• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is 45l back pack excessive for a day pack

Karen2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago May 2017
Hi sorry for another BP post. Hubby and myself are walking Leon to Santiago next May.
We are staying in b&bs etc as I have only recently had a shoulder replacement. Our main bags will be transported.
As we are from a regional (Small) town in Australia we have 1 shop to try on packs. I loved the fit of the 45L over the 28 (osprey) all the rest were 65s.
Is 45s overkill-larger persons so more clothing room. (wet weather gear).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
:oops:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carry all my Camino gear comfortably in a 35L rucksack. So 45L does sound like overkill to me just for a day pack. However, if you find it comfortable to carry and you do not intend filling it up with unnecessary gear then I see no good reason why you shouldn't use it. You might also find a good use for the extra capacity on some other occasion.

I would think that 45l is a bit large for a day pack. However, if you've tried it on and are comfortable with it why not. Far better than a smaller pack that doesn't fit well and makes you miserable after a long day of walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with what has already been said. It is very large for a day pack, but better a comfortable over-sized pack than an uncomfortable smaller one. It will require self discipline not to carry unneeded extra pounds of food and water. Also remember that your transported luggage will likely be delivered to the door and you will be responsible for getting it/them and your daypack(s) to your sleeping location. I stayed in private rooms most of the time and walked up a lot of stairs.

Hi sorry for another BP post. Hubby and myself are walking Leon to Santiago next May.
We are staying in b&bs etc as I have only recently had a shoulder replacement. Our main bags will be transported.
As we are from a regional (Small) town in Australia we have 1 shop to try on packs. I loved the fit of the 45L over the 28 (osprey) all the rest were 65s.
I agree with several others that 45L seems like overkill for a day pack. Something like 20-22 litres sounds more reasonable to me, since all you'll really be carrying is rain gear, snacks, a water bottle, and perhaps a camera. Since you have almost a year to prepare, have you considered mail ordering a smaller pack than what is available locally? Perhaps the local dealer can order one for you, which may be more desirable if mail ordering limits your return or exchange possibilities.

I'm concerned that a 45L pack will be several pounds empty. I carried a 26L Osprey as my main pack, never transported. Everything fit with room to spare (even carried the big boots for a couple of days (they were too hot) before finally donating them). So a 45L for a just day pack seems way heavy. Frankly, I'd just go with a small, frameless bag like REI Flash 18 (about 10oz) or Sea to Summit Ultrasil (I think called a "travel day pack" in Australia, about 70grams). Carry a poncho, a small water bottle, sun block, and not much more.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Absolutely crazy -even your main pack doesn't need to be 45L - a 10L day pack would be enough to carry a rain jacket, spare top, hat and gloves with side pockets for 2 x 0.5L bottles
In fact, you might fit enough in a waist pack

As I understand it, you will walk each day carrying only what you need for the day. Others above have made suggestions. It's over to you two to put what you think you will each need while walking from last night's b&b to the one for tonight into two heaps.

Everything else, of course, will go in one or more cases and be transported for you.

I suggest you each take your minimal day needs to your one shop and see what size pack you will each need. And if that proves unsatisfactory then go and see the bright lights of Perth for a few days.

Kia kaha (be brave / be strong)

Do take the 45 l as a daypack. Small daypacks are not good for carrying for hours, and you do need to put something into it: All raingear stuff, firstaid kit, food for the day, water, some dry socks, perhaps a fleece or something like that, all important personal belongings and valuables, medisines and so on. In fact everything you might need during the day and everything you can't afford to loose.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with what has already been said. It is very large for a day pack, but better a comfortable over-sized pack than an uncomfortable smaller one. It will require self discipline not to carry unneeded extra pounds of food and water. Also remember that your transported luggage will likely be delivered to the door and you will be responsible for getting it/them and your daypack(s) to your sleeping location. I stayed in private rooms most of the time and walked up a lot of stairs.
Thanks for the heads up

Thanks everyone, I am thinking we will do a weekend in Perth and visit all the outdoor shops, purchasing our gear there and as suggested fitting it into the Back Pack. Exciting

My suggestion might be to weigh the packs as you are going through this process. Bigger packs usually have much more weight in the frames, materials and hardnesses than smaller packs so it isn't a matter of saying a 28L is only 62% of a 45L. In fact it may actually be much lighter overall. In the end if you're carrying day items (rain coat, pants, water, etc) you may end up doubling the overall carry weight by having a large day pack instead of a small (18-24L) pack. My 24L Osprey weighs 2lbs but my 50L Osprey weighs close to 5lbs. Over 100kms that may not mean much but over 800kms it makes a difference! Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm concerned that a 45L pack will be several pounds empty.
Buen Camino,
Jo Jo
My 45L Mammut pack weighs less and carries far more comfortably than my 35L frameless Lowe Alpine pack.

