• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irún to San Sebastián - how long?

Peakseeker

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino del Norte this autumn
My train from Barcelona drops me at Irún around 1 pm tomorrow. Would reaching San Sebastián by nightfall be a realistic feat or might I consider staying in Irún and starting bright and early the next day?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It would be a pretty good haul to make it after traveling all day. Many people elect to make it in two days from Irun to SB under good conditions....so just an afternoon would not make a lot of sense when just starting out. Why not strart out from Irun and stay after a couple of hours. That way you will be into SB fresh and early the next day. San Sabastian is really a great place and is worth extra time.

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/irun/san-sebastian

Hi @Peakseeker
I’d enjoy Irún on you arrival day unless you are really in a hurry.

The stage (see the gronze link ) is roughly 25k but felt longer for me with jet lag. I started in the morning from albergue in Irún but still stopped at 16k point ‘ Pasajes de San Juan’. Enjoyed the afternoon there too. May not be easy to find accommodation in pasajes if you arrive later though -
Buen Camino
Annie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started from Irun at almost 2:00 pm, and stopped in Pasajes de San Juan. The albergue there is very small, so I made a reservation at a small guest house there - Casa Txurdin, tel +34 685 47 57 33 . The cost was 25 Euros for a private room with shared bath and breakfast.

I agree with @trecile. If you are really keen to start, maybe stopping at Pasajes de San Juan is a more realistic option. It all depends on listening to your body and choosing the best option for yourself at the conditions you will be at arrival :)

If you decide to overnight in Irun, then Hendaye, which is effectively a twin town, is well worth a look too. It was the location of a famous/notorious meeting between Franco and Hitler in WWII, quite a story.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did Irun to SAN Sebastián in the pouring rain. It was the scariest thing I’ve ever done. We took a cab the last 7km from the water cab spot. I would allow a whole day so you get to San Sebastián early and really enjoy it. Beautiful place.

Attachments

• 45F0FE13-8333-435C-BAFE-C4304B22568C.jpeg
    45F0FE13-8333-435C-BAFE-C4304B22568C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
If you decide to overnight in Irun, then Hendaye, which is effectively a twin town, is well worth a look too. It was the location of a famous/notorious meeting between Franco and Hitler in WWII, quite a story.
Indeed... Franco arrived 20 minutes too late and Hitler said something like "You cannot do anything serious with these guys"... Just crossing the old bridge to Hendaye and reliving the steps of thousands of Spanish refugees fleeing Franco's army is an amazing feeling.

I am not sure you can do that stretch in peace, days are getting shorter and shorter, and it is a TOUGH stage. I would book a bed in Passaia/Pasajes, or else would spend the afternoon visiting Hondarribia/Fuenterrabía or even Saint Jean de Luz on the French side, Irun is not a particularly attractive town itself.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My train from Barcelona drops me at Irún around 1 pm tomorrow. Would reaching San Sebastián by nightfall be a realistic feat or might I consider staying in Irún and starting bright and early the next day?
Given your forum name is Peakseeker, I feel there's a hint here that you might be quite fit and a fast walker? In which case, if you are squeezed for camino days and don't want to sacrifice one right at the start, you could probably do it. Someone else to confirm but I'm guessing it's dark by 6.30pm. So you'd benefit from having a good headtorch (to see waymarks) to get you down the Ulia hill and into the outskirts of San Seb. And it'd ease the pressure if you have a place to stay already booked. But if your train is delayed or the weather is bad, I'd either hold up in Irun or just go over to Pasajes as suggested above.
Just crossing the old bridge to Hendaye and reliving the steps of thousands of Spanish refugees fleeing Franco's army is an amazing feeling.
If you find yourself kicking around Irun for half a day, yes, worth going over the old bridge to Hendaye. Note the architectural contrast. In the civil war the Germans bombed Irun hard, but avoided its French sister town on the other side of the river.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back