• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irache wine fountain - 30,000+ bottles so far this year!

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The generosity of the owners of that winery is awe-inspiring.

They may get some good publicity, like this article, from what they do, but that can't possible make up for all the lost sales. They have single-handedly created one of the most iconic experiences on the CF for us peregrinos.

Our heartfelt thanks to them!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A fun piece of trivia I came across just now. Apparently so far this year the fountain has supplied nearly 24,000 litres of wine - about 32,000 bottles worth :)

On my 2017 Camino we passed the Irache fountain but tragically despite it only being 09:00 am there was no wine being dispensed. A couple of days later my Camino mate and I volunteered to cook a communal dinner in the Albergue in Najera. In the supermarket we saw some bottles of Irache so bought one to try. It was, quite frankly, awful, and so I felt that I had dodged a bullet.

One would not expect the wine to be a rich fusion of brilliance with notes of blackberry, licorice, and toast. And it wasn't! Still, the gesture by Irache is notable, and I, for one, salute them for their generosity.

Yep, tasted awful....... I suspect it's stuff they were not planning to bottle anyway.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yep, tasted awful....... I suspect it's stuff they were not planning to bottle anyway.
Aah, come on … it’s a joven the new ferment from that years harvest ( think Beaujolais Nuveau for those who can’t spell French and hate cheap wine (a contradiction in terms if there ever was)). The stuff you get from the fuente Irache is about what you get which every menu Peregrino or as a bunch in every tourist trap from Madrid to Malaga.
What did you expect? A reasonable Crianza with a little character and perhaps some developing potential. Five years worth of careful nurture from raw ferment via barrique and barrel to bottle and careful cellaring?

The family, the family not some sodding vast conglomerate company, have a tradition, a long held tradition, of providing a slurp of vino to passing pilgrims. Pilgrims on the road to the bones of Santiago.
It cannot possibly be the fault of the Bodega Irache that everyone today is a wine critic or that every passing Pilgrim has a clearer understanding of their entitlement than the incompetents who open the tap every day

Aah, come on … it’s a joven the new ferment from that years harvest ( think Beaujolais Nuveau for those who can’t spell French and hate cheap wine (a contradiction in terms if there ever was)). The stuff you get from the fuente Irache is about what you get which every menu Peregrino or as a bunch in every tourist trap from Madrid to Malaga.
What did you expect? A reasonable Crianza with a little character and perhaps some developing potential. Five years worth of careful nurture from raw ferment via barrique and barrel to bottle and careful cellaring?

The family, the family not some sodding vast conglomerate company, have a tradition, a long held tradition, of providing a slurp of vino to passing pilgrims. Pilgrims on the road to the bones of Santiago.
It cannot possibly be the fault of the Bodega Irache that everyone today is a wine critic or that every passing Pilgrim has a clearer understanding of their entitlement than the incompetents who open the tap every day
Sorry, I did not mean to be over critical. :oops:

Only that any time I have tried it, it tasted really rough. Oxidised.
Not surprising of course, considering the way it is dispensed.

I'm sure the stuff that makes it into bottles is good.
I've never had a bad wine yet walking the Camino! :)

And I drink wines from that region at home...... the cheap stuff ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
On my 2017 Camino we passed the Irache fountain but tragically despite it only being 09:00 am there was no wine being dispensed. A couple of days later my Camino mate and I volunteered to cook a communal dinner in the Albergue in Najera. In the supermarket we saw some bottles of Irache so bought one to try. It was, quite frankly, awful, and so I felt that I had dodged a bullet.
Unless it has changed since I was there, they put in a hundred liters a day. Maybe they hadn't gotten around to putting in the day's quota at 09:00. Or maybe the new owners are less generous. Last time I was hospitalero, a Venezuelan company bought them and raised the prices. We looked for and found another source.

