• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

iPad2 on the Camino (Frances)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Well, I never thought I'd ask this, but my dinosaur days are over and I'm looking for a good way to stay connected while on the Camino. I need to be able to access my bank account and email, as well as video chat with my family, since I"ll be gone 5 months. My son just sold me his iPad2 (he got the new one) and I'm seriously considering taking it along :::gasp::::

BUT.. my question is this.

Has anyone successfully used their iPad2 with wi-fi/3G along the Camino?

I've been searching forums and some say that this device is not supported by wi-fi (whatever that means) in Spain.

Others say you can purchase a pre-paid mini-SIM for Spain.

Still others say you should (SHOULD) be able to access internet at hotels if they offer free wi-fi.

Has anyone here actually USED their iPad along the Camino and can you offer any advice (bearing in mind I'm fairly electronic device illiterate).

Thanks, Pilgrims!
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
HI Annie,

First make sure you have the 3G/Wifi iPad and not just the Wifi iPad.

Wifi only iPad you are restricted to hotspots with free Wifi and that would mean some bars and public libraries, and the iPad is a tad too big to be carried to all these establishments.

3G with a local SIM card (prepaid) is the way to go, so you can communicate via email, books, web even text messages in the comfort of the albergue. Facetime still requires you to have Wifi connection so unless you are lucky that the albergue has free wifi. Use Skype.

For my camino in May, I will just be bringing the iPhone (planning to get local sim card) as it is only a month's walk for me. If you are away that long I guess the iPad would be a very good companion device without adding too much weight (just a little more bulk). Ask for the mini-SIM card.

And yes, Wifi and 3G is support in Spain.

Considering the poor mobile reception in many parts of Spain and the prices of SIM cards, I find a 3G connection would not be so useful.

Nowadays, WIFI is widely available in Spain, I am sure that you can connect yourself along the way even in bars, cafeterias, etc...

There are apps which include list of places where you can pick wifi hotspots for free; you can also ask the bar owners along the way if they would be so kind as to share their wifi for a while.

For example, there is an app for iPhone called "Spots" with a database containing more than 250.000 free hotspots all over the world. You can download the database onto your iPad, and it will tell you if you can find hotspots in a particular place.

in Android, there is a similar app called "Free Wi.Fi".

There might be other similar apps for HotSpots in Spain, I cannot tell, i do not have iTunes, maybe the person who recommended the iPad to you can give you some advice about that...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can anyone who has done the Camino Frances in the last year or two tell me if in their experience wifi is available some where at the end of most stages, or would it be better to get one of those plugin things (is it called a toggle or sth, I don't remember).
Also what about security in the albergues if you have electronic equipment with you. Have there been many thefts of things like netbooks cameras etc in the CF albergues in recent times?

I agree that wifi only would be much simpler and less expensive than 3G. We found wifi almost every day. The only places that did not have any were the very small villages, which sometimes also did not have a strong enough cell phone signal for 3G anyway. Boadilla del Camino I remember was one where we could not find wifi or 3G.

Many of the private albergues have wifi, as well as bars, libraries, and sometimes even the town square as in Pamplona.

Iago,

Those 'toggle' thingy you mentioned are USB dongle devices that plugs into notebook/netbook which connects you to the internet via 3G. If you slide this device (dongle) out you also find lo and behold... a SIM card inside!!!

The only difference is that for prepaid SIM card you can both voice minutes and internet. The SIM card in the dongle only allows internet traffic. You can also put the SIM card onto your phone and access the internet via the phone.

In May, I will spend the first day in Spain before my camino comparing the prices for these 2 options. I only need data as my phone calls will be via Skype (data) and my text messages via Whatspp (also data). I hope to get a better deal on the prepaid internet with this data only option (dump the dongle and only use the SIM card). Else there is still the option of getting a regular SIM card with voice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
By the way, as much as I would like to be connected while in the camino, it should not a distraction to the main purpose of the camino. if there is no signal or wifi, so be it. If there is, just 10-20 mins to catch up on mails and post to blog ... done!

