• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino @Iriebabel walks from Irún on the Norte

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Check out Omoperc.com
for post for day 1-3 from my camino Del Norte
Here are a few pics and tips for those to come or those who are curious
Weather is very warm lots of sun...cool mornings not a cloud in the sky
Short climb to santuary guadualupe reminiscent of Zubiri but not too bad nice view from here keep to the left of the church as you continue on you will see where the split occurs see in the second set of pictures below
60CA9EA6-66BD-4B02-80B9-A1880C36209F.jpeg
F76C0EFC-788B-4CCA-933A-24D80E5B5F2A.jpeg

Many know of the high route but have you seen it ? Well here it is? I can tell you it’s a bit of a scramble ..on your hands on knees straight up but I would not know I dared not chance it my knee issues are severe I took the low route. I suspect it’s called Jaiskibel for a reason😳
798A74AB-D5DE-40D5-9357-1A789AAD23C3.jpeg
95C6E408-6887-4AB5-A8FF-A43A9AB05E9E.jpeg

What about the low route? Has some rocky challenges and in wet weather would be slippery but little elevation issues..
7CC03850-CF2C-4007-A883-9C416D45AEAD.jpeg
C7892FCE-0C87-42E6-9A68-F547DF3B6964.jpeg

Rest of the way when you get to the main road to Pasajes is concrete uphill along the side of the highway on a small walk track very scary sometimes on an angle on the hillside then down very steep windy concrete road. the sign on the mountain will show 3.4 km but looks to be more. All concrete ...
Until you reach Pasajes de San Juan on a hill side ...no kitchen.lovely hospitelero.. all supplies down the hill. Except the albergue offers bottled water, coke, acquarius for sale.
F27FC201-DC34-4DA9-8841-19DA36BA07A9.jpeg
1E2C2886-D353-47DC-B962-846823AED95C.jpeg

I can’t offer much to San Sebastián as I had to take to bus to the edge of the city to avoid the hill. I walked the rest of the way Down the la concha beach to the albergue la Serena. It’s at the end of beach, follow the bike path to the end then go to the left up the hill. The Wise pilgrim off line map offered here by the name camino places works great ! I had to find a physio. I can recommend CEK osteopath and physio on Calle Vitoria- Gateriz just down below the albergue one street over to the right . There are several physio near by along with a post office, restaurants, and supermarket basically down below the albergue. There is a kitchen in the albergue. the albergue has 2 names— la Serena/ Ondaretta youth hostels so just be aware also bare in mind with the weather being warm some accommodations along the coast may fill up faster... I looked at booking last night and quite a few places were already booked but feel free to call ...you never know

Attachments

• F72017F1-2AE8-4609-9EFC-7A61D8B563CC.jpeg
    F72017F1-2AE8-4609-9EFC-7A61D8B563CC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 5FC80C9A-10A1-4334-A57A-5732A558F317.jpeg
    5FC80C9A-10A1-4334-A57A-5732A558F317.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nice pictures. I wanted to take the upper route, but no sign there then, so I missed and walked the lower route.
Buen camino!

Nice pictures. I wanted to take the upper route, but no sign there then, so I missed and walked the lower route.
Buen camino!
I looked at it ,it looked at me, I looked away from it 🤣🤣🤣there was no way my knee could make it it doesn’t bend very well.. lack of control when it does bend or get overly stressed so I didn’t want it take the chance but the low route was not lacking either. By the end of the day the German ladies and I all had trembling legs .. i was deathly afraid going down into Pasajes. But I made it 😃👍🏼

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Check out Omoperc.com
Short climb to santuary guadualupe reminiscent of Zubiri but not too bad nice view from here keep to the left of the church as you continue on you will see where the split occurs see in the second set of pictures below
View attachment 54047
View attachment 54048

Many know of the high route but have you seen it ? Well here it is? I can tell you it’s a bit of a scramble ..on your hands on knees straight up but I would not know I dared not chance it my knee issues are severe I took the low route. I suspect it’s called Jaiskibel for a reason😳
View attachment 54043
View attachment 54044

What about the low route? Has some rocky challenges and in wet weather would be slippery but little elevation issues..
View attachment 54045
View attachment 54046

Rest of the way when you get to the main road to Pasajes is concrete uphill along the side of the highway on a small walk track very scary sometimes on an angle on the hillside then down very steep windy concrete road. the sign on the mountain will show 3.4 km but looks to be more. All concrete ...
Until you reach Pasajes de San Juan on a hill side ...no kitchen.lovely hospitelero.. all supplies down the hill. Except the albergue offers bottled water, coke, acquarius for sale.
View attachment 54049
View attachment 54050

I can’t offer much to San Sebastián as I had to take to bus to the edge of the city to avoid the hill. I walked the rest of the way Down the la concha beach to the albergue la Serena. It’s at the end of beach, follow the bike path to the end then go to the left up the hill. The Wise pilgrim off line map offered here by the name camino places works great ! I had to find a physio. I can recommend CEK osteopath and physio on Calle Vitoria- Gateriz just down below the albergue one street over to the right . There are several physio near by along with a post office, restaurants, and supermarket basically down below the albergue. There is a kitchen in the albergue. the albergue has 2 names— la Serena/ Ondaretta youth hostels so just be aware also bare in mind with the weather being warm some accommodations along the coast may fill up faster... I looked at booking last night and quite a few places were already booked but feel free to call ...you never know
Thank, this was helpful! I’ll be starting the Norte in late August.

