• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irish TV programme with Mary McAleese: All Walks of Life

timr

Time of past OR future Camino
Several and counting...
Mary McAleese, formerly a distinguished lawyer, then the President of Ireland, and now a theologian has been walking the pilgrim routes of Ireland and there is an upcoming RTE TV series about her walks. She walked to Santiago de Compostela when she was still president in 2009.

This note is from the PilgrimPath Facebook page. Unfortunately, RTE is difficult to watch outside Ireland, though some programmes are sometimes available on RTEplayer. https://www.rte.ie/player/

Watch out for a new series on RTE which is coming up soon. Here, former President of Ireland Mary McAleese walks the many of Ireland’s most renowned pilgrim paths in the company of celebrities and other less well-known, but equally interesting individuals. The series is titled "All Walks of Life" and involves Mary McAleese leading a diverse cross-section of Individuals on a spiritual journey where they reveal their innermost thoughts. Among the celebrities she will be walking with are, Galway hurler Joe Canning and actress Amy Huberman. The series begins on Friday, January 17, when Joe Canning walks, with Mary, along the Maumean pilgrim path in Connemara to discuss his inner life.

There is an article about the series here. You may have to sign in to read it, but you do not have to pay.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting news @timr . I've been keeping my eyes open for more about the BBC Pilgrimage series featuring Edwina Currie on the Sultan's Trail you mentioned a while ago but they seem to be keeping that one well under wraps for the moment. Just imagining the fun of combining the two series and personnel... :cool:

Thanks @timr but I do sometimes wish that celebrities from all walks of life would keep their innermost thoughts innermost while on the walk of their life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks @timr but I do sometimes wish that celebrities from all walks of life would keep their innermost thoughts innermost while on the walk of their life.

My experience (albeit a Canadian one) is that those whose thoughts would be most useful to us keep them to themselves, and we get the others. My comments do not address Mrs McAleese, who is an exceptional figure.

While I have found that Desert Island Discs has been extraordinary in drawing people forth, we all know that on the Camino, we have often had long and marvellous conversations with people as we walk along. Perhaps these exercises might be useful, and might even get viewers out of their chairs and on to the trail.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.