The rest of the time I will do pilgrim stuff... like do the laundry, communicate with real physically present people, mediate (siesta), figure out where to eat tonight, etc.

Yes, Evanlow. If I were going alone, I would not even consider taking electronics.
But I'm taking a group of 15 walkers, and will need it to confirm hotel reservations, check bank account, etc.

Aside from the debate of whether or not to use ipad/phone kind of stuff; most of the stuff works just fine, at least on the Frances. Be sure to call your carrier before you go to check out their options for international data plans. The WiFi (weefee) is getting better all the time. 3G or its equivalent, as I remember on the Orange network works ok in around more populated places. Apps like Line 2 voip works good on wifi.

Consider a spain phone number on a separate, throw away type phone like a Bic (same company as the pens and lighters) or some other cheap online deal. Throways can be found in places like Pamplona or Logrono and so forth. They can be recharged pretty much anywhere say at like tobacco shops, el estanco. It's nice to have a spain number; incoming calls from the states are free, you can use your phone to call local numbers, easily, you can also call spain emergency numbers like 112 (verify before you go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number) Some sections of the Camino are posted with emergency numbers on way markers.

Main thing is don't worry too much. About anything.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Old Dad!

But no...
Throw away cell phones.
Imagine all these pilgrims with throw away phones which they will all throw away after their camino!!!

Good old mother earth did not deserve this!

Is this the so called "civilisation"?
Sorry but this is really too much!

Imagine all these pilgrims with throw away phones which they will all throw away after their camino!!!

Good old mother earth did not deserve this!

You are right, of course. It's kind of a figure of speech. Probably best to save it as a memento of your walk or give it to somebody else to use.
:mrgreen:

Or sell them on the "FOR SALE" section of this forum.

I know what I will do for a telephone.

I'm really hoping to hear from more people who actually used their iPAD on the Camino successfully without using the 3G. I do not want to pay for a data plan.

Thanks all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all

Whilst we are not starting our Camino until early April 2013 - another 55 weeks ( we have started to count down) at this point our intention is to take an IPad 2 with us.

The weight (almost 900 grams with the cover)is a concern.

It does allow for skype communications, emails, banking etc (when connected) - as mentioned by other contributors in previous posts.

However, it will also be our camera, reading library (in English) and also provide us with immeditate access to our saved maps, various other pearls of wisdom, albergue details and other items of interest I have been collecting in recent times from the forum and elsewhere - all this without a connection at all. And it can all be achieved with one charger which is very light in itself. Most of this could also be done on a smart phone as well but we think the Ipad is far more user friendly for older eyes.

Am hopng there might also be an Ipad app in english for the camino frances by the time we go but if not I will probably scan most of the hard copy guide book and save copies onto the ipad

So whilst it may be 900 g - it saves close to that weight by not needing to carry guidebook, camera, chargers etc. (and is very compact when packing)

So at this point I think we will be taking the Ipad 2

Buen Camino

Ian

Ah Annie, I see,

With a group of 15 and all the logistics, I guess that does warrant carrying an iPad.
Still you should get a Voice/data or Data only SIM card. You never know when your group arrive at a hostal in a small town no wifi available. That 3G would be a good backup.

For the others, here are some things to note when deciding whether to bring electronic equipments.

1. Only one device if possible.

Unless you are paying more to stay at a hostal or private albergue every day, you don't get many power points for charging at most municipal albergue. And there other pilgrims also wanting to charge their one device (usually it's their phone). You don't want to hog the power point. That is not cool. The alternative would be one or more of your device not charged before the next day's walk.

2. If you want to carry an iPad consider this.

You won't be able to carry a 9.7 inch display device while you are walking. Where are you going to hang it? It has to be secured properly if you do. Your one hand will be holding a walking stick, your other hand has to be free for balance (when going up or down a hill).

And it rains in Spain. Waterproofing your iPad? Easier to get a cheap zip lock bag for your phone.

