Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Invierno guide, January 2015, now available

peregrina2000

Staff member
After getting a big burst of comments from several very helpful pilgrims, I´ve now got the guide up in the Resources section.

It is extremely possible that I have made some huge technological error and posted the wrong thing, so if my Invierno friends would take a look, I´d appreciate it.

Many many thanks to everyone who helped me, I couldn´t have done it without you. I will be back on the Invierno in July, so I will personally test this new version and try to clarify the couple of points where we are kind of confused. :)

EDIT: here is the correct new link: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-to-the-camino-de-invierno-february-2015.301/

Many thanks, buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for the guide, Laurie. We will be walking the Invierno in late June, after the Mozarabe and Madrid. I am truely looking forward to it.
Sue

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola @peregrina2000

Finally I did it, sorry it took me so long. I didn't checked the distance since we've been through that already. Just a few minor comments. I would really like to encourage walkers to take this Camino, sooner or later, because it isn't really more expensive than CF, the stages could also be shortened, the views and nature are great and the local people are so nice here.

So:

Page 1:

»About 245 km later it joins the Via de la Plata« - it joins Camino Sanabres to be exact, »original« VdlP goes to Astorga as I know.

Page 4:

»Make a left here, where you will find the first official mojón (granitewaymarker) indicating Camino de Invierno. Go down the hill, cross the 16th-century PuenteBoeza bridge« - this first mojon is actually a few meters before the new bridge/railway overpass from which you come to the old one on the right (new one is to the left).

»Bar El Puente is just over the river,« - wrong, before the river. First you come to this bar, then cross the river and come to the plaza. Across the plaza is the bar/restaurante mentioned previously.

»2.5km Vilalibre de la Jurisdicción

Fountain, Bar la Estrella along the highway« - maybe you come to this bar if turn right (back in direction of Ponferrada), but if continue there's no bar in Villalibre.

Page 5:

»Fountain, Farmacia, Bar along the road leaving town (Bar Taberna “El Sitio de mi Recreo” nicepatio and recommended as “cozy”).« - also bar on the main road (shop adjoining, pharmacy is on the right and those two on the left side of main road a bit further on), which was closed when I was there, but the small tienda was opened.

»From here, you have a choice between a stiff climb on the path to the left to reach the castle, andstaying on the road to bypass the castle and go directly on the road to Borrenes.« - that's after Santala (before steep uphill to Villavieja!!!). From Villavieja there's just a gentle climb to Cornatel (and steep ascent to Borrenes on the asphalt) and the road to Borrenes is also to the right. I guess the choice is the same whether you decide to stay on the asphalt road after Santala or from Villavieja J

Page 6:

»Las Médulas has a tourist information center…« - there is one at entrance to the village on the righthand side (Hotel medulio to the left) and the second in the village itself, very close to the church.

Page 7:

»Hostal Restaurante La Torre, 300 meters down the road on your left on Chao do Marco. Tel: 987460 589 OR 987 460 081. Email: info@hrlatorre.com http://www.hrlatorre.com/ This roadsidehotel seems seedy and un-economical until you figure-in excellent meals and a charmingriverside garden, complete with exotic birds and animals.« - main building with bar, restaurant and reception is just after Repsol gasolinera (opened all night!!!) on the left. Mentioned riverside garden is certainly not at the back of the main building. But the Hostal has some more buildings, I guess with apartments, on the other side of the road and behind them is the river, so should be the garden. I'm mentioning this just to avoid possible disappointment as was looking up to this spot and didn't find it ;)

Page 8:

»Owner, Manuel Angel Martínez Ramos (988 335 106) has plans to open an albergue butcurrently offers private lodging for peregrinos. 8€.« - offers lodging only upon previous request (at least one day).

Page 10:

»Note to users: The next three paragraphs could use some work; though some have made theirway up to the gravel pit and others have taken the on-road option, still others say this is totallynot the way the Camino goes. Tell me your experience!!!« - I've already sent you my conclusion or estimation that Camino now goes by the river to the roundabout just before Hiper Gadis (which is before Arcos), but I'm very interested what will you find out.

