• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irun - place to stay October 1st

tashgonewalkabout

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to head out on the Norte, early Oct '14
Hey folks, I'm one of those last minute, quite unprepared (sorry) people who usually rely on a bit of luck, and some common sense. However, common sense hasn't prevailed, I'm en-route to Spain, first flight out of three complete, and have just realised the website for the Pilgrim's Albergue in Irun, states that it closes September 30th this year.
And I shall be arriving October first . . .
Could anyone please suggest a (if possible) cheap alternative to spend my first night in Irun? I'll be arriving on the first around two o'clock in the afternoon, but will be pretty jet lagged and just need a bed to crash in for the night :)
I don't know how much internet access I'll be able to access, currently in Changi airport, next stop is Bangkok,then Oslo, then Madrid, then the train . . . . but I'll be checking this when I can.
Thanks so very much :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey folks, I'm one of those last minute, quite unprepared (sorry) people who usually rely on a bit of luck, and some common sense. However, common sense hasn't prevailed, I'm en-route to Spain, first flight out of three complete, and have just realised the website for the Pilgrim's Albergue in Irun, states that it closes September 30th this year.
Could anyone please suggest a (if possible) cheap alternative to spend my first night in Irun? I'll be arriving on the first around two o'clock in the afternoon, but will be pretty jet lagged and just need a bed to crash in for the night :)
I don't know how much internet access I'll be able to access, currently in Changi airport, next stop is Bangkok,then Oslo, then Madrid, then the train . . . . but I'll be checking this when I can.

oh dear, I presume this also affects my plan of getting my credencial from the albergue also. Where else in Irun might this be accomplished?
Thanks, again.

SORTED :) Thanks to Agoda- I have booked myself into the Pension Mari Carmen.
Any advice on a credentical from Irun still gratefully welcomed (I'm using a timed airport computer so searching the forum is quite difficult)
Thanks folks, Tash.

Hola

You can probably get a credential at the Tourist Information.
This is from google map:
Hendaye Tourisme
67bis Boulevard de la Mer
64700 Hendaye
Frankrig
Åben i dag
hendaye-tourisme.fr
+33 5 59 20 00 34

It is on the French side, so maybe ask the Pension to make a call to make sure?
Else, on an off hand chance, you may walk past the closed albergue, as there may be people working and able to provide the credential.

Hope this helps and have a great walk!

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I will possibly see you on the 2nd! Currently in a Madrid train station and getting to Hendaye tomorrow afternoon. I know you are set, but am walking just a bit to the hostel in Hondarriba for the first night. At least, that is currently the plan! Buen Camino!

There is also a tourist information in Irun. Plaza Luis Mariano 3
Open from 10:30-13:30 and 15:30-19:00

I need to stop in myself. It looks to be not too far from the I run train station.

I will also be getting there on the 1st, but into Hendaye at 2pm. I noticed as well the albergue is closed and plan to walk the 4kms to Hondarriba. After I find trekking poles, though. Didn't find any today.

There is a private Gite du Litorral, (20e) in Hendaye. It seems nice. Don't know if the owners provide credentials.
Apparently, open from 10/04/2014 to 31/10/2014.
You can take the "topo" or Euskotren from Irún to Hendaye, it is a very short hop.
Hendaye is a very pleasant village, with a picturesque fishing port and a magnificent seaside promenade. I spent two peaceful and quiet hours there some years ago, waiting for my train connection and recalling the good moments of my just finished Camino.

Last edited:
I wrote of a WONDERFUL spot...search "Bilbo Baggins lives here" or just "Baggins" and it might come up...
right outside of Irun, maybe an hour or so walk. LOVED this place!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wrote of a WONDERFUL spot...search "Bilbo Baggins lives here" or just "Baggins" and it might come up...
right outside of Irun, maybe an hour or so walk. LOVED this place!

That's the one I'm planning on going to! I saw it in the guidebook and thought it would be an option. Your review made it all the more appealing, thanks!

That's the one I'm planning on going to! I saw it in the guidebook and thought it would be an option. Your review made it all the more appealing, thanks!
They serve dinner! They didn't tell me that when I checked in...wish I had known. there is a cost, but worth it I am sure. I would love to hear if you to felt like it was such a charming place.
Next Fall my three sons and one daughter (maybe two daughters ) are joining me on the Camino and they all want to Hammock camp...not certain what we will do. I just helped start a Pilgrims Chapter here where I live and on the first night a gentleman stood up and said he had done just that. Of course the kids heard him...so it might be no turning back...
Buen Camino

I will also be getting there on the 1st, but into Hendaye at 2pm. I noticed as well the albergue is closed and plan to walk the 4kms to Hondarriba. After I find trekking poles, though. Didn't find any today.
I hope I don't confuse you here but if I can save anyone from making a mistake that I did...
When I left Irun I swear Hondarriba was in eye view from me...
seeing that this auberge was marked as being in Hondarriba I walked straight into the hustle bustle of Hondarriba looking for it. It is NOT there!!!

You will leave Irun and at some point take a left into the grass , had you stayed straight you would have gone into Hondarriba town proper...

Hope that helps...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

If all else fails try Decathlon in Irun for treking poles (bastones de senderismo).
Here is their address:

Parque Comercial Txingudi,
Zona Araso Barrio Ventas, s/n,
20305 Irún, Guipúzcoa, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Phone:+34 943 63 90 51

and their web site.

Good luck and Buen camino,

MM

Last edited:
If all else fails try Decathlon in Irun for treking poles (bastones de senderismo).
Here is their address:

Parque Comercial Txingudi,
Zona Araso Barrio Ventas, s/n,
20305 Irún, Guipúzcoa, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Phone:+34 943 63 90 51

and their web site.

Good luck and Buen camino,

MM
Thanks! Saw this this morning. That's what we ended up doing. Took the bus out and got what we needed. Tourist office very helpful in finding bus stop- in same plaza as tourist office.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back