Maps may be good but under a bright sunlight it is going to be hard to see on the screen.

It can get dusty and dirty on the camino. Electronic device gets worn down much faster on the road.

If you device breaks down your maps and guide are toast! Always have a backup (paper version). Optimum size are booklet type guides no bigger than your palm so it can be easily in and out of a fanny pack or the pouch in your pants.

So I guess an iPad would be mostly inside your backpack and used after walking, unless you can mitigate these conditions.

This is why I will still be carrying an iPhone only for my Camino Norte in May. And that would be my 2 1/2 year old iPhone 3GS and not my current spanking new iPhone 4S.

That said, my wife told me that during her last camino in autumn she saw a Korean pilgrim using a Samsung Galaxy Note while walking. A 5.5 inch phone/tablet hybrid is probably a better device as it is basically a phone with an enlarge screen that can still fit in a big fanny pack. And that goes perfectly with my first point, only having one device to charge daily. And while you may look strange talking on such a big device, I guess that's not really a problem on the Camino. I wear socks with sandals in the evening on the camino, something I wouldn't do at home! :)

A 9.7 inch iPad that you use only after walking, is it still justifiable?

It's your call.

Hey Ian, you are going about a month before I leave.
Would you mind coming back to this thread or even dropping me a personal note and letting me know how this works for you and if you're able to find enough wi-fi to make it feasible?

Thanks and Buen Camino!
Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anniesantiago said:
Has anyone successfully used their iPad2 with wi-fi/3G along the Camino?
I haven't, so I should not be writing here.
However, my experience could help.
For my ancient Nokia (must be a museum piece this day and age?!) I bought a rechargeable GSM card years ago in Spain (first Movistar, then Orange). The number remains functioning for 12 + 1 months: I returned to Spain within this range.
At the same time I have used an iPod4 Touch: small, light, has Skype and Camino Apps.
Good reception in most albergues, restaurants, bars and libraries.
I carry a plug adapter (US to EU), bought in Spain (electricity shop or ferreteria) at a minor cost, and always found enough opportunities to recharge the batteries of both gadgets.
Hope this helps.

Annie

I forget to mention it is an iPod as well
Carry all the music you like
I created a soundtrack on my Camino in 2009 before we left and now every song brings back memories. Starting each morning around 6 or7 with Mr Bojangles and now every time we play that song I get teary thinking of the fresh cool mornings starting out the long track ahead

Ian

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last Spring I celebrated turning 70 by walking Le Puy to Santiago and brought my iPad (first version) with me. I did not connect to 3G but simply used wifi wherever I found it, which was almost every day. I also used it as a book reader, as I could lie in bed at night and read a book after the lights went out in an albergue. It does add two pounds to your pack, but for me it was worth it.

I have found that the traditional Internet cafe is a thing of the past in Europe, the victim of smart phones and iPads. But I also found that so many bars have wifi these days that it's not a problem.

I am also taking my iPad with me in May of next year. I am planning to buy a microsim in Spain for my 3G. Whether I get good reception or not, it will still carry all my maps, books, music, research. There is a rumor that Apple might come up with a smaller iPad. Yes, I could also do it in my iPhone, but there is a world of difference between them. Eye comfort and a 10-hour battery goes a long way.

Hi,
I just got back from the Camino and I used my IPad almost everyday to blog, to send e-mails, and to check my bank account. I carried it with me many times as I trained with my backpack so the weight I quickly got use to.
I turned off the 3G on the IPad to keep cost down and only used the WIFI feature which was available in most towns. While I mostly stay in hostals(small hotels), where WIFI is common, and not alberques(where most pilgrims stay), WIFI seemed to be also available in at many local bars. Locals bars are also places that serve food.
Occasionally there would be a town with no WIFI but that was infrequent. All the hostal's had WIFI that required a password, but not all bars did. Having used my IPad quite a bit, computer security didn't seem to be an issue. Also the IPad is not uncommon on the camino. I think pilgrims are, in many cases, carrying whatever is new in technology. Hope this helps.
Ray

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Annie,

I didn't take an iPad with me along the Frances last summer, but met many friends who did. They all got along with it just fine, most of them with wifi only (no 3G). I did further research as I would like to take an iPad on my Camino this summer and once again, I learned that wifi connection would work in many places. If you're at a bar, you might get a drink while you're there, but otherwise, many places will have good connection.

