• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irache Fuente de Vino

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Suck on that tap!!!

Attachments

• fuente (1).jpg
    fuente (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,164
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Such a wonderful gesture by the Bodega such awful wine! Having said that, who hasn't found him/herself on the path to Luguin sitting among rhe lavender eating cheese and drinking the wine. Imbibing the stuff and sitting under the canvas awning at Villamayor doesn't make it taste any better and shouldn't really count!

Were we just unlucky...or is it quite common for the wine fountain to be empty at around 8:30 in the morning?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I`d have to say that I have been twice to that fuente, and in both times wine was good. Last time it was not flowing well ( rather dripping) but I still colected enough for lunch later on. hope they keep the tradition and add chese and crackers as well.

Once dripping and once flowing. Both at roughtly the same time of day. It steadies the shakes after a good night in Estella. :shock:

Buen Camino!

I think he's actually sucking on the water tap - the left hand one dispenses the vino..... :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes, that tap is actually the water tap.

I was there on 20th May and there was no wine to be had. :(

Maybe it's because I was there at 8am on a Sunday morning.

Patience is indeed a virtue, having visited the bodega on several occasions, usually even earlier than 0800. I know that there is a very long distance from the vine to that tap. The wine may be induced to flow more freely by opening the tap and placing your thumb over the exit of the spigot then open close open close by removing your thumb for several minutes. Who said he liked the wine? You must have had a hard night in Estella.

Oh, the man is sucking on the tap! I watched him on the camera, and snapped the video capture as he bent over. I favor living in the moment, but if you were going to the Fuente de Vino, wouldn't you plan to bring a cup or canteen? That hardly seems to me to be too much planning ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
scruffy1 said:
Who said he liked the wine? You must have had a hard night in Estella.
I didn't say I particularly liked the wine, but I'm not usually a wine drinker anyway! I do, however, like Estella and have had several beers there!

On my last Camino the Estella-Los Arcos stage was dedicated to someone, so I was on my best behaviour and just drank from a scallop shell. The previous time (when the fountain was empty) I had a plastic bottle all ready to supplement my lunch. Typical! :lol:

Buen Camino!

If our experience is anything to go by, then this may be one explanation of why the fountain is sometimes empty.

When we stopped in April there were two furtive locals with gallon plastic drums waiting to fill up from what is not a fast flowing tap. We queued behind the first, and then watched the second fill up after we had sampled the wine and taken our photographs, and his!!

Although by no means a red wine connoisseur, I have to say I didn't think the wine was too bad at all.

In 2005, my Camino brother and I arrived in Estella early afternoon. He didn't know about Irache, so I suggested we clean up, eat, nap, and then take a walk to the tap. Later that day, we arrived with one small water bottle I made into two "cups". We might have had a "glass" each sitting there for nearly two hours while sipping/talking of life/meeting other peregrinos who were passing. This was one of my best days ever. The next morning, we walked on by knowing we already had our share.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back