• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irish Pilgrim's Passport

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, half Via del Plata 2011, Camino Fisterra 2011, Camino Aragones 2013.
Just had a read of this forum and it looks like being really helpful preparing for my walk in September.

A minor query to start with:

The Irish Society of the Friends of St. James (another good website) are selling special credenciales for Irish pilgrims but they're €10. Has anyone got one of these? Are they worth getting? The standard one costs only a few pence does it not?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are Irish and want to support a local confraternity/society then yes of course they are worth getting. Organisations like the ISFSJ need to obtain funds from somewhere and selling credencials is one way.

On a purely economic basis theirs or the CSJ's (which you have to join to get so they get your money that way) are much more expensive but you are paying to support the organisation.

Where are starting from? I got mine from Roncesvalles for 2 euro. And if you plan to walk the camino again, you can get one at the pilgrim office in Santiago for 0.50 euro

http://camino.wificat.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Senyor, I agree with William. Also, I had one in 2005 (Roncesvalles to Santiago) and it usually generated a lot of interest among hospitaleros and fellow pilgrims as it was quite distinctive from the others. It comes with one [printed] stamp already in it from the society and has some info about the pilgrims from St. James' Gate in times past.

Hi,
I got my credential from Ireland (being Irish and a Dub) and it did indeed generate some interest. One distint difference is that the irish one is alittle booklet wheras the ones I saw with other pilgrims folded out to a larger format. I got a small ziplock bag and kept it an my real passport inside to protect it from all the bloody rain in galicia.
I went from Burgos to Santiago in Sept last year. Had a special time.
If I can help at all just ask..

Peter

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
jessie_d said:
I just sent off for one a few weeks ago and it arrived on Friday. It looks nice and it's irish :) I think it's worth it.

I sent for one on Wednesday; Hope it arrives before I depart on Sunday July 1st.!!!

We posted our request for CSJ pilgrim passports on Wednesday this week and they arrived today! Very impressive! And they look much grander than I had imagined. It's all so exciting - and we're only planning a two day trip from home to Harwich as a very tentative beginning!!!

Bridget

Good for you;
Buen Camino; that's almost my sum total of my Spanish. I hope to return with more after my first visit to Spain. I'm guessing you're in contact with UK office. Hopefully my passport will arrive in time. I must try & locate a landline phone number for Dublin office & they may help me out.
Regards to all

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a note to let pilgrims know that offices at Guinness, St. James Gate are only open "office hours".
I believe there may also be a stamp available in church close by.
(I had assumed their stamp was available in visitors centre; so a wasted trip there on Saturday before I went).

Travelled as far as Santa Domingo; was in heaven for most of the time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Irish Pilgrims Passport

The Irish credential is indeed 10 euro. The big advantage is that you get it before you leave. Also you can get a stamp on it Ireland at St James gate which is the start of the camino from Ireland.
Also the 10 euro helps the Irish association to exist. I started last year from Burgos and was not certain where to get the credential. The Irish one was compact with bound sheets as opposed to the standard one which is more like a wallet that expands out.

Hope this helps

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in or are visiting Dublin. You can pick one up between 10am and 12.30 at the sacristry St James Church. James St. Easy to find. Its at the very back of Guinness Brewery at the Thomas St. end. The old ladies there will make you a cup of tea and ask you to pray for them.

Anybody interested in "stamp" from Guinness at St. James' Gate?
The entrance is on Thomas St. opposite Bank of Ireland and junction with Watling St.
Visitor's entrance is inside main vechilar entrance on left; security will point it out to you.
Hours are 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.
Buen Camino
Brian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi guys, I see that this thread is a few years old, I am going off on my camino on july 17th and was wondering if it is still possible to get credencial/sello at St james Gate in Dublin, and the opening hours??
Go raibh mile maith agat :)

Hi guys, I see that this thread is a few years old, I am going off on my camino on july 17th and was wondering if it is still possible to get credencial/sello at St james Gate in Dublin, and the opening hours??
Go raibh mile maith agat :)
36 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
This is the postal address of the Irish Society of Friends of St James
And if you write to Betty Tuite and enclose ? €10 she will send you the lovely Irish passport.
You can get it at mass in St James church but I am not sure of the times. It is a lovely passport. There is space for 2 stamps per page. It is very different from the concertina style European passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cheers guys on the info, will make sure and get a stop there on way back to Cork before heading off. 2 weeks to adventure time, excitement is surely building now!!! :D

If my memory is correct you can get them in St James church round the corner from Guiness most mornings around 11am. We got ours there in April. All along the way people remarked how good they were, but be warned don't go mad with the stamps, because they do not hold as many as the standard issue.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In 2012 I worried about filling the passport with stamps too quickly as I collected stamps in cafes etc as I walked so I divided the pages in two with a biro. At the end of the Camino I had almost half of the passport left free, this I used in 2013 for the Sarria to Santiago section.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did a quick Google search for this route and didn't come up with anything. I would like to find out how long it is and what the inherent expenses are. Can anyone point me to some resources? I checked stjamesirl.com with no luck

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back