Page 11:

»You don’t actually go into town but will walk between the tracks and theriver. You pass the soccer field, pool, tennis courts.« - very welcoming bar in the entrance to the swimming pool. And easy access to the town center from there, no zig-zag-ing, just walk by the river, turn right before the swimming pool and straight ahead is the street that leads you to center of Vilamartin.

Page 12:

»Reserve a bed in the albergue atsulma.arias@gmail.com or phone 988 311 614 or 616 124 521. Beds 9€,« - last year I paid 11€.

»and another (look for the lavadero under the bridge) atBendilló« - at the entrance below left curve.

Page 13:

»A waymarked trail leads out of Montefurado along a green path upward. This path is overgrownin parts and would be difficult to cross in rainy weather.« - wasn't overgrown when I was there, quite the opposite, very wide but also steep. I had an impression that locals use it as a fitness trail.

»Descend to the edge of the river town of Soldón. Arrows will take you through and out of townand past a riverside café (sporadic hours), which is located under the elevated national highway.« - as told by waitress it's opened all day and even into the night in high season. I guess that's because of school holidays when most of the visitors are kids and grandparents. Great spot for some snack, cold drink and a swim!!!

Page 15:

»Take a left at signs pointing to Trampillo, which for some reason take you intothe town of Barxa do Lor (and not Trampillo) with a bridge (Roman?) over the river« - I think I remember that after the first waymark for Trampillo (the one you are mentioning here), there is another one firther down the paved lane. But this is all very well marked with arrows.

Page 16:

»Hostal As Vinas, Avenida de Outeiro, 13. Tel: 982 430 124 . Friendly, clean, accommodatingfamily establishment.« - 25€/single – well worth it, the couple that runs it speak Spanish, Gallego, Portugues and French (with some basic English)

Page 18:

»…and at the roundabout with a hórreo (a Galician granary) isa bar with your last chance for coffee. Cross the road to the left, and follow the signs for A Vide.« - a petrol station is immediately after the roundabout in directon of A Vide. This could be very usefull if starting early or during weekends for some last stock-up or coffee from the vending machine.

Page 19:

»(Some report that it is better to ignore the turn-off after the Pazo, and to continue on theLU-P-4112 a few meters uphill and turn sharp left at the first house. There are arrowshere, presumably older than the ones earlier, and they take you through San Lourenzo,and then Castrotañe and finally to Piñeiro. This way is also overgrown, however.)« - or simply stay on LU-P-4112, especially when wet.

EDIT: oh, I see now that later on (Camino Grande etc.) you added that comment

»…In any event, you will never be toolost, because the roads are not far away. The best advice is to try to “keep straight on,” and don’tbe shy about asking for directions. The problem, of course, is that in this overgrown maze, youare unlikely to find any other people.« - the best is to remember on which side is the paved road and when feeling lost just head in that direction. On the road there isn't much traffic but surely there will be a car passing every half an hour J

Page 22:

»Hostal Yoel; Avda. De Lugo, 16. Tel: 982 440 294. Single room with shared bath 15€; singlewith private bath 25€ (outdated a bit, but clean, has wifi, located near supermarkets).« - I paid 12€ for room with no view J and shared bathroom, but there was a wash-basin (sink) in the room.

Page 24:

»Hostal Carpinteiras, atop the hill at Estrada Xeral, 62. Tel.: 986 790 196. Phone in advance; ahearty meal will be waiting for you here, served by friendly family. Recommended.« - I paid 20€/single, best deal on whole Camino. But it's atop (some 200mts from center) of the city.

Page 28:

»Also KinkyOne, Bimblingalong, Freescotand Econodan from Ivar’s Camino de Santiago Forum.« - You can also add my full name – Boštjan Mašera (or Bostjan Masera if that's more convenient) J

Thanks for mentioning me though!

You've done a great job, Laurie.
And lots of admiration to @Rebekah Scott for initial guide!!!

