• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a laptop a good idea?

Nienke91

Time of past OR future Camino
1st time Camino Frances - 11 april
Hi all,

As I'm planning to post blogs/vlogs/photos/short docu's on my website when walking the Camino, I want to bring my laptop. I have thought about using internet café's or my iPad, but I'd like to edit video's on my computer first. Even though it's an old one, I am worried about losing it. Is it safe to bring a (video)camera (compact camera) & laptop on the Camino?

And, how about internet? Is there often Wi-Fi available?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you considered the extra weight carrying a laptop?
I even leave my Kindle at home..:D
And regarding wifi on the Camino...there seems to be even more wifi than yellow flechas.
Good luck!

Haha, yes I have considered it. That's why I ask. I love to work with the editing program on my computer and I use the laptop often for Photoshop, Indesign, and so on. I'm an artist that works mostly digital, so... I have the feeling I just have to take my precious laptop :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, as long as you don't mind taking your laptop into the shower with you. And the toilet. Any everywhere else you go.
Haha I love your honesty. Okay, good one to consider. Are you taking all your stuff with you, everywhere you go? I kind of trust everyone quite easily, so I'm quite forgetful and just put my stuff everywhere I am not...

No, not everything, but everything of real value. So I take my smartphone (and wallet and passport) into the shower with me, in a waterproof bag. And everywhere else. People on the Camino are generally honest but it is not Disneyland and a laptop lying around would be a big temptation to some.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When are you going @Nienke91? I will be better able to answer your question after my grand daughter starts walking with hers. We are leaving SJPP on April 15. I think it is a horrible idea to have to lug the extra weight and concern ourselves with the extra security, but in her case, it is the only way that she can travel as she will be completing online classes for university. So for us it is worth it and there will be two of us to watch over it when showering, etc. It will be sent ahead to Ivar as soon as she no longer has the need for it (early May).

No, not everything, but everything of real value. So I take my smartphone (and wallet and passport) into the shower with me, in a waterproof bag. And everywhere else. People on the Camino are generally honest but it is not Disneyland and a laptop lying around would be a big temptation to some.
I think a laptop will be safer on the Camino than taking it with you to Disneyland

When are you going @Nienke91? I will be better able to answer your question after my grand daughter starts walking with hers. We are leaving SJPP on April 15. I think it is a horrible idea to have to lug the extra weight and concern ourselves with the extra security, but in her case, it is the only way that she can travel as she will be completing online classes for university. So for us it is worth it and there will be two of us to watch over it when showering, etc. It will be sent ahead to Ivar as soon as she no longer has the need for it (early May).

I'm leaving SJPP at April 15th as well ;) I'll be walking by myself, so I guess I'll have to really re-think about what to bring. I'm currently thinking about extending my iPad mini with a keyboard, therefore I can connect my camera with Wi-Fi to the iPad and edit my drawings, photo's and videos on the iPad instead of a computer :) A compact camera, iPad mini and small phone is also easy to take with me everywhere I go (as in: the shower)...!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm leaving SJPP at April 15th as well ;) I'll be walking by myself, so I guess I'll have to really re-think about what to bring. I'm currently thinking about extending my iPad mini with a keyboard, therefore I can connect my camera with Wi-Fi to the iPad and edit my drawings, photo's and videos on the iPad instead of a computer :) A compact camera, iPad mini and small phone is also easy to take with me everywhere I go (as in: the shower)...!
We will most likely see you in SJPP before you leave us in the dust. Your new plan does sound much better. Think "simple and safe". Buen Camino.

Leave it at home. Of ot's an old one it will weigh about a 25% of all the stuff you should be taking. Also, there no longer are internet cafes to be found.

Question: why blog? For others? If so, there are already so many lf them out there for people to learn about the Caminos. For yourself? To keep memories? Just live the Camino. The more you live it the more memorable it will be. The Camino is not about site seeing, it's about the process, and I would be afraid that as you spend all this time blogging away about distances and churches you walked by you will create a bubble that will cit you off from experiences, with others, and within yourself. There's something to be said about not having much to think about when on the Camino; funny things can happen, but only if you let them, and typing away and thinking about layout, and gathering info won't leave much room for that to happen.