In terms of staying connected vs. taking in the experience and just "being", that was my reason for not taking anything electronic last year (no phone, no music, no iPad, etc.) I was debating and decided to take an iPad this year to be able to blog more easily along the way, but I made a promise to myself to use technology when relevant rather than to let technology use me ;) I trust that while you're walking, the iPad and being connected won't get in the way and you'll find a good balance. 5 months sounds like a great time! :)

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Please can all of you who take an iPad. It takes a while to recharge , what are you or have done regarding this. How did the 3G work and as I have scanned in everything to this and we are travelling for longer than the Camino guide books are necessary and so will take this. Charging up is my main worry. Please can you help!

Out of Hong Kong with free postage I got a waterproof iPad bag and headphones, works brilliantly, has a strap and was very cheap.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sienna Moon said:
Please can all of you who take an iPad. It takes a while to recharge , what are you or have done regarding this. How did the 3G work and as I have scanned in everything to this and we are travelling for longer than the Camino guide books are necessary and so will take this. Charging up is my main worry. Please can you help!

I don't use I products but I am going with my tablet and it charges fine overnight. Anything you might need immediate access to I wouldn't keep on the cloud as you might not have access. No idea about 3g but talk to your provider about roaming. My friend was told he would have no roaming fees and 3 days into the Camino he got an email stating he'd accrued $25 in roaming fees so far. Best bet is turn off data and use WiFi.

Hi Annie

I took an iPad2 with me when my wife and I walked from Le Puy to Lourdes this past May and June. I wondered after using it why I took so long to make the switch to a tablet. As many have pointed out both on the Camino Frances in Spain and on the Chemin d Puy in France, internet cafes have almost disappeared. There are numerous coffee shops and gites and albergues that offer free wifi.

Along with having the ability to connect to the internet to access email, we used the iPad for skype and Facetime calls, stored, sorted and edited approximately 2,000 images uploaded from three different cameras and my wife iPod Touch, used it to upload a select number of images to FB and other photos sites, carried Alison Raju ebook guidebook etc. I used Notes to make notes along the way and I used a combination of Dropbox and iCloud to back everything up in case the worst happened.

I can only see more and more people using either tablets or smart phones as an alternative to taking old fashion paperback guidebooks. The days of paperback guides are coming to an end.

Evan Low did make a good observation that throughout the day, an smart phone or the hybrid Samsung phone/tablet is probably a better device to use. I would suggest getting an unlocked device and inserting a SIM card if you really want or need 3G/4G access otherwise I think for most wifi access at different times of the day should do.

Leave the pad at home. Too big. We borrowed our daughter's iPod touch and it was perfect. We only used the internet when it was free so we only logged on every two or three days. The less connected the better!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Myself, I'm looking at taking an itouch. I figure that it is small but versatile. I can get online when I need to to send emails, even to skype, plus it is a camera and ipod. Don't plan on spending a lot of time online when I have this exciting adventure ahead of me.

CaminoKris2013

I recently picked up a Nexus 7 tablet. It's very light and thin, but still big enough to read with no problems. Typing isn't that bad either, although I still might pick up a keyboard, I haven't decided yet. The battery life seams very good. My only complains? No card reader and I'm going to have to take this one back because of a burned out pixel. I can overcome the no card reader by rooting it and using a OTB cable. (Yes, it voids the warranty, but rooting android devices is very safe.) And the one pixel that's burned out isn't really that much of a bother, so had I rooted it and been unable to return it, I could live with it.