Ok, K1,

I will try to get some time to take down the document and add these many excellent comments! Thank you so very much. And I'm hoping Reb will be coming with me on some of the Invierno this summer, so we can test it out together. Buen camino, Laurie

Ok, K1,

I will try to get some time to take down the document and add these many excellent comments! Thank you so very much. And I'm hoping Reb will be coming with me on some of the Invierno this summer, so we can test it out together. Buen camino, Laurie
Would it be easier for you if I'd send it via E-mail?
If you and Reb will go together on CdI I'm sure you'll enjoy both being together (lot's to debate about) and the Camino ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Would it be easier for you if I'd send it via E-mail?
If you and Reb will go together on CdI I'm sure you'll enjoy both being together (lot's to debate about) and the Camino ;)

No need to email, I can use it just like this. It's great!

I'm hoping that this time I will meet some other pilgrims, maybe if we keep talking about the Invierno, others will walk it! Thanks again, K1. Laurie

No need to email, I can use it just like this. It's great!

I'm hoping that this time I will meet some other pilgrims, maybe if we keep talking about the Invierno, others will walk it! Thanks again, K1. Laurie
I will surely talk about it on my next Caminos ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your problem will be that you will have a hard time finding anyone to talk to on the Levante. :)
HAHAHAHA, that might be very true, Laurie. But after Zamora......
And next Camino may be long awaited Combo North (Interior, CF, Salvador, Primitivo...) with slightly more people to spread the word. You think that's a clever idea at all, to reveal such a beauty? ;)

HAHAHAHA, that might be very true, Laurie. But after Zamora......
And next Camino may be long awaited Combo North (Interior, CF, Salvador, Primitivo...) with slightly more people to spread the word. You think that's a clever idea at all, to reveal such a beauty? ;)

You make a very good point. When I walked the Salvador/Primitivo, it was essentially empty. In fact the first time, I don't think there were more than 4 or 5 on the Primitivo, and never anyone else on the Salvador. Now I read about overcrowding! But it is nice to have some company. I remember when I walked the Invierno, I met a woman in the albergue in Outeiro who had done the Invierno and we figured out she had been a day behind me. She told me that seeing my footprints gave her great comfort and lessened the loneliness -- that's a pretty solitary way to lessen loneliness! Anyway, I agree with you that the Invierno is so beautiful that it just has to "take off" soon.

Buen camino, Laurie

You make a very good point. When I walked the Salvador/Primitivo, it was essentially empty. In fact the first time, I don't think there were more than 4 or 5 on the Primitivo, and never anyone else on the Salvador. Now I read about overcrowding! But it is nice to have some company. I remember when I walked the Invierno, I met a woman in the albergue in Outeiro who had done the Invierno and we figured out she had been a day behind me. She told me that seeing my footprints gave her great comfort and lessened the loneliness -- that's a pretty solitary way to lessen loneliness! Anyway, I agree with you that the Invierno is so beautiful that it just has to "take off" soon.

Buen camino, Laurie
To tell the truth I think that Invierno will stay this way for years. Sure, it doesn't deserves that, but whole a lot of people want to experience those last trials on CF like O'Cebreiro, Samos, Sarria, Galicia, last 100kms etc. I can understand that because I've been there, but next time I'd go in winter. I remember Acacio's words (from Viloria de Rioja) about Galicia in winter, that it is even more magical, that more pagan spirits came out,... But I'm off topic already.
Invierno, due to its location (close to SdC), I think is doomed to be less traveled regardless of whole number of pilgrims per year. And I kind of like that. I know that rise of walkers would improve social status of some of the people along the way (a little bit), but that's not going to happen. Maybe that's OK, I don't know, but there will be a Camino for lonesome walkers available.
Still it's very good option for "veteran pilgs" that wantsa a bit of solitude to take that left turn in Ponferrada. I can imagine myself walking Ruta del Ebro for example and later dealing with crowds on CF, I would hardly wait to see tme mojon at the bridge over Rio Boeza ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Changes made, and I even figured out how to write Boštjan Mašera :).

