Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Invierno Guide in English now Available

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
It´s not quite perfect, but it´s now available for download on a donation basis from the CSJ London website... it´s the 2010 Camino Invierno Guide!

Find it here:
http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

With thanks to stalwart Forum members Laurie Reynolds and Michael Matynka. If you have questions, comments, or updates please contact me at Rebrites (at) yahoo.com.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is wonderful, Rebekah, I am so thankful to you for all your work. I was hoping to be the first official user, but it looks like this summer I'll be walking in France. So, the Invierno will have to wait for summer 2012 (at which point, I hope to be RETIRED and then will have lots of time for camino-related endeavors, yippee!!).

Merry Christmas, Reb, and everyone else who partakes of Christmas merriment, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great job. I have some additional pointers that may help other pilgrims.

In the PDF file you have a photo of the Canons do Sil. However the route does not pass this wonderful sight. Is it therefore prudent to include it in your details?

The tourist office in Monforte de Lemos is presently closed on Tuesday and Wednesday until April.
Details here:
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/lemos/2010 ... m=buscavoz

The wine centre in Monforte is closed every Monday, except the bar. During winter the opening times are restricted too. Details can be found here:
http://www.centrovino-ribeirasacra.com/ ... id=13&pd=1

I don’t know where a pilgrim picks up their Compostela in Monforte, but these closing times could affect you getting one (or not) in this city.

You forgot to mention the exquisite food at Rectoral de Castillón, as I think they have now gained a Michelin star for it.
To see the church at Diomondi you have to walk down the road a few metres, past the wooden shelter which is located at the top of The Codos.
At one point you miss spelt the village of Belesar.
Here is the link to the catamaran service from Belesar. It operates all year not just the summertime.
http://www.lugoterra.com/cs/rutas_fluviais.asp
I think you may have forgotten to point out just how steep the ascent out of Belesar is. :wink:

In Chantada Hotel Las Delicias is something like 2km away from the village centre and isolated. Maybe not the best location to stay in this village. I would recommend a meal at Lucas. It is located in the "old road" under the arches and near to the tourist office.

Hopefully someone will find these additions handy. :)

thank you, Rib. I will put these things in the "additions & corrections" file that goes with the guide. As well as the dire warning I just received from a pilgrim who attempted the mountainous part of this route last week, and had to bail out due to bad signage and long distances between stops... NOT a happy camper! The "Invierno" isn´t exactly winter-friendly!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just for the record...
He did the hike in November 2010

"es que era intransitable por el barro, por la ausencia de lugares donde descansar, por las nulas alternativas de parada fueran la que fueran las condiciones climatológicas al no haber ni hostales, ni pensiones, ni hoteles en distancias superiores a los veinte kilómetros, por la ausencia o dificultad suprema de seguir las señales y el riesgo evidente de pérdida si no se seguían los peligrosos arcenes de las carreteras...

El comentario generalizado de los habitantes con los que hablé era que el camino estaba muy descuidado en muchos tramos, que nadie se ocupaba de él, y que: "En invierno no hay nada porque no viene nadie", textualmente.

Finalmente, opté por salir ante las dificultades, que no la ausencia de facilidades...

Por eso, mi aviso, el que quiera aventuras allá él, pero no publicitemos algo que no funciona porque el riesgo es muy importante..."

belay the title of this thread... I just walked the Invierno mountain stretch, and am overhauling the CSJ guide to include LOTS more useable information.

This path is a knockout. And it is becoming ever more do-able, as the waymarks increase and the cleverly disguised (existing) accommodations are discovered.

If you need a copy of the overhauled guide right away, contact me via email or PM.
Reb.

Yeah it´s me AGAIN...
The vastly improved Camino Invierno Guide for June 2011, with updates from Rib and Laurie, is now available at the address listed above. Stay tuned for the Ruta Vadiniense, our next adventure!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hooray, Reb, this is great.

Thanks for doing so much work -- here's hoping lots of camino addicts get tempted. This is a beautiful route, I have just returned from it, and the signage is now incredibly good. There are only one or two places where getting lost is a real option. And I have no rivals when it comes to being able to get lost, so if I did it without mishap, you can too.

I took a million pictures, which I will post a link to as soon as I get them off my computer.

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Hooray, Reb, this is great.

Thanks for doing so much work -- here's hoping lots of camino addicts get tempted. This is a beautiful route, I have just returned from it, and the signage is now incredibly good. There are only one or two places where getting lost is a real option. And I have no rivals when it comes to being able to get lost, so if I did it without mishap, you can too.

I took a million pictures, which I will post a link to as soon as I get them off my computer.

Buen camino, Laurie

One year on.... any news about a link, he asks cheekily. :wink:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for posting them.
It has been a while since I had written anything on this forum, but as there has not been any news about the route I felt no real need to call in everyday.
However a need for me to download the Guide in English and to look for some other information on this route made me return. I took an opportunity for run though the older posts too.

Those photos are just brilliant, they must be a great encouragement for anyone wanting to walk a quieter route. They also brought back a flood of memories for the pair of us. :D

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back