• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a cotton/silk liner enough for sleeping?

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
I start may 1 for the CF. I am doubting of bringing a sleeping bag or liner. I am a warm sleeper, am always warm, should a liner be enough?
What is a good and cheap cotton silk liner?
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes by May it is getting very warm. I am not sure if you can get sea to summit items but if so look at there liners

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I start may 1 for the CF. I am doubting of bringing a sleeping bag or liner. I am a warm sleeper, am always warm, should a liner be enough?
Thanks!

Yellowfriend:

It will still be cold in the mountains, I would bring a lightweight sleeping bag.

Unless you plan to stay in private accommodation or plan to sleep in your clothes.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks!
I am assuming you will pack a fleece jacket with you, I also live in a cold climate, but I found Spain much warmer even though I brought a bag good to -10c that I stopped using the last week of April. If you can't find a liner you like there are also down blankets you should be able to order online. Look to see if you can buy thru Costco.com. They are very thin & light weight. I am confident even if you can't find one where you live you can find something in SJPDP Spain or in Pamplona.

I froze for the duration of 13 days of walking in May of 2013. And I sleep with windows open at home when it's 20 below. I had to wait until reaching Burgos to buy a sleeping bag, and all they had was a mummy shape. The nights not sleeping because I was so cold made for difficult walking days. And even with the bag, and clothes on, and silk scarf, it was cold. Plus the albergues were kept cool during the afternoon so we went to bed cold and never got a chance to warm up.

I have also walked in May in temps in the high 20s. In thise cases the liner is enough, and carrying a pound or so of extra weight in case the cold comes in is well worth it for me.

The Costco down blankets are made by Double Black Diamond and cost around 30$. They are short though, so great for shorter people like me: 5'4" or inches. Draw back is that the shinny material they are made with is slippery and slips off the bed. I will now have mine attache to my liner with snap bottons or something like that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Yellowfriend I walked the CF in September/October 2014 and a shorter version in April/May 2015. The first time I took just a silk liner and I really did feel cold. I wore my fleece to bed every other night. I bought a sleeping bag in Astorga, which sadly was the first opportunity I had... so I had a lot of cold nights before that.

I've since invested in a really light quilt (enlightened equipment) and I love it. I still use the silk liner... which I also love. The two work well together. I walked the VdlP autumn 2016 and towards the end of the walk it was pretty chilly but the liner and the quilt worked wonderfully together.

I should say that I do feel the cold... but I would recommend you take something to boost the warmth of the liner :rolleyes:

I started May 16th and was fine with only my very light bag.

The only place that was even close to cold was the first day over into Roncesvalles. After that it was warm and then hot in the meseta.

Even doing the English Camino at the very end of October and having come from Turkey I didn't find it cold at all.

I started May 16th and was fine with only my very light bag.

The only place that was even close to cold was the first day over into Roncesvalles. After that it was warm and then hot in the meseta.

Even doing the English Camino at the very end of October and having come from Turkey I didn't find it cold at all.
What kind of bag did you use? Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks!
I'm a warm sleeper too. I've walked sections of the Camino in later September/early October the last two years and have been perfectly fine with just a silk liner. Very lightweight too.

Instead of a silk liner here is another option from Sea to Summit. It's called a 'Thermolite Reactor Extreme' and although I don't actually believe it will add 25c to your sleeping experience, I did buy it for when I need a little warmth booster in my sleeping bag and it certainly does do that! Could be a good standalone for possible chilly nights at higher altitude. HERE is a link if you are interested.Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 7.57.40 AM.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A silk liner is useful against bed bugs should you encounter them rather than cotton. I walked April and May and was pleased I had a lightweight sleeping bag with me. Not all albergues have blankets although most do. I also took a thermatec reflective very lightweight blanket. It worked well but I could have managed without it.

