• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ireland to Santiago

ggtree

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis June 2018
Does anyone have any experience beginning a Camino in Ireland, taking a boat to Spain then continuing on the Norte route? I can only find ferries that require one to have a vehicle. Thanks -Gigi

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No experience, but i have tried to research it. Looks like the only way is to head to Portsmouth and, using the website in the attached photo, try to follow guidelines for getting to North of Spain. I would try to avoid high winds as the bay of Biscay is not the smoothest bay to be tossed around in!
3D285046-3074-4D33-B358-58D44A01EEBE.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While not a camino, when I lived in Ireland I traveled to Santander (on the Norte) by SailRail Galway-Dublin-Holyhead-London-Portsmouth/Plymouth then cruise ferry to Bilbao/Santander as described by The Man in Seat61 in Kirkie's attached screengrab. But that was when there were options for Plymouth and Bilbao so I swapped it around to time my outward and return journeys better.
Last year, I used the cruise ferry Portsmouth to Santander for a camino and did return across the Bay of Biscay during Storm Ophelia (it was OK, they diverted a bit and we were a few hours late arriving). The options may have decreased but it was an easier journey because I was starting from near London.
However, The Man in Seat61 has been reporting that foot passenger travel is becoming more difficult all round. It's still worthwhile doing though! I do recommend jumping on the Portsmouth foot passenger options while they're still available and adding 12 hours either side to travel from/to Ireland. It's a slow-travel experience that's very in keeping with camino mentality.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Does anyone have any experience beginning a Camino in Ireland, taking a boat to Spain then continuing on the Norte route? I can only find ferries that require one to have a vehicle. Thanks -Gigi

I recommend you contact the Camino Society of Ireland, http://www.caminosociety.com/

They will provide you with every possible way to get from Ireland to Spain. There is no need to cross into the UK.

Also, you should know that there is a Celtic Camino. You start in Ireland and walk at least 25 - 35 km. The traditional start of a Camino in Dublin is at St. James Gate (the Guiness Brewery), or at the nearby Church of Saint James.

Under a deal with the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, you can start your camino in Ireland, obtaining the requisite stamps. Then get on a boat, or plane and hop over to Spain to compete your walking pilgrimage.

You continue your camino in Spain starting from one of the traditional places, usually A Coruna. This qualifies you for a Compostela if you did the first tranche in Ireland as mentioned. Without the first tranche of km in Ireland the distance is not qualifying.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you are flexible, I just completed the Kerry Camino (Dingle Peninsula), caught the bus back to Dublin and a flight to Santiago. From there, I went to Porto for the Camino Portuguese, altho I could have gone to Ferrol or A Coruna or Bilbao/Irun.

I, like you, sought out available ferry services but really they do not exist, right now. And what is available is quite a bit more than a direct flight from Dublin to Spain.

However, I am planning an Ireland / Spain Camino in 2019. For me, I will fly into Dublin, take a bus to Bray, South of Dublin and walk to St. James Church to complete my Irish leg. Then, take a plane to A Coruna or Santiago. If I get to A Coruna, then I will walk the Camino Ingles to SdC. If I fly to Santiago, it is a 20 minute train to A Coruna. Easy Peasy. 😎

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I, like you, sought out available ferry services but really they do not exist, right now. And what is available is quite a bit more than a direct flight from Dublin to Spain.

However, I am planning an Ireland / Spain Camino in 2019. For me, I will fly into Dublin, take a bus to Bray, South of Dublin and walk to St. James Church to complete my Irish leg. Then, take a plane to A Coruna or Santiago. If I get to A Coruna, then I will walk the Camino Ingles to SdC. If I fly to Santiago, it is a 20 minute train to A Coruna. Easy Peasy. 😎
Hi Michelle, yourself and t2andreo are quite correct, if you walk 25km on a recognised pilgrim path in Ireland, of which there are beautiful historic routes, then you get a Celtic Camino certificate. You can then walk from A Coruña to Santiago, 75km and receive a compostela from the pilgrim office. You must present your Celtic Camino certificate at the pilgrim office. Check out www.pilgrimpaths.ie. They usually do 5 of these routes during Easter week so you can plan to go from one path to the next. At this time they are guided and well worth taking the guide as you hear historic, religious and cultural information along the way. There is available a Celtic passport available to get stamped at each route. They are 20 to 35km in length approx. Otherwise just pick the route from lovely Bray to St. James Church although it's about 35km. Welcome to Ireland 🇮🇪

I recommend you contact the Camino Society of Ireland, http://www.caminosociety.com/

They will provide you with every possible way to get from Ireland to Spain. There is no need to cross into the UK.

