• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irene is going

Irene Schade

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago Camino Frances
Coming from Washington state. :) thinking of flying to Madrid and taking the train to Pamploma then bus to St Jean. Any suggestions of how to figure out when my plane lands what the train schedule is and then when the train arrives at Pamploma when the bus leaves for St Jean? And how many days should I allow for travel before I actually start on the Camino? If I wanted to start walking on June 1st what day should I leave Washington. I am super excited and love hearing about everyone elses journey.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome Irene,

Check Rome2Rio.com for timetables.

A night or two in Madrid may be nice. You can overcome jet lag while sightseeing.

Buen camino.

Is that easier from the US?

I'm in BC and I fly to Parris then Biarittz.

This time around I am getting there 6 days early. Taking a day off in Bayonne, 2 days to walk to St Jean... 2 days off in St Jean then starting.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Coming from Washington state. :) thinking of flying to Madrid and taking the train to Pamploma then bus to St Jean. Any suggestions of how to figure out when my plane lands what the train schedule is and then when the train arrives at Pamploma when the bus leaves for St Jean? And how many days should I allow for travel before I actually start on the Camino? If I wanted to start walking on June 1st what day should I leave Washington. I am super excited and love hearing about everyone elses journey.

I live in Wenatchee. From Seattle I find it cheaper and easier to fly into Paris, (Charles de Gaulle/CDG, or Orly/ORY) than into Madrid. It is also quicker and easier for arrival in SJPdP.

From Paris, I take a quick flight to Biarritz. Then a quick option is the 50 minute Express Bouricott shuttle ride from Biarritz airport into St Jean Pied de Port.

Typically, you will arrive in Europe one calendar day ahead of departure. So, if you depart Sea-Tac on May 29, you will arrive in Paris on May 30. You can catch the flight from Paris to Biarritz that same day, and be in St Jean by late afternoon or early evening on May 30.

That gives you a full day on May 31 to rest before walking on Camino on June 1st. If you do not need a day of rest, and resting for a mid-afternoon and evening is sufficient, then you can leave the next morning (which is what I do). If that is the case, then depart Sea-Tac on May 30 to begin your pilgrimage on June 1.

Check the rates for Norwegian Air. . .they have had some very good prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hola Irene - your E-Ticket should have the following information: a 5 or 6 letter/number code that is your personal booking code; it will also have your flight number; departure time (in local 24:00 hour clock) and then the destination, and time of arrival - also in 24:00 hour clock.

If you have not booked just log on to any airline booking site, input your departure place and destination - Madrid and see what flights come up. If you are trying to get out of Madrid on the same day you arrive then you will want a flight arriving between 06.00 and 07.30. From memory there were only two "high speed" trains from Madrid to Pamplona - one departing around 10.15 and the other some time after 15.00. The early one gets into Pamplona around 14.00. Not sure when the later train arrives. Both trains depart from Attocha Station (its the one towards the South end of Madrid city). I have had no experience with the ALSA buses from the Airport to Pamplona. Cheers for now.

I live in Wenatchee. From Seattle I find it cheaper and easier to fly into Paris, (Charles de Gaulle/CDG, or Orly/ORY) than into Madrid. It is also quicker and easier for arrival in SJPdP.

From Paris, I take a quick flight to Biarritz. Then a quick option is the 50 minute Express Bouricott shuttle ride from Biarritz airport into St Jean Pied de Port.

Typically, you will arrive in Europe one calendar day ahead of departure. So, if you depart Sea-Tac on May 29, you will arrive in Paris on May 30. You can catch the flight from Paris to Biarritz that same day, and be in St Jean by late afternoon or early evening on May 30.

That gives you a full day on May 31 to rest before walking on Camino on June 1st. If you do not need a day of rest, and resting for a mid-afternoon and evening is sufficient, then you can leave the next morning (which is what I do). If that is the case, then depart Sea-Tac on May 30 to begin your pilgrimage on June 1.

Check the rates for Norwegian Air. . .they have had some very good prices.
Thank you for the help. Did you pre purchase your flight from Paris to Biarritz? Cot did you purchase when you arrived in Paris? Or when you purchased ticket going to Paris did you do a multiply city ticket and get you flight to Biarritz at the same time? Also did you get your bus ticket in the US or did you purchase once you got to Biarritz? Thank you so much for the help.

I fly from Portland, Oregon or Seattle to walk the CF every year.
What I find easiest (and I've done it both ways) is to fly to Madrid.
From Madrid, you can walk out of the terminal and onto a bus to SJPP during season.
OR, what I prefer is to walk out of the terminal and onto a bus to Pamplona.
I spend a couple of days in Pamplona seeing it and resting from the time change.
Then I take an inexpensive bus to SJPP.
THEN, when the whole world is stopping in Pamplona, you've already been there so you can either stop early or walk past and get "between stages," making it more likely you don't have to rush for a bed, especially in June. Feel free to chat me up if you have more questions.

General advice is to book a through ticket. Then any flight delays and missed connections are the airlines problem, not yours. Express Bouricott should be booked in advance. Local Bus to Bayonne & the train to StJdP need not be booked in advance.