Leave it behind. You'll be glad you did.
Carrying it for hundreds of miles won't be fun and why have to worry about where it is at all times?

Wifi is available but can be sketchy and slow.
I just used my smartphone to send home daily updates and photos. You can tweak the videos when you get home.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leave it at home. Of ot's an old one it will weigh about a 25% of all the stuff you should be taking. Also, there no longer are internet cafes to be found.

Question: why blog? For others? If so, there are already so many lf them out there for people to learn about the Caminos. For yourself? To keep memories? Just live the Camino. The more you live it the more memorable it will be. The Camino is not about site seeing, it's about the process, and I would be afraid that as you spend all this time blogging away about distances and churches you walked by you will create a bubble that will cit you off from experiences, with others, and within yourself. There's something to be said about not having much to think about when on the Camino; funny things can happen, but only if you let them, and typing away and thinking about layout, and gathering info won't leave much room for that to happen.

Good question. To answer: I'm currently graduating at an interdisciplinary art school with an auto-ethnography on staying true to oneself and finding happiness. In addition to writing my thesis about this subject, I'm also implementing the theme 'auto-ethnography' on the final artistic outcome. I'm currently running an online, magazine for Dutch thirty-year-olds on spirituality, philosophy & art. It's a bit of a 'movement' that wants to break with all the perfect websites that focus on creating ego's (in my opinion). The autobiographical part of my graduation is the part where I'll try to find 'my' answer to what happiness means to me in life. For me, that has to do with my connection with Nature. I share my raw insights on life on the magazing using videosnacks (I don't like the term vlog), short documentaries, texts/poems, photography, drawings (whatever comes around). As an artist, I work multidisciplinary, but stories & holism is what drives me. So in a way, yes, I am framing the pelgrimage in a 'form'. I've always wanted to walk the Camino and now that I have a reason, it's easier for me to go. As an artist, I just want to share the experience with people that normally wouldn't be interested in spirituality (and the Camino). And yes, if my bag gets stolen or all my stuff breaks or life overwhelms me and I don't feel like sharing... I'm okay with that :)

And you could consider taking a good old fashioned paper notebook with you. There is something very soothing in writing down one's thoughts sipping a coffee/ beer / Aquarius after you finished your daily chores in the albergue.

I actually hauled a laptop (small HP 11") on my first Camino Frances. Before too many shake their head at me for doing that, in my defense I was working overseas at the time, went straight from there to the Camino, laptop included. It weighed about a kilo and I had a neoprene zip case for it.
I grew to hate it on the Camino, ha ha. Hated it for its weight and all it stood for. :D Ironically, it blue screened on me a couple of months after I finished the Camino and I trashed it.
I left it in my pack when I showered, etc. Never really worried about it getting stolen, unlike my passport, credit cards and money. Those stayed with me 24/7 on the Camino.
If you don't mind hauling the weight around, go ahead.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

As I'm planning to post blogs/vlogs/photos/short docu's on my website when walking the Camino, I want to bring my laptop. I have thought about using internet café's or my iPad, but I'd like to edit video's on my computer first. Even though it's an old one, I am worried about losing it. Is it safe to bring a (video)camera (compact camera) & laptop on the Camino?

I wouldn't worry about equipment like a laptop. People staying at Albergues are walking the camino and, even if they are tempted to steal it, they'd likely consider the weight of the potential acquisition and leave it in place.

I'd be worried about keeping the equipment dry.

And, I'm sure I'd be kicking myself for bringing the dead weight.

I would take the videos and edit them when I got home.

Yep. We all have lives beyond the Camino but since you asked, I would still suggest leaving as much of that as possible behind. There is something very freeing about having less to worry about and it does allow one to be more present in the Camino experience.

All of the details of our "regular" lives will be waiting for us when we get home.

Buen Camino

I take a iPod. Small. Light weight. I have a European charger.
iPod serves as camera, wifi device to check e mail, write some notes, calendar etc etc.

All comments above are correct..... NB weighs...and seems to weigh more and more each day. Have to secure it. Guess you could leave it in your pack and hope it doesn't grow feet and run away on you.
Or baby sit it when you go potty and to take a shower. Great love affair you will have with it.