Now all I have to do is figure out how to delete the old version and replace it with the new one. :confused:

Yeah, yeah, slavic and all that, I know, lot's of work... We call those "things" over "c, s & z", guess how - "roofs" (diminutive), well, that's what they are, aren't they ;)
Thanks, Laurie!!!
I think you've managed to post updated guide already since I can see February 2015 update of the Invieno guide. Otherwise - Ivar is the magician for this kind of stuff...

Wish you a nice day!

Hola @peregrina2000

»From here, you have a choice between a stiff climb on the path to the left to reach the castle, andstaying on the road to bypass the castle and go directly on the road to Borrenes.« - that's after Santala (before steep uphill to Villavieja!!!). From Villavieja there's just a gentle climb to Cornatel (and steep ascent to Borrenes on the asphalt) and the road to Borrenes is also to the right. I guess the choice is the same whether you decide to stay on the asphalt road after Santala or from Villavieja J

Your comments here made me realize that I am a bit fuzzy on this part. Is Villavieja the little hamlet sort of in a green valley with just one or two houses? If you take the path to the castle, do you avoid Villavieja?

What I remember is that little hamlet (with a mean dog) and then I was on a road that never took me right to the castle, but to a turn-off for the castle off the road. Are you saying there is a marked option to go straight to the castle? Thanks, K1.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your comments here made me realize that I am a bit fuzzy on this part. Is Villavieja the little hamlet sort of in a green valley with just one or two houses? If you take the path to the castle, do you avoid Villavieja?

What I remember is that little hamlet (with a mean dog) and then I was on a road that never took me right to the castle, but to a turn-off for the castle off the road. Are you saying there is a marked option to go straight to the castle? Thanks, K1.
You got it right on both accounts.
If you take a peek in here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/
and scroll down to post #15:
- after the little church (photos 5 & 6) and short climb you cross
- tarmac road from Santala to Borrenes (photo 7). If you stay on the road you completely bypass both Villavieja and Castillo
- but if you take narrow steep path to the left you come to Villavieja (photo 8 and 9)

After you made halfway through village there is (actually righthand curve) paved road to the right. I guess you took this road and if you stay on it you can bypass Castillo again (that's only my speculation though!). To the left of this road is large, very nicely renovated old house and Camino to Castillo goes by the left side of that house.
scroll down to post #16:
- it's light gravel path through chestnut trees and soon the view to Castillo openes (photos 1, 2 & 3). The path is not steep, because the parking below the Castillo is maybe at just a few meters higher altitude than Villavieja.

Hope that explains this part :)

You got it right on both accounts.
If you take a peek in here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/
and scroll down to post #15:
- after the little church (photos 5 & 6) and short climb you cross
- tarmac road from Santala to Borrenes (photo 7). If you stay on the road you completely bypass both Villavieja and Castillo
- but if you take narrow steep path to the left you come to Villavieja (photo 8 and 9)

After you made halfway through village there is (actually righthand curve) paved road to the right. I guess you took this road and if you stay on it you can bypass Castillo again (that's only my speculation though!). To the left of this road is large, very nicely renovated old house and Camino to Castillo goes by the left side of that house.
scroll down to post #16:
- it's light gravel path through chestnut trees and soon the view to Castillo openes (photos 1, 2 & 3). The path is not steep, because the parking below the Castillo is maybe at just a few meters higher altitude than Villavieja.

Hope that explains this part :)

Wonderful, thanks. Well, it turns out that I didn't actually manage to post the Feb. update, and Ivar will help me do it tomorrow. But before I do, I am going to make sure to go back through all your posts on that thread, K1, because I think there is more information that I can use. So don't be surprised if I am sending you more questions tomorrow or the next day!!!

Wonderful, thanks. Well, it turns out that I didn't actually manage to post the Feb. update, and Ivar will help me do it tomorrow. But before I do, I am going to make sure to go back through all your posts on that thread, K1, because I think there is more information that I can use. So don't be surprised if I am sending you more questions tomorrow or the next day!!!
No problem, just fire away...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks to Laurie and everyone who made the guide a reality! I will be using it at the end of April.

I so appreciate all your work and willingness to share. I'll let you know if I can contribute to the next version.

