• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irache Webcam back in operation

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The last time I was at the fountain there were a couple of boys from Sweden talking to their father back in Sweden and waving to him on the web cam. They said it was very early morning and they had woke him up.
Actually, if you know about when you will get there you can arrange for someone back home to check you out at the fountain. 8)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We were there around 8 a.m. so we filled a little water bottle, little, for later. Good wine even out of the plastic bottle. :wink:

Very gently and poetically, the fountain says:

A beber sin abusar te invitamos con agrado. para poderlo llevar el vino ha de ser comprado.
Roughly in Babelfish English:
To drink without abusing we invited to you with affability. To be able to take it, the wine has to be bought.

The pilgrim is invited to partake, but is asked to purchase wine if it is "to go." My experience is that a lot of pilgrims abuse the hospitality, some with multiple two-liter bottles. Needless to say, the fountain runs dry by late morning.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Falcon, very interesting comment. I did not notice, perhaps I didn't look to see, is there a donation box "to buy"the take away wine? This is a serious question, I really do not know. The translation you sent suggests that there might be.

If so I will have to go back there and pay my share. Oh pity, to journey again to Irache! Here I come :arrow:

You can buy wine in little bottles from the vending machine, which we did one Sunday morning when only the water fountain was producing. I don't know if there is another way to buy the wine.
Sue

I love the vending machines in Spain, they are full of all kinds of little surprises.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've looked in on the Irache web-cam a few times since this thread announced that it was back up, but I've yet to see any pilgrims there. Is it too early in the year?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Again after some down time, the camera is up. This guy took a drink, filled his water bottle, then headed out.

Attachments

• fuentea.jpg
    fuentea.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 4,939
The fellow just before this group was sucking on the spigot!!!

Touregrinos may make it difficult for peregrinos to get to the fountain:

Attachments

• fuentec.jpg
    fuentec.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 4,676
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I noticed the sucking...

15-20 people drinking. One or two preferred water, the rest... :D

Seems the lot fell out of a bus: Not a backpack to see :lol:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At the start of a recent CP in Porto, I saw adverts for bus day trips to Santiago de Compostela: part of the package was to attend the pilgrim mass there.

Maybe Irache is on the list of attractions too, for some bus tours.

Korporate kamino.

It is 12:45 am here in California as I type this and watching the pilgrims drink wine and take pictures gave me a little chill up my spine. I will be leaving California August 14th for Paris then on to Le Puy. What an amazing community this is.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for this posting! I had no idea this existed. Just sent the link to my family and will text them when I get there next week, so they can look for my daughter and me on camera. And to think I was going to leave my antibacterial wipes at home!! I may just have to bring a few for the spigot ;)

Caption Contest:Cardinal Santa Claus endorses local winery.

Attachments

• y.jpg
    y.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 3,890
Beverly, I'm with you. I guess I'll just have to go back to Irache to pay for my wine!

DARN!

Seriously, I had no idea there was a place for donations.... is it hidden?
Perhaps they should be encouraged to post the sign in various languages so people understand?
I am pretty sure that most people assume the wine is there for the taking.
I did...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another pilgrim sucks on the spigot:
I randomly visit the Irache webcam for a minute a few times during the week, and I am becoming disturbed by the number of times that I see someone sucking on the spigot! Are pilgrims really such pigs?? They are rarely alone, so they are being watched by their friends and fellow pilgrims, and no one seems to tell them that putting their mouth on the wine tap is not an acceptable thing to do. Has all that baise a la joue with strangers made them oblivious to the social graces? Just askin'.

Attachments

• y.jpg
    y.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 3,703
Caminando said:
At the start of a recent CP in Porto, I saw adverts for bus day trips to Santiago de Compostela: part of the package was to attend the pilgrim mass there.

Maybe Irache is on the list of attractions too, for some bus tours.

Korporate kamino.

When I walked through Irache in 2007, the pilgrim wine was all gone, thanks to a couple of busloads of turigrinos, who then laughed at all the pilgrims on foot who came expecting wine, but got nothing. Ah well.

Kelly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The fountain being cleaned:
He did wipe the spigots, so all that spit from the tap-suckers is gone!

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 3,452
Well, the cleanliness did not last long. I cannot believe the number of pilgrims I have seen with their mouth on the spigot with just random visits to the webcam during the week.

Attachments

• y.jpg
    y.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 3,418
Smart pilgrims will wipe the spigot themselves before filling their cups.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When you are a kid, everything is made to be climbed!

Attachments

• fuente.jpg
    fuente.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 3,264
Occasionally, the groups are large:

On the other hand, the backpacks are not.

Attachments

• fuente.jpg
    fuente.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,994
Unless there is a continuous loop on the Irache webcam, I've been watching the same two "pilgrims" help themselves for about 1/2 hour.

Maybe they should put in a little coin machine so you have to pay in order for the wine to be dispensed! They do that with milk in the Netherlands. 10 cents per cup!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gross! Not only did he suck from the spigot, he made a movie to encourage others to do so!
Oh well.. maybe the alcohol kills all the germs.
But as you can see, many assume it is "free" (as did I until you folks told me different). :oops:

Are you SURE there's a donation box???

There is no donation box. The wine is free. They do ask that wine-to-go be purchased around the corner at the retail store, which is open the usual irregular hours. If everyone filled a bota bag with a liter of wine, there would be nothing left by ten in the morning! Perhaps thinking of it as an unattended wine tasting might give the spirit of the offering. You don't expect to take the bottle from a wine tasting, or fill up a canteen. You drink a glass, and move on.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ooooohhhhhh....thank you for clarifying this.

In an earlier post on this topic, I, for some reason, was led to believe there was a donation box.
That concerned me since I did NOT pay for my glass, nor did I see a box for donations.

I no longer feel guilty.
HOORAY!

No donation box as Falcon has said.
But...there is a webcam (the one we are seeing) mounted opposite the fountain. There is a sign giving the website. I have seen people talking on the phone and waving to the camera.
They had called home and told them to have a look and then could wave from the Camino.
Time of day at home could be a problem.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back