Wifi hot spots are all over the place in Spain/France. No problem finding a hot spot. Bars, cafes, hostels, hotels, bus/train stations, and more.

Now there is another option.... take your lap top, camera, etc and have them shipped via van/taxi service to the next stop you will be at. That way you don't have to lag it on your back between towns.

Many posts about the lag van service between towns on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good question. To answer: I'm currently graduating at an interdisciplinary art school with an auto-ethnography on staying true to oneself and finding happiness. In addition to writing my thesis about this subject, I'm also implementing the theme 'auto-ethnography' on the final artistic outcome. I'm currently running an online, magazine for Dutch thirty-year-olds on spirituality, philosophy & art. It's a bit of a 'movement' that wants to break with all the perfect websites that focus on creating ego's (in my opinion). The autobiographical part of my graduation is the part where I'll try to find 'my' answer to what happiness means to me in life. For me, that has to do with my connection with Nature. I share my raw insights on life on the magazing using videosnacks (I don't like the term vlog), short documentaries, texts/poems, photography, drawings (whatever comes around). As an artist, I work multidisciplinary, but stories & holism is what drives me. So in a way, yes, I am framing the pelgrimage in a 'form'. I've always wanted to walk the Camino and now that I have a reason, it's easier for me to go. As an artist, I just want to share the experience with people that normally wouldn't be interested in spirituality (and the Camino). And yes, if my bag gets stolen or all my stuff breaks or life overwhelms me and I don't feel like sharing... I'm okay with that :)
Nienke91, normally I would encourage you to consider the weight, but I can see your heart is truly going to be in this experience and especially as an artist, I would do what your heart says. Because of the weight, any 'would-be culprit' might think twice. I admire what you are doing and how you are thinking about life, both for yourself and others. Choose your own way. Wish you Buen Camino.

Hi 91,

I can certainly understand your desire to bring a laptop. I also enjoy writing, blogging and photography. On my first Camino I carried an iPad and blogged regularly, on my second Camino (Portugal) I carried a small camera, pen and pencil and did not blog about the trip until I returned home ( https://brickthomasblog.wordpress.c...ne-camino-portuguese-camino-finesterre-muxia/). The second Camino had more room for auto-ethnography. Blogging, filming, editing, searching for wifi, etc. all takes time away from self-reflection and meeting and collecting stories from other pilgrims. If you blog, vlog, surf the net, etc. every day at home your Camino experience could become strikingly similar to a day in the office. But if that is what makes you happy bring your laptop, it's your Camino. If I were to do a third Camino I would probably take more inclusive notes and a better camera, but I would again try to stay off the net, on the Camino and in the moment. Enjoy your hike. Brick

answer: I'm currently graduating at an interdisciplinary art school with an auto-ethnography on staying true to oneself and finding happiness. ..
As an artist, I just want to share the experience with people that normally wouldn't be interested in spirituality (and the Camino). And yes, if my bag gets stolen or all my stuff breaks or life overwhelms me and I don't feel like sharing... I'm okay with that :)
Keep your nose in the computer and thinking about reporting back on finding happiness and yourself and you won't find the Camino, yourself nor happiness, you will just walk along others who are doing all that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all,

Can't speak to internet on the Camino (will be doing my first in April) but I can re: taking computer because you and I seem the same "artistically". I use an iPad with keyboard when I am adventuring. Weighs a lot less than lap top and I can do photo and video edits so easily using the touch screen. Some through trail hikers I know use their iPhone with an attachable key board (same one you can use with iPad). I am considering that option for my Camino.

Hi all,

Hi all,

I am one of those guys who almost always has my laptop with me (I used to run an internet business), but I'm purposefully leaving the laptop behind this time so I can try my best to disconnect. As everyone says, it's really your camino, so it's what you make of it. But I have to ask, do you really need to be editing videos and updating websites during your walk? Can you simply wait until the end (35 days roughly) and work on it then? Seems like a lot of extra weight to carry and potentially missed opportunities socializing with future friends for something that could be deferred until later. Just my thoughts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An interesting question. I would tend to agree with those that say all the editing, uploading, and trying to find suitable WiFi will detract from the experience and may even isolate you a little from what's going on around you. And personally, I wouldn't want to carry the weight.

