• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ipad questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am considering whether to bring my ipad this year, to be able to communicate with home more easily and hopefully keep a blog.

But I have a couple of questions for those of you with some experience and knowledge.

I remember reading somewhere that it's hard to make blog posts on an ipad and that a special "ap" is recommended. Can someone please explain this to me? I don't ever use aps, I just use the internet, is there a difference? And what about this special ap idea?

Will I be able to upload pictures from my camera to my blog on the ipad? Is this complicated?

Thanks, I'm sure there will be more of these. Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Laurie

I too plan to bring my iPad for my latest walk through Spain. I did last year when we walked in France and found it useful for a number of reasons, beyond keeping in touch with family and friends via email and skype and facetime.

More importantly I was able to load a kindle version of a guidebook for the route in France, and this become our main source of information (we did carry a somewhat outdated french language paperback guidebook too but it proved not as useful). Since we were diverting off the main trail and going to Lourdes, I also uploaded into my ipad some additional maps and notes on how to do this.

Add I also loaded on the my ipad some additional documents (personal notes on food, key sites, etc) and I had access to these during the walk

My ipad become the main depository for 3 sets of camera photos plus I took the odd photo with my iPad.

We able to post to our Little Green Tracs blog and post to our Little Green Tracs facebook fan page. Since we use typepad for the blog, I downloaded the app for typepad and used this to upload images and post blog entries. I could have used the web directly but the upload functionality on my ipad did not work correctly. Likewise I used a Facebook page for fan pages (not the normal Facebook app) to post to our Little Green Tracs fan pages. Our Twitter account is connected to our blog, so no need to post here, since it done automatically.

This year I am building an electronic interactive guidebook for the Via de la Plata that I will take and use. It will include directions, maps, additional information on culture and food, history and accommodation. The accommodation guide I have posted previously, will be embedded directly into this interactive ebook.

I will also be taking photos and posting these to our blog and Facebook fan page too.

Cheers

Hi Laurie,

I don't suppose you will be taking pictures with the iPad while walking the Camino, else you will need a way to transfer the photos from the camera or phone to the iPad (too cumbersome). So instead of an iPad, an iPhone will be better as a camera and a blogging tool.

You know I walked the del Norte last July. I only carry my iPhone with a local SIM card and manage to blog every day. Even the SIM card is optional as wifi will do unless you want to blog along the path.

Now back to the blogging. I blog to Google Blogger via email. Can't get any simplier than that. The email subject is the post title, the email attachment (photo/photos) and the email text will show up in the post body. Send the email to a predefined address and viola, it will show up in blog.

I started doing this during my Camino via de la plata in 2008. Surprisingly, not much have change since then. As you know, walking the camino is already hard enough, and this method is easiest and quickest way to blog. Here the link.

http://camino.wificat.com/2008/10/blogging-on-camino-with-google-blogger.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Olá Laurie

About a year ago I bought myself an Apple Iphone (16 GB) in the USA.
Having no simcard by then I only used the Iphone for making videos and pictures.

Coming home I had about 250 video fragments and about 500 pictures.
So the memory of the Ipad/Iphone is enormous for those kind of things en de quality is great.
Besides you can store your pictures on Icloud , an free virtual storage Apple service of 5 GB
So no lack of storage att all.

The other day I bought the new Ipad mini for the reason of taking it with me on my caminho Portuges
to make pictures for my blog.I own another normal new Ipad aswell but this is too heavy and (for me) too big to take in the backpack.
The Ipad mini weighs about 300 grams and has 16 GB storage and small dimensions (compared to the normal Ipad.)
Mine has only wifi and 3 G (connection to the navigation satelites above you) so you can use the device as navigation too. As we do. I bought two apps from NAVMII from Portugal and Spain they sell apps from most all countries, anyway from countries in Europe.

When we will find a wifi spot on route , we connect to the world,reading out our email account and we communicate with our world by our travelblog.

At my blog ( send me your emailaddress and I will send you the link.) I will upload every day a short story and no more than 3 pictures to keep it interesting for our followers.

I just checked my Ipad mini. With all my apps for navigation as mentioned before,I also have downloaded about 800 songs ,news apps , apps for checking our banking accounts and the Portugese and Spanish wheater reports and still left over 8 GB + 5 GB at Icloud space for pictures.

We will leave our camera at home and take our multifunctional and light Ipad mini tablet with us.

Muito sorte e abracāos deste lado do mundo
Albertinho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Laurie,
I agree with Evan blogging from your phone is the lightweight way to go. You can easily set up the mail link to post blog+photos to either Blogger and the photos are simultaneously stored in Picasa Web or a mail link to post blog + photo to Flickr where the photo is kept and the blog is simultaneously sent to Blogger. I happily use both. Enjoy your preparation!
Margaret Meredith

I guess we are all different. I am looking at a spiritual reset. I only have 14 says walking so would like the solace and don't feel that my family need to hear from me frequently. I would really love not to use a phone or Internet for that time if possible.
Not being concerned about finding a wifi hotspot or charging my phone just in case I need it will be a huge challenge for me

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I dumped my pictures from a 14 megapix camera to my 16 gb iPad and while it is great for viewing them, it quickly filled up. Once the pictures are on the iPad, it is not so quick and easy to remove them.

The ipad is great for movies on the plane, but this year I will leave it with a friend in Paris, and just take the phone on the trail.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I don't have an iphone, so that's not an option at this point. I will have a Spanish cell phone, which I bring back home with me after every Camino, so I will just need to buy a new card in Movistar. But I guess you're saying that an iphone combines phone and ipad into one. Maybe next year, my technological process goes at a very slow pace.

So, if I bring the ipad, it will be for a couple of reasons -- to be able to see family on facetime when I'm all alone on the Camino de Levante, and to be able to write on my blog, as well as my own private journal. I will also have some books for reading, so I'm calculating that it's not any heavier than journal plus books. But I'm a reluctant techy-pilgrim in many ways, having done quite well with a simple Spanish phone and use of public computers for many years. So do you guys think I should stay in my pre-ipad phase or bring it along, given my choices?

Thanks, and I appreciate hearing about everyone's individual choices -- not surprisingly, there's quite a range!