Thank you for the help. Did you pre purchase your flight from Paris to Biarritz? Cot did you purchase when you arrived in Paris? Or when you purchased ticket going to Paris did you do a multiply city ticket and get you flight to Biarritz at the same time? Also did you get your bus ticket in the US or did you purchase once you got to Biarritz? Thank you so much for the help.

I made reservations on a flight to Biarritz after I had the international flight reservations made. I personally would not make a multi city reservation.

It is possible to purchase your flight after arrival, there were some empty seats on the flight. But I would recommend reservations.

If you want to take Express Bouricott, you MUST make a reservation ahead. . . primarily because it is likely the shuttle will be full. I would recommend contacting them and reserving a seat as soon as you know what your flight arrival time into Biarritz airport is.

Express Bouricott will technically allow you to phone and reserve a space up to 15 minutes before you want a ride. I have been in their office in SJPdP and watched them answer phone call, after call, requesting same day rides, and telling everyone that there was no space on their shuttles.

I fly from Portland, Oregon or Seattle to walk the CF every year.
What I find easiest (and I've done it both ways) is to fly to Madrid.
From Madrid, you can walk out of the terminal and onto a bus to SJPP during season.
OR, what I prefer is to walk out of the terminal and onto a bus to Pamplona.
I spend a couple of days in Pamplona seeing it and resting from the time change.
Then I take an inexpensive bus to SJPP.
THEN, when the whole world is stopping in Pamplona, you've already been there so you can either stop early or walk past and get "between stages," making it more likely you don't have to rush for a bed, especially in June. Feel free to chat me up if you have more questions.
Can you tell me how far of a bus ride it is from Madrid to SJPP? I have reservations on June 1 at Orisson. That will be my way of acclimating. Does the buses regular is only at certain times. Also I have heard to take the train. Why do you prefer the bus?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can you tell me how far of a bus ride it is from Madrid to SJPP? I have reservations on June 1 at Orisson. That will be my way of acclimating. Does the buses regular is only at certain times. Also I have heard to take the train. Why do you prefer the bus?

Rome2Rio can help you see the various offerings. My priority is getting to SJPdP as quickly as possible, hence my choice to fly into Biarritz from Paris.

I prefer the bus over the train because the buses in Spain are beautiful, comfortable, and usually big Mercedes buses, unlike Greyhound in the USA. They have big old windows so you can watch the countryside. They make regular stops if there is no toilet. The ride to Pamplona is about 6 hours, but if you're going to SJPP and bypassing Pamplona, you may want to do the Biarritz route. I just don't care for that route and prefer to rest in Pamplona first.

I totally agree with Anniesantiago about the buses in Spain. I needed to go super cheap and took the bus home from SdC to Germany one time and I was shocked at how nice it was. Nicer than any airline I'd ever been on (I'm an Army spouse, there have been lots of airlines). I was able to put the very clean, soft, large seat as far back as I needed, I had tons of legroom, it was a surprisingly nice bus ride.
There was a Camino character on the bus who totally kept to himself. What made him a Camino character? He was wearing a toga and his underwear. Nothing else. Oh my!! But he didn't bother anyone and was as quiet as the rest of us. How did I know he was only wearing underwear under his toga? Don't ask.

Hi
got my flights taken care of today. Yah! I land in Madrid and will take the bus to Pamploma May 30th I arrive in Pamploma about 8 in the evening. Plan to spend the night and catch the bus from Pamploma to SJPP. I cannot get the sight to show that there are buses that leave from Pamploma to SJPP and what time. I was hoping to take the bus on the 31st. this is a Sunday. does anyone know if the bus runs on Sundays and how often it runs and do I need to preorder. And is there another sight besides Rio2rome? Thanks for your help

Hi
got my flights taken care of today. Yah! I land in Madrid and will take the bus to Pamploma May 30th I arrive in Pamploma about 8 in the evening. Plan to spend the night and catch the bus from Pamploma to SJPP. I cannot get the sight to show that there are buses that leave from Pamploma to SJPP and what time. I was hoping to take the bus on the 31st. this is a Sunday. does anyone know if the bus runs on Sundays and how often it runs and do I need to preorder. And is there another sight besides Rio2rome? Thanks for your help

I doubled checked, I did not see a bus that day either.

Sundays in Spain are quiet, everything shuts down.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m flying from BC to Paris, then a puddle hopper Easyjet to Biarritz, then a shuttle to SJPDP...all in one day (at least from Paris to SJPDP)....I’m starting the next morning but am only going to Orisson so that will be an easy start for me....I should mention it is my 2nd Camino. My 1st Camino I spent a day in SJPDP but now that I’ve been there already didn’t feel like I needed to spend a day there again.

I see Annie has already answered. But in Spain Alsa buses are lovely, spaciuos, air cond, large comfy seats, screens, snacks toilet, etc. The train will get you there too, but I will always take the bus now - way nicer and more relaxing. You can actually get some rest on the bus, and they are way cheaper and usually faster. you catch the bus straight from the airport, and ride in luxurious comfort to your city.

The other bonus of going to Madrid, is that you can get through the airport really quickly - unlike Paris.

Hi
I just book directly on the Alsa site, its in Spanish but really easy to follow. I dont speak Spanish

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.