On the flip-side, I also blogged my way across Spain. But........ all I did was take a few pictures each day (on phone), record my thoughts on audio (phone recorder), and shoot one or two very short video clips each day (also on phone). All up ..... a few minutes a day. This was all on impulse as things occurred and did not at all intrude on the experience. It became my diary...

The big difference was, all I did at night was upload stuff to online storage. Formatting and editing 'on the run' would have taken far too long and eaten into my time to enjoy the experience.

By the way, whilst there is WiFi everywhere, some is really slow and obviously has lots of people connecting to it. I mainly used the data allowance on my phone to upload.

But whatever you decide......don't get too buried in the task of recording your journey.....so that you miss the beauty of the journey itself ;) (Inner and outer)

Haha I love your honesty. Okay, good one to consider. Are you taking all your stuff with you, everywhere you go? I kind of trust everyone quite easily, so I'm quite forgetful and just put my stuff everywhere I am not...
@Nienke91 - I agree with Kanga. You to devise a security device that will lock your backpack against all but the most determine thief. I have a travel pack that my backpack goes in when I send it as checked baggage. It can be locked - even secured to my bunk. But to paraphrase Kanga - anything that "can't be replaced" needs to be with you 24/7. As weight and size are a the major factor would one of the smaller notebook computers - with USB slots; photo memory cards slot, be an alternative??

I was surprised at the number of people who had a laptop - some solo, some walking with friends/family; many with multiple electronics. Most were documenting their journey as you have mentioned. When not in use, everyone kept them in in their pack. As far as I know, none were ever stolen. I left my iPhone charging in the dormitory many times and it was always there when I returned. Passport, credit cards and back-up cash were the only things I carried everywhere; shower, etc.

Long, pass-thru hikes/pilgrimages are incredibly hard. So, while I would never take anything more than a smartphone because of the weight, if it brings you joy and makes your journey more enjoyable, take it along. Just remember that most first timers take way more stuff than they need or will want or can carry. That backpack, for at least the first week, is going to be significantly heavier than the same pack with the same stuff when you tried it on at home or on your training hikes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Haha, yes I have considered it. That's why I ask. I love to work with the editing program on my computer and I use the laptop often for Photoshop, Indesign, and so on. I'm an artist that works mostly digital, so... I have the feeling I just have to take my precious laptop :)
Hey, greetings from another artist. I carry 8kg on my back and that includes my (aging but trusty) Samsung nb30 notebook.

So....

Something I would to ask people who think taking a computer or lap top is some how going to take away from the Camino Experience (same with social media)

Would you tell a painter to not take his/her sketch pad?
Would you tell a writer not to take a note book and pens?

I mention this because as digital artists, iPads, Notebooks and yes, even lap tops are how we work creatively. And the process of the adventure is also the process from which we draw our creative inspiration. Trust me - we will socialize and we will connect and we will get the "experience". We see everything - and often times more ;-) We know how to embrace solitude and to go deeply inward. We are almost always found in nature. As artists life IS the pilgimage. And we share <3 And yes, that sharing and connection extends into social media. It's who we are.

No! Just no. Enjoy the journey, enjoy the scenery, enjoy meeting and talking to people. Take some photos and publish them using your phone then spend the rest of the year doing your editing and living it all over again. Taking a laptop is a terrible idea and would mean that you'd miss so much, please don't do it.

€46,-
So....

Something I would to ask people who think taking a computer or lap top is some how going to take away from the Camino Experience (same with social media)

I mention this because as digital artists, iPads, Notebooks and yes, even lap tops are how we work creatively. And the process of the adventure is also the process from which we draw our creative inspiration. Trust me - we will socialize and we will connect and we will get the "experience". We see everything - and often times more ;-) We know how to embrace solitude and to go deeply inward. We are almost always found in nature. As artists life IS the pilgimage. And we share <3 And yes, that sharing and connection extends into social media. It's who we are.
ditto...
Besides, a laptop is really just a bigger version of an iPhone/smartphone or tablet. No difference, and it's not like someone is going to be walking on the Camino with their nose in a laptop.
Like I said, if the pilgrim don't mind the extra weight, why not?