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,

You already had experience with a Spanish SIM card. Get an iPhone or iPad to get familiarize with that before your next camino.

As said earlier, iPhone has the added advantage of taking photos for your blog besides facetime. It's way lighter and even the charger is smaller. iPad will be a more effort in getting the photos in there besides the weight but has a bigger screen. Your choice.

Suggest you get it and be familiar with it before your next camino.

Cheers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie

My vote is for the iPad.

I do agree with Evan that the iPhone might be better device in terms of size and weight especially for taking photos but the iPad you have is a better device for doing almost everything else including taking notes, uploading postings to blogs, and reading electronic books

Ideally the best device is the iPad mini which gives you a pretty camera and smaller form factor that does not comprise on other functionality.

The iPad mini is about the same size and weight as most light weight guidebooks - something to consider.

Regards

I also plan to bring my iPad mini with me when I walk the Camino next December, and will likely use dropbox to save my photos, although I already have a sd card for my camera that will hold close to 2800 still photos. I'm not sure how much it will hold for video, but don't plan on making any of those at the time, anyway.

The nice thing about dropbox (or flickr, or other repository) is that it won't clutter up your devices, so you will be able to take pictures to your heart's content!

Just a thought!

Ruth

Our Camino begins April 13th from SJPdP. I had been concerned about the risk of losing our photos if they were only kept on the camera memory card, and the camera became lost or stolen. I have an iTouch, but I wanted the additional flexibility of a midlevel “point and shoot”. With a little internet research, I found that there is a wi-fi memory card sold by Eye-Fi. I purchase the 16GB version and configured it. It works with most digital cameras that take an SD memory card. Here is what it does for us:
I set the card to “link” with my iTouch. When I take a picture the Eye-Fi stores the image and it also sends it to my iTouch. From there, my iTouch sends it both to my Apple “cloud”, and the Eye-Fi “cloud”… when my iTouch links with a wi-fi network… and from there the images automatically also download to my home computer! The Eye-Fi has an “endless memory” that starts to delete the oldest images from the card only if they have been uploaded to the “clouds”, and then only once the card has hit 75% capacity! From my iTouch I can selectively email, Facebook, or whatever, the images (as “links”) to anyone I wish. This set me back less than $100.00. Anyway, the setup is not the easiest thing I have ever done, but with a little perseverance it works flawlessly. By the way, I can also use my iTouch camera which links to the Eye-Fi cloud and directly then to my home computer. http://www.eye.fi
Pete and Christine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie,
You might be interested in reading a recent blog post about technology by John and Robin who completed a winter Camino a few weeks back. They used an iPad Mini, and used an app called Blogsy for blogging, downloaded from the App Store via iTunes.
http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/technology.html

Last year I took an iPod Touch and blogged when I could mainly by sending blog posts via e-mail to Blogger. But my 'older' eyes often found the small screen a bit tricky. Am planning on taking a iPad or iPad Mini next time- and will download guidebooks to it- or if they can't be downloaded, I will buy them and scan them into a pdf I can access along the way.
Margaret

If I could ask some "related" question ...

I am planning to bring an iPhone (hopefully the 5) and an iPad mini. My current phone (4S) is still under contract to Verizon (USA). I am not familiar with SIM cards (Verizon does not use them) but have been corresponding with someone at simcardspain.se. I was most interested to see if I could tether my iPad to the iPhone. Vodafone allows tethering. So, if I can tether as well as use WiFi, what would be the best Vodafone card to get? Thanks. Plan to be on the "Way" in September.

Hi mustbjones,

Remember you are walking the camino de santiago. So:

1. Unless you have done it before, the weight of carrying 2 devices on your back (or front) will add up.
2. Devices that needs to be charge takes time. You have to worry about the safety leaving the devices in the toilets/room for charging. This is compounded by more power point required by more devices. The effort and time is better spend in the company of other pilgrims and self reflection.
3. Tethering will drain the battery of 2 devices at the same time. The net effect is more charging required.

One ironic thing about the camino that I've learned is that you are very very busy all the time. Here's a typical day of walking with my iPhone on the Camino del Norte. You can decide what to bring based on your preference.

AM
1. Woke up in my walking clothes. This cut some time in preparation to ready for the day.
2. Finished off that banana I've been carrying the last 2 days. The bar might be open early in this town. Let's find one for the heavenly caffee con leche (coffee with milk) before starting off.
3. Quick check of email/facebook on the phone (if you have data SIM or wifi at bar). Start walking. Mind is blissful, but feet is busy walking.
4. Ah waterpoint! Do I have enough water or do I need to top up now.
5. Uhm... where am I? Darn! Lost the arrows. Noooo!!! I don't want to backtrack. OK, out come the iPhone from my fanny pack. Map app. Find my location. Ah! There is a small road going to the next town from here, no need to backtrack, yeah!!!
PM
1. Busy looking for lunch or a place to stop to make my lunch (same old chorizo sandwich on 2 day old bread).
2. Should I stop here or should I push on to the next place? Next place then, means I will arrive probably around 3-4 pm.
3. Arrived. Albergue full/non-existent/others? Good, it's not not full. Got a bed. Now how big is this town? Where are the restaurant/supermarket/bars? Decided not to cook tonight as there is only a microwave in the kitchen area. Let's find out when can I have a decent dinner?
4. Finding a good location for the bed in the bunk, power point locations (hopefully it is not too far away).
6. Shower. Ah that's heaven!!!
7. Some basic laundry? Yeww! I really need to wash the socks and the bottom of my cut-out pants thanks to the muddy section in the morning.
8. Where can I hang the wet socks laundry, and where the hell are my cloth pegs?
9. OK. Weather is good, the clothes are drying. Now relaxing in the courtyard, out with the phone. Quick check of emails, facebook (data SIM. If wifi only one will have to find a bar or library in town and also ask for password). Then write my journal (used to be a pen/book) but now blogging on the phone (via email or blogger app). Ah! No wonder the shops are closed today! Today's Sunday! (that happens on the camino where after a while you lost track of the day of the week). Now where are the pictures of the cow/beach/otherpilgrims/yourpick? Blogged!
10. Multiple choices depending on preferences and situations. a. Beer at the bar. b. Siesta (very tired) c. Checking out tomorrow's walk+siesta. The last 2 options is a good time to charge your phone/pad/etc.
11. Talk to people. Arranged for dinner venue (usually around 8 pm). Or visit the supermarket after 5 pm when they are open again after their siesta. Phone charged.
12. Cook dinner or go out. Be merry!
13. Already 10.30 pm?. Remember to take in the laundry. Ready for bed. Set the alarm and put the headset bud in one of the ears. Time to read some ebooks (hopefully tonight I will get passed page 24. Has been on the same page for the past 3 nights). Oh no... the zzzzz monster... fade to black!

