• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irish Camino to Camino Frances?

valeriekelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Where would I fly into to begin the Camino Frances if I am departing from Ireland? After a life in America, I will be bringing my parents home to Ireland as their final resting place. In their honor, I will start my Camino in Bray to St. James Gate in Dublin. After that, I would like to start the French way, but not sure of the best way to get there. As this will be my very first Camino and solo adventure, I can use all the help I can get. Any hints will be greatly appreciated! Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I'd say from that final resting place.

Then there's a choice, depending the length of the Camino you'd want.

Walk to the ferry port ; then travel from there to the British or French port you'd think most appropriate ; though that might end up being Roscoff or Cherbourg, as Bordeaux has long ceased being a passenger port for travellers from Ireland.

Else to Bilbao, then make your Way from there to the Francès.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As there are few flights at the moment it is difficult to check on which airlines fly to Biarritz but if you can get one from Dublin then that is the one I would choose then get a shared taxi to St. Jean or get the bus/train.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@valeriekelly , welcome to the Forum. www.rome2rio.com is an excellent source of travel information (though always buy your flight from the airline & not the secondaries).

An easy route would be fly Dublin to Bordeaux, train to Bayonne & St Jean. That's assuming you want to walk from St Jean on the modern classic Camino Frances.
Agree thoroughly with this as its the route I use myself, clutching the Brierly of course :)

Buen camino lady!

Samarkand.

Where would I fly into to begin the Camino Frances if I am departing from Ireland? After a life in America, I will be bringing my parents home to Ireland as their final resting place. In their honor, I will start my Camino in Bray to St. James Gate in Dublin. After that, I would like to start the French way, but not sure of the best way to get there. As this will be my very first Camino and solo adventure, I can use all the help I can get. Any hints will be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Hello coming from someone also with Irish in me and living in the US.
the two airports I look at for the start of the French Way in Saint Jean de Port is either Biarritz airport in France and just over the river in Spain is San Sebastian airport. Currently for me coming from US, San Sebastian is cheaper. Funny thing is a couple years ago I had Biarritz airport scheduled and the airlines changed my flight to San Sebastián. It worked out just fine. Biarritz may be a little easier with train connections. San Sebastián, i wouldn’t hesitate to use myself. I can’t wait to go, hoping August early September. Pray for Spain with more Vaccine’s, so that they’ll feel better letting us in, in help to add circulate money into local economies.

Of course I am assuming you want to start in Saint Jean de Port in France. Biarritz and San Sebastián Airports would be 2 good airports to choose.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
the two airports I look at for the start of the French Way in Saint Jean de Port is either Biarritz airport in France and just over the river in Spain is San Sebastian airport. Currently for me coming from US, San Sebastian is cheaper. Funny thing is a couple years ago I had Biarritz airport scheduled and the airlines changed my flight to San Sebastián. It worked out just fine. Biarritz may be a little easier with train connections. San Sebastián, i wouldn’t hesitate to use myself. I can’t wait to go, hoping August early September. Pray for Spain with more Vaccine’s, so that they’ll feel better letting us in, in help to add circulate money into local economies.
I really like San Sebastian as a place in its own right. The tapas are wonderful :)

Enjoy and buen camino!

Samarkand.

@valeriekelly , welcome to the Forum. www.rome2rio.com is an excellent source of travel information (though always buy your flight from the airline & not the secondaries).

An easy route would be fly Dublin to Bordeaux, train to Bayonne & St Jean. That's assuming you want to walk from St Jean on the modern classic Camino Frances.
Yes I do! The Camino Frances is my first trek, and I would like to include Finisterre and Muxia. Thank you for the welcome Tincatinker, and the travel site source. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't have anything additional to add to the Ireland to Spain travel options, however just wanted to say that the walk from Bray into Dublin is beautiful! And very easy to make your way to Bray on the train.

Last edited:
Well, I'd say from that final resting place.

Then there's a choice, depending the length of the Camino you'd want.

Walk to the ferry port ; then travel from there to the British or French port you'd think most appropriate ; though that might end up being Roscoff or Cherbourg, as Bordeaux has long ceased being a passenger port for travellers from Ireland.