So....

Yes, if either of those things weighed three or four pounds and constantly needed to be charged :)

But of course, the camino is a personal experience, to each their own!

I like my portable keyboard with my iPad. It works great and holds a charge for a really long time. It's much better idea than taking the laptop, imo. If you want to blog about your Camino go for it! Hike your own hike and don't let others try to tell you how you should experience it. I plan to blog mine too but I'm sticking to using my iPhone because I just don't want to carry another piece of electronics.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like my portable keyboard with my iPad. It works great and holds a charge for a really long time. It's much better idea than taking the laptop, imo. If you want to blog about your Camino go for it! Hike your own hike and don't let others try to tell you how you should experience it. I plan to blog mine too but I'm sticking to using my iPhone because I just don't want to carry another piece of electronics.

I was actually going to recommend bringing an iPad too as a happy medium. I have friends who are into photography and video as well, and software has gotten to a point where you can do a lot of those things on an iPad. iPad memory card readers (SD, etc.) are fairly cheap as well. Might be something to consider, since it will weigh a lot less, be easier to safeguard, and still allow updating social media, writing, etc.

Absolutely, if they were claiming to translate the Camino experience on paper or canvas. You need to live it first because you can express it, and by painting or writing, instead of living, you are not experiencing. You are just a person following others, watching others experience something you have pulled yourself away from.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My recommendation is always to bring one, but just one extra thing to the Camino, when you feel that it pleases you especially. But I was not thinking about bulky laptops...
Well, there are mini laptops that are not so heavy and bulky; they are popular with students. I did not think much of them, but some day a friend showed me their capabilities, and I was surprised.
And for security, you can buy a laptop lock -they are not too expensive.
If somebody criticizes you because you are carrying a bulky gadget, just tell him/her that you are original.;)
Buen blogging!
Felipe (a blogger, too...although not about the Camino).

I was going to suggest an iPad rather than a laptop. If uploading is essential, I'd make sure you have cellular on your iPad and that you get yourself an international plan. While most alburgues have wifi, I found that at a good percentage of them, say a quarter at least, the speed was awful, and at some you just couldn't get connected. Frankly, I was surprised at the sorry state of wifi in the Camino.

I'll try to find 'my' answer to what happiness means to me in life. As an artist, I just want to share the experience with people that normally wouldn't be interested in spirituality (and the Camino).

Your quest of finding happiness might be diluted or even hampered by the need to share it - immediately. Then, the experience that you will be sharing would be less pure. You don't want that as an artist, I believe.

Good Luck in this endeavor.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would seriously consider carrying only minimal equipment and leaving the notebook at home to edit everything on your return. I'm a journalist and I totally understand the urge and passion of getting things done. However, think wisely about what do you really want to experience: the walk or the editing process? Depending on your answer, it may help you decide what to carry. Every gram in the backpack makes a difference after you walk 20+km in a day, but at the same time every regret adds a lot of psychological weight.

Personally, I walked the Frances with 5kg in my backpack and will reduce it even more for my Portuguese Camino this year. But each person is unique - you decide. :)

I really appreciate the info I get reading these forums about accommodations, best pack, best shoes and - of course - the never ending debate about pack weight ;-) But how I or anyone else chooses to engage in that experience is deeply personal and for all of us, a lot of thought and introspection go into it before we go. Please don't make assumptions about how our experience will not be fulfilling or hampered because we choose to do it differently. Artists, musicians, and writers alway take the tools of their trade with them in some form or the other. No process no matter how it is done is without merit. If Hemmingway can traipse around Spain during the Spanish Civil War with a typewriter in his carpet bag then I reserve my right to use my iPhone for artistic endeavours! LOL!

