• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irun to Fisterra - September 14 to end of October

mICH50

Time of past OR future Camino
Did camino El Norte ...
From Canada : Another challenge - experience in my life ! Living on Septerber 14 to end of October = Irun to Fisterra ! Hope to meet great people ... anyone will be around ? Need a liste of Albergue - Hostel ... Or chat with someone that has done this path !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Check the thread "Whose in for an October Stroll" :) We'll be ahead of you, somewhere down the road. Starting in Aviles in mid September.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From Canada : Another challenge - experience in my life ! Living on Septerber 14 to end of October = Irun to Fisterra ! Hope to meet great people ... anyone will be around ? Need a liste of Albergue - Hostel ... Or chat with someone that has done this path !
Hi we are starting in Irun on 10 September. We will be starting slowly so maybe you will catch up to us.
Buen Camino.
David and Lesley

Hi we are starting in Irun on 10 September. We will be starting slowly so maybe you will catch up to us.
Buen Camino.
David and Lesley
Hi .. I will be in Irun on the 16 of September .. will start from Irun slowly ... hope to meet you. Robert

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola

Have a great walk and remember that there is a film festival in San Sebastian 19-27 September, which means that lodging can be a problem.
Also try to plan to stay at Güemes at Ernestos Albergue. A gem on the Norte.
Finally, if you feel strong and want to walk through mountains, take the Camino Primitivo once you get to the fork.

Buen Camino :)
Lettinggo

Hola

Have a great walk and remember that there is a film festival in San Sebastian 19-27 September, which means that lodging can be a problem.
Also try to plan to stay at Güemes at Ernestos Albergue. A gem on the Norte.
Finally, if you feel strong and want to walk through mountains, take the Camino Primitivo once you get to the fork.

Buen Camino :)
Lettinggo
Thanks !!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks !!!!
Hi fellow-norte-walkers, Glad there are a few of us out there. Leaving Biaritz 10 Sept, Irun possibly 13/14. Going slowly. Must try and be through San Sebastian before the film festival.
Buen Camino everyone.
Mary Kate

Hi .. I will be in Irun on the 16 of September .. will start from Irun slowly ... hope to meet you. Robert
Great .. should be there ... have to get out of San Sabastien fast because of the film festival ... hope to meet you.

Start like and old man Robert and finish as a young one.
We were told this by a 78 year old Italian that had walked from Mt Blanc , we were in St JPdP when he gave us this great advice.

The reverse to what he said and the consequences will be seen every day on the camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In San Sebastian at the moment after four days walking from Biarritz.
Any other Norte pilgrims from the forum about? I'm taking tomorrow as a rest day before going on to Orio on 17th. I need to buy a hat, having forgotten mine in Irun - it was only two days old too!
By the way, whoever said the way was littered with abandoned poles and sticks was wrong; or else they've had a clean up; or else the September people (some of us slightly older) have picked them up already along the way. Anyhow, I've managed fine without them so far.
I'm glad I brought a liner and a sleeping bag though. So far the liner is enough for most of the night but it's nice to have the bag (a rectangular one) to pull on in the early hours.
Conditions are quite good. Most days the breeze is cool and refreshing. A bit stormy yesterday in San Juan Pasajes but the track was quite good this morning. I'm having a great camino and meeting many special people. It's truly amazing how quickly a few people can feel like family. However, because I'm taking tomorrow off I will lose all my companions but I know I'll discover new ones.
Buen Camino to all of you.
Mary Kate

In San Sebastian at the moment after four days walking from Biarritz.
Any other Norte pilgrims from the forum about? I'm taking tomorrow as a rest day before going on to Orio on 17th. I need to buy a hat, having forgotten mine in Irun - it was only two days old too!
By the way, whoever said the way was littered with abandoned poles and sticks was wrong; or else they've had a clean up; or else the September people (some of us slightly older) have picked them up already along the way. Anyhow, I've managed fine without them so far.
I'm glad I brought a liner and a sleeping bag though. So far the liner is enough for most of the night but it's nice to have the bag (a rectangular one) to pull on in the early hours.
Conditions are quite good. Most days the breeze is cool and refreshing. A bit stormy yesterday in San Juan Pasajes but the track was quite good this morning. I'm having a great camino and meeting many special people. It's truly amazing how quickly a few people can feel like family. However, because I'm taking tomorrow off I will lose all my companions but I know I'll discover new ones.
Buen Camino to all of you.
Mary Kate
Mary Kate...thank you for your post...are you having any trouble getting accommodation? Are you booking ahead? Looking forward to hearing from you. Beth