Else to Bilbao, then make your Way from there to the Francès.
Thank you JabbaPapa! This gives me quite a few options to look into. Buen Camino!

I don't have anything additional to add to the Ireland to Spain, however just wanted to say that the walk from Bray into Dublin is beautiful! And very easy to make your way to Bray on the train.
Thank you NiniSum! I am so excited to start my journey there. My parents were from Dublin, and my grandmother lived in Bray so I will carry their memories along the path with me. My cousin, who lives in Dublin, will also throw on her walking shoes which makes it a double bonus! Have you done any other Irish Caminos? There are so many, I may just have to extend my stay. Thanks for your response and Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Valerie
Many sympathies on the loss of your parents.
I don't know how much time you have available to walk and that might influence where you fly to from Dublin. My experience is also very much from before covid times so i would hope that the same availability of flights resume when this is all over (fingers crossed 🤞).

To start from St Jean, Ryanair fly to Biarritz and Aer Lingus fly to Bilbao and bus /train connections can be arranged from there. I've also walked from Burgos Street flying to Bilbao and getting a bus from there.
I've often flown to Madrid as there tends to a good choice of flights and times (and it can be very cheap). Flights normally available thru Ryanair Aer Lingus and Iberia. It can also be easier to get from Madrid to different locations on the Camino Francés (bus or train).
Hope this is of some help.

Welcome Valerie, sorry for your loss.
I started my Camino in St. James's Gate then took a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Biarritz its a short train journey to St. Jean from there.
Happy Planning and Buen Camino.
Thank you Señor Wayfarer for your condolences. That sounds like a hop, skip, and a jump from Dublin. I have family all over Ireland, and my cousin from Dublin will be my walking parter. With all the lovely walks I'm finding around the country, I may just extend my stay a bit and get a few Irish treks under my belt before I head to France. Go raibh math agat and Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My sympathies, @valeriekelly

Here’s a map of the ferry options. The website seems to imply that the ferrys are running. Obviously not the best way to get to St Jean Pied de Port, France, but Ok either to do the Camino Norte or perhaps start the Camino Frances in Pampolona if you went to Bilbao.
FCA78AE9-CC90-44BF-B9B0-0893DA424C10.jpeg

Hi Valerie
Many sympathies on the loss of your parents.
I don't know how much time you have available to walk and that might influence where you fly to from Dublin. My experience is also very much from before covid times so i would hope that the same availability of flights resume when this is all over (fingers crossed 🤞).

To start from St Jean, Ryanair fly to Biarritz and Aer Lingus fly to Bilbao and bus /train connections can be arranged from there. I've also walked from Burgos Street flying to Bilbao and getting a bus from there.
I've often flown to Madrid as there tends to a good choice of flights and times (and it can be very cheap). Flights normally available thru Ryanair Aer Lingus and Iberia. It can also be easier to get from Madrid to different locations on the Camino Francés (bus or train).
Hope this is of some help.
Thank you for your kindness SioCamino! I am crossing my fingers as well. Hopefully if I am not able to make it toward the end of this year, international travel will grow closer to "normal" by next spring. Wonderful and helpful information - muchas gracias. Looks like you are a very seasoned traveler! I hope to follow in those footsteps too. Now that I am retired, I have nothing but time, and I aim to see as much as I can for as long as I can. Thanks for the inspiration and Buen Camino!

This is not what you asked but in case you need a plan B you can walk in Ireland then transfer to A Corona and walk the rest of the Camino Ingles and qualify for a compostela. Read at least the first post in this thread.