Jeff

Thanks to Laurie and everyone who made the guide a reality! I will be using it at the end of April.

I so appreciate all your work and willingness to share. I'll let you know if I can contribute to the next version.

Jeff
It's beautiful Camino with very nice and helpful people along the way. Enjoy it!

Ultreia!

Jeff

Hi, Jeff, this is great. As you will see in the guide there are several places where people report getting lost, where different people went different ways, or where I couldn't really figure out how to harmonize the commentary. (Don't worry, none of this happens out in the wildnerness, you're always close to towns or roads). I've noted those places and included people's different reports, rather than try to make sense of things, since I haven't been there in four or five years.

So if you are willing to help, you won't have any trouble finding the spots where help is most needed!

I'll be walking the Invierno in July, which means that there will be at least two of us with new experiences to help update the guide for next year.

And just a shout out for a wonderful option for a rest day, if you are so inclined to those things. Right near the church at Diomondi and the walk down to the Minho River (on the trail called Belesar's elbows, los codos de Belesar, named after its trajectory), there's a casa rural that sits perched up on the banks of the river. Expat hosts (Dutch and British), great home cooking, right next door to a beautiful romanesque church, and lots of beautiful views. It's called the Casa Santo Estevo and is a really soothing place to spend a day.

Buen camino, I think you're going to love this one. Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've done the Camino Francés (never again!), the Camino Portugués three times (and I would repeat!), the Camino Inglés (marvellous, and I would do it again tomorrow) and the Camino to Fisterra (also great), and I've been weighing up my options for 2015.

I was seriously considering the Camiño/Ruta do Mar this summer, but after what I have read about the Camino de Invierno I have been converted! Therefore, I will be setting out from Ponferrada in the middle of June.

Having lived in Castilla y León (Salamanca) for many years, I know most of the area reasonably well, although one thing is travelling around by car and another is walking! There are some great places on this route, especially Las Médulas, and some decent-sized towns like A Rua, Quiroga or Monforte de Lemos. There are also some fairly deserted areas, but with spectacular scenery, especially when you get to the Rio Sil. I did the boat trip there a few years ago and it is stunning!

My congratulations and thanks to those of you who have elaborated and revised the guide. If I can be of any help this June I will certainly let you have any new information I feel is useful.

Great news, Charrito. I will probably be doing the next bunch of annual revisions, so anything you send me will be carefully put away till the end of the year. I´ll be about two weeks behind you. If all goes well, I hope to leave from Ponferrada around the 3 or 4 of July.

If you´re looking for a nice pre-Invierno option, which adds 3 or 4 days onto your Camino, consider what Reb and I did last year in the Valle del Silencio. Description is here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-splendor-from-ponferrada-or-el-acebo.27697/

I hope to do that again this year with a little variation. On Day 3, I hope to walk from Peñalba de Santiago and continue on to As Médulas instead of returning to Ponferrada. Doing it that way means that I would "skip" the Ponferrada to As Médulas stage, which means bypassing the Castle at Cornatel.

And just one more thing -- though there are very pretty parts of the Invierno that go along the Río Sil, the most iconic part is not on the Camino Invierno. (Kinky´s post on the Invierno has some beautiful shots of the Sil https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/ ). To get to see the gorges, you would need to take a detour. I spent a rest day in Casa Santo Estevo on the Minho and my very gracious hosts offered to take me around. Well worth it!

Sil River.jpg

And the view from the Casa Rural is nothing to sneeze at either, though just a few drops of the Minho are visible in this shot:

view near Santo Estevo.jpg

Buen camino, Charrito! Laurie

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, Laurie. I'll be sure to check out everything you mention, and I look foward to reading all of Kinky's incredible story and looking at his photos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After getting a big burst of comments from several very helpful pilgrims, I´ve now got the guide up in the Resources section.

It is extremely possible that I have made some huge technological error and posted the wrong thing, so if my Invierno friends would take a look, I´d appreciate it.

Many many thanks to everyone who helped me, I couldn´t have done it without you. I will be back on the Invierno in July, so I will personally test this new version and try to clarify the couple of points where we are kind of confused. :)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-guide-january-2015.273/

Thank you for your efforts. I plan to walk the Invierno starting around the third week of June. I suspect it will be the highlight of my trip from SJPdP to Santiago.

