• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

iPhone cord and plug

Carolyn G

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
May 2019
(Future - CP September 2020)
Does anyone know if we can just buy Spanish phone cords and plugs to use with our IPhones ? Would sure be easier to recharge along The Way without a converter !
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m hoping to just buy the Spanish plug so as not to have to carry an adapter. Will that work with my american phone?
Yes. You can use the charging cord that you have, though I recommend a 10 ft long cord in order to reach an outlet from your bunk. You can look on Amazon for a European plug charger. The chargers are made to work on all different voltages. You can also just use a plug adapter with your current charger, but duct tape them together. It's too easy to leave the adapter in the outlet.
Here's a European plug USB charger on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ2G3FF/?tag=casaivar02-20

Thanks trecile, I am going to buy myelf one of those chargers. I actually had trouble finding one in Spain, but I must have been looking in the wrong places. Having left many adapters plugged into the wall, I have since used duct tape to connect my adapter to my charger. But this is much more simple!

One place in Spain that I would NOT recommend buying anything remotely related to electronics is in the "tiendas de chinos," which are located all over the camino. I have seen too many people who regretted having done that. I understand that even if the items have the international sign of compliance with certain electrical standards (it's a mark that looks like C € if I am not mistaken), the labels are frequently fabricated. I may have my details all wrong, but my bottom line is to avoid these establishments when you are buying anything electronic. For things like cheap sunglasses, pillow cases, and other things that pilgrims always lose, they are great!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m hoping to just buy the Spanish plug so as not to have to carry an adapter. Will that work with my american phone?

iPhone's have a USB charging cable which plugs into a wall charger. That charger then plugs into the wall socket.

In the US, the prongs of the charger are the spade type. The EU socket version of the Apple charger uses two rounded prongs. The voltage doesn't matter to the iPhone, as the original Apple wall charger down converts the wall socket voltage into the appropriate voltage for the USB charging cable to send to the iPhone.

So you do need a new charger for your iPhone's USB charging cable that will fit the EU socket rather than the original one for American wall sockets. You do NOT need an EU Apple original charger, as you can use any third party product which is capable of doing the job.

If you are worried about an EU charger for your iPhone being a lot heavier or bigger, keep in mind we are talking about a 'charger', NOT a voltage 'converter' which are bigger and heavier.

A charger like this one weighs about the same as the Apple charger which originally came with your iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually had trouble finding one in Spain, but I must have been looking in the wrong places.
But @peregrina2000, you just say "Find Apple shop" to your iPhone and you will know immediately where to look. I bought an Apple iPhone charger in El Cortes Ingles in Leon.

And yes, I know that there are other reliable companies who make chargers for iPhones and other phones, and I agree with you, please, please, don't buy no-name chargers in shops selling cheap import electronica.

But @peregrina2000, you just say "Find Apple shop" to your iPhone and you will know immediately where to look. I bought an Apple iPhone charger in El Cortes Ingles in Leon.

And yes, I know that there are other reliable companies who make chargers for iPhones and other phones, and I agree with you, please, please, don't buy no-name chargers in shops selling cheap import electronica.
I have no problem talking to myself, as I frequently sort out many important life issues while blabbing away on the camino, but I just cannot bring myself to talk to my phone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought one of these off eBay and will just insert the European adaptor as it will work in Portugal and Spain. Having 4 usb’s will be handy to share the power outlet as well.

We also purchased some excellent Ankar 10 foot cables. Very robust.

Good luck

Last edited:
Ps, sorry about the two images! Can’t work how to only delete one......

Oh, Frank, I am so sorry. I tried to help by deleting one of the images and wound up deleting both of them. And now I can’t re-post it. Is there any way you could post it again? So very sorry! Laurie

No worries Laurie- thanks for having a go! Fixed.

