• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irache Fuente de Vino is not alone

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Before continuing on this intriguing subject I must admit that I possess a somewhat, well, shall we say, deviant personality. I go down all the alternative routes mentioned in the guide books. I have an admiration for all things Romanesque and will search sites out all along the Camino and often very far off the accepted beaten track. While walking the Camino Portugués I ate Papas de Sarrabulho, never heard of it? If you like morcilla you will love this even though its not a sausage. Moving along, Wine! Warms the heart and allows quick camaraderie. Less then 20 kilometers north of Santo Domingo de la Calzada lies the town of Haro. The Camino skirts Haro, there is no pilgrim albergue there, no pilgrims menu to be found. Haro is a very beautiful little town which also happens to be the agricultural, commercial, and culinary epicenter and benchmark for...Rioja wine! Now, the weekend is coming up, you feel you deserve a rest, and you already have been beguiled by the chickens in Santo Domingo well, a good walker can be in Haro before lunchtime! You will not regret the experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you Sabine, I stand corrected. I was last there 2-3 years ago and the albergue was closed for renovations the neighbors were very friendly and helped me find a place to stay but the albergue appeared abandoned. Glad to hear that it is open again.
S

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
some pics of Haro

Attachments

• Haro057 (400x267).jpg
    Haro057 (400x267).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Haro223 (400x267).jpg
    Haro223 (400x267).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,105
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cheers Arn. Especially for you...this display...

Attachments

• P9040090 (400x300).jpg
    P9040090 (400x300).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,046
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ohh... please restraine your self a bit, it is friday here and we should keep jamon of the menu.
wine is fine. Have you any pictures with cheese tapas or pimento?.

Hieronimus,

I cater for all tastes...voilà

Attachments

• IMG_1729 (400x300).jpg
    IMG_1729 (400x300).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 866
Since we have delightfully slid into a discussion on tapas maybe we should open a new reply or continue to develop this one. Tapas in Barcelona are exquisite, very pleasing to the eye, far less pleasing to the pocketbook, and truthfully, not the best around. Logrono as some interesting options however that 2200 deadline does not allow one to fully appreciate the opportunities. In Santiago the most obvious place is a Taberna do Bispo, Calle do Franco 37 there are many others, the best pulpo is NOT Pulperia Ezequiel in Melide, a far better serving can be found in O'Cebreiro and even better at Casa Fidel in Pontevedra along the Camino Portugues. Moving along to the best tapas I have ever seen, tasted, and paid for is to be found in San Sebastian! The Basque people call it pincho or pintxo due to the "nail" which holds their creations together - what a people, what a town, what a pleasant experience.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Spain is such a great country when it comes to food ( and when it comes to all other things cultural because for me food is a big part of the cultural heritage ).
Wrting down my preferred bares, restaurantes would take me ages. Each region with their specialties, the local markets, love for the homemade products, the artisenal flair , the bread, the milk from Asturias, the extended families on sunday afternoons in their local resto ( even now with the dire economical situation ), the Michelin rated chefs in Pais Vasco, the fishmonger at the local mercado in Cadiz : glorious!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
SabineP said:
Spain is such a great country when it comes to food...
Yes.

Re: St Domingo to Haro

If you are in Santo Domingo and you would like to walk/bike to Haro, take de old railroad way (Calle de Estación). It's parallel on the right side of the LR111 and goes till Casalarreina (2/3 of the way to Haro) (you can see it in google maps). Casalarreina has a beautiful monasteria.

I have another suggestion for those with a bike, more scenic. Before and just after Santo Domingo d/l C while looking to the direction of Haro (a little bit more to the left), at the horizon, there is a very nice rock formation. Type in Cellorigo in "google pictures" and you will see what I mean.
I once did it with the bike because I was attracted by the rock formation. At Cellorigo there are no shops, no bar, even no fountain, only some houses. But you will have a splendid view over "La Rioja". You can take a break on return trip at the nice village Sajazarra. I was told that the castle is in hands of a Coca Cola-manager.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back