My point is, the window for using the device for blogging is very small. On the camino, we want to live a simply life, carry only what we need. Yet at the same time we might want to connect to the ones at home or the internet once in a while. It's a balance.

So bring your iPhone/iPad/iPad Mini. But just bring one. Any more and it will just be dead weight, especially if you don't have the time to use it. The camino is no place to transfer pictures back and forth from devices to devices. It takes too much time and the bandwidth and speed is never guaranteed. Average time per day on the blogging/email/facebook? 20-30 minutes. Longer if you need time to look for a hotspot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
mustbjones said:
If I could ask some "related" question ...

I am planning to bring an iPhone (hopefully the 5) and an iPad mini. My current phone (4S) is still under contract to Verizon (USA). I am not familiar with SIM cards (Verizon does not use them) but have been corresponding with someone at simcardspain.se. I was most interested to see if I could tether my iPad to the iPhone. Vodafone allows tethering. So, if I can tether as well as use WiFi, what would be the best Vodafone card to get? Thanks. Plan to be on the "Way" in September.

Just find out if your Iphone is "simlockfree" and buy yourself in a local Spanish phoneshop (f.ex. At Madrid Barajas airport) in any bigger town a so called pre pago simcard . Many options. With or without internet .

Mucho suerte y buen camino

Evenlow, thank you for your lengthily answer. Since this is my first Camino I did not think that I would be that busy. I was thinking of using the iPhone for photos and local calls. The iPad mini was for keeping ebooks/guides, maps, GPS tracks, etc. When I can connect to WiFi I would use Skype to call home. The Apple web site says it weighs just .312g. The iPhone5 weights 112g. So both together are 424g. That is under 1 lb.

I think it sounds good to bring an iPhone and an iPad mini on the camino.
Myself I'm taking only the iPhone, as I'm the lucky owner of an iPhone 4 with the old Real Proper and fantastic Google maps, as I did not do the awful updating which I unfortunately did on the iPad.
Which ruined my iPad as there is no google maps for iPad.
I checked itunes this morning and there was still just the small version for iPhone, which looks silly on the iPad.
And it's not as good as the old google maps anyway.
Now I almost forgot what I was trying to say, as I miss the old google maps on ipad so much. :wink:
Well. As long as they don't offer decent maps with the iPad, one may just as well bring only an iPhone, unless you want a bigger screen when you are reading books or writing your blog etc.

Thank you SusannafromSweden. I added the new Google Maps app to my iPhone 4S v6.1.2. So I am ok there. But you are right, wish there was one for the iPad.

Now I just learned something interesting from Simcardspain.se. There is no Data-Only Vodafone SIM card. You just by buy another phone card and just use the data. But that strikes me as wrong because how do you activate a SIM card on an iPad? Does anyone have actual experience with an iPad and SIM card?

Thanks.

Google Maps requires you to be connect to the internet. Get an offline map to prevent incurring the data charges. I used this in my last camino and it's free.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/navfree ... 20476?mt=8

On any iPhone with a SIM card it will work. Outdoors via GPS and indoors via cell signal triangulation. Would probably work with iPad that has 3G capabilities but not the wifi version.

evanlow said:
Google Maps requires you to be connect to the internet. Get an offline map to prevent incurring the data charges. I used this in my last camino and it's free.

On any iPhone with a SIM card it will work. Outdoors via GPS and indoors via cell signal triangulation. Would probably work with iPad that has 3G capabilities but not the wifi version.

I have an AT&T iPhone; do you know if it has a sim? (If so, I don't see it). I guess my question is whether navfree would work on an iPhone 5 in Spain?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Karl

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think all the iPhone 5s have a sim card slot and are unlocked. I think....
If so you can get a Spanish SIM.

Anyway, you can load the Navfree map of Spain on the phone in the US, and use it in Spain as a GPS with no SIM. Just be sure your cellular data is turned off and not roaming. We used NavFree Italy just fine with no data service.

GPS has nothing to do with cellular service. Your maps don't either, if they are loaded into the phones memory.

Actually using GPS to find your location is actually slower since it takes time to acquire the sat.
Assisted GPS (using the SIM card is way faster and can be used indoor). Surprisingly, even though they communicated with multiple cell station to find your location, they don't contribute to your data roaming charges.

I used it for my last vacation in Europe with a SIM card from home (Singapore) for a week. I set up the phone to disable data roaming. The location works indoor/outdoor very fast. Go figure.

Coming home, there were no data charges on the bill, only charges for a few very expensive SMS from home.

evanlow said:
Actually using GPS to find your location is actually slower since it takes time to acquire the sat.
Assisted GPS (using the SIM card is way faster and can be used indoor)..

Interesting. The only time my iPad GPS is slow is after I get off a plane and the poor thing is seriously confused about where it is. Otherwise, zap, it has the location. Worked great in Cuba, where nothing works well. (there is a thread on another board where people insist GPS doesn't work in Cuba)
I don't often need to find out where I am when I am indoors:).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Newfydog,

Inside the car is also considered indoor. :)
During my vacation trip I have to pull out the phone from my pocket a couple of times to check my location in the car. At the seat (the phone is under the car roof and not situated around the windshield/windscreen, there is not way to get a fix on GPS). But the with SIM card roaming, viola! RIght at my seat. Almost instantanous. No data charges. I guess roaming chatter between the cell stations and the phone are not considered as data usage. Let's hope they keep it that way.