Last edited:
The charger just above looks rather neat but I reminds me of a problem with some chargers; when plugged into a wall outlet or power strip they can be too large and prevent the other sockets from being used. Bringing a (very short) extension cord could be handy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Yes, for about €25 you can buy a Euro spec Apple charger. It is about the size of a Zippo cigarette lighter, is flat (not cube shaped), and has two ROUND pins to fit all EU sockets. I carry one with a charging cable from home, in a cargo pocket of my hiking pants. So, it is ALWAYS with me.

You can find them in most any mobile phone 'cell phone store, smartphone gadget shops, the electronics department of a department store like el Corte Ingles, or an Apple store if you come across one.

As this charger has a standard USB 2.0 / 3.0 socket it can be used with any smartphone. NO special cord is needed, other than that you normally use from a typical USB socket.

While you are at it, stop into a China shop / China Bazar / Asian Bazar, etc. and buy an inexpensive 'cube tap.' This is a plug that fits EU sockets and has three outlets. It will help you share one outlet in an albergue or restaurant lacking enough power outlets. It is a good way to make friends too.

Hope this helps.

€46,-
Does anyone know if we can just buy Spanish phone cords and plugs to use with our IPhones ? Would sure be easier to recharge along The Way without a converter !
Thanks
No problems. I have a Spanish charger for my android device so no need to carry adapters. Phone shops are as easy to find in Spain as anywhere else

So you do need a new charger for your iPhone's USB charging cable that will fit the EU socket rather than the original one for American wall sockets. You do NOT need an EU Apple original charger, as you can use any third party product which is capable of doing the job.

I believe this in incorrect. You do NOT need a new charger for your iphone. As stated above, your American charger and cord will work in Europe just fine as long as you have a little adapter that changes the plug from flat posts to round posts. Often $2-3 at Walmart or travel shops and the like. Just remember to pull out both the adapter and charger! I usually put a bright dot of nail polish on my adapters so that it doesn't blend into the outlet plate and I see it when removing my device.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The charger just above looks rather neat but I reminds me of a problem with some chargers; when plugged into a wall outlet or power strip they can be too large and prevent the other sockets from being used. Bringing a (very short) extension cord could be handy.

Mine is like this, so it shouldn’t block the other sockets but provides two oppurtinities for charging. Costs: €10.

Attachments

• CBFFCB94-6044-4340-BD94-A5914C400043.png
    CBFFCB94-6044-4340-BD94-A5914C400043.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 14
  • B39045FC-ECBC-4A13-B492-D8A3E01D4612.png
    B39045FC-ECBC-4A13-B492-D8A3E01D4612.png
    168.4 KB · Views: 15
Word of advice: Most of the wall plates at various accommodations, including your house probably, are white. To avoid leaving any iPhone charger behind, I’ve put a band of RED duct tape on the outlet charger for that last scan around the room. White on white provides no contrast.
I also have WHITE tape on the black Otter cover for my iPad to find it in the dark. If you see a suitcase or backpack with multi-colored tape on the handle circling the airport luggage retrieval facility, that’s me. I did give up my mitten clips.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@trecile is right on with everything but spend just a bit more to get extra ports. Not every albergue has enough electric outlets for everyone's charger. You can share your charger with someone else.
You're right. The one that I have has 3 USB ports. I think that I searched on Amazon for "multi USB euro plug wall charger"

I believe this in incorrect. You do NOT need a new charger for your iphone. As stated above, your American charger and cord will work in Europe just fine as long as you have a little adapter that changes the plug from flat posts to round posts. Often $2-3 at Walmart or travel shops and the like. Just remember to pull out both the adapter and charger! I usually put a bright dot of nail polish on my adapters so that it doesn't blend into the outlet plate and I see it when removing my device.

I had been (incorrectly) under the impression that the charger itself is voltage specific. A charger that is designed for 120 volt will fry if you plug it into a 220 v outlet with such an adapter. That the charger itself is not multi-voltage. While this is true for some electronics gear, it is becoming far less of an issue. And it is not an issue for Apple chargers.