We might well bump into each other then, as that's about when I'll be setting off from Ponfe.
I am leaving SJPdP on May 29, so my conservative estimate for departing Ponferrada is June 23rd or 24th. While I look forward to the peacefulness of this less-traveled route, I hope to run into some others!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great news, Charrito. I will probably be doing the next bunch of annual revisions, so anything you send me will be carefully put away till the end of the year. I´ll be about two weeks behind you. If all goes well, I hope to leave from Ponferrada around the 3 or 4 of July.
Hard to predict, but I might be on the Invierno about 7 to 10 days behind you. I hope to start my camino the 4th of May from Paray-le-Monial in France and walk the Way of Cluny, the Via Podiensis and then the Camino Francés till Ponferrada. The only part of the Francés I have seen was from León till Sarria (August last year) and that gave me the feeling I can do without the last part of the Francés. But you never know. Maybe I will be converted into a 'mass walker' on my journey ;-)

Hard to predict, but I might be on the Invierno about 7 to 10 days behind you. I hope to start my camino the 4th of May from Paray-le-Monial in France and walk the Way of Cluny, the Via Podiensis and then the Camino Francés till Ponferrada. The only part of the Francés I have seen was from León till Sarria (August last year) and that gave me the feeling I can do without the last part of the Francés. But you never know. Maybe I will be converted into a 'mass walker' on my journey ;-)

I'll probably be setting off from Ponferrada on the Invierno earlier than I originally intended, around the beginning of June. Like you, I'm not a big fan of being among masses of other walkers and prefer the peace and quiet that other Caminos offer.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-guide-january-2015.273/

Hi Laurie,
Is this Invierno guide still available? When I click on the link it comes up Error!!
thanks
Aidan

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, seem to be detailed guide....will read it thoroughly later! Still considering my options for my route to Santiago. Currently, Vasco del Interior, Santo Domingo to Leon, El Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre!
Maybe.....vasco del Interior, Santo Domingo to Ponferrada, Invierno, Finisterre!
Buen Camino
aidan

Just back from walking with Laurie from A Rua to Chantada, with the guide close to hand. There have been some minor changes to the route, but we found it remarkably well marked... and discovered a very useful early-morning coffee bar and hostal across the river from Quiroga at San Clodio -- perfect for people who want to start their camino there and arrive by train. (the train station is across the street.)

The "maze" at Camino Grande is much better marked now, but pilgrims still need to keep a sharp eye out. Our friend Laurie took good notes, and I sat back on my Pioneer Laurels and let her take care of all that tracking business. The Invierno is still one of the finest caminos there is, a true tonic for the spirit.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you to Rebekah and Laurie for the Invierno Guide. I walked the entire route alone and never got lost until I arrived in Santiago! The experience was unmatchable. I am so grateful for the experience. It provided more than I had even hoped for; beauty, solitude, kindness from locals, peace and moments of total joy.

Hi, Invierno fans,
I just got a question about the guide and whether an updated version would be forthcoming. I just walked the Invierno for a second time, and have some changes to make. But right now I'm really swamped and don't have a big chunk of time to devote to it. What would be great, however, is if in the next few weeks people who have used the guide could post or email or PM me with comments, criticisms, suggestions, etc. In September I expect to have the time to put a new edition together, while my memory is still fresh. And in case there are people who plan to walk it in the fall.

Looking forward to hearing from the growing group of Invierno alums! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie.

I posted quite a lot when I did the Invierno earlier this summer, so you have my thread there to compare with your guide and KinkyOne's great information.

One thing that I would seriously suggest is for you to add an alternative from Monforte de Lemos, as that stage is pretty long and accommodation is not that readily available.

I walked along the LU-617 from Monforte (14-15 kilometres, but it would be a perfectly 'doable' stage if you had come from A Pobra do Brollón that morning) and stayed for the night in the excellent Hotel O Ruso in Escairón.