Indoor capability is always good to have during the camino. I used it a couple of times during my last year's Camino del Norte in the albergue to check the location after I arrived, showered has rested. Just like that, you know where you are in town/city, how big roughly is the town/city, etc.... which depending on how you look at it may or may not be a good thing as it takes the unexpected discovery or serendipity of the camino out of the equation.

kmrice said:
evanlow said:

I have an AT&T iPhone; do you know if it has a sim? (If so, I don't see it). I guess my question is whether navfree would work on an iPhone 5 in Spain?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Navfree will work at least for me on wifi. Remember it is not as detailed as the NAVMII app I bought for about 5 euros
I compared the NAVFREE with the NAVMII the other night and the last one is far better .

Karl

AT&T's iPhone in the US would be have a SIM card. (mine is a 4S and it is on the right side in the middle where you will notice a hole you can push a pin to eject the SIM card).

However, phones are usually locked in the US to prevent you from using other SIM card in (e.g. a local SIM card from Spain). You can still roam on your AT&T from the US but any data charges, text messages or phone calls will cost a lot of money.

As of the app, it all depends on which one your prefer. A paid app will probably be better. I use NavFree since it is free (beggers can't be choosers) :wink:

NavFree (or any other map app) will definitely work in Spain since I have used it last year walking the Camino del Norte. I had a local Spanish SIM, but once of twice when there is no cell reception I still managed to find my location (via GPS) though it took around half a minute to acquired this info.

Thanks. Found the SIM card - took quite a while to figure out how to put it back into the phone! I'm glad I didn't try that out on the Camino for the first time. Had to go crawling under my desk to find it.

I have a locked iPhone 5, but also have an old iPhone 4 which is not in use. I wonder if I can get the 4 unlocked and use it with a SIM card from a Spanish provider, without getting any US service? From what evanlow says, that would seem greatly improve the performance of the GPS apps.

The iPhone sim is tiny; can you get Spanish SIM cards that size? The last time I used a cell phone in Europe the SIM card was much larger.

Karl

Hi Karl,

I used Yoigo last year. They are the 4th cell phone provider in Spain and gives very good deal. The SIM card plus 800 MB of data and some local airtime only cost me 32 euro? (not sure the exactly amount). Since I do not use the local airtime credit, I even manage to get an additional 300 MB of data when it ran out with the remainding credits. That's 1.1 GB of data for the price! Then you can check your Facebook, email, blog (with photos upload) all in the albergue without having to go out and hunt for a wifi hotspot.

Besides their own shops, Yoigo can be found in every Carrefour supermarket. I got mine in Madrid when I landed at Carrefour near the Ave. America. They do need a local address (just gave them the address for your country's consulate. :D )

My iPhone 4S also comes with the mini-SIM. The lady in the counter when shown my iPhone merely took the full size SIM and place it on a machine cutter specifically mean to trim it down to the mini-SIM so it can fit on my iPhone 4S.

I believe you can unlock your iPhone in the US when the contract with AT&T is up. Then you can put any provider's SIM in there. Don't bring the iPhone 5 there as they have a even small SIM with is not compatible with the earlier two SIM card.

You can also use the SIM card on an iPad (but it has to be a 3G iPad, not the wifi version). Not sure about the SIM on an iPad mini though since I don't own one.

Hope that helps.

kmrice said:
Thanks. Found the SIM card - took quite a while to figure out how to put it back into the phone! I'm glad I didn't try that out on the Camino for the first time. Had to go crawling under my desk to find it.

I have a locked iPhone 5, but also have an old iPhone 4 which is not in use. I wonder if I can get the 4 unlocked and use it with a SIM card from a Spanish provider, without getting any US service? From what evanlow says, that would seem greatly improve the performance of the GPS apps.

The iPhone sim is tiny; can you get Spanish SIM cards that size? The last time I used a cell phone in Europe the SIM card was much larger.

Karl

When you are in any phoneshop they have a device to cut the normal simcard into one that fits in the Iphone. no problem at all. Keep the left over of the cutted simcard so you can use it later in a telephone with a normal cardsize just with the help of a piece of sellotape at the backside.
We take our "old"Samsung with us -lighter than the Iphone and use the iphone sized card with the cutted out left over.. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was just reading a blog and found this:

We walked 15 kms out of our way. Now had my GPS been working....

Because this a lonely route and not always well marked, I decided to use the GPS on my iPhone. I bought an overseas data package - 50 megabytes for $125. Bloody expensive, I know, but better than using the phone without one and ending up with a bill for $35,000 like the woman from BC.
my iPhone is working now, and I'm using it sparingly for its GPS.

evanlow and I have mentioned a a point, which is not well understood by many, so I'll repeat it----
You do not need phone or data service, or a SIM card for GPS.
If you have a SIM card, it can speed up the GPS in some units, but it does not need to be running up a data bill.

The poor blogger quoted above could have run the GPS all day without using any data. No big deal on the Frances, but important on some other routes.

Laurie, I found that the iPad mini was a perfect Camino companion. It is small enough that it fit in my jacket pocket, so I never stressed about what to do with it after a day's walk. The weight is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Photos from your camera upload to the iPad through an SD card reader cable which is about the length of your index finger, and weighs next to nothing. As Margaret (KiwiNomad) said in an earlier response I found posting to our blog much easier using an application called Blogsy. Using this app I could compose posts, add photos or video (I now understand how to do the video bit), make edits, move things around, and generally get the post ready for upload at the next WiFi location. You can prepare and save all your posts so that once a WiFi connection is available you simply select post and away they go. Couldn't be easier. Happy trails.

John

Everything edited by me, MBJ. I figured out that John is talking about transferring photos from a digital camera not an iPhone to the iPad. So my question and comments were no longer relevant.

Just out of curiosity--all of you folks to blog with iPads or iPhones or whatever, don't you find it difficult to type much without a real keyboard? Or do you mostly do "photo blogs" kind of things with limited amounts of text?

I've tried typing a bit on devices my friends have, but it's so incredibly and frustratingly slow to me. How do you all do it? The keyboards in Spain generally didn't give me much trouble since all the letters and numbers are in the same places, so I suppose some of you might supplement your devices with actual computers along the way, but those French keyboards are so different than what I'm used to, I could barely type at all on those.