I was wrong on this and you are absolutely right on the money. :D Thank you for correcting me on this. You can use the Apple US charger with a EU round pin adapter from Apple, or a third party. So this will work as an option.

This is why I would still use the charger option I posted, though.

1. The footprint and weight of the original charger PLUS the Apple EU adapter is a bit more than the aftermarket option. So there is no benefit to me in this area.

2. The aftermarket option gives an additional USB charging port so that two phones, or a phone + another piece of gear can be charged at the same time.

3. If there is a cost increase to buy the multi-port charger over the adapter, it seems to be pretty negligible; especially when one gains the extra charging port.

Thanks for taking the time to get the correct information to the Forum.

@davebugg I have one of these, but the downside for me was the green led light. I have a similar one without the nightlight that I use.:D:cool:

I hear ya... I ended up spray painting the entire plastic housing with a fluorescent green paint. It covered up the annoying light, but still catches your attention to help reduce the risk of leaving it behind :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the EU they were getting tired of the discarding of proprietary chargers on phones and laptops and came up with universal chargers. These were to take input from any two-pronged/pinned, ungrounded/unearthed, non-polarized input with any common voltage and frequency used in the world and have a USB output. They let Apple phones sneak into the phones meeting the spec because a simple adaptor allowed the connection of a USB charging cable to the iPhone. Generally though the iPhone cable just has the end needed for a direct connection.

So manufactures just need to make the same electronics with a different pin arrangement to plug into different kinds of sockets. And other manufacturers could make adapters to connect incompatible plugs and sockets.

Last edited:
I agree! I don't know why they insist on putting those lights in chargers. In an albergue it will be like a flood light at night! 🤯
My lock screen has a red background with emergency contact info like you previously suggested in a post. It was a brilliant idea, but not so bright that it spoils my night vision or anyone else's sleep.:D:cool:

€46,-
My lock screen has a red background with emergency contact info like you previously suggested in a post. It was a brilliant idea, but not so bright that it spoils my night vision or anyone else's sleep.:D:cool:
And I've done that too with my phone after reading @trecile's suggestion some time ago. It is my go-to go to the bathroom guide at night.

A charger like this one weighs about the same as the Apple charger which originally came with your iPhone.

View attachment 53256
The charger shown above in @davebugg's post is the type used in Spain, Portugal, and most of continental Europe. Note the two round pins. There are other plug configuration used in some European countries; i.e. the UK, that won't work in Spain. Here's reference which shows the plug configurations for most of the world's countries: http://www.internationalconfig.com/wwpts/index.asp

Last edited:
The charger shown above in @davebugg's post is the type used in Spain, Portugal, and most of continental Europe. Note the two round pins. There are other plug configuration used in some European countries; i.e. the UK, that won't work in Spain. Here's reference which shows the pug configurations for most of the world's countries: http://www.internationalconfig.com/wwpts/index.asp
Some of the European countries have slightly different configurations. For example, Austria has type F and Italy type L. While the sockets were developed to take plugs of the same type they also take the type C plugs like Dave's post showed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks
Go to Google Maps and type "Apple Store in (name of city)" in the search box if you want a real Apple charger for whatever country you're in. For example, in Pamplona, there is an Apple store just a couple of blocks from the bus station and maybe 4 blocks or so from the main Plaza del Castillo.

This is correct. Most all chargers that come with smartphones allow for worldwide use.

Get a magnifying glass and read the fine print on the charger. If it says “Input 110-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz,” all you need is a plug converter so you can plug this charger into the euro outlets requiring two ROUND PINS.

However the OP asked specifically about buying a Euro spec charger for an iPhone. THAT is the context for my reply.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

If I read you correctly you want a Spanish plug that will take your USB? If this is correct just go into any electrical or phone shop and they will be able to help. I was having problems with my charger - too many connections. The plug that took my USB lead worked a treat!! Good luck. Cheers

I just ordered one of these, at a rediculously low price plot USD 14.19. It was simply too inexpensive to pass up on.