I'm suffering on the Camino now with the 35L pack because people on this forum scared me away from a tried and true pack that I knew should work. But the size is bigger than people here recommend. So I grabbed the frameless 35L pack, which actually weighs about 2 ounces more thanthe larger framed pack and I'm having shoulder pain daily.

Most packs I see are in the 35 to 65 Liter size range. Most have an internal frame, many smaller packs are frameless. Packs with frames, at least for me, are far more comfortable.

A big pack can carry very comfortably and easily if it is properly fitted. I honestly think most pack weight/size recommendations this forum should be relegated to the trash bin.

I should have trusted what I knew works, a backpack I've carried on other long hikes, and ignored most of what I see here. Very few people on this forum have much hiking experience, several have minimalist day packing experience, and lots have bought into hype that works for some, is preached by many, but may not really be based on a wide range of actual experience.

FWIW if I can't find a good pack in Leon in a few days when I get there then I'm having my daughter bring my 45L pack to Spain when she meets us in about 10 days.

JMHO

Last edited:
I'm believe @jozero makes a very useful point. If you have shoulder issues you may wish to have everything as light as possible.
A properly fitted pack should not put weight on the shoulders. The shoulder straps hold the pack upright, keeping balanced, weight should be carried on your hips.

That said, a pack that weighs 2.0 pounds and a pack that weighs 2.0KG both should feel the same on your shoulders ... Assuming they fit properly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The answer to the question posed remains the same - for everybody (but especially for someone walking in May and with a shoulder replacement) a 45L is far too much for a day pack - with their main bags being transported, all that the day pack needs to contain are some spare clothes to cover expected changes in the weather, food and liquid

My recommendation for a summer camino is to carry the very minimal amount of gear and fill the rest of the small pack with food and liquid

The temptation with large packs is to fill them up with unnecessary gear for a sequence of shortish day walks bookended with accomodation - your shoulder problem is more likely to come from carrying excessive weight rather than merely the pack

Frankly, I'd just go with a small, frameless bag like REI Flash 18 (about 10oz) or Sea to Summit Ultrasil (I think called a "travel day pack" in Australia, about 70grams
I carry a Sea to Summit Ultrasil in my regular pack for carrying valuables, etc., after I check in after a day's walk but I do not recommend it as a regular pack for long hours of use daily. The straps are very thin cloth and the bag really does not work well for lengthy walks. I love it, but would not use it for your purposes. I'd go with something sturdier.

I second all the comments to the effect that a 45 liter pack which is comfortable would be fine. Larger than you need, but fine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I carry a Sea to Summit Ultrasil in my regular pack for carrying valuables, etc., after I check in after a day's walk but I do not recommend it as a regular pack for long hours of use daily. The straps are very thin cloth and the bag really does not work well for lengthy walks. I love it, but would not use it for your purposes. I'd go with something sturdier.

I second all the comments to the effect that a 45 liter pack which is comfortable would be fine. Larger than you need, but fine.
I also have a Sea To Summit UltraSil pack, little pack, but I agree wiwith everything you said.

Unframed packs, both big and small, are designed to hang on the shoulders. For someone fresh from shoulder surgery a pack like that would be brutal.

From the point of view of volume far too big. After all what will you be carrying day to day? Food, water, suncream, poncho, camera, guide book?

However if it's a comfortable, well fitted pack that doesn't in itself weigh too much why not? You don't have to fill it up!