If Hemmingway can traipse around Spain during the Spanish Civil War with a typewriter in his carpet bag then I reserve my right to use my iPhone for artistic endeavours! LOL!
First I hear about Hemingway having pilgrimaged across Spain hoping for some "Camino Magic". In fact, I would be surprised if he remembered a whole lot about his days in Spain considering his love for alcohol.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Frankly, I was surprised at the sorry state of wifi in the Camino
Oh dear. Poor you. My first Camino in 2001 I didn't have a phone, even. I managed. Does the Camino NEED wifi? Does the world need yet another Camino blog?
For the OP, consider using bag transport services and upload to a cloud service as you go, or backup to a USB stick. That way if the laptop gots walkie on its own your work isn't lost.

finding happiness
For me, that has to do with my connection with Nature.
Here's the challenge, Nyienke...to be totally in nature. Just be. Without thinking about the experience, creating anything from it, or identifying with whatever response you have. Just let it live through you.
And then create, afterwards.

Walking the way without creating a story about the pilgrim who is doing it;
Resting in the peace that comes from letting life life through you without grasping it or creating a story about it;
Settling into the sounds and sensations of nature--the crunch of gravel underfoot, the breeze in your hair, the wetness of rain and warmth of the sun...

There is a very deep and quiet joy in presence that transcends simple happiness--and if you allow yourself to live that for a month and really let it in, the creative energy that comes as a result of that will likely be much more profound and powerful.

It's who we are.
Therein lies a hook that creates a ton of stress.
Without our superficial identities that we put out to the world (however that happens, virtual or otherwise), who are we? Just in our skins, here and now.
The Camino is a chance to access that.

Take the risk. As an experiment in another way of creating, and to challenge habitual ways of being.
Leave it at home and see what happens.
If you never try you won't really know for yourself one way or the other.

Absolutely, if they were claiming to translate the Camino experience on paper or canvas. You need to live it first because you can express it, and by painting or writing, instead of living, you are not experiencing. You are just a person following others, watching others experience something you have pulled yourself away from.

I understand what you say but for me using the paper diary is almost a ritual , like I said it has a certain rhytm.
Must admit that some years I used a blog but I noticed that I only wrote about superficial issues like kilometres, albergues and food.
Whereas using paper I can come more to the essence of what I think and hope a pilgrimage is...And I'm from that generation that used an electronic typewriter to write my thesis...:D.

€46,-
Wow, I just woke up and I saw all these messages! Amazing :) Lovely to read what everyone's opinion about my question is. Perhaps indeed I thought a bit too much about 'graduating art school' and fitting my camino in that framework. Hmm, a lot of thoughts to sort out. These are personal questions and I'll find an answer to it, I'm sure. But, because you all put so much effort in helping me, you might be interested in reading them (so you know that I've indeed read all your comments)?
  • I do want to walk my camino and just walk, walk, walk and let go (however that works out)? Can I even combine the walk it with graduating?
  • In addition, (maybe even on the contrary), my one and only passion in life is telling stories (mine and others). I don't feel so much for blogging/vlogging, because as most of you already noticed: many people have done that. But art + sharing is for me a way to reflect on what I experience (almost a meditative moment).
  • How am I going to enable myself to 'create' whenever I feel I have to (and not because I feel 'I need to')?
  • Last night, I've dived into the possibilities: taking my iPad (plus keyboard) & a drawing stylus + a small compact system camera with HD-video (therefore I can leave my bulky laptop & dslr at home). I'll just take a tiny phone with (just for emergencies, I'll leave my gigantic phablet at home). In total my equipment will weigh max. 2kg (including chargers/extra batteries).
  • Okay, Wi-Fi... it will probably lead to 'Life happens while you're busy making other plans'. It's possible for me to uploads and photos via my camera to my iPad/iCloud, bút... only if the speed of the Wi-Fi is okay. And I read from your comments, that it's not haha. I'll have to prepare myself for that :) Perhaps indeed only shoot the interviews/footage and edit them at home. Drawing/writing I can do without Wi-Fi.
Thank you all for your comments :)

So....

Wow. Thanks for your beautiful comment :) You just explained exactly how I feel about my art!!

As heard from a wise head..
"Who..seduces the muse"?

Creativity and spontenaity In my moments..my muse will sweetly,seductively whisper the barest word....
The mearest breath..and the thunder and synaps..syntax flows...she has joy

Other times, the moment finds me quiet, at the stillness..
And a song will open the elisum gates and I hear the choir inside
And I write what I've always known.