Stay the night in Pasajes. It's gorgeous. There's amazing grilled fish at the end of the bay. The albergue is cozy and charming with a breathtaking view. The next day you can take the long route up the rocky stairs and over the mountain and arrive in time for lunch in San Sebastian. Heaven!

Stay the night in Pasajes. It's gorgeous. There's amazing grilled fish at the end of the bay. The albergue is cozy and charming with a breathtaking view. The next day you can take the long route up the rocky stairs and over the mountain and arrive in time for lunch in San Sebastian. Heaven!
Yes agree Pasajes was lovely. Legs were too tired to go down the hill. But I agree sunset and grilled fish in Pasajes beautiful. San Sebastián for lunch is a nice idea👍🏼

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the pictures. I walked this last May 14 and it was raining and so muddy I knew I would drown if I fell down. Never so happy for a road to end when I got down to the bay. It was still fun. And the walk up to the Jesus statue in San Sebastián was wonderful. D00A8A14-DCB5-4358-B886-B6E1DD8423B1.jpeg16170CAC-4C3E-4971-9C7C-E91E7BCACA38.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures. I walked this last May 14 and it was raining and so muddy I knew I would drown if I fell down. Never so happy for a road to end when I got down to the bay. It was still fun. And the walk up to the Jesus statue in San Sebastián was wonderful. View attachment 54113View attachment 54114
Wow I can’t imagine that trail being wet ! ..I felt the same sentiment being dry and hot .

I remember we apoarently took a wrong turn and were on the Alpinista route. I thought I was going to die of sunstroke. So exhausting. No room at the inn until the lovely hostelero took pity on us. He made space and people bunked up. What an experience so early on the journey but definitely worth it . Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another sunny day today and pretty warm. Starts out cool and heats up pretty fast. I heard there might be rain next week ...I’m having mixed feelings about that. I stayed in a new hostel Blai Blai. Really nice little place just parallel to the beach under the cafeteria Euromar . Very clean comfortable with some handicap accessibility and the host is super helpful but you will need to reserve by calling or using booking.com this my second day here.
97ED6A2C-8E8A-42B8-9CCB-6A55E251BE19.jpeg
. Yesterday I hiked the length of the beach and backwards off the camino up along the ridge a million steps and enjoyed the view.
2E3BF28B-6CA0-4F41-8426-183F015D5998.jpeg
26AD183A-AD8C-44B5-9371-F8CE9F625FB4.jpeg
12CE90E8-0B95-4BE7-838B-A413D285492A.jpeg
Today I walked from Zarautz to Getaria and back to my hostel contemplating the high route tomorrow. My heel spur started hurting after 10 km sue to too much concrete. But will taped it up and stretch/massage it everyday. It’s swollen but not too bad lots of concrete along the stretch just be aware

EDF68E67-306D-4031-BA2D-AFF568B78ACB.jpeg
D58129E3-ADD7-4D5C-901D-8BF805F710B0.jpeg
191B7197-241A-409D-AA45-AB3405EDC494.jpeg
AF1BF7CE-223D-4424-B7B6-4DA4A47ED72C.jpeg
Tip. Try not be in a hurry and Don’t miss this area it’s very nice...nice beach and board walk area to sit , stare, relax or contemplate.

‼⚠ If you plan to walk to Geteria via the coast walk be aware a portion of the walkway along the ocean is under construction you will have to hop over onto the highway pass the obstruction then hop back over
59D9FF71-1B43-4875-B008-8DBF396C5C00.jpeg
Carry lots of water and sun protection.

‼⚠ Also be aware posted in anothe post ...I met a Dutch pilgrim yesterday who met a European viper (poisonous snake ) along the trail from San Sebastián to Zarautz. He stopped to take a pix thinking the snake was harmless.... we looked it up and it was indeed venomous. Please be careful.

Heading to Zumaria tomorrow to Albergue Klara an eco farm/albergue.

Attachments

• 337A3E89-EABF-4132-9C3D-20F5BC2640B5.jpeg
    337A3E89-EABF-4132-9C3D-20F5BC2640B5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
After consultation with @Iriebabel, I have merged the two live threads into one. Having an entire camino reported on one thread makes it so much easier for people to follow, especially after the fact when people are looking for what were once live reports. Any of us following along will jump right to the new post, so I hope this is ok with everyone.

Loving your posts, buen camino. Laurie

Gorgeous, @Iriebabel. Many thanks for sharing...
I hope the weather gods continue to smile on you and the heel spur stays nice and quiet!

Zumaia is famous, if you like rocks - it's part of the Basque Coast Geopark:
"[Zumaia] has two beaches (Itzurun and Santiago), which are of interest to geologists because they are situated among the longest set of continuous rock strata in the world. Known locally as the "flysch" they date from the mid-cretaceous period to the present, a time period of over 100 million years. The K-T boundary is present at the Itzurun beach, and fossils can be found, notably of ammonites. The strata stretches along a distance of about 8 km, between the towns/beaches of Deba and Getaria, with Zumaia lying in the middle."