I have additional needs beyond just typing lots of text and ended up carrying the smallest, lightest laptop I could find which worked out really well except that it was, hands down, the heaviest object in my pack. That Microsoft Surface device looks tempting to me--much lighter than my laptop and actually has a real-looking keyboard, but I haven't seen or used it in person, so maybe I wouldn't like it.

But anyhow, I'd imagine that the lack of a keyboard would be the biggest problem for me in using an iPad, but clearly a lot of people are doing it. So what's your secret? =)

-- Ryan

I would like to know if anyone has had actual experience putting a SIM card into an iPad (regular or mini.) If so, what brand, and did you find one that just does data or did you have to "waste" minutes and SMS messages?

RE: typing
For my iPad I use a Logitech keyboard that was designed to fit as the cover (with the same type magnets). It is slim, lightweight, same size as the iPad, holds a charge for six months of typing and has a notch to set the iPad in while you are typing. I bring this along when I want to type more than just a few e-mails. I have a lightweight neoprene protective cover that protects the iPad with this keyboard or a normal cover. I do not have the mini and do not know if the same type keyboard exists for it -- but guess that something similar also exists for the mini.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello I have an orange sim for my ipad and it was just plug and play done in the shop. And they give you options on prepago of by the day ( midnight to midnight) or week can not remember if they do it it by the month. I only have it on the day and have only used it three days in the last year have used free wi-fi. I use my iPhone 4S in Spain on Vodafone no data use free wi-fi again I do not know if you can get a micro sim on prepago for the iphone 5. I will find out next week when I get back there. Also you will need you passport in Spain to get a SIM card. Spanish web sites end in .es normally not .se hope this helps. My first post on this forum. Hope it helps.

I put a sim from Maxroam in the iPad last year. It worked on occasion in France and worked well in Italy. I got 100 mb and used it only when there was no wi- fi. I remember sitting in a park in one Italian town where we could see a number of hotels, and we checked them all on Tripadvisor.

This year I won't use that sim because I can get cheaper international data from Verizon, my carrier here in the US.

edit--Maxroam data only sim 37 euros for 75 mb

Verizon Global data 25 dollars for 100mb

without global data plan, $20.48 for one MB!

Thanks for your willingness to help. I hate to sound like an idiot, but I confess that a lot of this discussion goes way over my head. So please forgive what will probably be stupid questions.

If I bring an apple product, it will be an ipad, because I already have one. I appreciate that maybe other devices would be better, but that's what I've got. I have one of those logitech keyboards, so typing is easy. I agree with the comments about being "over-connected" but having the wi-fi option to connect with home (parents in 90s and one-year old grandchild) makes it attractive. I know it's heavy, but since I always carry a book for reading after walking, and since I've bought a much smaller camera, I think the overall total weight of my pack will be about the same.

I understand that I will need an ap to make blogging on the ipad work well, so I will buy the Blogsy ap that Kialoa recommends.

But what I don't know is how to get pictures from my camera to my blog. I have never been able to figure this out when using public computers, so I'm not sure I will be able to figure out the transfer from camera to ipad. I have a new small camera, the Canon powershot sx260 hs, and it has a cord for transferring photos to a computer, but the plug won't fit anywhere into my ipad.

I am still tempted to just leave the ipad at home and rely on my typical strategy of finding library computers to blog and do email, but the appeal of the facetime option is pretty strong.

Thanks for your patience, buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for your willingness to help. I hate to sound like an idiot, but I confess that a lot of this discussion goes way over my head. So please forgive what will probably be stupid questions.

If I bring an apple product, it will be an ipad, because I already have one. I appreciate that maybe other devices would be better, but that's what I've got. I have one of those logitech keyboards, so typing is easy. I agree with the comments about being "over-connected" but having the wi-fi option to connect with home (parents in 90s and one-year old grandchild) makes it attractive. I know it's heavy, but since I always carry a book for reading after walking, and since I've bought a much smaller camera, I think the overall total weight of my pack will be about the same.

I understand that I will need an ap to make blogging on the ipad work well, so I will buy the Blogsy ap that Kialoa recommends.

But what I don't know is how to get pictures from my camera to my blog. I have never been able to figure this out when using public computers, so I'm not sure I will be able to figure out the transfer from camera to ipad. I have a new small camera, the Canon powershot sx260 hs, and it has a cord for transferring photos to a computer, but the plug won't fit anywhere into my ipad.

I am still tempted to just leave the ipad at home and rely on my typical strategy of finding library computers to blog and do email, but the appeal of the facetime option is pretty strong.

Hi Laurie
Have a look on that big river site (amazon) you can get an adaptor that fits ipad for sd cards and others to transfer photos from camera to ipad. I use my ipad for 99% of my Internet stuff and only the on screen keyboard it's what you get use to.

peregrina2000 said:

Hi Laurie

You need a camera adapter for the iPad. The kit includes a USB connector (useful for older model cameras that use a cable to transfer photos from the camera to your computer) and a SD card reader (most newer model cameras use this type of card). I took this kit with me while walking the Le Puy route and I was able load images from my nikon d70 and my wife' camera over to my iPad. From there you simply upload the images to your blog

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC531 ... ection-kit

You can probably get a bit cheaper from sites like amazon, etc

Regards

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Laurie,

Facetime may sounds like a good idea but think where you will be getting your wifi connection for facetime? Noisy bars? Quiet libraries?

I only manage to Skype outside a library with strong enough signal on Sunday (it was closed). :D

A good alternative may be may be a private albergue with good wifi signal.

Cheers.

All this help is very much appreciated. But Evanlow, I think you made the telling point -- where do I think I'll be doing facetime anyway?! You're absolutely right -- neither the bar nor the library are good spots for that.

That very astute observation :D leads me to conclude that I will not be bringing my ipad and will instead fall back on my tried and true old-fashioned method of having a Spanish cell phone, a calling card for the US, and using library computers. I had been thinking it would be a pain to have to worry about my ipad and lug it with me wherever I go, and Evan's point clinched the decision for me.

Maybe in 2014 I'll have an iphone and can embark on some of these higher tech options! Thanks much, Laurie

Laurie, you might consider getting a mobile hotspot. Let it create the WiFi network, then you can use it anywhere. You also didn't say if you are talking about an iPad (full) or an iPad mini?

