• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irun to San Sebastian GI-636 or GI-3440

Dchell

Time of past OR future Camino
HI All! Im looking at threads and see that many folks walk GI-636. Based on Google Maps, this looks like a pretty straight-forward route but it's a highway. GI-3440 seems to have better views and the road is much quieter. It's a bit longer, but not by much. Does anyone have opinions on either of these two routes? We plan to go May 2017. Thanks kindly!
-Donna

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If possible-avoid bitumen.

There is also a alpine variant out of Irun---in nice weather that would bee a fantastic highland start for your walk.

Buen Camino !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dchell,
I just listened to a pod cast (found under Camino podcasts on this forum) where the host discusses the various walks from Irun to San Sabastian. You may want to listen. It is podcast 29 called "What I did with my summer vacation". Dave and a colleague are updating the Northern Caminos guidebook they published in 2011 and he and his co-author discuss this segment. Sorry I don't know how to link it for you.
Janet

Dchell,
I just listened to a pod cast (found under Camino podcasts on this forum) where the host discusses the various walks from Irun to San Sabastian. You may want to listen. It is podcast 29 called "What I did with my summer vacation". Dave and a colleague are updating the Northern Caminos guidebook they published in 2011 and he and his co-author discuss this segment. Sorry I don't know how to link it for you.
Janet

Here's a link to this podcast (and others by @Dave): https://soundcloud.com/user-939742370

Edit - I've just listened to this podcast and it's very interesting. The alternative route from Hondarribia sounds particularly appealing! There's also some useful information (and very good photos) on the Northern Caminos Facebook page (scroll down to the post dated 27 June 2016).

Last edited:
Of course ...I totally agree..as everything written on this forum is up for personal choice/preference...and I take for granted that moderators also have that in mind when commenting. Just to, again, state the obvious...

My advice is of a physical nature. Depending on experience is one thing.....lessen the impact of walking is especially important when starting a camino....and that's a general rule of thumb in my book..

And the alpine alternative ...?....such great momories from overlooking the atlantic coast from above.....on my first day.

You will bee exited whatever route you take...

Go for it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you! I did see the Alpinista route - thought very hard to get details on the varying routes. But it looks like while a little more challenging especially the descend( yes afraid of heights), the scenery, if not raining, is spectacular!

HI All! Im looking at threads and see that many folks walk GI-636. Based on Google Maps, this looks like a pretty straight-forward route but it's a highway. GI-3440 seems to have better views and the road is much quieter. It's a bit longer, but not by much. Does anyone have opinions on either of these two routes? We plan to go May 2017. Thanks kindly!
-Donna

Hi Donna - When in May are you planning to start? Assuming that the flight gods cooperate I will be leaving Irun on May 18th. Maybe our paths will cross. Buen Camino.

Marcella

Thank you! I did see the Alpinista route - thought very hard to get details on the varying routes. But it looks like while a little more challenging especially the descend( yes afraid of heights), the scenery, if not raining, is spectacular!

Yes! Alpinista if you can. Needed my sticks to get up the steep slope to the top but once up there it was like being in Heaven,such fresh air and amazing views. Descending wasn't too bad in my opinion just take your time . If I could do it anyone can. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes! Alpinista if you can. Needed my sticks to get up the steep slope to the top but once up there it was like being in Heaven,such fresh air and amazing views. Descending wasn't too bad in my opinion just take your time . If I could do it anyone can
camino07 - I think you have it exactly right - a little extertion at the start pays great dividends further on. I met a few of the less-athletic sort who just took their time to get up the steep bit and then enjoyed the rest.
Spoiler alert for exhilarating views..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/8677980267/in/album-72157633351850582/lightbox/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/8677985443/in/album-72157633351850582/lightbox/

Donna I can't recommend the Alpine Route enough, on a good day the views are stunning you feel like you're on top of the world! It is steep at first (sticks are highly recommended) but as Camino07 said it evens out and it's just glorious and Tom's photos above do it justice.

A tip to make things easier is to split the first day in two and stay at San Juan de Pasajes before heading to San Sebastian the next day: https://www.gronze.com/pais-vasco/guipuzcoa/pasajes-san-juan/albergue-peregrinos-santa-ana

From memory it's about 15km from Irun and this allows you to really take your time on the higher route and enjoy the scenery. We were able to start a little later, soak in all the lovely views, have a leisurely lunch and wandered into the Albergue about 3.30pm. It says it opens at 4pm but the Hospitalero said they'll often open a little earlier if Pilgrims are around.

I have to say this Albergue was one of those special places you find on the Camino, run by volunteers it's a lovely facility, very comfortable and San Juan is a gorgeous little town to soak up the seaside atmosphere before the tourist crowds at San Sebastian.

Buen Camino!

Am I correct in seeing on the alpine route via video that there is a narrow path where one can hold onto a steel cable? I would like to take the higher route, but that looked a little intimidating for anyone afraid of heights. Can someone confirm...console?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.