• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is 1 hr 15 min layover sufficient at Frankfurt airport for connecting flight to Biarritz with Lufthansa?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just for info: MCT - "Minimum Connection Time" is a thing. Airports define it - not potential passengers and websites. What we make of it for our individual comfort and for our travelling plans, is a separate issue. I recommend some reading:

100% correct! It’s. It’s massive deal for airlines! The lower the MCT the greater the revenue opportunity but the more inaccurate it is, the greater the potential for very significant costs. Even moving a customer to a flight a few hours later will have costs attached. Reservation systems are programmed with MCTs so a Res Agent (or online) cannot offer connnex below MCT.

That said they are averages and many think the FRA times are racy! Historically LH has had a greater proportion of flight at their home airport of FRA than other major European carriers have at their home airport so that will support MCT levels as it will be a ‘same terminal ’ connex.

None of this precludes that we all have our pretences as to connex times!

The upside for airlines is that they have a huge amount of data to make what are very big decisions.

Just for info: MCT - "Minimum Connection Time" is a thing. Airports define it - not potential passengers and websites.
And there is more (if I understand correctly): there's an IATA approved MCT for every airport; the airports themselves can overrules this - they actually do not have one MCT, they can have a myriad of MCTs, depending on terminals and other infrastructure; the airlines themselves can set MCTs for transfers between their own flights at an airport.

The bottom line is, as mentioned a few times already: airlines will not sell tickets for connecting flights where the transfer from their first flight to their second flight is not doable at the airport in question.

Read more here: https://www.oag.com/minimum-connection-time

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And there is more (if I understand correctly): there's an IATA approved MCT for every airport; the airports themselves can overrules this - they actually do not have one MCT, they can have a myriad of MCTs, depending on terminals and other infrastructure; the airlines themselves can set MCTs for transfers between their own flights at an airport.

The bottom line is, as mentioned a few times already: airlines will not sell tickets for connecting flights where they transfer is not doable.

Read more here: https://www.oag.com/minimum-connection-time
Yes that is correct. At ‘home airports’ airports and the major airline world ‘hand in glove’. There is a lot of dialogue!

So many agencies depend on accurate MCTs. Caterers, border control, handling agents!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is 1 hr 15 minutes enough time for the layover at Frankfurt Airport until my flight to Biarritz? This is on Lifthansa. I am American so I assume I go through immigration at Frankfurt when I land
I've flown through Frankfurt over a dozen times connecting to destinations in Europe, Asia and Africa. If your flight is a Transit connection, then you will just go to your next gate and you don't have to go through immigration. Typically, you go through immigration when your connecting flight is domestic and/or you leave the international terminal. Many international airlines will wait for connecting Transit passengers (if it's within a reasonable amount of time). When you disembark your flight, you will see signs for "Transit" and "Immigration / Passport Control" After you depart your flight, remember to ask the gate attendant for the gate number of your connecting flight and follow the signs for "Transit." The gates in the international terminal are not always staffed. If you accidently go through immigration / passport control, then you will have to go through security again and maybe even have to check-in at the ticket counter. The gates in the international terminal are not always staffed. I hope this helps.

I've flown through Frankfurt over a dozen times connecting to destinations in Europe, Asia and Africa. If your flight is a Transit connection, then you will just go to your next gate and you don't have to go through immigration. Typically, you go through immigration when your connecting flight is domestic and/or you leave the international terminal. Many international airlines will wait for connecting Transit passengers (if it's within a reasonable amount of time). When you disembark your flight, you will see signs for "Transit" and "Immigration / Passport Control" After you depart your flight, remember to ask the gate attendant for the gate number of your connecting flight and follow the signs for "Transit." The gates in the international terminal are not always staffed. If you accidently go through immigration / passport control, then you will have to go through security again and maybe even have to check-in at the ticket counter. The gates in the international terminal are not always staffed. I hope this helps.
I don't know what a transit connection is. I fly from the US and this would be the first stop in the EU.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back