Hi mustbjones,

I think Laurie doesn't have an iPhone, only iPad, therefore can't create a mobile hotspot which requires an iPhone. In addition, the 3G in Spain is not particularly fast (especially out the big cities), and FaceTime requires a higher bandwidth than Skype or other VOIP solutions.

If she does bring the iPad, then it would be for blogging only, and that may not be enough to justify carry this excess weight.

jirit said:
I was able load images from my nikon d70 and my wife' camera over to my iPad. From there you simply upload the images to your blog
Hi Jirit - I'm curious as to what lens you took with your D70? Also, with the iPad and camera, what was the total weight of your backpack? I am taking my iPad (2nd gen) with a x10 Fujifilm camera, however I'd love to take my D3200 with a (DX) 12-24mm lens, however it's another 650 gms heavier than my Fuji. Bill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
evanlow said:
Don't bring the iPhone 5 there as they have a even small SIM with is not compatible with the earlier two SIM card.

Thanks, Evanlow. Am I correct that this means that the SIM cards from Yoigo cannot be cut down to fit my iPhone 5?

I'm not starting until September, so perhaps they will start making smaller cards when the iPhone 5 has been around a little longer.

Thanks for your help.

Karl

evanlow said:
I think Laurie doesn't have an iPhone, only iPad, therefore can't create a mobile hotspot which requires an iPhone.

Even,
I was thinking about the mobile hotspots devices that can be purchased separately. I have a Motorola 4510L that I purchased last year. Works great in the US. but I don't think it will work in Europe. There are newer models that will.

MBJ

kmrice said:
evanlow said:
Don't bring the iPhone 5 there as they have a even small SIM with is not compatible with the earlier two SIM card.

Thanks, Evanlow. Am I correct that this means that the SIM cards from Yoigo cannot be cut down to fit my iPhone 5?

I'm not starting until September, so perhaps they will start making smaller cards when the iPhone 5 has been around a little longer.

Thanks for your help.

Karl

Vodaphone already sells the Nano SIM for the iPhone 5. Check out SIMcardspain.es

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We seem to be getting off topic somewhat. I am still trying to find out if someone has been successful finding a SIM card for a cellular iPad (regular or mini) that is just for data. Thanks.

Five points.

1. iPhones and iPad uses micro SIM (a regular SIM can be cut down).

2. iPhone 5 and iPad Mini uses the nano SIM. Unless the vendors advertised that, it's a no go.

3. Yoigo (unless something has changed) gave me the most bang for the buck with 800 mb of data (including the SIM card cut down to a micro SIM) last May for 30+ euro. I don't think they have the prepaid nano SIM.

4. For iPad (except the mini) you can use the micro SIM for the data. No phone calls on the iPad so the airtime is wasted. Ironically, I didn't use airtime at all when I had it on my iPhone last year and I still managed to get another 300 mb of data for 5 euros without having to recharge the prepaid card (so my guess is that had to be at least 5 euros worth of airtime).

5. Although this thread is on iPad, I am exploring using an android phone (those big ones) for my next camino. So I can get the best of both worlds. A phablet (phone and tablet). Those things seems to be make specifically for the camino. A phone with camera and a tablet so you don't have to transfer images across devices. Small enough to use as a camera, make phone calls, and big enough to blog comfortably. Best of all, only one device to carry and charge. Plus they are all regular or at worse micro-SIM, not those nano-SIM that is only being used by Apple.

Some food for thought.....

Evan, maybe some day I can walk a stage or two with you and some of your tech knowledge will rub off on me! I appreciate how much help you give the rest of us. I will make sure to ask you before making a major purchase for 2014, this year I'm sticking with the old fashioned way.
Buen camino, Laurie

billbennettoz said:
jirit said:
I was able load images from my nikon d70 and my wife' camera over to my iPad. From there you simply upload the images to your blog
Hi Jirit - I'm curious as to what lens you took with your D70? Also, with the iPad and camera, what was the total weight of your backpack? I am taking my iPad (2nd gen) with a x10 Fujifilm camera, however I'd love to take my D3200 with a (DX) 12-24mm lens, however it's another 650 gms heavier than my Fuji. Bill

Hi Bill

I use a 18-135 Nikon lens with the D70. This is the same camera/lens combination I used to take the photos that appear in my interactive ebook The Camino. The book is available on the Apple iBookstore here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-ca ... 52998?ls=1.

I used these also when we walked the Via Francigena in Italy however I thinking for next year to switch the Nikon with a newer model.

I took the ipad for the first time last year when we walked the Le Puy route. It has become my guidebook/laptop and I think I will continue to use on future camino walks (though I might consider using a ipad mini).

I am less concerned about the weight and more concerned about what I am taking. So I "suffer" by taking my Nikon and ipad but in return I get "rewarded" by taking the photos I want

falcon269 said:
I think this chip will work:

http://www.vodafone.es/particulares/es/ ... l-prepago/

It has cell phone capability, but is very expensive for minute of talking. The data is quite reasonable.

Thanks Falcon,
I have been struggling with this page for the last hour. I don't read Spanish and Google Translate breaks down on some of the pages. Drilling down from the top page gets me to where it list four choices: modems through WiFi; but they all lead to the same page which shows modems. The one tap that says "Data SIMS" has the work "contract" in its choices so I am confused - how can you have "pre-paid" repago and contract at the same time.

I tried correlating to the SIMCARDSPAIN.ES page for Vodafone but I don't see the same thing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
jirit said:
Hi Bill

I use a 18-135 Nikon lens with the D70. This is the same camera/lens combination I used to take the photos that appear in my interactive ebook The Camino. The book is available on the Apple iBookstore here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-ca ... 52998?ls=1.

I used these also when we walked the Via Francigena in Italy however I thinking for next year to switch the Nikon with a newer model.

I took the ipad for the first time last year when we walked the Le Puy route. It has become my guidebook/laptop and I think I will continue to use on future camino walks (though I might consider using a ipad mini).

