels we put on others to put them in a box and labels we put on ourselves to recognize and help us understand parts of our identity. The former can be harmful and perpetuate systemic inequities. The latter can be empowering.

For some, recognizing that, much as they like being with people, they need time by themselves to recharge, is helpful. Others may be wondering why they have no energy when they are sitting around by themselves all day. Learning about extroverts and how they recharge through social interaction may be helpful for these people.

Dont fence me in..is my first instinct..so i guess i fall into the extrovert
But...
Dont trap me in a group because i havea problem with having to fake laugh and pretend to be your friend
But..I'll go shoot a Rugby match with a few thousand and have a BLAST,shoot charity functions and be an extemporaneous poet to dozens
But
Put me in front of a camera and mr.akward...
But
I can bring out your natural personality in pictures so i can shoot who you are behind what you are in a deconstruction of situation
And
Will put myself in the way to get THE shot
But
Dont like charging for my gift..unless you piss me off then its $150 an hour.

Am driven by logic and hate emotional rhetorical arguments because facts dont care about your feelings..
But.

Write Poetry that manipulates peoples emotions and creates sensual enviroments to be lost in
Sit for hours listening to instrumental chill music to put myself into a different plane
Listen to Icelandic Death Metal for the vicarious thrill
Listen to Trance from the 90s that sends a person...
But
Work as security for a company...which requires me to be ready to do....stuff.

Want to experience the Camino viscerally-emotionally-physically-mentally part of the whole and individually

A particle within the wave..among waves of particles
Doing particle things
Doing wave things
Lapping on the shores of the River of Stars

Its not a piper it seems but a different drummer that has called me out into the world...

This is my first post on this thread. I am very much an introvert. Social isolation was fine at first. But I am here to warn other introverts: avoid Zoom. The next thing you know, you will be carrying on all your usual weekly activities online, and you'll even have to get dressed for most of them.

I think there is a difference between labels we put on others to put them in a box and labels we put on ourselves to recognize and help us understand parts of our identity. The former can be harmful and perpetuate systemic inequities. The latter can be empowering.

For some, recognizing that, much as they like being with people, they need time by themselves to recharge, is helpful. Others may be wondering why they have no energy when they are sitting around by themselves all day. Learning about extroverts and how they recharge through social interaction may be helpful for these people.

Agreed. I think there is, in many cultures, a bias against introversion. This probably makes some naturally introverted people feel guilty about avoiding parties, hesitating to join groups, not publicly speak up about their thoughts and beliefs, etc.

I agree wholeheartedly, great explanations. I still bristle at the ease in which people use labels. I am also short (I know this, I've never been able to dunk a basketball ) :) but please don't call me short.

I’ve said this before, perhaps on the other introvert thread, and given that most folks have more time on their hands ... I highly recommend the book,
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain

One of the things I learned (and it resonated as it explained some things) is that in-person brainstorming sessions are biased to favour extroverts, and the usually good, thoughtful ideas presented by introverts aren’t heard ... primarily as the extroverts dominate in noise production.

I’ve said this before, perhaps on the other introvert thread, and given that most folks have more time on their hands ... I highly recommend the book,
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain

One of the things I learned (and it resonated as it explained some things) is that in-person brainstorming sessions are biased to favour extroverts, and the usually good, thoughtful ideas presented by introverts aren’t heard ... primarily as the extroverts dominate in noise production.
I own this book, and agree with your view on brainstorming sessions in the workplace as I've personally experienced this myself.

I walked the Camino Sept of 2018. I absolutely love talking and getting to know people one on one, add another like hanging out with a couple is ok, but add more than that I start struggling. I always agreed to Pilgrim dinners where sometimes I was at a table with 3 others. I had dinner in Granon where I got stuck in the middle of the big table and it was nightmarish for me. I can have anxiety attaacks. I have to sit on the outside edge in crowded situations. Before I left for the Camino the idea of Camino families I debated can I really do this. I read some books prior to the Camino and because of the Camino family idea I had thoughts I just can't do this. My solution was I left in the mornings at 5 AM. I found the alone times under the stars before the sun coming up breath takingly beautiful and so spiritual. My walk was a spiritual quest first and foremost. The Camino family idea was painful to me but I met several wonderful people I walked with, had beers with and had nice meals with

I walked the Camino Sept of 2018. I absolutely love talking and getting to know people one on one, add another like hanging out with a couple is ok, but add more than that I start struggling. I always agreed to Pilgrim dinners where sometimes I was at a table with 3 others. I had dinner in Granon where I got stuck in the middle of the big table and it was nightmarish for me. I can have anxiety attaacks. I have to sit on the outside edge in crowded situations. Before I left for the Camino the idea of Camino families I debated can I really do this. I read some books prior to the Camino and because of the Camino family idea I had thoughts I just can't do this. My solution was I left in the mornings at 5 AM. I found the alone times under the stars before the sun coming up breath takingly beautiful and so spiritual. My walk was a spiritual quest first and foremost. The Camino family idea was painful to me but I met several wonderful people I walked with, had beers with and had nice meals with
There is no law you have to join a "Camino Family." I met people while walking that I enjoyed and then was happy not to see them again and others I wished I'd had a chance to hang out with more. But what never changed is how much I like and prefer my own company alone.

There is no law you have to join a "Camino Family." I met people while walking that I enjoyed and then was happy not to see them again and others I wished I'd had a chance to hang out with more. But what never changed is how much I like and prefer my own company alone.
JillGat,
Indeed. Walking alone I hardly ever felt lonely; much of each day was spent waving to those I passed and those that passed me by. If someone wanted to talk I chatted stating that I was a snail and for them to continue whenever they wished. These are additional reasons I so enjoyed walking alone on empty trails during autumn/winter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.