• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ipad on the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattymo97206

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked 360km (2012) Planning 790K May (2014)
I'm thinking about taking an iPad on the Camino to post on a blog while walking next year. I have no experience with iPads...will a 16g be sufficient? I'm looking particularily at the iPad mini. My smartphone is not an international phone, so that will not do me any good. Has anyone rented a smartphone from VodaPhone while in Spain. I've a small basic cell phone I bought last year in Spain and am planning on taking that again. Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? Thank you in advance for your input. Patty

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your iPad should be fine. There are many places along the Way that offer free wi-fi (by the way, it's pronounced wee-fee in Spain)

As far as a phone, last year I took my old iPhone and bought a SIM card for it at Vodafone.
My walking partner bought a cheap phone from them and a SIM.
Both of us were very very happy with Vodafone.

I think for the entire trip, I didn't spend more than 30 euros.

A tip, however.
If you buy minutes at a tobacco shop (or anywhere besides Vodafone) be SURE before you walk out the door that your minutes have been applied. It's easy to check. Last year, I paid 20 Euros to up my minutes, got a ways up the trail, and the lady had NOT applied the minutes! This is probably rare, but I always check now.

Oh duh... I just re-read your message. I have no idea about renting a smartphone from Vodafone. His simply did calls and texts. You might look into getting an unlocked old iPhone on craigslist or ebay and just buying the SIM in Spain?

Hi Patty,
I have an iPad which I love dearly, in fact I'm using it now :) but I wouldn't take it on the camino. It's too big, and heavy for me. The iPad mini sounds like a good idea though, if its something you would use at home anyway. 16 gb is plenty, for normal use.
If you own a smartphone you can use it to connect to the wifi free in Spain, so could write your blog at any time, the upload it when you get connected. I used a Samsung galaxy phone for pretty much everything, but turned off my data roaming package, so it wouldn't cost a fortune.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I considered bringing my iPad to my Camino next month, and like Fortview mentioned, it's the weight that made up my mind to leave it home. My smartphone is really all I need, and fits in my little clutch with my documents and money so when going to shower, it will go with me! That way, too, I will have one less thing to worry about. Everything you want to do with your iPad is possible to do with an iPhone, so like I have mentioned before: "Take care of the ounces (grams) and the pounds (kilos) will take care of themselves" it's a goodrule to abide by if you want to have a light pack and happy feet :D

Ultreia,

Mary

I've been using an iPad mini and I love it! It's small, light, and easily fits in a fanny pack.

I blog, email, carry a Spanish dictionary, access maps, the Internet, etc. Free WiFi is almost everywhere so I do not use a 3G or 4G network (so therefore I have no roaming charges).

The 16gb ipad mini will be ideal. I will be using it for wifi skyping, photography and general email, whats app etc on the portuguses camino this year. I walk around with a small backpack and this is so light and thin it can be placed anywhere and does not weigh much at all. Battery life is also fantastic. I will also be putting many guide books, ticket info and any other documents i will need on it as a backup. The guide books themselves will be well worth the weight saving.
I would not take a full size ipad unless you already have one, as they are quite heavy and cumbersome. (This coming from someone who took a 4kg SLR NIkon on the Camino Frances last year:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just bought my iPad Mini and am looking at apps. Found citymaps2go which works without an internet connection. You download maps and then they are live when you need them. Looks like it might work out well. What are your favorite apps for the Camino (besides the Forum one). Will begin April 28th SJPP and will try to get a blog started before that. Buen Camino Pilgrims!

My ipad mini arrived yesterday so now I am busy downloading all the Camino apps on our very slow broadband connection. I love it and may have to go for a walk with it and the earphones this afternoon! It will be so useful in 32 days time.......

Karin

We have brought the ipad mini with us on our first Camino starting today!
It is very lightweight and perfect for blogging. We also have some translation apps to help with menus and basic requests that our Spanish doesn't enable. we spoke at breakfast today to a Canadian guy who had used his for his first ever skype enabling his family to see that he was well rather than just hearing it. If you are happy to carry it than I would say yes to bringing the mini.
Sarah and Louise
Follow the blog walkthecamino.wordpress.com

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have no regrets bringing my iPad. We are just about to start our walk along the via de la plata and the iPad has proved an useful device to have. My wife has a knee issue and we hav struggled to find an English speaking doctors asking various sources for information, etc. By having the iPad I have been able to search the web and get more actaurate information that what has been provided to us.

Man, I've got to visit this forum more often. Thank you all for your replies to my question. I have bought an Ipad Mini 16g and it will get here Monday. Only now I"m thinking...do I want to take it, along with the cell phone I bought in Spain last year (very simple flip type) and my camera. Both those and the iPad will need charging. I may leave it at home and use computers along the way. I did that last year and it worked out. I've a whole year to decide. :(. I want to be there now!

Hi everyone,

If you are bringing an ipad or smartphone, leave the spanish dictionary at home. Just download the google translate app, then without the dictionary that will be less weight to carry.

In my 2 caminos i always carried a spanish dictionary and yet i have never opened it. Of course i speak intermediate spanish, which i have learned mostly on the caminos.

Que tengan un buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
promessi said:
Just bought my iPad Mini and am looking at apps. Found citymaps2go which works without an internet connection. You download maps and then they are live when you need them. Looks like it might work out well. What are your favorite apps for the Camino (besides the Forum one). Will begin April 28th SJPP and will try to get a blog started before that. Buen Camino Pilgrims!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... VzLm1heiJd

Access to a WiFi depends on the season.
During the low season when the bars, restaurants and albergues are closed there is less WiFi available on the camino because you need the password - you get it free while you are having your cafe con leche and croissant for breakfast.
If your have a smartphone and a Spanish sim card purchase more ´time´in any tobacco shop (be sure you give the lady the right telephone number before you leave the tobacco shop) - you can use your phone as a Wifi HotSpot for your iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.