I am concerned about the weight. So, it may be too heavy for Camino use, it is perfect for stationary use when I am working at Santiago as a volunteer.

Thanks for the lead.
It shouldn't be a problem concerning weight.
I have been carrying one in my backpack for the last 5 years without undue effect.
Enjoy!

Ounces and grams quickly become pounds and kilograms in my experience. Every tiny bit counts. After six Caminos, and planning on my seventh, I STILL cannot get my rucksack under 12 kilos while on Camino.

I even tried to force myself to pack lighter or less by replacing my 48 liter Osprey Kestrel with a 38 liter Osprey Kestrel last year... Nope!

When I walked into Santiago last year, I went to the Pilgrim House. They had a luggage scale. My rucksack, at the END of my Camino Invierno, without water, still weighed 11 kilos.

I have purchased no souvenirs and carried nothing than was not with me at the beginning. My special protein powder supplements were consumed, per plan. That reduced my carry weight by about 1 kilo. I just carry too much, I guess... Gotta revisit this 'belt and suspenders' approach...

This year, I am going to force myself to shave every gram. For me, it is a never ending game... I enjoy the chase...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes. You can use the charging cord that you have, though I recommend a 10 ft long cord in order to reach an outlet from your bunk. You can look on Amazon for a European plug charger. The chargers are made to work on all different voltages. You can also just use a plug adapter with your current charger, but duct tape them together. It's too easy to leave the adapter in the outlet.
Here's a European plug USB charger on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ2G3FF/?tag=casaivar02-20
I highly recommend Anker’s 10-ft Lightning cable. It is well made and a reasonable price. A 10-ft cable will enable you to reach those distant outlets that you’re likely to run into.

Duct tape is your friend - just tape over the LED.
I have tried that. Unfortunately, they often install the LED lights inside the USB ports. If you have a dual USB and only use one it can be quite bright, abd light also leaks out of the USB slot that you have plugged your cord into.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have tried that. Unfortunately, they often install the LED lights inside the USB ports. If you have a dual USB and only use one it can be quite bright, abd light also leaks out of the USB slot that you have plugged your cord into.
Ah, another case where a short extension cord can be useful. You could then put the charger into your shoe.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I highly recommend Anker’s 10-ft Lightning cable. It is well made and a reasonable price. A 10-ft cable will enable you to reach those distant outlets that you’re likely to run into.
Thanks for the heads up Tom. I bought three last weekend at half price via the Australian site. Excellent quality!

I know it's a little off topic but also worth considering buying one of these small battery banks. I've heard too many stories of people's phones growing legs and walking away while they were left charging... This bank cost $15 and carries 2.5 charges of my iPhone. You still need the adapter above to charge the bank but if it goes missing you won't be out >$1,000 worth of iPhone!

battery.JPG

I know it's a little off topic but also worth considering buying one of these small battery banks. I've heard too many stories of people's phones growing legs and walking away while they were left charging... This bank cost $15 and carries 2.5 charges of my iPhone. You still need the adapter above to charge the bank but if it goes missing you won't be out >$1,000 worth of iPhone!

View attachment 53569

Yeah, they do work rather well. I prefer Anker branded models. I used a 14,000 mAh unit for powering my GoPro for a straight 10 hours while I was recording the step-by-step video from SJPdP to Roncesvalles., which John Sikora edited and added to his Camino Frances series. I sent it home, along with the GoPro, after Roncesvalles to get back to my normal 9.5 pound pack weight. :)

The small Anker Power 5000 (5000 mAh) model weighs less than 5 ounces, and will definitely give you two full charges and this model will charge very fast, as well as charge your iPhone fairly quickly. I use it when traveling or on road trips, although I have not taken it on Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks
You do not need a converter for an iPhone.
You simply need an adapter plug.
You can pick them up in Rick Steves' online store for $1 or any pilgrim store along the Camino.
China Stores carry them too.
So do all travel stores.