Judging by the experience of others, it's not that hard to come by wifi. I recently watched a video series of someone who uploaded video diaries along the Camino. I think he had problems finding wifi just a handful of times.

Sienna Moon said:

Sienna, I'm planning on doing the Camino next year (June/July) and will be bringing my iPad 3 with me. I bought a solar panel battery pack that attaches to my backpack and stores enough power to charge my iPad twice via a USB cable running to the iPad in my pack. The best part about it is that the iPad will be in a constant fully-charged state for my full Camino journey.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Canadiandude,

I hope it a big solar panel. Only those work. The palm size type will take a whole day and barely charges an iPhone, let alone an iPad.

I've seen a pilgrim carried one this year (looks like a giant satellite panel). It's green but looks a little out of place as it covered most of the backpack. That space is better off drying you socks (in case it didn't get dry overnight).

You're better off with charging it in the albergue.

A smartphone will still be better, whether it is to check if there is wifi around, plus it is always with you. I don't think many will want to lug an iPad for dinner, or feel safe enough to leave it in the albergue while you have you dinner.

evanlow said:
Hi Canadiandude,

I hope it a big solar panel. Only those work. The palm size type will take a whole day and barely charges an iPhone, let alone an iPad.

I've seen a pilgrim carried one this year (looks like a giant satellite panel). It's green but looks a little out of place as it covered most of the backpack. That space is better off drying you socks (in case it didn't get dry overnight).

You're better off with charging it in the albergue.

A smartphone will still be better, whether it is to check if there is wifi around, plus it is always with you. I don't think many will want to lug an iPad for dinner, or feel safe enough to leave it in the albergue while you have you dinner.

Hi Evanlow,

Very good points however, my particular panel is very fast charging and capable of charging an iPhone, iPad and other gadgets (not that I'll be carrying that much). It's not that large and meant mostly to be piece of mind for my OCD wife lol. We do intend to use the albergue's power whenever possible.

jeffnd said:
I recently picked up a Nexus 7 tablet. It's very light and thin, but still big enough to read with no problems. Typing isn't that bad either, although I still might pick up a keyboard, I haven't decided yet. The battery life seams very good. My only complains? No card reader and I'm going to have to take this one back because of a burned out pixel. I can overcome the no card reader by rooting it and using a OTB cable. (Yes, it voids the warranty, but rooting android devices is very safe.) And the one pixel that's burned out isn't really that much of a bother, so had I rooted it and been unable to return it, I could live with it.

Judging by the experience of others, it's not that hard to come by wifi. I recently watched a video series of someone who uploaded video diaries along the Camino. I think he had problems finding wifi just a handful of times.

You don't have to root your n7 to use USB otg unless you want to write to the memory card. Mine isn't rooted and it works great with my USB otg.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you and I am interested in the solar panel for the iPad, we are travelling for 5 months and this could be fantastic. Is there a particular brand anyone would recommend as the iPad will have a lot of scanned books, travel guides etc and it would be great to be able to keep it charged rather than hogging power points that other pilgrims need. Thank you again it has been fabulous. :lol:

I ended up using my iPhone and it worked great.
There was plenty of free wi-fi along the Way, but granted we stayed in private lodging.
An iPad would have been Waaaay too heavy for my tastes.

I took my Ipad along this past spring and used it as a journal, guidebook, place to download pics to free up my memory card, and a source for reading books. Having said that, I would probably never take it again, because of the weight and it is somewhat awkward to pack. Finally, it is one more item you have to haul around at night when away from your pack. Not a make or break item, so go with whatever you feel is personally right for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had both my new iPad and an unlocked iPhone 4S with me. I used the iPad to store images and also for watching an occasional movie when I was feeling really homesick. I also blogged from it, but I also did that from the iPhone, which had a UK sim card in it and reasonable data prices. If I did it again, I might leave the iPad at home, but then again I might not. It was useful some times, even though I relied on WiFi to connect it to the Internet.

