Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Invierno started May 6

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Starting invierno 6th May. Previous Frances 2019.
I just ordered the guide. It would be great if you post your experiences, current trail conditions, towns and bars, albergues, and highlights. I hope you have perfect weather. Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @hagans - welcome to the forum.

We would love to read your updates, while you are walking. Just add them to this thread, and we'll put a LIVE from the Camino prefix on the thread!

If you would like to see who else is walking near your date, look at this thread, and consider adding a post there to give your information (date and starting location).

Hi @hagans - welcome to the forum.

We would love to read your updates, while you are walking. Just add them to this thread, and we'll put a LIVE from the Camino prefix on the thread!

If you would like to see who else is walking near your date, look at this thread, and consider adding a post there to give your information (date and starting location).
Great as I’m walking in September. Would love updates on new accommodations along the way with contact details
I won’t be able to comment on albergues as I don’t really use them As an inveterate snorer, I never share accommodation except for family. My wife snores too so she’s used to it 🤭. So my pilgrim experiences are more solitary by choice due to the many guilt shaming comments. Im sure many are grateful for this.
But I will report on other aspects of the journey. I had planned it immediately after retirement so it’s 18 months late😁. I plan a variation of the Portuguese in September starting at Fatima. Making up for lost time 😁

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I won’t be able to comment on albergues as I don’t really use them As an inveterate snorer, I never share accommodation except for family. My wife snores too so she’s used to it 🤭. So my pilgrim experiences are more solitary by choice due to the many guilt shaming comments. Im sure many are grateful for this.
But I will report on other aspects of the journey. I had planned it immediately after retirement so it’s 18 months late😁. I plan a variation of the Portuguese in September starting at Fatima. Making up for lost time 😁
Plenty of people do also like private rooms, so let eveyone know what you find along the way, please.

Welcome here, @hagans !
There are lots of great pinned threads here from people walking in 2019, and more recent planning threads. The live threads were pre-covid but give you a sense. I mostly stayed in private accommodationas in many places. Times have changed a bit, but the beauty of this route hasn't. Buen camino, you lucky pilgrims! We Invierno fans are envious.

the invierno is very quiet. Met no other pilgrims today and I did have a couple of stops to rest at fonts. While I’m comfortable with this, I’m not a ’hell is other people’ type and would’ve enjoyed some chat. I ve walked alone at times throughout my life. What I wasn’t expecting was the constant nightingale song along the way. Even heard at Madrid station and ponferrada car parks. A treat for the ears.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the invierno is very quiet. Met no other pilgrims today and I did have a couple of stops to rest at fonts. While I’m comfortable with this, I’m not a ’hell is other people’ type and would’ve enjoyed some chat. I ve walked alone at times throughout my life. What I wasn’t expecting was the constant nightingale song along the way. Even heard at Madrid station and ponferrada car parks. A treat for the ears.

Buen camino, @hagans! I take it this is your first day on the Invierno, since your first post said you were starting May 6. Where did you walk to and where are you sleeping?

I’ve walked the Invierno three times and have run into a total of two or three pilgrims, which isn’t a very high per km average! If you’re not in Las Médulas yet, you can be sure to see lots and lots of people there tomorrow, though not peregrinos. Weekend and a popular tourist destination equals many people.

I’ve added a “live from the camino” prefix to the title of the thread, because as of now you are live!

@hagans just to say - BUEN CAMINO -

And - I’m so jealous! I can’t wait to walk this path. I have a list and it’s right at the top.

As for private accommodation - no guilt for that. Our dormitory days are largely behind us - I need my sleep 😴

Enjoy every minute. 😎

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just reached o barco after a very long day. Le medulas was spectacular and I had long trail walks with no other humans. Interspersed with tedious sections of busy road walking. Las medulas seemed quite busy with people walking its trails. A couple of coaches there too. Cafés bars hotels all looked open there. However the municipal albergue was clearly closed and the font wasn’t working. I was entertained by bee-eaters along the Sil.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember the albergue at Las Medulas. Looking through the windows, I could see that it was comfortably set up for pilgrims; there was a man inside who came to the door and told me that they were closed. He gave no date for opening. I wondered if he ever opened as an albergue. I shall certainly not plan to stay there when I walk through in the fall. Yesterday I ordered a guidebook for the Invierno from Ivar. I am particularly interested, this year, in the new albergue at Diomondi and hoping that it will be open when I pass through in the late season. Early season walkers, please let me know what you see.

Some info. Hotel Berna outside a rua is closed. There is now the semblance of a path behind the barriers on the N-120 between soldon and sequeiros, thankfully. There seems to be a planned route change at Novais as there were notices advising change, my Spanish isn’t up to proper translation, and the way was blocked by barriers. However I carried on regardless and had no problems.
On reflection so far, the Invierno is a hill walkers route, as it’s much tougher than the Frances. Particularly when I’m climbing hills in the baking sun, and 30+ in the shade, which there often isn’t much. But the birdsong, the spring flowering plants and the natural smells keep you going.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also I should’ve said, still not met/seen any other pilgrims. Solitude is de riguer. At one place I was asked if I was”the“ peregrino.
My experience as well in June 2019. A very solitary camino - which pretty quickly, I grew to love. Enjoying your posts - thank you!