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mary Kate...thank you for your post...are you having any trouble getting accommodation? Are you booking ahead? Looking forward to hearing from you. Beth
Hi Beth
So far no problem getting accommodation. I've not booked anything ahead. Then again, I'm not completing the 'recommended' stages so I often arrive in good time and am one of the first in. yesterday, I did a very short trip from Markina-Xemein to the Monasterio de Zenarruza because today was a longer trip to Guernica (for me anyway). I was first at the monastery but they were full by the end. also, first through the door of the Youth Hostel in Guernica. I'm not sure if it's completely full But there was a regular stream of people after me. So far, I'm not intending to book ahead.
It was a damp but pleasant walk to Guernica and I arrived before the rain. From what I see of the forecast it must be the driest part of Spain right now. The forecast is for cloudy in the next couple of days towards Bilbao - I hope so.
Having a great time. I've not picked up any more companions but being alone suits me so far.
Mary
PS Robert from Montreal crossed my path yesterday and has gone ahead today.
Any more forum people in the area?

I live in Bilbo.

You´re in for cloudy weather the next couple of days after todays downpour.

Good idea to not follow the "set stages" . Enjoy the walk. :)

Ondo Ibili !
Just arrived in Bilbao and taking a rest day here tomorrow. Glad to have avoided the rain so far.
Looking forward to playing tourist.
Mary

To add to my previous message. I'm in Bilbao right now in the Ganbara Hostel for two days and so far no problems with accommodation. It's now 8pm and 4 empty beds in a 6 bed room. Nowhere has been full and I'm not booking ahead.
Note re hostel in Guernica - if you plan to stay there Reception seems to be manned only between 3 - 6pm, so no chance of getting in after that and I think there were spaces. But there are other options also.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did it ... 830 km (Irun to Santiago) from October 15 2014 to end of November. I thought about a lot of things while I walked .... and it is still with me after 2 months back home !
From where I might find lunch that day, to where I wanted to take the next phase of my life, think ... pray ... confusion ... I realized that no journey is without it’s challenges. No adventure comes without pain. I realize that it doesn’t really matter where we’ve been, or where we’re going. We’re all walking together, all learning, all moving forward. There is an amazing amount of brain space to be found in 38 days of nothing but putting one foot in front of the other and trying to be myself with others. What a challenge !!!! This Camino was for me very hard. ..... BUT I DID IT ! I realize that no two pilgrims walk the same Way. We just need to embrace the journey and the lessons that present themselves along the way. I may do it again next July - August 2015 (El Norte ... ) its crossing my mind and heart ! Here are some of my photos .... I needed to share photos ! I also did in "french" a little photos - video of my experience :

May this be my sharring experience to all !
camino-rob-14.gif camino-rob-11.gif camino-rob-8.gif camino-rob-9.gif camino-rob-12.gif camino-rob-5.gif camino-rob-1.gif camino-rob-4.gif

Attachments

• camino-7.gif
    camino-7.gif
    466.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Robert,

Thanks for sharing your priceless memories! Indeed all should remember that as you wrote "we are all walking together" each in our own way. Do enjoy your own recollections as well as your new plans for a future camino.

Margaret Meredith

Hi fellow-norte-walkers, Glad there are a few of us out there. Leaving Biaritz 10 Sept, Irun possibly 13/14. Going slowly. Must try and be through San Sebastian before the film festival.
Buen Camino everyone.
Mary Kate
Mary Kate, were there albergues between Biarritz and Irun? What was the weather like at the end of your camino? I am thinking of going at a similar time. Thanks
Sharon

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did it ... 830 km (Irun to Santiago) from October 15 2014 to end of November. I thought about a lot of things while I walked .... and it is still with me after 2 months back home !
From where I might find lunch that day, to where I wanted to take the next phase of my life, think ... pray ... confusion ... I realized that no journey is without it’s challenges. No adventure comes without pain. I realize that it doesn’t really matter where we’ve been, or where we’re going. We’re all walking together, all learning, all moving forward. There is an amazing amount of brain space to be found in 38 days of nothing but putting one foot in front of the other and trying to be myself with others. What a challenge !!!! This Camino was for me very hard. ..... BUT I DID IT ! I realize that no two pilgrims walk the same Way. We just need to embrace the journey and the lessons that present themselves along the way. I may do it again next July - August 2015 (El Norte ... ) its crossing my mind and heart ! Here are some of my photos .... I needed to share photos ! I also did in "french" a little photos - video of my experience :

May this be my sharring experience to all !
View attachment 15563 View attachment 15564 View attachment 15565 View attachment 15566 View attachment 15568 View attachment 15569 View attachment 15570 View attachment 15571
Robert your photos and thoughts about the Norte were beautiful! I planning a June/July 2015 Camino on the Norte and reading this energized me. Thank you!

Wow Nadinek ... so happy with you ! Its a challenge ! You will love it ... maybe your best trip in your life ! Good luck .. as we say on the camino ... Buen Camino !

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.