Of course if your husband had a 45 litre pack for both of you then you might not need anything at all :)

Counting the days (41 to go)

Hi Karen, lots of differing opinions above. The size of the pack you are about to buy is not really important, as most modern backpacks, of any size, are “lightweight”. The important consideration, for you, having recently had a shoulder replacement, is to keep the weight off your shoulders. Daypacks don’t do that; they literally hang from your shoulders. (And once you have loaded it with water, food, raincoat, camera, guidebook, first aid kit, ipad . . . it can get quite heavy.:() Larger backpacks should sit on your hips, and you carry the weight of the backpack and its contents on your hips; much like a mother puts the weight of the toddler she’s carrying onto her hip:rolleyes:. SMALL backpacks with waistbelts can be a disaster. If the pack is not long enough for your back, the weight will still be carried from your shoulders. So, if the fit of the 45L feels good for you, go with it! Load it with 2 or 3 kgs, loosen ALL the straps, and then fasten the waistbelt around your hips. ALL the weight MUST be on your hips. The ONLY reason for the shoulder straps being there is to keep the backpack in place against your back. You should be able to flick a shoulder strap off your shoulder with no effect, as the pack is being supported by your hips. Go with the 45L. BUT, go to a bigger store too, and see what else is on the market; some brands are better than others. Buen camino! Jill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks everyone we are going with the 45. Yes overkill but it fits my body better and the decent hip belt gets the weight away from my shoulders. If everything goes wrong there will be a brand new Osprey BP at the donation bench.o_O

Thanks everyone we are going with the 45. Yes overkill but it fits my body better and the decent hip belt gets the weight away from my shoulders. If everything goes wrong there will be a brand new Osprey BP at the donation bench.o_O

By the way, my husband and I saved the cost of bag transportation (on the C2C trail in the UK), by each taking our normal-sized backpacks (35L and 45L) as day packs, and having ONE overnight bag transported between us. We kept the weight of both our overnight gear (change of clothes, pyjamas, toiletries, a couple of books, etc) to under 15kgs, which all went into the one overnight holdall. The empty holdall folds up small, and went into one of our backpacks for the journey to and from the UK. Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
By the way, my husband and I saved the cost of bag transportation (on the C2C trail in the UK), by each taking our normal-sized backpacks (35L and 45L) as day packs, and having ONE overnight bag transported between us. We kept the weight of both our overnight gear (change of clothes, pyjamas, toiletries, a couple of books, etc) to under 15kgs, which all went into the one overnight holdall. The empty holdall folds up small, and went into one of our backpacks for the journey to and from the UK. Jill
Hi Jill, not sure what we are doing with this bit, we have we have 3 night in various places getting to Madrid from Australia then we are recuperating in Phuket (5 nights) on the way home as we fly back through Hong Kong. No idea how/what to pack :rolleyes::).

Hi Jill, not sure what we are doing with this bit, we have we have 3 night in various places getting to Madrid from Australia then we are recuperating in Phuket (5 nights) on the way home as we fly back through Hong Kong. No idea how/what to pack :rolleyes::).
It depends on where you intend to do your post-Camino shopping. This year my wife and I deferred most of our shopping to the few days we had in London, and bought a cheap-ish suitcase there for all the little extras (~15kg of them!). On the way to Spain, we travelled separately, and Elaine was spending a few days in Barcelona and Pamplona before we met up and walked. She carried a larger carry on bag in addition to her back-pack that went into the hold in back-pack carry bag. She then posted the carry-on, back-pack carry bag and other items she did not want to carry to Ivar from Pamplona, and collected it when we arrived in Santiago. The carry-on became checked baggage from London to Australia together with our packs and the extra suitcase.

How much post-Camino shopping you can do and where will depend on the baggage entitlements. I have always bought a ticket that includes hold baggage when using Ryanair or Easyjet from Santiago to London, but generally they have a less generous hold baggage allowance than you will find on the flights into and out of Australia.

To each their own, but that's a bigger pack than what I'm taking to graduation.... then following that to the Camino! I can fit several days of clothes in my 1.0 Liter. So, obviously my answer would be no, no, no.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having some extra room for food, particularly bread if you do not like squashed bread, is handy. However 45L is a bit on the large size. I doubt that you will save weight with a slightly smaller pack, and you certainly will not save money if you have to buy a smaller one! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would much rather carry a large comfortable pack than a small uncomfortable one.
BINGO!

FWIW I just bought a Deuter 40+10 liter pack in Leon. Donated my 35liter pack to the Alburgue run buy the Dominican sisters.

My wife is having some leg pain issues, I will move some of her stuff into my pack. She told me I should have gotten an even bigger pack so I could carry more!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.