I am less concerned about the weight and more concerned about what I am taking. So I "suffer" by taking my Nikon and ipad but in return I get "rewarded" by taking the photos I want
Hi Neville, thank you for the detailed response. And hey, I'm going to buy your book! It looks like it will be useful, (I start my first Camino on April 10th from SJPP) and photographically, it looks like you've done some terrific work too. So yes, I can see how the weight is less an issue when you're carrying the tools you need.

If you're considering an upgrade, I bought the D3200 as a DX backup camera to my main FX Nikon system - principally because it's small, light, and it's got that amazing 24MP sensor. It's a basic DSLR, but the image quality (and high ISO) are both fantastic. I believe the new 16-85mm is a cracker lens too, although you might want the greater reach of the 135mm.

Looking forward to your book!
Bill
http://billbennett.zenfolio.com

1. You buy the SIM or micro SIM.
2. Put it in your iPhone or iPad.
3. Pick your plan. I get the 1G monthly plan.
4. Add time when you run out of data.

mustbjones said:
We seem to be getting off topic somewhat. I am still trying to find out if someone has been successful finding a SIM card for a cellular iPad (regular or mini) that is just for data. Thanks.
Yes orange do it's what I have in my ipad for emergency you can have it by the day or week

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning on bringing either my iPhone or iPad mini (or both?). Anyone have some thoughts on this subject?

Skydance,

It all depends how much one is willing to carry and charge. If you bring both, get a duo USB ports on one power point so you can charge both at the same time.

billbennettoz said:
jirit said:
Hi Bill

Hi Neville, thank you for the detailed response. And hey, I'm going to buy your book! It looks like it will be useful, (I start my first Camino on April 10th from SJPP) and photographically, it looks like you've done some terrific work too. So yes, I can see how the weight is less an issue when you're carrying the tools you need.

If you're considering an upgrade, I bought the D3200 as a DX backup camera to my main FX Nikon system - principally because it's small, light, and it's got that amazing 24MP sensor. It's a basic DSLR, but the image quality (and high ISO) are both fantastic. I believe the new 16-85mm is a cracker lens too, although you might want the greater reach of the 135mm.

Looking forward to your book!
Bill
http://billbennett.zenfolio.com

Thanks Bill and thank you for the information on the D3200. I will spend more time looking a new camera once we are back from Spain.

And since you like what I have done with The Camino, I might suggest you check out our latest "hot off the electronic press" release of An Italian Odyssey:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/book/an-ita ... 6102?mt=11

Cheers

€83,-
Do not bring your iPad, do not communicate too much!

Hello All!

I would recommend that you do not bring an iPad with you and that you communicate with home and friends only when strictly necessary.

I brought my iPad with me last year on a three-week trek (in Spain, but not to Santiago). On the positive side, every night I could communicate with my family, without having to go to a cybercafé. But on the negative side, my wife and children, knowing I had my iPad and could read my emails, sent me several mails per day, keeping me up to date on what was happening at home, telling me of problems that had arisen, asking me for advice, etc.. The result was that I felt emotionally that I was still at home, not alone on a GR trail.

My advice therefore is to concentrate on your walk, keep distractions like emails to a minimum and listen rather to the subtle messages that your body and soul are trying to draw to your attention.

Personally, I liked being able to switch off from the fast pace of the technology driven world and focus on the here and now, the pilgrims along side, and what we together were experiencing. Taking a pen and journal and recording the trip the old fashioned way is for me. But that said, some people prefer to be more connected to back home, and that is completely fine also. So definately personal preference

A bit off topic -

For people who want to have a bit of contact back home look for locotarios in Spain. They have internet for about 1 euro per hour and also very cheap phone rates.

When I asked for an internet café people didn't know what I meant but once someone finally told me to ask for locotarios I was set. Some are nicer than others but the prices are good and very handy during the day or at night when the albergue doesn't have any computers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started this thread back in March as I was trying to figure out whether to bring my ipad on the Camino. Much help from others, and particularly Evan's comments, convinced me that it would be silly to bring it. More than anything, I decided that the size of the device made it too big to carry around with me after walking and that leaving it in my pack would be unwise. So I was planning to walk as I have for the last decade or so -- buy a SIM card for my ancient Spanish cell phone to use in emergencies and rely on internet in libraries, casas de cultura, and locutorios.

Then, about a week before my camino, my 88 year old mom was rushed to the hospital. Until the day before my departure I was uncertain whether I would walk this year or not. My husband, parents, and family urged me to go and the solution we came up with was that I would buy an iphone to bring with me for internet and hopefully Skype connections home. So I left the next day with a phone whose capabilities are still way beyond mine, but it was a godsend. I was able to Skype with my mom and dad nearly every day. Every little cafe/bar in every little town, with only a few exceptions, has wifi. Bar owners were always so accommodating, putting me in little rooms so I could speak with my parents, telling me to come back at a certain time when things would be quiet, just in general being very sympathetic and helpful. Talking with them about wifi and how it has affected their business actually gave me some new awareness of how technology is affecting even these remote parts of the country.

I can only say that though many would urge me to "disconnect" and to focus on other things, I would not have been able to walk this year without the iphone. So for me, this is yet another example of what anniesantiago has said -- it's different this year. I think it's beyond pointless to think that the Camino can or should be free of the technology that now permeates our every waking hour (at least in the US). How we use it and how it affects our caminos will just depend on each of us.

Buen camino, Laurie

falcon269 said:
Where? That's the key. In English purchased over the web?

Larricka.
At any Carrefour supermarket. Lots of providers there to choose from.

Laurie.
That is what I have been trying to say all along here in this forum thead that when it comes to convenience, weight, usability, etc. the iPhone still has the best form factor. But still it's up to individual's choice.

That said, when I am on vacation my iPad also comes with me. :D

evanlow said:
Larricka.
At any Carrefour supermarket. Lots of providers there to choose from.

Laurie.
That is what I have been trying to say all along here in this forum thead that when it comes to convenience, weight, usability, etc. the iPhone still has the best form factor. But still it's up to individual's choice.