(Quoted text From Wikipedia, image below from https://www.geo.vu.nl/~smit/biscaye/zumaya/zumaya4000_75.jpg)

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Check out Omoperc.com
View attachment 54047
View attachment 54048

View attachment 54043
View attachment 54044

View attachment 54045
View attachment 54046

View attachment 54049
View attachment 54050

Taking the low route was about the fastest and easiest decision I ever made. Maybe because I am older that first day to me was tougher for me than the first day out of St. Jean.

Yes agree Pasajes was lovely. Legs were too tired to go down the hill. But I agree sunset and grilled fish in Pasajes beautiful. San Sebastián for lunch is a nice idea👍🏼
I walked all the way to San Sebastian. Uggg I thought I would die. But having ice cream at Gelateria Boulevard made me forget the pain of that first walk. The hill down from Pasajes if it is raining is the reason you need poles for this Camino. Just one of about a million times you will need them if you are an old fart like me especially.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hope the weather gods continue to smile on you and the heel spur stays nice and quiet!

"[Zumaia] has two beaches (Itzurun and Santiago), which are of interest to geologists because they are situated among the longest set of continuous rock strata in the world. Known locally as the "flysch" they date from the mid-cretaceous period to the present, a time period of over 100 million years. The K-T boundary is present at the Itzurun beach, and fossils can be found, notably of ammonites. The strata stretches along a distance of about 8 km, between the towns/beaches of Deba and Getaria, with Zumaia lying in the middle."

(Quoted text From Wikipedia, image below from https://www.geo.vu.nl/~smit/biscaye/zumaya/zumaya4000_75.jpg)

View attachment 54186
Yes and I missed it 😭 it was raining and myself and 2 German pilgrims were heading for the only open albergue high on the hill above. Too tired to go back down. See the post in as to the walk

Omg yes
Taking the low route was about the fastest and easiest decision I ever made. Maybe because I am older that first day to me was tougher for me than the first day out of St. Jean.
it was not easy towards the end.. at first looked like it wasn’t bad then the endless steep concrete hills...legs were jelly. And i’m No spring chicken🤣 either..with multiple physical injuries.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
View attachment A09D759A-96A5-45A1-8402-A7AF25B42CC9.MOV
So here is the latest Zarautz to Zamara the high red dotted route on the GR —- getting to Getaria is easy by the coast just follow the beach. But if you want a hike follow the camino up out of Zarautz . Follow the main road Turn left at the church there is an arrow it will take you to the end of town with a couple small turns. Cross the main road then climb the metal stairs going up follow the camino signs . Up up and up the wet cobble Stones 5428554283 itvrained most of the day and will rain rest of this week I think. Did I complain about sun 😜 it actually felt good except for the clay mud..lots of it is rained all day .
Yeah it got worse that’s nor dirt it’s clay... now 2 different colors.
Very beautiful views..of the mountains not so much my HOKAs.

No one in sight just me ..longer than camino route but nice views. Lots of ups and downs but not too bad if not for the mud...projected to rain rest of the week. Below is the view from albergue and eco farm Santa Klara high above Zumara ....highly recommended if you can make it Up that hill tired. the convent albergue is not open. It’s quite a hill ...by that I meant hell, even the 2 Germans who found sanctuary here with me agreed.... they planned to stay in town but unwilling to pay the high cost of hotel so they came with me to the albergue. A bonus for the next mornings walk to Deba .. I didn’t have to go up that hill ...problem no food for dinner but the owners will gladly take you into town. They offer breakfast and she did my laundry for me. One of the pilgrims , Peter went back down and he made us 3 a lovely spaghetti.

Last edited:
Zumara to Deba I missed the coast Ruta de flysch due to climbing the hill to the albergue but no matter nice day today. Bad WiFi last night and slow speed and exhaustion today. so I will update my blog at omoperc.com , taking a rest day . Just wanted to let you guys know how it went today

Ok onwards down to the gate turn right half the hill gone 4km to the nexxt turn off on the GR at Elloriaga

Just after the lovely rest area that you despirately needed— toilets and picnic benches you’ll see the turn off to the right forvDeba but be prepared and ‼️⚠️not on a rainy day....⚠️‼️ Hills are ultra steep and as amazing as the sea views and stone formations appararantly I became a mountain goat today

many other pilgrims on the trail?
[/QUOTE

No not many most I see is 2-3 today I saw 5 total . Met germans, one from Latvia , French .. lots of Spanish and French day hill walkers. Albergue empty and some closed I’ve been staying in either private albergue or pensions. Not that I can afford it but battling this heel spur, knee injuries I just need comfort

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 54186
Caught some of it today closer to Deba on the GR

Sorry folks. Been having some equipment difficulty lately. Definitely recommend the Casa rural in Markena ...amazing place helpful and lovely family Casa rural/Albergue Intxauspe.
Slow to no WiFi in some places and cyborg turtle (my knee brace )strap broke on the way down hill from the monastery into Monitibar thank goodness the Casa Rural Garro was right below the steps. I was literally was about to walk by it . It’s the first house you see below the wooden steps about 1 km from the town. Conditions not bad. Raining on and off temperatures ranging between 9-15 between Markena to Bilboa. Pictures below. And check my blog omoperc.com for updates.E870FE7C-D463-44CF-A8CD-C7CAA288C795.jpeg4B728B4B-C2FB-47D8-903B-45B47DF1E179.jpeg4367A279-4FDF-4BA9-BAB4-EA494645D851.jpeg2107B758-71B8-4281-B720-6A84A9ABDC5C.jpeg395908F8-B156-44AC-A0BE-A671324B6229.jpegD61CEC16-0E14-403E-8103-179DD3B25936.jpegC1AF50C8-C7A6-4F2A-8705-1BDD0268F97B.jpeg74843236-3A2F-45C1-8761-1E02FDA8D55C.jpegCD488672-AD58-4329-A928-B0951F90F8EB.jpeg

