• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irish Camino Travel Agents

montana45

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk the second last stage of the Camino from Ponferrada to Sarria on my own in April (having already walked the final stage) - does any Irish Camino traveller know if there is a reputable travel agent in Ireland that they have experienced that can arrange the hotels, baggage transfer etc? Thanking you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try Caminoways.com
International Number: +353 1 525 28 86
info@caminoways.com

or these, from the Irish Society of the Friends of St.James

Abbey Travel
43/45 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1 Tel: 01 804 7100 information@abbeytravel.ie http://www.abeytravel.ie

J. Barter Travel Group
92 Patrick Street, Cork. Tel: 021 485 1700 info@jbarter.com http://www.travelnet.ie

Follow the Camino
One Foot Abroad Dublin, Guinness Enterprise Center, Taylor’s Lane, Dublin 8. Tel: 01 443 3972 info@followthecamino.com
http://www.followthecamino.com

Map Travel
36 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin 1. Tel: 01 878 3111 info@maptravel.ie
http://www.maptravel.ie

Thank you very much indeed, Wayfarer, for taking the time to reply-your information is a great help. Slan leat!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

I used Follow the Camino last October to transfer my bag for 2 weeks from SJPDP to Burgos and they did a great job, I would definitley recommend them.

Paul.

Hi Montana 45,

A couple of years ago in May, I walked from Astorga to Sarria on my own which took me through Ponferrada.
On arriving in Santiago at 15.30 from Dublin approx., I travelled by bus(16.15) from the airport to Lugo.After staying overnight I travelled by bus to Astorga. I think it went through Ponferrada.I had no accommodation booked in any town.I stayed mostly in two star hotel/hostels apart from one or two nights in refugios.
Travelling solo, the hotels/hostels work out expensive, €40 on one night, €30/35 other nights, as they mostly have twin/double rooms. Staying in a refugio one/two nights brings the average price down.
I had no problem getting accommodation. My rucksack weighed about 6 kgs excluding water.
Last year in April a friend and I walked from St Jean to Logrono. We had no accommodation booked.
Something to consider.
Buen camino,
Irishwalker

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Irish Walker for taking the time to reply.I am now finalising my plans with MAP Travel in Dublin-they are offering an all in package staying at reasonably priced hotels-I am an ok walker but like a very good night's sleep-hence the hotels!!! I am arriving at 12.15 in Santiago (Aer Lingus)& will take the 13.45 Alsa bus to Ponferrada & start the walk from there to Sarria.Thanks again! Montana 45

Thank you Bryans for replying. Whilst my April trip is now set up-I am hoping to walk another stage east of Ponferrada in late May -I may consider your advice then-my only fear is the risk of luggage going astray in going from hotel to hotel-have you had any problems in this regard when organising yoursef? how did you pick out the hotels to stay in along the Camino to ensure a reasonable standard & accessible location? Thanks again! Montana45

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We carry all our stuff with us. It makes you leave behind unnecessary equipment.
We sometimes booked ahead via the internet and sometimes just turned up at hostals/hotels.
Outside the busy holiday periods it is not too difficult to get rooms.
Use John Brierleys guide/this forum/St James booklet/tripadvisor ( take what non walkers say with care as a hotel not having a pool is not critical ! )

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Montana.
Jacotrans will transfer your luggage. Last year they were charging €7.00 for about 20 to 30 klms.
If you look up the website they give you the phone numbers for the various stage.

You phone them tell them were you are. You put an envelope on your rucksack with the money in it and the address to which you want it sent. Most places on the Camino have specially printed envelopes with a hole punched in it for your bit of string or a large pin to hold it to the rucksack.

It seems to be very reliable.
Buen Camino,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here's a brief update on my walk from Ponferrada to Sarria (having previously walked from Sarrria to Santiago)from 23-30 April:
Arrived in Santiago at 12.30 on Aer Lingus flight from Dublin (15 mins ahead of schedule)-got taxi to Santiago bus station& took Alsa bus to Ponferrada leaving at 13.45 on the dot-took about 4 hours as scheduled to get to Ponf. (Good service) Along the bus route to Ponf.I kept on seeing the railway track (heading for Ponf.)winding along its 'magical' route through wooded areas, along by the river etc & in hindsight this would have been a better way to travel but train from Santiago to Ponf. leaves long before arrival from Dublin-to get the train I would have had to stay overnight in Santiago_On completion of walk in Sarria I got a taxi to Lugo bus station & then got the 08.00 Empresa bus to Santiago arriving at 09.30 on the dot, well in time for flight back to Dublin (http://www.empresafreire.com)(There is no bus/train from Sarria direct to Santiago in order to get to Santiago by 11.300 as far as I could find out)
I had a great trip overall -section from Ambasmestas to O'Cebreiro very demanding (including snow)& one needs to be fit for it-but would gladly do it again tomorrow!Went to Mass service for pilgrims at 18.00 in the old church in Triacastela & it was both spiritually uplifting & entertaining as the padre has a great sense of humour & tries to make the service meaningful & inclusuive (which he did!)Try & fit it in!

I forgot to mention that I booked all my accommodation & luggage transfer through MAP Travel in Dublin & service was excellent right the way through!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We used CaminoWays in Dublin to book accommodation and luggage transfer for our Easter 2013 camino. They were excellent and all arrangements worked perfectly.

Hi Montana,

Congrats on completing the section you planned from Ponferrada to Sarria. When I was climbing towards O'Cebreiro it was the heat was the problem. Altough I reached the summit around 1 pm,
the heat(in May) made it that bit tougher.
I also went to Mass in Triacastella. As you say, it was very inclusive and rewarding.
On Saturday May 11th, my friend and I are starting our camino from Logrono and walking six days to beyond Burgos. Last year we walked to Logrono from StJPDP.
Looking forward to the walk very much.

Irishwalker.

Thank you Irishwalker for your comments-good luck on your walk from Logrono to Burgos-be interested to know how you get on as I plan to walk that section at a future time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back