• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irun or San Sebastian?

slarti

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012) Camino del Norte (2013)
Hello everyone!

I'm leaving for camino del norte at the end of April and trying to decide if I should start in Irun or San Sebastian.
I'm going to try to complete the camino in about 4 weeks but if necessary I have 5 weeks to do it in (so i have some wiggle room to "wing it").
So basically I'm wondering if it's worth that extra day of walking to start in Irun?

/Linus

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, after a bit of contemplating i decided to start in Irun.
I realized that if I were to start in San Sebastian I would be quite annoyed with myself :)

Good choice!

I asked the same question last year before my del Norte and someone showed me a video of their Day 1 from Irun. I am sold!

The view, the boat crossing was one of the best experience in this camino, on Day 1 itself.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
evanlow said:
Good choice!

I asked the same question last year before my del Norte and someone showed me a video of their Day 1 from Irun. I am sold!

The view, the boat crossing was one of the best experience in this camino, on Day 1 itself.

Buen Camino!

Thank you for the answer, it's good to hear that I made the right choice.

The thing was that when I started planing my trip i didn't know that you could take the train to Irun and when i realized that you could i was a little startled but the decision to start there wasn't that hard.

Buen Camino!

I started in Irun yesterday and I think you made the right choice. The walk was spectacular!!! Be sure to take the high route!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZYpZSkTotk

That video made my decision to start from Irun instead of San Sebastian.

The view breathtaking, the boat crossing right before a cruise ship (yes, it somehow fit that narrow waterway) is reason enough not to miss.

AubreyL said:
I started in Irun yesterday and I think you made the right choice. The walk was spectacular!!! Be sure to take the high route!

Thanks for the tip! Ok, I'm not there yet but for me, the low route wouldn't be an option. I like a good challenge.

Well, then this is the right choice for you! You not only will have the challenge you seek but the beautiful scenery of the first day after you go up is spectacular! This is one of many views:
pasajesdescripcion.jpg

Will you be reporting your Camino as you go? It would be great if you posted here how you find the trek, if there are any suggestions or warnings you can give to those of us who will be close behind you :D !

Ultreia!

Mary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
evanlow said:
This is why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZYpZSkTotk

That video made my decision to start from Irun instead of San Sebastian.

And now I swing back to thinking of doing the Norte instead of the Frances!
Fantastic pics....I wanted the camera to swing up and pan OVER the crest of the hill....just like in the movies!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
manoll said:
Well, then this is the right choice for you! You not only will have the challenge you seek but the beautiful scenery of the first day after you go up is spectacular! This is one of many views:
pasajesdescripcion.jpg

Will you be reporting your Camino as you go? It would be great if you posted here how you find the trek, if there are any suggestions or warnings you can give to those of us who will be close behind you :D !

Ultreia!

Mary

It looks fantastic! I hope the weather will be as good as in the picture.

I'm not sure if I'll report anything as I'm not sure how "online" I will be. But if something disturbing comes along I'll try to remember to post it.

Ultreia!

Duntrune said:
Irun. The walk to Pasajes San Juan is delightful and the albergue is very good.

I decided on Irun a long time ago, I don't even know why I was thinking of starting in San sebastian as when i first decided on walkin del Norte my mind was set on startin in Irun.

I don't think I'm going to stay in Pasajes San Juan as 19km in a day is well, not the pace I am accustomed to on the camino. But, as it my first day on this camino I can't say that for sure so thank you for the tip about the albergue :)

I started in Irun, the views from Irun to San Sebastian are some of the best on the Norte, and that is saying alot!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for this thread. It has helped decide on Irun.
Suggestions for where to stay that first night.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back