The picture with the hill is the rout up to the monestery where the monks make the beer. Not too bad nice views of the countryside. In monitibar, The owner of Casa rural Garro is an ex jai Lai player apparently famous and also a famous artist. I had reservations with him. Nice place was empty except for me. He was very kind and drove me down to town for dinner. I walked the 1km back uphill. The town of Minitibar is small but lovely people I had local food at small bar and due to the brace issue I did a macgyver and walked back down to the town just below took the bus the next morning to Gernika another nice town famous for a Picasso mural on the street. .the town square ..you see in the picture with the fountain. Requiring a better fix I had to take the bus again to Bilboa found a place in the city Ortosport Orthopedia , just the other side from plaza mayor who not only fixed my brace for 15 euros gave me extra straps and supplies. ..tomorrow onwards to portegalete 3 options here I take the flat one lol, where we test out this new fix for cyborg turtle ...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bilboa to Portugulete And the skies open up this afternoon with heavy rains, lightening and thunder. This morning was beautiful.. decided to take the 3rd option about 12 or 13 km other side of the river straight shot except for the road Construction. I crossed just below the Guggenheim. I included pix with the arrows in the some construction area so you can see. The 2nd option is about the same except it is in the left side of the river same distance and also flat.. tarmac and I think it follows the Train tracks. In the right side the side I chose The way is well marked with arrows on street posts and alone sidewalks... follow the river. Lots of industrial area and tarmac, you definately could skip it but then you’d miss the beautiful UNESCO bridge. Couple options to go across. Take a small ferry, take the bridge ferry ( a marvel) holds cars and people DA889096-3A21-41F6-B2FE-14C0DEEAA187.jpegC3149EFC-7E59-46C7-BD38-273BFC81FC4B.jpeg14BD219A-25F7-4752-A8CD-5B7E04436DAC.jpeg686B13C1-5232-4295-85D1-E1D51988EEC5.jpeg864403B3-A8DA-4A66-8F98-50666FFE2B44.jpegFBF3984F-D5B1-40AB-819A-96D86DEB19A4.jpegB52C2952-06F7-4E73-9FB1-9D52043E34DD.jpegB0594E98-CAE9-480C-A1FA-91616AC2C6FA.jpeg6D3FAEEF-B9A9-47A1-AC6E-731275E5638B.jpeg62E2DE6C-BECD-417D-9F20-6368B3B15412.jpeg .45 euros to cross so I took this option by using the kiosk To pay very nice or take the elevator and walk across the bridge not sure if you pay to walk. Lovely little town.

Last edited:
Zumara to Deba I missed the coast Ruta de flysch due to climbing the hill to the albergue but no matter nice day today. Bad WiFi last night and slow speed and exhaustion today. so I will update my blog at omoperc.com , taking a rest day . Just wanted to let you guys know how it went today
View attachment 54310

Ok onwards down to the gate turn right half the hill gone 4km to the nexxt turn off on the GR at Elloriaga

View attachment 54311
Just after the lovely rest area that you despirately needed— toilets and picnic benches you’ll see the turn off to the right forvDeba but be prepared and ‼⚠not on a rainy day....⚠‼ Hills are ultra steep and as amazing as the sea views and stone formations appararantly I became a mountain goat today
View attachment 54314
View attachment 54315
View attachment 54316
View attachment 54317

View attachment 54321
View attachment 54322
@Iriebabel You are making think to walk the Camino del Norte again. Wonderful post and photos. Buen Camino! :)

I
@Iriebabel You are making think to walk the Camino del Norte again. Wonderful post and photos. Buen Camino! :)
It is beautiful ..hard going but I feel great know I can accomplish this with a huge knee brace heel spurs and other issues. If this is the Camino that calls to you then I say do it .. it’s moves your soul. 😃 You can read more on my blog at omoperc.com and also my Camino frances .. i think in your heart you are already on the Camino Norte 🙂

Last edited:
This terrain looks like Colorado!
Yes it’s similar lately more rain I think will be warmer when you start and more pilgrims. Check out the coastal alternatives to keep you off the tarmac. Wise pilgrim app shows them also

I remember so many of those photos especially from Bilboa and the walk out of Bilboa early in the morning.
I took a rest day in Bilboa so I could see the Museum the next day. I arrived in Bilboa on a tired and rainy Sunday afternoon, I said I will rest today and go to the museum tomorrow and see the sites and relax. Unfortunately I had my Camino brain and completely lost track of what day it was. Woke up and had breakfast and went to the museum. CLOSED!!!!! It was Monday. Everything in town was CLOSED!!!!! Uggggg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I remember so many of those photos especially from Bilboa and the walk out of Bilboa early in the morning.
I took a rest day in Bilboa so I could see the Museum the next day. I arrived in Bilboa on a tired and rainy Sunday afternoon, I said I will rest today and go to the museum tomorrow and see the sites and relax. Unfortunately I had my Camino brain and completely lost track of what day it was. Woke up and had breakfast and went to the museum. CLOSED!!!!! It was Monday. Everything in town was CLOSED!!!!! Uggggg
Yes i forget sometimes even in a city that they close down everything 🤣