Wishing you the best on your journey.
Thank you Rick of Rick and Peg! Always good to have a plan B, and for me, a C, D, and E wouldn't be a bad idea!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Here’s a map of the ferry options. The website seems to imply that the ferrys are running. Obviously not the best way to get to St Jean Pied de Port, France, but Ok either to do the Camino Norte or perhaps start the Camino Frances in Pampolona if you went to Bilbao.
View attachment 95152

View attachment 95152
Thank you Stephan the Painter for this map and condolences. Certainly are quite a few options! I love ferry rides, and as I'm not pressed for time, this may be a wonderful option. Buen Camino!957C0FCB-E726-49FA-9018-05AA4151713D.jpeg

As there are few flights at the moment it is difficult to check on which airlines fly to Biarritz but if you can get one from Dublin then that is the one I would choose then get a shared taxi to St. Jean or get the bus/train.
Thank you Harland2019. You can bet I'll be watching for when those airplanes take flight! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah 'tis a fellow Irish American yay! Thank you for sharing these options for airports. I really do need to get out a map and familiarize myself with all of these wonderful foreign destinations I just can't wait to see. I'm with you and I'll pray for Spain too. Not just for selfish reasons, but because we all need a respite from this year like no other in our lifetime. I'm hoping for September if things open up, but if not I hear that the springtime is a good time to visit. I'm not used to really hot temperatures, so I'm aiming for cooler seasons. Thank you and Buen Camino!

Of course I am assuming you want to start in Saint Jean de Port in France. Biarritz and San Sebastián Airports would be 2 good airports to choose.
Starting in Ireland, then to France but I'm kind of a fly by the seat of my pants, spontaneous adventurer, so who knows? I listen to lots of podcasts about the Camino, and the one thing that seems to be a theme is to not have expectations and let the Camino unfold. Right up my alley!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
".. help to add circulate money into local economies..." Yes, please! I ask St James in nightly prayers for all the help for "US" (those who live over the water) for pandemic relief so we can put the resources we have saved and budgeted and gladly -- hear me, gladly! -- put back into the coffers of cash-starved businesses along our many Ways! Will happily pay for cafe solo! Will joyously pay for bocadillo con jamon! :)

That’s a nice looking plein air style piece. Are you a painter?
Alas no, just a great admirer of those who are, and you most certainly are brilliantly talented! I watched the artist, Timothy Horn, paint this piece on Vinalhaven. I love to buy artwork to remind me of the places of my journeys. It was fascinating to watch a blank canvas come to life and save a moment in time for me. He was very gracious to allow me to keep that memory, to preserve and reflect each time I see it now in my home.
That’s a nice looking plein air style piece. Are you a painter?

Attachments

• BB736651-5B18-418B-B076-8B5D2BF50C4B.jpeg
    BB736651-5B18-418B-B076-8B5D2BF50C4B.jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 17
Hello Valerie Kelly - please accept my condolences on the loss of your parents, and my admiration for returning their remains to Ireland and honoring their memory with a Camino. I have scanned through this thread, but did not notice any link to the Camino Society of Ireland which is located in Dublin, at St. James Church http://stjamesparish.ie/camino-de-santiago/ not far from the Kilmainham Gaol. Although they are currently closed due to COVID, you may want to check with them occasionally for their re-opening. You can get your Camino passport and your first stamps there because Ireland is the only country that I know of that permits pilgrims to walk 25 kms of their Camino on Irish soil, receive their stamps, and then complete the rest of the Camino in Spain. You might also be interested in reading another post of mine about that, along with photos of the Irish Credencial that I used. You may get a few hints and resource connections.
( https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-picture-of-your-credential.59776/post-902917 )

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Valerie
Fly to Biarritz (Ryanair fly there from the UK so I assume Ireland as well). Walk out of the airport and get a bus to Bayonne Railway Station and a train from there direct to ST Jean Pied de Port. It is not expensive and if the timings work out will take you about 3 hours if I remember rightly. One time I also flew to Paris for a couple of nights and then took the train from Paris to Bayonne.
Buen Camino
Vince

Hi Valerie,

Ryanair fly to Biarritz. Currently prices are very cheap if you want to take a gamble on a date. If you haven't flown Ryanair before follow the rules or you will pay for all the extras. Print boarding pass, check in bag if it's too large etc. Nothing like an extra 30 yoyo to print a boarding card 😭.

If you are going to be in Dublin and visiting St. James, the Irish Camino centre is there. They have a really nice Camino Passport.

To get from Biarritz to St. Jean we used

They were pretty cheap. They meet you in the arrivals area. Biarritz is a tiny airport. Mini bus then direct to St. Jean.