Also, you should know that there is a Celtic Camino. You start in Ireland and walk at least 25 - 35 km. The traditional start of a Camino in Dublin is at St. James Gate (the Guiness Brewery), or at the nearby Church of Saint James.

Under a deal with the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, you can start your camino in Ireland, obtaining the requisite stamps. Then get on a boat, or plane and hop over to Spain to compete your walking pilgrimage.

You continue your camino in Spain starting from one of the traditional places, usually A Coruna. This qualifies you for a Compostela if you did the first tranche in Ireland as mentioned. Without the first tranche of km in Ireland the distance is not qualifying.

Hope this helps.
Hi Michelle, yourself and t2andreo are quite correct, if you walk 25km on a recognised pilgrim path in Ireland, of which there are beautiful historic routes, then you get a Celtic Camino certificate. You can then walk from A Coruña to Santiago, 75km and receive a compostela from the pilgrim office. You must present your Celtic Camino certificate at the pilgrim office. Check out www.pilgrimpaths.ie. They usually do 5 of these routes during Easter week so you can plan to go from one path to the next. At this time they are guided and well worth taking the guide as you hear historic, religious and cultural information along the way. There is available a Celtic passport available to get stamped at each route. They are 20 to 35km in length approx. Otherwise just pick the route from lovely Bray to St. James Church although it's about 35km. Welcome to Ireland 🇮🇪

Hi @Amigos caminando, I've just been reading this feed as I would like to do a Celtic Camino walk in Ireland and then continue on the Camino Ingles to Santiago to qualify for a compostela. Do you have any idea if there is a maximum amount of time during which one must complete both in order to qualify? For example do they both have to be done in the same month, season, year? I'm just trying to determine if I could walk in Ireland this summer and then walk the Ingles next spring. Thanks.

I recommend that you contact the Camino Society of Ireland. See link above. They will give you a straight, reliable answer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm very interested in the 5 Celtic walks also, and will might plan to head to Spain by boat, to end in Santiago, so my Q i have: is Easter the best time to complete this.
I'm planning my for 2020, as I don't think work and the wife will let me go soon after after completing the CF in Oct 2018.
So miss the Camino though.

Hi PetePie, check out www.pilgrimpaths.ie for guided walks over Easter. The advantage is as part of the organised walk you will be returned to the start of the walk. There are usually refreshments provided. As I mentioned before you will hear religious, historical, archielogical and local information given from excellent guides. It's possible to complete all walks but that involves a fair bit of travel between them. Look at distances of walks and location and choose what suits you. You only need 25km for Celtic Compostela in Ireland. Be prepared for all kinds of weather!!

For anyone interested in the Celtic Camino I have completed the St Kevins Glendalough Pilgrimage twice as final preparation walks before arriving in SJPdeP. Its a wonderful 26km walk. To get there couldn't be easier. In Dublin get on the bus aptly named St. Kevins Bus near St Stephens Green and 20 euro and 1 hour later arrive in Glendalough. From there there is a visitor centre, hotel and youth hostel (15 euro) all a stone's throw from the pick-up point for guided walk run by Eileen at @glendaloughpilgrimage that can be found on Facebook. Both walks I have been part of took place in August but walks available throughout the year. At beginning of walk you receive your stamped pilgrimpath.ie passport for 5 euro (this is separate from the Camino Society Ireland Passport that you can pickup at St. James Church or @caminosocietyireland) and for another 5 euro taken by bus with a group of around 50 people to the starting point Valleymount then walk back the 26km, 6 hour walk to the majestic Glendalough monastic site. Inside the visitor centre you can lay your hands on the labyrinth, the standing stone that is inspiration behind what I consider one of the most unique stamps to be found on any Camino, a recent podcast with the guide Eileen and bbc reporter describes it best 🤠

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am copying this from the Camino of Santiago website in Ireland It is short, and lovely! For anyone in Ireland, this is so accessible. I traced my own route, and just used an old credencial I had, which actually I did not continue using, as I walked from Ferrol rather than from A Corunna. enjoy There are other lovely videos on the Irish website, do look them up! Camino, pilgrimage: one day, lovely people, we will have all the answers to the questions we do not even know that we have, and that drive us onward and upwards, ever onwards!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back