I’m in Laredo still... but not complaining. rain yesterday but today sunny and beautiful. I caught a slight cold virus, my back was killing me, I had no energy and no appetite I’m felling better after sleeping for 48 hrs straight and tynelol cold day and night pills.. Lot of pavement now even thru the beach towns or you can take your shoes on and walk along the beach on the sand. the arrows are along the pedestrian walk to the end of the beach then catch the ferry to Santona. I think this is another area where the coastal alternatives take you thru Santander all the way To Boo and beyond. Easter week next week I already reserved and lots of places were booked already. Prices are high in Santander. I will take a detour to tour the pecos, Santo Toribio and Potes. I am looking forward to this.B21873F8-D2D9-44F5-BE4F-45E69924A4E6.jpeg130BBE4D-4351-466D-877C-B5F2567676F0.jpeg7731B2A1-1D1E-4A81-A4F9-9D72CD1B9A80.jpeg9F9D6B4B-AE82-4D75-B0C9-BAD1E0992E82.jpeg63D048E9-1746-43E4-9F75-69BB47925C7B.jpeg3112130A-40DA-4727-A8C5-96086EFF04E9.jpegA5979C2F-72F0-4F1E-BBA5-37E53F318062.jpegAF9FF242-11F5-45EC-A342-87DCE730CC08.jpeg

Attachments

• 980F02F9-07C8-4700-99B4-901780A5E492.jpeg
    980F02F9-07C8-4700-99B4-901780A5E492.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 16570E08-0C9F-478A-9D0C-C6D5B0DF70B1.jpeg
    16570E08-0C9F-478A-9D0C-C6D5B0DF70B1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Santona just across the bay if you have time take the paseos de barco out of Laredo harbor takes an hour 10 euros round trip but 4 euros for pilgrim crossing one way but it goes by the lighthouse and gives a great coastal view before docking in Santona. One can actually take this route going above the lighthouse turning right from the Santona ferry then walking up over this mountain on your way to Santiago..3km as I was told over the mountain .more stenous yes but I’m sure fantastic views from above. See the photo from the surfer
That’s the opposite end of Laredo ..for the regular ferry (takes 5 or 10min) very end of the beach walk on the sand or follow the pedestrian walkway.
9164753D-3320-4A0F-ADFA-C17DDA9BA881.jpeg777640F3-2325-40CC-A085-4E6981E2C7C1.jpeg3F0E0703-C0F6-4E96-A8D8-2C34E5701BD6.jpegDFBFC5F1-E73B-493B-A4BA-8C2886D7753B.jpegADFDD83C-4606-404E-8E1E-68809513B59C.jpegF1065ED6-2715-4132-BF7A-6BE21767DCD7.jpegBCB7C3FE-BD51-4518-BAFB-BB93B03D5A3F.jpegBBC6C8AE-6364-48A0-B8C1-B89CB92B063A.jpeg1F551FBF-D2BE-403D-BBEE-DC73E7C17204.jpeg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
88204275-A9B5-447F-9868-2247330EF523.jpegB447A842-D292-42E8-B92F-B458998B1E34.jpeg77F87166-7D1E-416F-AF48-7B065DE62AF4.jpegECD390F4-DB00-46BE-98D8-656F566A87B7.jpeg0D7A6293-B013-43C1-8F8C-442824EE130A.jpeg99261EA3-A88F-4D19-B729-B23385FD1578.jpeg262BC415-1FBF-4152-B7D2-C9198141172F.jpegED394CA0-7E9F-4636-A78F-852228A0291C.jpeg62BD4B43-16CC-48D1-8012-3390E43BFCF7.jpeg8686B5AE-1473-4DAC-A5A0-7D32CDF354D2.jpegFrom Santona I didn’t see @nomadpack. If you are walking straight thru the center of town lots of arrows it’s all pavement except if you take the detour after Barria after the prison walk the cautionary hill goes off to the right. I did not do this due to my knee. But the turn off is clear .. I continued on the road left then after a few more km before Noya I took the alternative to the left straight to San Miguel de Mereulo lovely country roads no other pilgrim to be seen in face other than farmers in the garden I saw no one. Thru farms and small hamlets nice walk but hot humid day .im the only one in Hosteria Del Sol. Heelsperricus as u see in the pho is getting some TLC after a much needed shower , she is not happy but all is well I think the alternatives add a couple more kms but not bad.

@Iriebabel I salute you. Just that. Thanks for your posts, and I look forward to the rest of your camino.
Thanks I’m trying and doing good. Feel great after a rest in Laredo I had a cold virus aches all over I slept 48 hr straight with the cold medicine so much the hotel desk called up to see if I was ok and could clean the room 😂. Must have been the fish soup it was awesome made me feel all warm inside 😁.Felt great after that my appetite is back partially and my energy is definately back.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2C774833-77AC-4CAD-B049-2FB65F3241C8.jpeg54C26FD7-2006-4162-B5FF-CD0809BC342C.jpeg4E15FD63-E824-4EE8-AB90-EF47C90BBD4A.jpegE8F9B97A-EDE1-442F-8B05-805BA543C54A.jpegB31B830F-C9EE-4313-A37C-A7D968BF7FC4.jpeg8361ECC3-9D77-43E4-BEE1-21361D7A1137.jpeg985A9E03-5C78-4B7E-A336-7A7D8C29AABD.jpeg51144E31-6FC2-4E46-9122-43250599A74D.jpeg28E1BE50-2EC9-4DB0-95CA-350C3C83E5C2.jpeg
San Miguel de Mereulo to Galizano so much pavement . You could skip ahead to Santander but nice valley and high views along the way .

