Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Invierno Angel

alwalker

Al WAlker
Time of past OR future Camino
many.

next ones- Via Francigena, San Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I had lots of confidence when I started the Invierno, without a guidebook, no idea of how well the trail was marked, no instruction, no Spanish speaking skills and not knowing what was around the next corner – I was open for an adventure.

After a late start (11am) from Monforte de Limos my lack of knowledge meant I was in for a long day and not knowing where I could turn off the trail meant that I didn’t pass any options to buy supplies or places to stay. Twice that day I replenished my water from helpful people in the country and each time they spoke English. (I was being well looked after on this trip)

I totally missed Vilarino so that is probably when my camino god decided that I needed help. Later in the day I crossed of a very large water trap (The Minto river and it was a long way down then a long tiring way up.) I learnt the next day that my angel had been notified and had seen me pass through there.

So when the Camino God sends you his best angel, you have been very good and deserving or so far out of your depth that he (she) has no option but to send his best angel.

I had camino royalty as my angel - she has done 20 caminos (20 years?) and is an expert on the Invierno, spoke fluent Spanish, she was great company, sets a good pace and has prodded an interest in Church building history.

My gratitude goes to all the angels out there and if I can’t return the favour then I will be sure to pass it on. I should be safer next time as there are guide books for the Via Francigena, San Salvador? and the Primativo.

It is my understanding that there is a newish Portuguese route across the top of Portugal – does anyone know of this route?

Now all I have to do is wait for the borders to open and airlines to fly us safely. – It could be quite a while. I suspect that Kiwis will be walking a camino before the Americans.1595245514611.png
1595245545029.png
1595245632227.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had lots of confidence when I started the Invierno, without a guidebook, no idea of how well the trail was marked, no instruction, no Spanish speaking skills and not knowing what was around the next corner – I was open for an adventure.

After a late start (11am) from Monforte de Limos my lack of knowledge meant I was in for a long day and not knowing where I could turn off the trail meant that I didn’t pass any options to buy supplies or places to stay. Twice that day I replenished my water from helpful people in the country and each time they spoke English. (I was being well looked after on this trip)

I totally missed Vilarino so that is probably when my camino god decided that I needed help. Later in the day I crossed of a very large water trap (The Minto river and it was a long way down then a long tiring way up.) I learnt the next day that my angel had been notified and had seen me pass through there.

So when the Camino God sends you his best angel, you have been very good and deserving or so far out of your depth that he (she) has no option but to send his best angel.

I had camino royalty as my angel - she has done 20 caminos (20 years?) and is an expert on the Invierno, spoke fluent Spanish, she was great company, sets a good pace and has prodded an interest in Church building history.

My gratitude goes to all the angels out there and if I can’t return the favour then I will be sure to pass it on. I should be safer next time as there are guide books for the Via Francigena, San Salvador? and the Primativo.

It is my understanding that there is a newish Portuguese route across the top of Portugal – does anyone know of this route?

Now all I have to do is wait for the borders to open and airlines to fly us safely. – It could be quite a while. I suspect that Kiwis will be walking a camino before the Americans.View attachment 79127
View attachment 79128
View attachment 79131
Hi Alan .. Good to hear from you on the forum and
So good to read your post
And true about Laurie as we met on and off on the Invierno

Had to look up my diary to see where the four of us had lunch and that drink..or 5!!
It was Pone Ulla .."Lovely place, lovely bathroom.Laurie arrived just after us. We had lunch with her and Alan, an Australian..and a few drinks!!"
Enjoy any further caminos
Best wishes
Annette and Charlie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Alan .. Good to hear from you on the forum and
So good to read your post
And true about Laurie as we met on and off on the Invierno

Had to look up my diary to see where the four of us had lunch and that drink..or 5!!
It was Pone Ulla .."Lovely place, lovely bathroom.Laurie arrived just after us. We had lunch with her and Alan, an Australian..and a few drinks!!"
Enjoy any further caminos
Best wishes
Annette and Charlie
Well done for remembering all that - I don't remember the bathroom. it is the impromptu gatherings that help make the camino life so great.
My heart wants to be in Spain right now but my head says I may not even get there next year. ps I wasn't an Australian then but I am now. Take care and stay safe.

Hi, Al, (I will just ignore the embarassing part of your post)

Welcome to the forum! Hard to believe that it was two years ago that we met on the Invierno. Next time you will have to start in Ponferrada, it is such a beautiful camino.

In terms of the northern Portugal route, there are actually several.

One is Caminho Portugues Interior

Another is Camino Zamorano-Portugues

Another is Geira e dos Arrieros

And yet another is Camino Torres from Salamanca and over into Portugal.

I also have my eye on those routes and am just not sure how to choose. Can’t imagine I will be lucky enough to walk them all. Buen camino, Laurie

I am very Happy for you, that you met Laurie and had a personal guide. 😀
The early mistakes you made could have been quite costly. Glad you arrived safely.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am very Happy for you, that you met Laurie and had a personal guide. 😀
The early mistakes you made could have been quite costly. Glad you arrived safely.
One day I hope to start from Ponferrada But I cant imagine that I can be lucky twice and have angle Laurie sent to my rescue, but I can hope she is a joy to travel with.. Stay safe.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back