I was happy to fill my cycling bidon with what so so generously provided and ride away. Can't say I recall much more about the wine (or the day... ) 🤣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Obviously, numerous pilgrims are not able to read, or at least not able to read Spanish, otherwise they would know that they are politely asked to take just a sip for a toast and not fill their bottles. 🤷‍♀️

Here's some info you rarely find in Camino blogs:

Bodegas Irache, located in Ayegui, was founded in 1891, although its vineyards already supplied wine to the Royal House of Navarra since the 12th century thanks to the work of the Benedictine monks in the Monastery of Irache. It expanded production in 1918, again 1944, and then in 1970, and now produces more than 10 million litres per year.
So measured in volume the wine fountain dispenses about 0,4 % of their annual production and presumably even less so when measured in € in production cost or turnover. I doubt that the wine fountain was the reason why they had to find a mega-rich investor a few years ago. 😑

Obviously, numerous pilgrims are not able to read, or at least not able to read Spanish, otherwise they would know that they are politely asked to take just a sip for a toast and not fill their bottles. 🤷‍♀️

Here's some info you rarely find in Camino blogs:

Bodegas Irache, located in Ayegui, was founded in 1891, although its vineyards already supplied wine to the Royal House of Navarra since the 12th century thanks to the work of the Benedictine monks in the Monastery of Irache. It expanded production in 1918, again 1944, and then in 1970, and now produces more than 10 million litres per year.
So measured in volume the wine fountain dispenses about 0,4 % of their annual production and presumably even less so when measured in € in production cost or turnover. I doubt that the wine fountain was the reason why they had to find a mega-rich investor a few years ago. 😑

Exactly! That why it is empty so fast...........

Will be heading that way next March. Is there a store at the winery? Be good to purchase a bottle, after taking my sip.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So one thing I learned from dining with Spanish pilgrims this year was that, when ordering menu peregrino and getting vino tinto for our drinks, they asked for gaseosa/limonada. Vino tinto/joven is not matured in barrel at all hence the acidity. So they poured a bit of “sprite” to take away the acidity and make it smoother. It was nice and I’ve been ordering that with my menu peregrino at no extra charge since!

So for the Irache fountain, maybe have a small bottle of lemonade (the traditional brand used is “La Casera”) at the ready 😝

Other vino tinto/soda mixes: tinto de verano, a cocktail you can order in bars or buy in supermarket already pre-mixed. It’s one part wine and one part lemonade. So it tastes like Vimto. I don’t like it. There’s also kalimotxo which is 2/3 coke and 1/3 vino tinto.

Well, the signs there are in both English and Spanish. Which means half of the Korean pilgrims can't read them. But most Europeans can. I was there one day when a car pulled up, four people speaking Spanish jumped out, each carrying two big jugs that they filled up and carried away.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It varies in quality from day to day, seemingly, and not every bottled Irache wine is the same either. The cheaper bottles are not as good as others, and should really only be taken as table wine with a meal, not drank on its own.

There wasn't a drop to be had from it when I passed at 3pm a few days ago. Whether it had been drank dry or they shut it off in the afternoon I will never know...

There wasn't a drop to be had from it when I passed at 3pm a few days ago. Whether it had been drank dry or they shut it off in the afternoon I will never know...
I think that it probably gets emptied within a couple of hours in the morning as people fill their water bottles :rolleyes:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Normally I would say so, and when I last walked this path 6 years ago in September, there was a queue!
But it's very quiet now. At this time there are only a handful of people passing everyday..

It amazes me how people can be incredibly greedy about something just because they can get it for free, and then complain that the quality is not up to their standard.

The winery should install a self-limiting dispenser to make it harder to take more than a shell-full at a time.

I think that it probably gets emptied within a couple of hours in the morning as people fill their water bottles :rolleyes:
My son and I each had a small cup of the wine. Then he decided to empty his water bottle and fill it with the wine. He no sooner had an inch in the bottom when the tap shut off. We laughed and said they employ someone to "spy" on the pilgrims to keep them from being greedy.😅

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It amazes me how people can be incredibly greedy about something just because they can get it for free, and then complain that the quality is not up to their standard.

The winery should install a self-limiting dispenser to make it harder to take more than a shell-full at a time.
Last time I was there, the spigot had to be worked back and forth. Each time it was turned, it only spit out about four CCs.

Will be heading that way next March. Is there a store at the winery? Be good to purchase a bottle, after taking my sip.
Not only a store, but a nice museum of old wine-making artifacts and a few other old things. And on the way to it from Ayegui, a blacksmith (if still there) makes all sorts of cool things. One of his items gave me an inspiration to sketch a design for a pair of bookends and ask him to make them. One has a pilgrim with a heavy load approaching a cross, and the other has him walking away from the cross with the burden left behind.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back