Was it worth it? No not really walked down to the valley then up to a small village then up again to Guemes. No coffee this morning or breakfast everything closed so I was excited some 10 km later took the detour into town expecting cafe. Both bars closed and more pavement going up and down a winding main road not too busy but be careful with the cars zipping up around the blind curves. And I had to pee😱even before Guemes omg no place to go 3km later Then yes Galizano I could see the town and the ocean and Santander in the distance. Down hill I found a bakery /coffee yes bathroom and cold drink it’s hot folks! Then I saw it 2C774833-77AC-4CAD-B049-2FB65F3241C8.jpeg54C26FD7-2006-4162-B5FF-CD0809BC342C.jpeg4E15FD63-E824-4EE8-AB90-EF47C90BBD4A.jpegE8F9B97A-EDE1-442F-8B05-805BA543C54A.jpegB31B830F-C9EE-4313-A37C-A7D968BF7FC4.jpeg8361ECC3-9D77-43E4-BEE1-21361D7A1137.jpeg985A9E03-5C78-4B7E-A336-7A7D8C29AABD.jpeg51144E31-6FC2-4E46-9122-43250599A74D.jpeg

Nice hotel palacio de torre and omg my room had a giant spa tub for 63 euros I may never leave 🤣. the heelsperricus is fighting back today she agrees no mas... walking but spa tub oh yes! Only 14 km could I go further oh yes my body could ...I wish, it’s too early to stop but not heelsperricus ...I can barely walk now best to listen to the feet ...,

Last edited:
Today was a beautiful day to walk . Again no cafes open everything closed in Galizano. No bathrooms until Somo. Temperature was great overcast skies the walk from Galizano to Santander was wonderful along the cliffs and the beach in to Somo. Once on Somo beach follow the signs up off the beach to the left then to the right and follow the sidewalk around to the ferry. The ferry had a sign due to low water it wasn’t running but surprise when it showed up 😱😊otherwise I would have to walk across the bridge to the 2 white buildings on the other side to catch the ferry at the next stop. A short ride but nice . views of the route below .saw maybe 8 pilgrims as I hit Somo beach to the ferry . 4 Spanish British 1 Korean and 1 Austrian. Tomorrow rain but I have a 12 hr tour to Santo Toribio. And Pecos Europa and Potes

FECD14B9-B969-4CAD-8939-BDD8B5E31D2C.jpeg64C29A60-D46B-4E83-ACB7-3A6FD27936A1.jpegB7120E86-08DC-42CF-B0A2-768CDAC279EC.jpegD778B41E-0859-4A96-A0BD-10785ED58F7B.jpegE88F875E-FE01-4BA6-8715-7E739AADADB7.jpeg70BDD8C1-4888-4FE2-8489-8DC87B083AB8.jpeg08E08E79-A539-41AF-B7A9-F896EEF09E1F.jpeg3D9EA3A8-0FC0-4DF5-BF0B-2A091943B1FF.jpeg6D5ED10F-41D6-4C6E-B06B-231E3D1C0279.jpeg355C57D3-5A2B-4633-BED1-EBB43DAE20B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Check out Omoperc.com
View attachment 54047
View attachment 54048

View attachment 54043
View attachment 54044

View attachment 54045
View attachment 54046

View attachment 54049
View attachment 54050

How on earth could I miss that you are on Camino? You are a great inspiration for me. Now I will catch up, reading and looking at your pictures. ☺ Buen Camino.

How on earth could I miss that you are on Camino? You are a great inspiration for me. Now I will catch up, reading and looking at your pictures. ☺ Buen Camino.
Thank you 😊. I’m taking you with me 😂 I have good WiFi today and next 2 days hope to get the blog updated

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A nice day yesterday touring Pecos de Europa , the Santo Toribio , the soplao cave , Potes and the sourrounding area. My guide Gabriela Mayans From Exploring Cantabria picked me up from my hotel in Santander and we set out to explore the day returning at 7pm to catch the Easter processions but unfortunately they were cancelled due to rain. I did see the floats which were on display in a temporary pavilion just outside the main square. The morning was cloudy but later in the afternoon fog on the mountain and rain.

