• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irun to Santiago de Compostela in 30 days?

NoaNoa

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023, plan is del Norte/Primitivo/Santiago
Hello everyone. Very excited to have committed to walking del Norte/Primitivo in October 2023. I have 30 days and from what I can see, Irun to Santiago is more like 35. I am relatively fit but don't want to be racing and like the idea of some rest days.
Should I start further along and if so where (Bilbao?) Or should I start in Irun and not worry about reaching Santiago? Or, just catch a bus at a couple of sections and make up the time that way? All suggestions and advice much appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am doing the Norte/Primitivo. I am on Day 20 and just reached Grado, first stop after Oviedo. I figure on 11 more days. So I think 30 would be pushing it. I would definitely start in Irun and skip some stops somewhere along the way. You can figure it out when you get here. I may bag the last few stages into Santiago because I have done the Francés and I don’t need the crowds. It will give time to dash up to Muxia and Finisterre.

30 would be pushing it. There are alot of up and downs. The first part is really beautiful so I would not skip those. You have to decide if you really want to go to Santiago. If you do and you want a Compostela than you should walk the first part, evaluate where you are about 10 days before your completion date and walk the last 100k or maybe a little more. You will want to have at least a couple of days in Santiago before heading home. If getting a Compostela and reaching Santiago is not important than just walk. You can always come back later to pick up where you left off.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Stingy Nomads has an outline to do it in 31 days. I'm a fit 67 year old and just finished day 20 on schedule. I could finish in 31 days without pushing too hard. I can see where you could squeeze an extra day after the first hard days.

I am doing the Norte/Primitivo. I am on Day 20 and just reached Grado, first stop after Oviedo. I figure on 11 more days. So I think 30 would be pushing it. I would definitely start in Irun and skip some stops somewhere along the way. You can figure it out when you get here. I may bag the last few stages into Santiago because I have done the Francés and I don’t need the crowds. It will give time to dash up to Muxia and Finisterre.
Thanks Jamie. I will heed your advice on starting in Irun. Depending on progress maybe skip the industrial zones. Good luck on the next ten days and I hope Finisterre is an epic end in place of Santiago

30 would be pushing it. There are alot of up and downs. The first part is really beautiful so I would not skip those. You have to decide if you really want to go to Santiago. If you do and you want a Compostela than you should walk the first part, evaluate where you are about 10 days before your completion date and walk the last 100k or maybe a little more. You will want to have at least a couple of days in Santiago before heading home. If getting a Compostela and reaching Santiago is not important than just walk. You can always come back later to pick up where you left off.
Thank you It56ny. OK, will definitely start at Irun. Good call on importance of reaching Santiago, honestly I don't know. I'm imaging that it could become an important as a goal. But the appeal of just walking and the 'journey being the goal' is also good. So perhaps that bit can be worked out once I'm walking. Much appreiciated

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Stingy Nomads has an outline to do it in 31 days. I'm a fit 67 year old and just finished day 20 on schedule. I could finish in 31 days without pushing too hard. I can see where you could squeeze an extra day after the first hard days.
Will check this out. Good going babikeski.

I took a bus from Santander to Santillana Del Mar and walked to Comillas, skipping the industrial sprawl. You all want to check different apps to find the best coastal trails. The Camino does not always go close. I found Buen Camino had good alternative routes closer to some of the spectacular coastline. Another friend used Gronze to get even closer!

I walked from Bilbao to Santiago in 30 days a few years ago, but in June I'm starting my Norte in Irun so as to enjoy walking the first part of the Norte that I skipped in 2019. I'll be skipping from Bilbao to Oviedo and starting the Primitivo there this time. I mention this because when people talk about skipping parts of the Norte, they often recommend skipping the industrial section after Bilbao. It's true that there are some parts there that are less magnificent, but you shouldn't worry too much about this. There aren't any sections that are irredeemably ugly, there isn't any day's hike that doesn't have some beauty in it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from Bilbao to Santiago in 30 days a few years ago, but in June I'm starting my Norte in Irun so as to enjoy walking the first part of the Norte that I skipped in 2019. I'll be skipping from Bilbao to Oviedo and starting the Primitivo there this time. I mention this because when people talk about skipping parts of the Norte, they often recommend skipping the industrial section after Bilbao. It's true that there are some parts there that are less magnificent, but you shouldn't worry too much about this. There aren't any sections that are irredeemably ugly, there isn't any day's hike that doesn't have some beauty in it.
Thanks Neil. All the best for your walk in June

Yes, Buen Camino app will show you coastal routes to get off the pavement and enjoy beautiful views. Bypassing Oviedo and the urban area from Villiviciosa to Aviles, should also shave off enough days to make your schedule work. It’s great to walk along the coast, but be sure to find the coastal alternatives.

I took a bus from Santander to Santillana Del Mar and walked to Comillas, skipping the industrial sprawl. You all want to check different apps to find the best coastal trails. The Camino does not always go close. I found Buen Camino had good alternative routes closer to some of the spectacular coastline. Another friend used Gronze to get even closer!
For even more coastal routes you can use mapy.cz. I walked the coast from Santander to Boo de Piélagos

20230603_204743.jpg

And from La Isla to Lastres

20230614_095221.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.