I'm a warm sleeper too. I've walked sections of the Camino in later September/early October the last two years and have been perfectly fine with just a silk liner. Very lightweight too.
Yes, but September is still summer, where as May 1st is a lot like spring. Not much
Lucy, why do you say a silk liner more useful than cotton against bed bugs??
This is a myth. Silk is better though because it is lighter and keeps you cooler as well as warmer than cotton. But it won't help you one bit against bedbugs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I froze for the duration of 13 days of walking in May of 2013. And I sleep with windows open at home when it's 20 below. I had to wait until reaching Burgos to buy a sleeping bag, and all they had was a mummy shape. The nights not sleeping because I was so cold made for difficult walking days. And even with the bag, and clothes on, and silk scarf, it was cold. Plus the albergues were kept cool during the afternoon so we went to bed cold and never got a chance to warm up.

I have also walked in May in temps in the high 20s. In thise cases the liner is enough, and carrying a pound or so of extra weight in case the cold comes in is well worth it for me.

The Costco down blankets are made by Double Black Diamond and cost around 30$. They are short though, so great for shorter people like me: 5'4" or inches. Draw back is that the shinny material they are made with is slippery and slips off the bed. I will now have mine attache to my liner with snap bottons or something like that.
My daughter and I are also starting in the beginning of May. We camp quite a bit, so we have summer and winter bags. Our summer bags keep us warm to about 40• F, and since they weigh a bit less, we were considering bringing those WITH a silk liner. We figured we could just use the liner when it got warmer, but use both in the beginning. Do you think this would be enough? We tend to run warm, but still like to be cozy at night.

My daughter and I are also starting in the beginning of May. We camp quite a bit, so we have summer and winter bags. Our summer bags keep us warm to about 40• F, and since they weigh a bit less, we were considering bringing those WITH a silk liner. We figured we could just use the liner when it got warmer, but use both in the beginning. Do you think this would be enough? We tend to run warm, but still like to be cozy at night.
Yes, it will almost certainly be enough. If it isn't then you will layer up and manage. I would not travel on the camino at any time of year without a sleeping bag, but a 40F bag will likely be warm enough, even without the liner.

P.S. I agree that it is a popular myth about silk deterring bedbugs. Also agree that silk is a fabulous fabric.

Yes, it will almost certainly be enough. If it isn't then you will layer up and manage. I would not travel on the camino at any time of year without a sleeping bag, but a 40F bag will likely be warm enough, even without the liner.

P.S. I agree that it is a popular myth about silk deterring bedbugs. Also agree that silk is a fabulous fabric.
I did see that Sea to Summit makes a bag liner pretreated with an insect shield. I think I'll order us two of those!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did see that Sea to Summit makes a bag liner pretreated with an insect shield. I think I'll order us two of those!
I had one and jsed ot on all but half of my last Camino: it was stolen from my bed during the communal meal! It is very comfy because the material it is made with is a light knit.

I had one and jsed ot on all but half of my last Camino: it was stolen from my bed during the communal meal! It is very comfy because the material it is made with is a light knit.
What kind of people steel something on the Camino.....:mad:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    796.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.png
    image.png
    373 KB · Views: 4
What kind of people steel something on the Camino.....:mad:
Tell me about it! It happened at Casa Fernanda, where there are what, 12 beds in the dorm. A few hard core walkers arrived late, had dinner, left the table just after eating, not partaking in the singing etc. So by the time the rest of us got back to the dorm, and I looked for my liner a bit, I figured I would find it the next day in full light. By then the hardcore walkers had moved on, and so had my liner ...

And to thise who love hearing how there are shops everywhere and if you need something you will find it, it took me three days of walking before finding a place that sold a bedsheet for me to use as a replacement. Good thing I had my duvet.

It was great on the Camino said:
I'm curious Rometimed, what the difference was on the Coast to Coast. Was it the same time of year? Were you staying in hostels, camping, or B&B's? What were the indoor temperatures?

Lucy, why do you say a silk liner more useful than cotton against bed bugs??
I read that bed bugs don't like silk. I cannot remember if I read it on the threads on this forum or elsewhere. Either way I cannot say for sure if it is true or not. I did not get bitten by bed bugs on the two long caminos I walked but my sleeping bag was also treated against bed bugs. I also had an under sheet that was treated too. Maybe these things worked or maybe there were not any where I slept.