Attachments

• 10154737.jpeg
    10154737.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1
China Stores carry them too.
On the advice of many Spanish friends, I always issue a warning that it is a bad idea to buy anything electronic at a China store (tienda de chinos). There are lots of fakes.

Another thing to consider, especially if you plan to come to Spain on more than one occasion, is to just buy a Spanish charger. Then you don’t have to worry about attaching an adapter plug to your US charger.

On the advice of many Spanish friends, I always issue a warning that it is a bad idea to buy anything electronic at a China store (tienda de chinos). There are lots of fakes.

Another thing to consider, especially if you plan to come to Spain on more than one occasion, is to just buy a Spanish charger. Then you don’t have to worry about attaching an adapter plug to your US charger.
In all these years I've never had an issue with a simple plug adapter. But if you're afraid, try the Rick Steves store. $1

€46,-

They will also sell you an almost-genuine fire-extinguisher for another €10.

A genuine CE-marked European two-round-pin USB adapter costs virtually nothing worldwide on t’internet. Really no point in waiting to find a China-store knock-off to save pennies.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks
You could quite probably buy a charger with an EU plug (two round prongs) at the airport before you go. If not, then Corte Inglés, the big Spanish department store, or any hardware/electronics store will have them. Two or three outlets (USB ports) is an excellent idea. Don't buy them from a bargain store unless you enjoy the aroma of heating plastic. The iphone chord will be the same, but if you can get hold of a long one, do so.

As @trecile wrote, no electronics involved. Essentially each rectangular hole has a wire connected to a circular pin.
You are (of course) both correct.

Here in the UK we use a three-pin plug of relatively huge size and solid construction. American friends of mine say they would only be used to connect two power-stations together in the States. Perhaps that gives us a heightened sensitivity to relatively lightweight electrical components?

I have had a China-shop-bought adapter literally fall to pieces on me. I am ordinarily as tight* as two coats of paint but you pay your money and take your choice, I suppose.

*(as in stingy, reluctant to spend money; not inebriated or habitually drunk. Oh, hold on …)

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this thread has glanced at a few issues but not concisely addressed, for some, a few important issues. The question of the plug is self evident - either buy a charger with proper EU plug or an adapter - your choice of convenience. Then there is the cable(s) to suit your phone and other gadgets - and 10 ft cable length a good point addressed above. Perhaps consider a magnetic connector. And now to the charger - size, power, number of sockets for cables and which type of sockets.

In the days before modern history, chargers were simple devices with transformers (for voltage) and a few electronic components to give a DC current. Now the chargers are much more complicated, and of relevance, more powerful in the last few years for rapid charging with various brands using different technologies and with different max power. The technology also influences size. Do you want one with GaN? Is the objective smallest, lightest optimised for a Camino?

Phone and chargers can interact with each other to determine optimum charging rates for improved speed and battery life. The best is now using the USB-C socket on the charger with matching USB-C plug on the charger-end of the cable. The older USB-A is still ok but not as good for some phones. Perhaps a charger with 2 or 3 sockets and a mix of Type C and A sockets depending on your gadgets.

If you don't care about all this complication it doesn't really matter.

Unless you think you are concerned about the life of your phone battery or charging time in Albergues, or cafes if your battery is low mid-walk. And of course quality, particularly for the high powered chargers because the cheap ones might not do what it says on the packet, or have been known to produce puffs of smoke.

The way I think about such matters is that for important items I get them organised before I leave home. And the only things I carry are important, and chosen with an appropriate degree of frugality. The only item I have purchase locally has been a local Spanish SIM card and now eSIM avoids that.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oh, and a charge pack for when you are not near a mains supply. Use the one you have already (?) if it is small and light. As for the charger with EU plug, a lot of outdoor/electronic/travel/hiking/stores etc sell them.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.