• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is 18 Too Young To Go Alone?

smithie630

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP-Santiago, 2018)
I'm a 17-year-old American female planning to walk El Camino Frances in the fall. At that point I will be 18. I have two friends interested in going with me, but they may not be able to come, so I would be walking solo. This would be my first time ever leaving the country or doing anything like this. My parents are worried that I will not be safe hiking by myself. Should I try to find another pilgrim to walk with or is it okay for me to go it alone? Also, I have family in Barcelona if anything happens, and while I wouldn't consider myself fluent, I know a good deal of Spanish.

Thank you in advance! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think you'll be fine. You are (or will be) legally an adult, and you speak Spanish. Absolutely no problem. I travelled alone when I was 18 and I loved it. Besides, you'll be alone for about 5 minutes before you meet people to walk with. I met someone on my first camino before I had even left the airport.

You could encourage your parents to join this forum if they are worried, they can ask any questions they have.

Last edited:
The pilgrims on the Camino are like having an extended family. You will make friends quickly and you can choose when to walk alone and when to walk with others. You will be fine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome smithie630!

I have lived quite a few places here in the states; places that are considered "very safe" I've always felt safer on the camino. I have also walked hundreds of mile on the Caminos with people just a year or two older than you and they did not seem to feel concerned for their safety.

Buen camino!

Hola @smithie630 - another welcome. Well to start with - you have already impressed me with your maturity. Asking questions of "those who know" is (nearly) always a good beginning. As was posted above your knowledge of Spanish and having family in-country are both big pluses.
Camino Safety: the Camino Frances is possibly one of the safest 800km / 500 miles of road and trail in Europe - the events of April 2015 not-withsatanding. Take a mobile/cell phone - get a Spanish sim card and put E20 credit and text your family the new number. That way they will be able to contact you most of the time. (Your mom will be worried about you from the moment you get on the plane until you get home - but them mom's are allowed to worry. )
I am not going to list any do's & don't's - your an adult. You will get more than exercise out of the Camino, its an opportunity to meet people from virtually all 190+ world countries and meet them as an equal. You will also get to meet a number of Spanish people your age and that is a real plus.

So keep up with the Spanish practice and keep up with the walking & physical training.
Buen Camino:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don´t worry too much - and let your parents read this thread. In Sep/Oct last year on camino frances I met two canadian women who had just turned 19 both of them. (Friends just graduated) I myself are a man 45 years old. We quickly became camino friends and I met them on a regular basis and had dinner with them several times and we often slept at the same albergues. But it´s like that on the camino. I would estimate that I met somewhere between 25-30 people that I met again and again and considered my camino friends or family as some call it. And don´t worry - you will meet plenty of people to walk with if you feel unsure or nervous - especially in the early mornings when it´s still dark. Don´t be afraid to talk to other pilgrims or to ask them if it´s okay that you walk with them. I actually had 5 experiences with women that asked me in the early mornings if they could walk with me. The best I have saved for last - people probably won´t leave you alone - in a good way. And forget about age. The youngest I met was 16 and the oldest 74 - people usually don´t care about age on the camino. Buen Camino - have an awesome adventure.

Jesper! Funny meeting you here ;). I am one of the Canadian girls Jesper is speaking of lol.

Do not worry one bit. Yes, I was able to go with a friend from home, but a lot of the times, she and I walked separately and wouldn't see each other for a few days. On the whole Camino, I never felt scared, or even lonely. You will meet people, and you will be so comfortable with them that it will feel like you've known them your whole life.

So my advice, is to just go. With, or without friends :)

I think you'll be fine. You are (or will be) legally an adult, and you speak Spanish. Absolutely no problem. I travelled alone when I was 18 and I loved it. Besides, you'll be alone for about 5 minutes before you meet people to walk with. I met someone on my first camino before I had even left the airport.

You could encourage your parents to join this forum if they are worried, they can ask any questions they have.
Good suggestions Notion

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a 17-year-old American female planning to walk El Camino Frances in the fall. At that point I will be 18. I have two friends interested in going with me, but they may not be able to come, so I would be walking solo. This would be my first time ever leaving the country or doing anything like this. My parents are worried that I will not be safe hiking by myself. Should I try to find another pilgrim to walk with or is it okay for me to go it alone? Also, I have family in Barcelona if anything happens, and while I wouldn't consider myself fluent, I know a good deal of Spanish.

Thank you in advance! Buen Camino!

You are never alone on the Camino... Enjoy!

Go! And yes, of course your parents will worry - that's their job. As others have said, this is not an unsafe thing to do, and you won't be alone - you'll be in an amazing community of people. We walked last summer and there were a lot of "kids" on the Camino - plenty of university students on summer break, young adults in transition and trying to figure out what is next for them, etc. And they all seemed to he having a really good time.

When I was 18, I only had the most basic inkling of this sort of travel - I knew that kids "backpacked" in Europe and other places, but it always seemed that this kind of thing was for other people. The idea of taking off for some period of time and traveling seemed so out of reach that I never really pursued the idea. You have the means and opportunity, so I say "go for it". Don't let the opportunity pass you by.

LOL - Hi Katie - Hilarious. Never thought I would meet anyone else from my camino time in here.
Have you gotten rid of the camino fever? I haven´t - I have decided to go again at around the same time.

The fever has not gone away lol.

and me too!!! I am thinking Camino Portuguese in October. How about you?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Me too - I walked it May 2014 - but I have only kind of bad memories from the stretch from Lisbon to Porto so I need to do it again. It was horribly warm. Between 34 to 42 degrees celsius. Way to hot for someone from Denmark and I guess Canada too. It hit 40 the first day and in 2014 you had to walk 37 km the first day. After 15 km I took a 1 hour break and when I began again I found another pilgrim sitting out in the sun - and she was so weak and dehydrated and didn´t respond to questions - I had to call police and ambulance. The police actually offered to drive me to nearest town. The third day I returned til Lisbon for 3 days and then tried again. I got through it - but hell. Not fun at all. Thats why I have decided to walk in the fall. Like we did last year.

omg! That does sound horrible. I'm hoping it will be just like the weather that we had then lol.

When will you be walking? Right now, my plan is to fly to Lisbon on the 4th of October, and then spend a week or so in the Algarve, then make my way up to Lisbon and start walking on possibly the 12th or 13th. That is the plan as of right now, but who knows lol.

I met a couple of teenage women backpacking around Europe whose parents were so worried about them that they booked them into a whole string of fancy hotels. They were subjected to numerous improper advances by businessmen their parent's age. You'll be much better off on the Camino.

I love all the advice you are getting here. You are going to be just fine. One thing I want to add is listen to your gut...if you feel you might be in a situation that could become uncomfortable then don't feel obligated in ANY way to stay in that situation. As young women we are taught to be polite and nice. Sometimes is ok not to be polite and nice. Also, if you meet and hang out with some of us older folks (I love the mixing of ages on the Camino), listen to them as well. I'm 60 and mother of 2 grown sons. I'd have been happy to provide cover (or just perspective) for any young woman who wasn't completely comfortable with her situation. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well - I am planning to walk at around the same time. But instead of algarve I am going to spend 3-4 days in lisbon. But nothing is 100% sure yet. Would be great to meet up again. Very easy for me to get to Lisbon - so it´s definitely a possibility.

yes, would be very great to see you again.

speak to you later :)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back