I also realize I probably had more weight than many people might be comfortable with. With water my pack was around 11 or 12 kilograms. However, the only time I really felt the weight was on the first couple of days. After that I really found the sweet spot for how to adjust it and it wasn't a problem.

I have done a lot of research into the solar panels and yes they are heavy. I have a friend in China who has researched them and to keep an iPhone iPad charged the 16 watt is suitable and heavy. Lifetrons make a brilliant product which is good for charging and I used it in Europe last year when needed. I have all my guide books scanned in to my iPad as we are travelling for a long time after the Camino.

PeconicBill said:
Last Spring I celebrated turning 70 by walking Le Puy to Santiago and brought my iPad (first version) with me. I did not connect to 3G but simply used wifi wherever I found it, which was almost every day. I also used it as a book reader, as I could lie in bed at night and read a book after the lights went out in an albergue. It does add two pounds to your pack, but for me it was worth it.

I have found that the traditional Internet cafe is a thing of the past in Europe, the victim of smart phones and iPads. But I also found that so many bars have wifi these days that it's not a problem.
He y Peconic Bill did you have trouble charging it as it does take some time? How was your trip? I got a waterproof case out of Hong Kong with strap and earphones its great $9.95 free delivery to Australia and works well. Alibaba a or Alixexpress are great web sights for camping gear also.
Thanks for your blog

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
I took an IPad 2 on the camino in April of this year(2012), and it was perfect. I used it to blog and to do email, but also to check my bank account and find info when needed. The weight issue honestly was not a factor. I trained with it, and the chargers, in my backpack before I left, and as the camino progressed I got stronger anyway. The key is to train and pack properly.

I packed it in 2 double 1 gallon Hefty ziplock bags and stored it lengthwise at the back portion of my backpack with small bags of silica gel inside the ziplock bag. Just may sure your backpack is well covered in the rain. Mine seemed to be, so things never got wet, and it rained for the first 10 days or so and then rained often along most of the camino.

I didn't stay in albergue but rather in small hotels along the way and most of these place had Wifi. Even if you stay at an albergue most bars and cafes have Wifi. Wifi is not difficult to fine along the camino, although you may not have it everyday.

My IPad does not have the G3 capabilities, but that didn't create much of a problem for me as I was able to fine Wifi along the way.

From what I have been able to tell, the technology along the camino changes as the technology in the world changes. It's okay to carry along technology on the camino. No one seemed to mind when I walked. Most people had some form anyway.

The camino requires a lot of time to walk and the truth is most of us need to have some sort of contact with home, at least once in a while. The IPad allow me to do this, and it wasn't a burden. So take you IPad and enjoy it, but first enjoy the Camino.

Ray

Well done Apple for bringing out the ipad Mini this week in time for my camino start in Spring. Was hesitating about taking ipad 2 because of size and weight, but now will have to splash out on the new small one. Nothing wrong in having two ipads in the house, then I can facetime husband in the kitchen to hurry up with my morning tea!

I too have been considering taking iPad on my Camino. Main reason is to journal and remind myself of experiences long after i have returned. Also considering a doctoral thesis based on the spiritual experience of the Camino.
Very excited about iPad mini. When anyone uses one, please check in with this forum.
Blessings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

Yes I took the iPad and it proved to be quite useful. It gave a chance to write my blog along the way and keep in contact with family and friends. However I always mad sure the rest places I was staying in had wifi. Using it along the way might prove difficult to connect but useful to write notes and stuff.

ediazblog.wordpress.com

canadiandude said:
Sienna, I'm planning on doing the Camino next year (June/July) and will be bringing my iPad 3 with me. I bought a solar panel battery pack that attaches to my backpack and stores enough power to charge my iPad twice via a USB cable running to the iPad in my pack. The best part about it is that the iPad will be in a constant fully-charged state for my full Camino journey.

