A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Invierno vs. Sanabres

intrepidtraveler

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
I would like to hear from anyone who has walked both of these routes. Did you prefer one over the other? If so, why? Or is comparing them the proverbial apples vs. oranges situation. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Advertisment

peregrino_tom

Donating Member
I quite liked the Invierno. It was OK. But I saw no other pilgrims at all in 2015 (apart from 2 cyclists) and very few other people. But of those I did meet, many were refreshingly surprised by the idea of someone actually walking to Santiago. It was July, very hot and I got a bit ill, so maybe that clouds my assessment.
Sanabres in 2010 blew my mind, with those wide open spaces, Tabaran Beatus (no longer on display?), becoming Sanabrian chestnut woods, becoming wild Galician mountains - but I wonder if I would have felt the same powerful emotions if I'd started in Granja rather than enduring the character-building slog up from Seville?

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Future (God-willing): Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo (2018)
I have yet to walk the Invierno and need to go back and do the Sanabres in "not rain" (I'm sure there were stunning views beyond the mist!) - so I'm of no help whatsoever, but I'm sure neither are bad options!

MikeJS

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2011), Norte (2012), VdlP (Apr 2016). Sureste/Invierno (Apr/May 2017).
I have walked both and they are very different. Lots of steep ups and downs on the invierno, saw no other pilgrims and options for accommodation and food are limited.

intrepidtraveler

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
I quite liked the Invierno. It was OK. But I saw no other pilgrims at all in 2015 (apart from 2 cyclists) and very few other people. But of those I did meet, many were refreshingly surprised by the idea of someone actually walking to Santiago. It was July, very hot and I got a bit ill, so maybe that clouds my assessment.
Sanabres in 2010 blew my mind, with those wide open spaces, Tabaran Beatus (no longer on display?), becoming Sanabrian chestnut woods, becoming wild Galician mountains - but I wonder if I would have felt the same powerful emotions if I'd started in Granja rather than enduring the character-building slog up from Seville?
Wow! This doesn't sound like a rave review of the VDLP. What do you think made it feel like a slog vs. something enjoyable?

Advertisment

MikeJS

Camino(s) past & future
Cannot say that ‘enduring the character-building slog up from Seville?’ is my memory of the VDLP. In fact it remains one of my favourite routes.

ranthr

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
There are every day pictures of peregrinos on different inviernopages on facebook, so I have got the hope of meeting some other pilgrims when I start walking next Wednesday. Since I walked Via de la Plata to Astorga and not the Sanabres because of loads of people and problems of finding a bed, I won't be able to compare, but people I walked with up to the two ways separated was not so happy about the Sanabres when we met again in SdC.

intrepidtraveler

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
There are every day pictures of peregrinos on different inviernopages on facebook, so I have got the hope of meeting some other pilgrims when I start walking next Wednesday. Since I walked Via de la Plata to Astorga and not the Sanabres because of loads of people and problems of finding a bed, I won't be able to compare, but people I walked with up to the two ways separated was not so happy about the Sanabres when we met again in SdC.
Did they say why they were not happy with it?

MikeJS

Camino(s) past & future
I found the Sanabres to be one of my favourite parts of a camino!

camino07

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18
Walked the Sanabrese twice and loved it both times.

ranthr

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.0%
  • May

Votes: 131 27.5%
  • June