I was able to go to the monastery of Santo Torbina and hoping to catch the 12pm mass but it was closed
This today was Thursday the official Easter bank holiday along with Friday . However Gabriella spoke to the caretakes and they opened the chapel just for me. I wasn’t able to touch the cross but I was sitting on the pew directly in front of it given 5 minutes in the chapel I was in tears as I sat and prayed. I am extremely grateful.... an amazing experience. To make it even better. I received my sello (stamp) and received a Compostella..😱😊. I highly recommend this camino Liébana or if you wish take the tour offered by Grabriella and Explore Canteberia. I was not able to take pix in the soplao caves because it’s forbidden but take my word...wow👍🏼 Just for @Anamya here are pictures
D4FCA561-F3AC-478F-B407-1D14F80738A6.jpegFA145EBA-71A3-456E-9C63-DB2890D81758.jpegB6EE9D57-F290-4199-BFC4-07C308E027F3.jpeg7DB6BF25-AAB6-4690-A2B2-B8D542A364BC.jpeg0C96D49F-100A-417A-B2F5-031AA988BDD3.jpeg9FC456A3-3629-401B-962B-1F4B2F1E598D.jpeg210203B4-0D1E-49C5-9574-3582AAC044AC.jpeg7D17811E-800B-4144-BF19-954B548F4B33.jpeg7426F319-6E5B-4194-B12B-F49D5EF081A2.jpeg8E4E67FF-203F-487D-A88E-6163298EC527.jpeg

Last edited:
Catching up what I missed and noticed this:
you can take your shoes on and walk along the beach on the sand.
...along with obsessed domestic Border Collies.
They obviously speak the same eye language in Spain too: "THROWtheBALLTHROWtheBALLTHROWtheBALL..."🤣

So enjoying following your walk, @Iriebabel!

Catching up what I missed and noticed this:

...along with obsessed domestic Border Collies.
They obviously speak the same eye language in Spain too: "THROWtheBALLTHROWtheBALLTHROWtheBALL..."🤣

So enjoying following your walk, @Iriebabel!

I know right? .. my arm got tired🤣. This dog had so much energy he was running g up and down the beach In The water the. Asked me to throw 😅

Give that poor dog a herd of sheep and he'll be much happier.
I had a Border Collie once who suddenly went deaf because we were running past a tennis court where there was a lesson going on with one of those tennis ball throwing machines...and the door was open.
🤣🤣🤣

I walked Bilbao to Santander last june and Irun to Pobena in September. The first 5 days from Irun were what I always dreamed the Camino to be. Back end of May this year for 14 days from Santander onwards.
Thank, this was helpful! I’ll be starting the Norte in late August.

Iriebabel, I am exhausted just reading, so I might have to rethink a possible few days on the Norte! Sounds beyond my hill climbing will power. Later today I will catch up with your latest blog posts. I had really not noticed those - for some reason I had just seen your photos. You sure are doing well. Aupa!

Iriebabel, I am exhausted just reading, so I might have to rethink a possible few days on the Norte! Sounds beyond my hill climbing will power. Later today I will catch up with your latest blog posts. I had really not noticed those - for some reason I had just seen your photos. You sure are doing well. Aupa!
Thanks so much @kirkie it’s been an experience for sure love it 😍 ! Even though the heel spur is hurting sometimes I’m not bothered I just lean to take a break and not worry.. a priceless experience I would recommend the Norte for sure.... even with the concrete 😂. I doubted I could do the hills also but I just walk less km perday so I give myself extra time and I did it, doing it will do it . It’s not as bad as I thought just take it slow, if you are not ina rush for time it’s so much better and you see so much more. today im in Santinillana Del Mar wow what an amazing town ... really a gem not to be missed. I’m am truly blessed

More road walking. Boo is a small town not much here except the Albergue Piedad has a lovely terrace to stretch out and fall asleep on a sunny afternoon. Great dinner and lovely hospiteleros with a sense of humor. The train station is just down from the albergue. Take it to the next sop. If you need to you can take further to puente San Miguel and catch a bus or taxi or walk the 4 km to Santillana.

Seeing more pilgrims now probably 5-10 perday walking together but I quickly loose them as I’m taking it easy and walking slower. No bother I’m enjoying the sceanery .

Santillana Del Mar a medieval town .. very historic and the church has some Roman cloisters you can see. No pictures allowed but 3 euros gets you into the church and the cloisters but the narration on the speakers are in Spanish. This town is a must stop although for Easter was very crowded with tourist. Lots of souvenir shops too. Got a stamp At The tourist office In The center of town.. below the Camino route. all cobblestone streets here and some buildings. 2965BAAA-3EEE-4329-80A9-B5AFBCDE02CC.jpegE7B20DF9-5D36-45FA-8F28-C2F6DEAD0DE7.jpeg018612F4-953A-43A9-8634-69CFE18F26ED.jpegAD024354-CDD4-4948-838F-36E4CA8DA087.jpegFBFBBEDF-5046-448C-B933-68BFF1E76165.jpeg125E9575-8983-4F10-A5EB-104A88FA91A7.jpegAB1DF83A-3E3E-4E35-9D98-53183D59D2F6.jpeg3C9683D1-BD31-4A23-9765-9A652523B056.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi. Im staying in mentioned Alberque on May 29th. Can I ask you, did you walk across the bridge from Boo to Mogro?? I walked from Irun to Santander last year and prefer to walk all stages but obviously would prefer not to have to walk the extended look around Puente Arc. P.s Im extremely enjoying our posts thus far. Thank you

Hi. Im staying in mentioned Alberque on May 29th. Can I ask you, did you walk across the bridge from Boo to Mogro?? I walked from Irun to Santander last year and prefer to walk all stages but obviously would prefer not to have to walk the extended look around Puente Arc. P.s Im extremely enjoying our posts thus far. Thank you
You should take the train one stop to Mogro then start walking. it’s not allowed to cross the bridge on foot however there is an alternate route I understand that take you away from the bridge but it is a long way around. There are arrows just above the albergue to the left side. The train is directly below the albergue you can see what looks like a church tower in the first picture that’s the train station. i included the schedule in the third picture

You should take the train one stop to Mogro then start walking. it’s not allowed to cross the bridge on foot however there is an alternate route I understand that take you away from the bridge but it is a long way around. There are arrows just above the albergue to the left side. The train is directly below the albergue you can see what looks like a church tower in the first picture that’s the train station. i included the schedule in the third picture
Thanks so much. Keep up the good work

I forgot to mention if you want a private room at the Boo albergue you will need to call ahead to make a reservation. It’s a Private room but with a shared bathroom.