Hi Canadiandude,

We walked the Camino in October 2012 and had planned to take the iPad from the start, so purchased a solar panel battery pack with that in mind. Note that many advertisements for such solar packs claim to be able to charge an iPad, but to charge it in a reasonable amount of time, you need a USB port with 2.1 Amps just like the charger that came with your iPad. Only one panel/battery combo I found was able to deliver that. Yes, you can charge off a 1 Amp USB port but it will take more than twice as long to charge.

After weighing everything, I ended up leaving the solar panel behind and just took the battery. I charged the battery at night by way of a normal USB convertor and then ran cables from it to my devices (including camera, Touch, iPhone, etc) during the day from my pack as required. This was a great help for those times when it was only possible to use a single or double outlet at the albergues. At Corte Ingles in Pamplona, I purchased a 3-way splitter to deal with places that provided only a single outlet, so the problems were somewhat alleviated, although the battery still came in handy on days when I hadn't been able to charge the night before. However, losing the panel saved 515 grams (18.2 oz).

Chris

As I indicated earlier I took an iPad 2 with my last Spring while walking in France. It proved to be an ideal device to allow my wife and I to take notes, make skype calls, transfer and store photos from our digital cameras and upload them to a separate back up system, and update our my blog and Facebook page - there were few stand alone internet access points/terminals along the way where this would have been possible.

Furthermore I took an kindle version of the Alison's guidebook plus a number of additional documents and jpegs maps to supplement our an electronic guidebook. Within the electronic guidebook I book marked selected pages, and added my own notes where applicable.

We did take an old French paperback guidebook but this proved partial useful and I found myself mostly checking the electronic version on my iPad if required

I never found taking the iPad interfered with my camino experience since most of time I was walking and doing all those regular things we do while doing the camino.

This year I thinking of taking an iPad mini especially it does everything that the iPad 2 does already and takes better photos and videos, but it only weighs .68 pounds which to my surprise is about the same weight of John Brierley's guidebook (.66 pounds).

As for rain, etc given the small size of the iPad mini I will probably bring a simply waterproof cover (much like I did for my iPad 2 while in France), something I use to do for my paperback guidebooks too. It is small enough that I can leave it in the top pocket of my pack or even carry it in my jacket if need be.

Hi,
I took my iPad3 with 3G on my Camino Portugues last year. I bought micro sim card in Portugal (5€) and 10 hours using (10€). It was enough for Portugal part. In Spain I bought spanish Sim card and 1 giga using (25€). For me iPad was very useful, because I wrote blog every evening, sometimes in bad, when other pilgrims were sleeping: http://www.hodiuzivaj.blogspot.com.
It was my 3. camino. It was much better writing daily experience on iPad than on paper which I did before on camino frances and via podiensis. Next time I'll bring IPad too, maybe iPad mini, if I'll bay.
Bon camino,
Danica

I am walking from Roncesvalles starting 4th Sept, as with everyone else the research is never ending. I thought I would use the back pack solar panel as recommended by a relative who does a lot of hiking trips and this one is tried and true, as mentioned by someone else it will charge your iPhone & iPad as you walk and I would prefer to have the spare space to dry socks etc if needed. However I have since found that Apple make what they call Juice, it is a little thicker than an iPhone 5 and the one with the largest capacity can recharge an iPhone & iPad twice when you are walking, when you do recharge you can connect all 3 and they can all recharge together and it is about $30aus cheaper to buy than the solar panel set up, the other benefit for me is that it is something I can use after the Camino. I do use an E Book but am not taking it as I am sure I will be too tired or have too much to do to read, though I am an avid reader. I am taking my iPad but I have the new mini iPad is is sooooo much lighter than the normal and I am already adding all my information to it on "Notes" I also have Card reader for downloading my photos to my iPad and it is tiny as you would expect. I plan to piggyback my iPad with my iPhone to use the internet, I have been using it in places allready that don't have any free Wifi and it works well with my phone. I plan to get a card in Barcelona and top up along the way. Now the best laid plans of mice and men can go wrong but I am hoping that everything works as it should and I will be fine. What will be will be I will cope with whatever happens.............I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.