I then continued along the same road the following morning before turning left at the cheese factory and getting to the church at Diomondi (7 kilometres in total). From there it's straight down to Belesar and up the other side to Chantada.

€149,-
Hi Laurie.

I posted quite a lot when I did the Invierno earlier this summer, so you have my thread there to compare with your guide and KinkyOne's great information.

One thing that I would seriously suggest is for you to add an alternative from Monforte de Lemos, as that stage is pretty long and accommodation is not that readily available.

I walked along the LU-617 from Monforte (14-15 kilometres, but it would be a perfectly 'doable' stage if you had come from A Pobra do Brollón that morning) and stayed for the night in the excellent Hotel O Ruso in Escairón.

I then continued along the same road the following morning before turning left at the cheese factory and getting to the church at Diomondi (7 kilometres in total). From there it's straight down to Belesar and up the other side to Chantada.

Hi, Charito, yes, your thread will definitely be one of the ones that gets careful scrutiny. Reb and I did different stages this year and I will make sure to consider the alternatives. We did stay in Pobra de Brollon, and then the next day went on to Torre Vilarino right at the crossroads with all the signs that has figured so prominently in a couple of our threads. Torre Vilarino is about a 5 minute walk "off camino" and it's a very nice casa rural, one of the first in Galicia, actually. They give pilgrims an excellent 20 euro price. There's a pool and good food in addition. So you don't have to get as far "off course" as going all the way to Escairon. Thanks for your help, buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for all your work on this guide, Laurie!

I am in the "hope" stage of walking the CF in January/February. I really want to walk the CF again (for the 4th time)....but just can't bring myself to walk in the crowds and new attitudes. I had thought to turn off on the Invierno...but suddenly thought of the weather in January and February. I have walked the Sanabres in August and was thinking about some of those hills and mountains in deep winter. Probably not a good idea.:(

A second concern was the distances in the guide. I would be able to handle them without overly straining...but I will have my wife with me again this time and she does have challenges with distance.
The guide puts the first days at 32, 29, 14, 29, 27 km and so on. These are tough for someone with problems...and that was the easier set of stages.

Maybe I will have to hold off for now. Bummer.

Hi, grayland,
Well, here are a few things to keep in mind. There are ways to break up most of the stages, and I'll be happy to help do that. The second thing is that I have heard from peregrino_Tom, who used the guide just this summer, and he has told me that the distances are too long. We did a major change last year based on Kinky's GPS info, and Tom at least says that they overstate the distance now. I managed to record most of my Invierno this summer on my GPS so I will have data for comparison. I hope to get to the update in the next few weeks and will be happy to let you know how things are going.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. what would be a good target for daily kms? Do you have plenty of days? Because some stages could be very short, in the 12-15 range, but that would add a lot of days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, grayland,
Well, here are a few things to keep in mind. There are ways to break up most of the stages, and I'll be happy to help do that. The second thing is that I have heard from peregrino_Tom, who used the guide just this summer, and he has told me that the distances are too long. We did a major change last year based on Kinky's GPS info, and Tom at least says that they overstate the distance now. I managed to record most of my Invierno this summer on my GPS so I will have data for comparison. I hope to get to the update in the next few weeks and will be happy to let you know how things are going.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. what would be a good target for daily kms? Do you have plenty of days? Because some stages could be very short, in the 12-15 range, but that would add a lot of days.
Hola, Laurie!

Did Tom provided his GPS tracks? Or is that just his opinion?
I'm very much interested in your tracking also. It's better to have several tracks between same points and compare them to get closer to the right distances.

Last edited:
Hola, Laurie!

Did Tom provided his GPS tracks? Or is that just his opinion?
I'm very much interested in your tracking also. It's better to have several tracks between same points and compare them to get closer to the right distances.

Hi, K1,
I agree with you completely. I really don't know what Tom has because neither of us is to devote time to the guide for a while. I will make sure we get a good consensus before changing distances. It's like a house of cards, I hate having to do these distances again. :mad: Every little change provokes another change, etc etc. I will definitely bring you and the others in on the conversation. Laurie

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back