• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

iPhiGéNie mapping app

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy route 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022, 2023 +
Help required! Just wondering if any fellow pilgrims, especially those on the GR65, have used the iPhiGeNie mapping app ... it is an excellent app, but i am struggling to use it effectively and the user manual is difficult to follow ... I would love to hear from and correspond with anyone who has figured out how to navigate it, in particular how to calculate distances between marked waypoints.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes @BlackRocker57 , we have used iPhiGeNie extensively walking in France - on the GR65, often wandering off camino, and making our own way through the Loire Valley from Orlean and south from Tours, and walking an on/off route from Arles. I also struggled with the user manual. It would be great if there was one written in English and available offline - I know there is a sort of a one but it seems to be a google translate job and I have trouble finding my way through it.

That said, the app itself in the field I find invaluable. I do spend a lot of time downloading tiles into the cashe, so that I have all the scales and can zoom in and out with ease. It is probably taking up a heap of storage space on my phone! But wonderful that you can see instantly where you are, and all the roads, tracks, even buildings around - and all the GRs.

I have to say that in calculating distances we tend to use a very rough and ready measure - zooming in and working it out by using the scale tool. I, like you, have never mastered the waypoint tools.

Yes @BlackRocker57 , we have used iPhiGeNie extensively walking in France - on the GR65, often wandering off camino, and making our own way through the Loire Valley from Orlean and south from Tours, and walking an on/off route from Arles. I also struggled with the user manual. It would be great if there was one written in English and available offline - I know there is a sort of a one but it seems to be a google translate job and I have trouble finding my way through it.

That said, the app itself in the field I find invaluable. I do spend a lot of time downloading tiles into the cashe, so that I have all the scales and can zoom in and out with ease. It is probably taking up a heap of storage space on my phone! But wonderful that you can see instantly where you are, and all the roads, tracks, even buildings around - and all the GRs.

I have to say that in calculating distances we tend to use a very rough and ready measure - zooming in and working it out by using the scale tool. I, like you, have never mastered the waypoint tools.

Hallo Kanga, many thanks for this ... I was thrilled to get your reply and to know that you are a keen user of this fab app! It seems that we have both had similar experiences with the manual ... it is almost certainly a google-translate job, and an unedited one at that, making it almost impossible to follow :)

i am not so fussed about calculating distances between waypoints, but it would be ‘nice to know’ ...

what i would really like to know [and perhaps you can help me with this one] is how to download tiles to the cache so that you/i can pinpoint exactly where you are/I am on the chemin; how to do this in logical sequence for the length of the chemin [from, say, Moissac to StJPP] and ...

better still, and perhaps most importantly, how to download plans or tiles for each stage [if this is possible?] ... for example, is it possible to download and access from the cache a plan for the stage from Moissac to Auvillar ... if you can walk or talk me through this i would be very grateful ... and happy to do this offline, by email or phone [as i see you are not so far away from me] if you are agreeable and that suits ... in the meantime, merci beaucoup pour votre aide et a bientôt :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.