I was entertained by bee-eaters along the Sil.
Echoing @VNwalking ... another reason to go back - I missed the Bee-eaters!!

Also I should’ve said, still not met/seen any other pilgrims. Solitude is de riguer. At one place I was asked if I was”the“ peregrino.
I can relate. In our recent Chemin du Piémont de Pyrénées, my husband and I saw three pilgrims in 19 days and two of them were walking just for a few days, with their horses. 😎

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember the albergue at Las Medulas.
I am curious about this. Was it presumably a pilgrim albergue?
It was the Albergue La Senda. Opened as an albergue turístico. I don’t know how long it was open, but it is no longer an albergue. I had a WhatsApp conversation wtih the owners this winter and they told me they had turned the albergue into a Casa Rural, available only as a whole house rental.

Around pomares for about 3km
Thank you! I will be back!
There is now the semblance of a path behind the barriers on the N-120 between soldon and sequeiros, thankfully
I hope there is something like this eventually right before entering A Rua. That was the one place that gave me the willies.

Last edited:
Thank you! I will be back!

I hope there is something like this eventually right before entering A Rua. That was the one place that gave me the willies.
Sadly it is still a road walk. I had to stop numerous times to let vehicles pass. How expensive is a Senda?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After nearly a week, I finally said buen Camino today, to Jasper, who was English I think. He was young and fit so I doubt we’ll meet again. But it was cheering.
I’m glad that walk the Camino divided up these middle stages. It’s great to be able to stop regularly to feel the sights, sounds and smells of a lovely spring. The steady climbs at the end of a long hot day are more endured than enjoyed.
There have been some minor variations between the new Brierley guide and the way marking, but you get there regardless. nothing troublesome.
I saw cranes in a flower meadow today.
stephen

Last edited:
i’ll try again.
I’ve reached chantada. I met another pilgrim today, an Italian who started in sJPdP but diverted in ponferrada as he said it was very busy. A good decision as the invierno is empty. I was the only guest in torre vilarinho last night.
lovely scenery around here. I missed diomondi as I just followed the waymarks. I meant to do the short diversion but my scallop shell had just fallen off my rucksack on its fourth pilgrimage and on Friday 13th. My mind was searching for the significance 😊 and so I was distracted. Rodeiro tomorrow
stephen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Now at A Laxe. The weather has changed. Yesterday I was at the decision point before climbing monte faro, when the forecast rain hadn’t come. So up I went and, yes you’ve guessed, the rain started halfway up. For about an hour around the summit, it was heavy rain. So no view. I was going to do a video and try to send it to ivar, but it was too wet to get my phone out.
Ive often walked near wind turbines. but on monte faro, I was immediately underneath a turbine at full speed. It’s quite intimidating.
also saw my first wild mammal on the trip, a hare on monte faro.
Today was light rain showers, not too bad for walking.
The waymarking has been fine on the invierno. My guidebook was really only consulted to see what’s next. on the few occasions when there was a choice of track/path with no marker, sticking to the main route was always the correct choice. There were no tricks 😁.
I met 2 other new pilgrims last night at Carpenteiras. But no one seemed to want to be particularly sociable. Perhaps the invierno attracts a particular type of pilgrim. Or no one likes me 😃
Stephen

Last edited:
Glad to be reading your comments, Stephen. Would you start adding more details on the places you stay and eat, please? What temperatures are you experiencing when it is not raining? Is there anything you would have done differently? What has been your favorite 'tourist attraction' so far, such as museum or shop? What has surprised you the most?
Stay well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Watched a documentary recently on the Discovery channel, the knights of Templar from Ponferrada are reputed to have hidden the Holy grail in las Medulas.
Só keep your eyes open.
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How are you getting to Ponferrada? I’m interested to know, as I’m hoping to start later this year.
I flew in and out of Madrid and used the train to ponferrada and from Santiago. The only slight difficulty was the metro between the airport and Chamartin train station. Only €7.50 but involves 3 changes. Taxi is €30.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I flew in and out of Madrid and used the train to ponferrada and from Santiago. The only slight difficulty was the metro between the airport and Chamartin train station. Only €7.50 but involves 3 changes. Taxi is €30.
If you're travelling from Chamartin take the free shuttle bus to Terminal 4 and catch the Cercanias train from there direct to Chamartin. If you have already booked a ticket to Leon/Ponferrada, it's free also!

How are you getting to Ponferrada? I’m interested to know, as I’m hoping to start later this year.
Fly to Madrid. Train from Chamartin to Leon and then to Ponferrada (book in advance on the RENFE site)
See my earlier post re transit airport - Chamartin.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back