That said, when I am on vacation my iPad also comes with me. :D

I hate to keep harping on this subject but I have an iPad mini which contains a nano sim as opposed to a micro sim. This sim cannot be "cut down" to size so I'm trying to purchase prior to my arrival to ensure I can get the needed sim. Most sites I have visited are in spanish and my google translator does not always provide concise information. Thanks

Larricka, the pre-paid sim market till now is focus only on handset (SIM and micro-SIM) almost everywhere, not just in Spain.

Until it happens, those with iPad/iPad mini (new generation) will be out of luck.

basically I do like Evan. Using iPad mini without SIM card with my android phone with Spanish ( or whatever country's) SIM card. Public wifi when it exists or my phone'S HotSpot for wifi otherwise.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Evan,
You are my high-tech hero, and I really appreciate all the help you give luddites like me. My sticking point with the iphone was the price, which became a non-factor when it was clear that in order to walk this year, I really needed to have regular wifi contact with home.

Thanks for all your patience, Laurie

Larricka said:
falcon269 said:
Where? That's the key. In English purchased over the web?

http://www.apple.com/es/ipad-mini/ultrafast-wireless/

Apple claims Moviestar,Orange and Vodafone all sell SIMS for the mini.

I think you'll be hard pressed to buy this from abroad but all those carriers sell Ipads and should be stocking the SIMs.

Maybe email apple.es and ask for pointers?

Your welcome Laurie,

I am glad that the bar owners are able to give you quiet rooms in order for you to Skype.

Yes, technology (especially social) has permeated everywhere, even rural Spain. And for pilgrims too. Last year (as I had the local SIM with data) on the Camino del Norte, instead of exchanging email addresses with other pilgrims, I was exchanging Facebook addresses with some of them instead ... on the trail no less. 'There are 2 Daniel xxxx in the search, which one is you?' ... 'Oh, let me see'... 'Ah, the second one'.... 'Done! Friend's request sent!'.

Imagine, separating from other pilgrims and then a surprise reunion is something special prior to this technology. Very soon (now for many) it will not be so. Just like text messages, any reunion can be coordinated down to the date, the place and the time. Good or bad, hard to say. Convenient, yes.

We recently completed Camino Frances, and our iPad mini was ideal for the purpose. We walked from SJPDP, using only available wifi until Pamplona where we purchased a Nano Sim from an Orange dealer. We paid 20€ for the SIM card and an upgrade to 1gb of data on a one month prepaid plan. It was perfect and worked brilliantly. We used wifi whenever possible, but were able to use 3G service almost everywhere, even talking to family back in Aust whilst walking- sharing our journey, and calling at a mutually convenient time.

Orange shop rep in Pamplona was very helpful, inserting the SIM card for me, checking that it was set up properly, showing me how to check my data usage, although I didn't bother doing that. Apparently you need a Spanish address to set up prepaid plan, my address was the Orange shop.

When the month was almost up, I wanted to recharge as we were staying in Spain for a few more weeks. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get help to do this in Santiago, and didn't manage it until we reached Madrid, once again with a very helpful Orange rep. 15€ to recharge with 1gb for up to one month. Perfect.

Like others, we
* downloaded photos from camera to the iPad using an SD card reader - just a small attachment
* used it to take some photos
* blogged using Blogsy - makes blogging easier, able to do it offline and upload anytime
* used Skype to talk to family and friends.
* used Skype credit to make phone calls to book a hotel - didn't take a phone with us

Best travel device for us!

Judy and Lex (Australia)

I am considering whether to bring my ipad this year, to be able to communicate with home more easily and hopefully keep a blog.

But I have a couple of questions for those of you with some experience and knowledge.

I remember reading somewhere that it's hard to make blog posts on an ipad and that a special "ap" is recommended. Can someone please explain this to me? I don't ever use aps, I just use the internet, is there a difference? And what about this special ap idea?

Will I be able to upload pictures from my camera to my blog on the ipad? Is this complicated?

Thanks, I'm sure there will be more of these. Laurie

We recently completed Camino Frances, and our iPad mini was ideal for the purpose. We walked from SJPDP, using only available wifi until Pamplona where we purchased a Nano Sim from an Orange dealer. We paid 20€ for the SIM card and an upgrade to 1gb of data on a one month prepaid plan. It was perfect and worked brilliantly. We used wifi whenever possible, but were able to use 3G service almost everywhere, even talking to family back in Aust whilst walking- sharing our journey, and calling at a mutually D

I did the same. Data and phone is cheap in Spain. 1 cent a minute makes reserving an alburge a snap on those crazy days!

Bringing along our Galaxy Note 3. Perfect size for phone and blogging. Have a small lightweight backpacking solar device which recharges the device in just 3 hours. Total weight under a lb.

I brought my iPad & my SLR on both of the Camino walks I did & it definitely added to the weight. On the other hand, I am not happy with photos from my iPhone, so I would have taken the camera with or without the iPad. I also wanted to blog (www.dustyscamino.blogspot.com) and (for me) making photographs & writing about the experience enhanced that same experience (although I know some people feel like it gets in the way). I plan to walk the Camino Portugues this spring/summer & will still bring my camera (just not happy with point & shoot), but I may either buy a iPad mini or use my phone to upload photos to FB & blog. Not sure. If I can get my backpack down in weight (going for 15 pounds this time), I will probably bring the mini. The question that you have to answer is what is going to make this walk the best experience for you.....no one else can really make comments about that -- it's up to you. Hope you have a great walk.

I wound up leaving my ipad at home this past Camino. More than the weight issue, I just didn't want to have to worry about it. I did buy an iphone though, so that I could Skype daily on wifi with my elderly parents. It was a godsend for me and them. I walked the Camino Levante from Valencia and found wifi virtually everywhere. Smallest place was a bar in a town of 40 inhabitants. No school, no grocery store, no farmacia, no commerce at all, but yes there was wifi.

I don't like to type on my iphone, so I still had to rely on libraries and casas de cultura for email and blog. It was not a problem at all. Public computers are still readily available in small towns, even though "Internet cafes" are disappearing from the scene.

As the tech world keeps changing, I'm sure these issues will continue to morph as well. Buen camino, Laurie

I was hoping to take my nook with me, but I'm afraid it will be too heavy. What device do you use to to bring ebooks?

thank you! I found there is also a Nook app on my Iphone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.