Yes, but September is still summer, where as May 1st is a lot like spring. Not much

This is a myth. Silk is better though because it is lighter and keeps you cooler as well as warmer than cotton. But it won't help you one bit against bedbugs.
Yes, silk is good anyway because it is light. How do you know it is a myth? Did you get bitten when you slept with a silk liner?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks!

I suggest the use of a sleeping bag liner in my book (Kindle edition). Most allergies, and of course all hotels, provide blankets. They're not regularly laundered, but especially during warm weather, the liner is clean (or at least it's your own filth), and the blankets should be sufficient. In a cooler month, a light sleeping bag (rated for 50+ degree) is perfect.

Yes, silk is good anyway because it is light. How do you know it is a myth? Did you get bitten when you slept with a silk liner?

The link below is to one of many main stream media pieces on silk amd bedbugs. Basically, even assuming bedbugs coan get through cotton but not silk, do you not have your head sticking out of the liner? Your hands, arms? Is there never a gap during the night that the bug can crawl along to get to you?

Even if bb were killed on contact with silk, which they are not, you would need a onesie with a hood, a masque and attached slippers/feet.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12133597/...your-bed-bug-questions-answered/#.WHv8yrQS-hA

And if silk did it, one would think that noone would be spraying permetryn on clothes and bedsheets, including the military. Just line ot with silk would be the way to do it.

I read that they love the toehold silk gives them. I think I read it on the internet...
Ahh! That explains it! I hadn't realized that bedbugs had toes.

How do you know it is a myth?
Actually we can't prove a negative. But no reliable systematic observations have demonstrated any truth in it.

I walk in May every year.
There's no way I would go without a sleeping bag.
Some albergues no longer give out blankets, the first being Roncesvalles.
A lightweight sleeping bag will keep you more comfortable in my opinion, unless you're super hot-blooded.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My thoughts, for what they are worth:

I've walked twice. In July/Aug, coolmax liner is all you will ever want (take something cheap for Roncevalles, where there are no blankets, the leave it on the donation table). Last two weeks of September last year were the same. Then, Oct 1 it got much cooler. Still had only a liner (a slightly warmer version but not the Reactor--too heavy (for less than that weight I would take a down quilt)). Worked because I had a down jacket that I could sleep in as needed.

Next time I walk in the cooler months, I'll still just take a liner, but add a very small down blanket for my legs (usually on the CF the alburgues have them, but not always, including not the municipal in O'Cerebrio (sic)). Looking at this blanket. http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124594. 4oz. With a liner that is about the same weight as EE quilt, but I like being surrounded by a liner (sprayed with permethrin) given the bed bug situation and quilts, by design, leave you unwrapped on the bottom.

I sleep pretty warm, but my Cuban and perpetually chilly wife used the same liner/down jacket system and slept like baby.

YMMV. Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Tell me about it! It happened at Casa Fernanda, where there are what, 12 beds in the dorm. A few hard core walkers arrived late, had dinner, left the table just after eating, not partaking in the singing etc. So by the time the rest of us got back to the dorm, and I looked for my liner a bit, I figured I would find it the next day in full light. By then the hardcore walkers had moved on, and so had my liner ...

And to thise who love hearing how there are shops everywhere and if you need something you will find it, it took me three days of walking before finding a place that sold a bedsheet for me to use as a replacement. Good thing I had my duvet.
My thoughts on this.
1) if I didn't NEED it I wouldn't be bringing it.
2) I have a very limited BUDGET fro doing this Camino and have worked VERY hard and saved for a VERY long time to be able to do it.
3) it's not only about losing the material thing that you may NEED, but equally as importantly, if not MORE, is the fact that when you're robbed you're completely VIOLATED! What can be more important then respect and trust?! When you're robbed of something material, you're also robbed of those things.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.