Took the bus to llanes and got physio who told me time to stop walking so I heeded the warning . My Foot heel spurricus is really inflamed now backnof the heel is hurting so best to stop. Now I’m officially a tourigrino. Was in Llanes yesterday what a beautiful little town. I didn’t see nomad pack The weather is great now between 19-22 C in the day and of course cool mornings .. I was able to walk along the cliffs 10 km off the Camino before I got hungry and decided to turn back. Foot still swollen an some sharp pains but walking on grass was way better. Still a lot of concrete so I’m not so sad to stop walking. You can read more of my adventure on my blog omoperc.com and see more pictures 48369471-285A-4981-8D4D-D8418ABA7A34.jpeg5737EE65-F7D9-4DB3-85AB-CF872B686210.jpeg9AA4B305-7540-42C8-8C1B-38EBF8831DF5.jpegF1D2DC87-0EA6-4F2D-A560-3E32E1EE0BCF.jpeg

equally nice is San Vincente De la Barquera. Which is before Llanes ...

CB126261-F45F-494A-83EB-7573D537C113.jpegABA54644-6FD2-490A-87F7-AECA294EC2FA.jpeg61F1D1B3-4A7C-423F-9ED0-0029B7201884.jpeg
90C558DD-0D31-490A-9911-2931EE9FAF4C.jpeg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Iriebabel,
So sorry to hear of your heel problem, but my first Norte did me in as well and I wound up with tarsal tunnel as well as a heel spur. I don’t know if you wear orthotics in your shoes, but the main culprit for me was the quantity of asphalt road walking combined with a hard plastic orthotic in my shoes.

Fast forward about ten years for my second Norte, and I found that the silicone orthotics plus all the off-road coastal alternatives solved my problem. Hope you find a solution as well.

But having time to be a tourigrino is not such a bad alternative. Take care of yourself, buencamino, Laurie

Thank you well I had it before I left home so I’m not surprised. I had the 2 plasma injection. And they worked I think I was just being stubborn so rather than pushing I decided after more than 300 km there is always next year. The foot doctor at home has converted me to berkenstocks so now I own 4 pairs because I can’t wear any other open shoe. The Hokas work well and I am using the superfeet orange insoles . I had the gel inserts and it rubbed on the side of my heel Giving me a blister so I threw them in the trash . The orange inserts are ok and I use mole skin and physio tape to give some padding seems to work but just too much concrete . I don’t think I could have gone that far without the Hoka tors The pounding is not worth loosing my feet over it so now I’m doing some wonderful day hikes. Today the bufones near ribedasella but the tide was lo so no bufones 🤣. Still a wonderful day I think I’m almost happier hiking off the Camino lol 😂 I will be back to the podiatry surgery unit when I get back so no worries I’m enjoying my torigrino status .

I am so keen to do the Norte in Spring after seeing your magnificent photos. i hope you "heel" quickly!
Yes thanks and the views are amazing and since I’m having foot trouble it’s a blessing in disguise because I’ve been taking alternatives and traveling off the beaten path. They Norte is definately nothing like the Camino Frances. One cannot compare the two. Just enjoy it for what it is Beautiful and amazingly fantastic. Haha 😆 I saw your pun “heel “ quickly 🤣🤣

Last edited:
So today Ribadesella I’m staying at a marvelous casa rural Bajo Los Tilos ... did I say marvelous ... amazing fantastic stupendous. I took a drive into town then down to the bufones but as I said previously water was low so no blow holes were blowing ... but beautiful views if you have a chance to go off Camino to see the area.

F45049F5-9C0E-4D7C-A460-1F4ECFD1D219.jpeg8870E438-D1EB-40B2-9CB1-808EC2A64B9B.jpeg96C5D073-2352-4DB8-89B9-7270CD44295A.jpeg369EC54E-87F4-433A-95D1-A4383629E14D.jpegF3F868EE-D694-4664-A57A-7B6EF4A0C015.jpegFB193997-83AD-4D0F-8E9A-5E2DBE31560F.jpeg4BAC2212-AB42-4C17-9099-4AD63F777CAE.jpeg4B427F97-897F-458F-B673-745E834CEF6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice pictures. I wanted to take the upper route, but no sign there then, so I missed and walked the lower r
Buen camino!
Hi. There is usually a well marked sign for the higher route. To all concerned please do not be put off by the scramble up the hill. This is not the case. It is steep but nothing out of the ordinary. No need for crawling on hands and knees. Just walk up and see for yourselves. That being said I believe the lower route is also quite beautiful but thats not from experience but from reading other threads.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.