From St. Jean to Santiago just follow the yellow arrows. 🤣🤣

K.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Valerie,

Ryanair fly to Biarritz. Currently prices are very cheap if you want to take a gamble on a date. If you haven't flown Ryanair before follow the rules or you will pay for all the extras. Print boarding pass, check in bag if it's too large etc. Nothing like an extra 30 yoyo to print a boarding card 😭.

If you are going to be in Dublin and visiting St. James, the Irish Camino centre is there. They have a really nice Camino Passport.

To get from Biarritz to St. Jean we used

They were pretty cheap. They meet you in the arrivals area. Biarritz is a tiny airport. Mini bus then direct to St. Jean.

From St. Jean to Santiago just follow the yellow arrows. 🤣🤣

K.
Hi ktoc1 - See, it's all those insider tips from those in the know like you that I never would have even thought of. The little things can really add up quickly, and I'd much rather be a do-it-myselfer and save a few pennies to spend on some scrumptious new delicacy on my trip. I'm really excited to start my journey with an official Irish passport, and I will definitely head to the Camino centre. Thanks for the links and I'll keep an eye out for those arrows! o_O

I walked past St James church in Dublin just a few hours ago, unfortunately the pilgrim's office is closed for now, has been for some months. It is normally a very welcoming, informative place and hopefully by the time you visit, they will be open again and ready to welcome you..
View attachment 95328
Looking forward to the day I can take a stroll through the streets of Dublin and visit St. James Church. I'm quite envious. My last trip to your beautiful city was in 2016, and it was a journey of a lifetime. Thanks for posting the picture @Flogwail. Until then, Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Valerie
Fly to Biarritz (Ryanair fly there from the UK so I assume Ireland as well). Walk out of the airport and get a bus to Bayonne Railway Station and a train from there direct to ST Jean Pied de Port. It is not expensive and if the timings work out will take you about 3 hours if I remember rightly. One time I also flew to Paris for a couple of nights and then took the train from Paris to Bayonne.
Buen Camino
Vince
Thank you Vince. It's especially helpful to know the amount of time it takes to get places. I don't think I am quite brave enough to venture to Paris on my own. The last time I was there I aged ten years just from the taxi rides! Thank you again and Buen Camino!

Many choices. Decide whether you wish to fly, sail or fly / rail.

For me, my next trip will be to fly to Dublin, do the same 32 km trek from Bray to St James, Dublin, then, I may sail from Cork to A Cruña where my final trek to Santiago will be along the Camino Ingles.

For the Camino Frances, I have taken the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead, train to London for a few days and then fly to Biarritz. Then, what I did was walk out the airport doors, looked for 3 more pilgrims, approached them to share a taxi to St. Jean. It took all of 3 minutes to arrange. One hour and 25 euro each later, w were in St. Jean.

From London, a train can be taken to Bayonne, France and bus the last leg or fly to Paris, bus to Montparnasse Station then to Bayonne.

Outside of direct teleportation, these are the options I have used, so far.

Hi Valerie,
My condolences on your parents passing. It is alovely thought that you want remember them and to start your Camino in Ireland.
With regard to the next stage of your Camino, the easiest way to get to St Jean from Dublin is to fly Ryanair to Barritz. I did a quick check on their site and they have flights available for next September costing around €60 one way and departing at 09:30 in the morning. Express Bouricot has already been mentioned and I have used them a number of times to get from Barritz airport to St Jean. Just book in advance. This gives the afternoon to have a look around St Jean and soak up the atmosphere seeing other pilgrims getting ready to start the journey. If things have opened up by then this is a great way to get there. One thing with ryanair is to make certain to have luggage as per their requirements or it can cost. Also if you intend to use walking poles it is adviseable to have them in checked bags as airport security in Europe can be fussy and they could be confiscated. Have fun researching and planning. There are so many of us just waiting for things to open up, get a vaccine jab, and start walking the Camino again.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Following. I’m planning my Camino for 2022 or 23. I plan to do the Irish Way and start from St. James’s Church in Dublin. Reasons - I was born in Dublin, my father was a cooper at next door Guinness Brewery, and my uncle’s stained glass is in St. James’s.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back