Other times, my camera bag slung at my side..I wait
For the mear breath of color and off I go shooting
My camera sees what my old man eyes knows is there
The colors

And once in a while
Music,poetry and photography meet.

My muse dances...

Carry the tools that let the art flow
Right then and there.
Don't thwart yourself

I have an IPad mini with an app called Snapseed ,somewhat comparable to Lightroom with an easier interface\flow and processes RAW but slower.

The creative cloud..Lightroom CC gives expanded tools with optional cloud storage.
There are external drives that use the lightning port to store processed photos in a small package
There is a mini USB to USB to lightning port adapter that my 60D uses to upload to the mini.
No more fiddling with removing cards

Wifi works awesome to get photos into the pad.

2 lens carry in my satchel with DSLR
Total weight round as much as a good size cantaloupe.

Don't worry the details
Just step out that door and go.
Most important though...let your art flow

Hi, I walked 1000km+ last year with a Tablet Samsung S2 + soft keyboard with intention to write. This material was quite light, only 500 grams incl. padded bag all together - Ipads are much heavier I believe.
As there was a double inside pocket in my backpack , it always felt safe and not really visible, and I didn't take it in the shower - the inside pocket was on the back-side, so it was also protected against strong rains - otherwise would advise to have such material in a plastic bag inside main backpack just in case.

At the end of each day, i was so tired that i was only able to write when stopping at least 2 days ... call this "Camino processing". Would just write shortly, daily, by hand in a note book.

Planning to take this light Tablet with me again this year, but because I am staying longer in Spain after finishing the Camino, and cannot ship it because of Lithium battery. Otherwise I am pretty sure it would stay home, and i would use note book only, and/or voice recorder...

Would simply enjoy the after walking without the technology... one short month fasting :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I understand what you say but for me using the paper diary is almost a ritual , like I said it has a certain rhytm..
But Sabine, you are not walking for the purpose of writing. Very different than walking to produce a thing, especially one that is supposed to express what the walking would have been about, had you not ended up walking for producing the piece.

Here's another thought. If you get Apple's SD card reader that plugs into the Lightning port, you could upload your files without having to draw down your camera and iPad batteries. It's a lot faster than using wifi to boot. Also, if you got an iPhone Plus, you might be able to do everything you need with it and a Bluetooth keyboard.

I am a photographer. I understand what you mean about bringing the tools of your trade. The trick is making those tools light enough so they don't jeapordize your walk. My compromise was that I took only one, lightweight, fixed focal length lens and one extra battery for my admittedly heavier camera (Nikon D800). I did not bring the charger for the camera batteries or any zoom lenses. I also turned off the image review on the LCD to conserve battery life. I did all my image editing and sharing from my iPhone 6+. My entire camera kit came in at 3 pounds, out of a total pack weight of 22 pounds. Several people along the way remarked about the size of my camera. I would tell them that it fit within the 22 lbs/10 kilo weight limit I had set for myself. As long as you set a realistic weight limit for yourself and that the tools of your trade fit within that limit, you should be fine.

I'd caution you though to not allow yourself to let that weight limit edge upwards. You might just think that a few ounces here or there wouldn't make a difference, but you would be fooling yourself. A few ounces does make a difference. I figured out that I was going to walk at least a million steps on my Camino. When you start extrapolating that little bit of extra weight over a million or more steps, it starts to take a toll on the body. At one point I was carrying an extra fleece that I picked up in Burgos to help with the cold mornings. Believe it or not, I noticed that little bit of extra weight. As soon as I could offload that fleece I did.

I believe it is important to not try and tell others (especially those we only "know" online) what they "need" or "should do". There is more than one legitimate reason to walk a camino, and more than one legitimate experience to be gleaned from it.

In fact, there are as many reasons and as many experiences as there are peregrinos.

We can certainly offer logistical advice, based on our own experiences, regarding weight and security issues. And we can offer our own perspectives on how choices we made for our own caminos impacted our personal experiences. We can offer food for thought. That's all.

And if someone does make a "wrong" choice (wrong as in having a negative impact on that person, not as in universally wrong) then there's nothing wrong with that either. Some of the most significant lessons in life (& camino) are learned the hard way.

A related caution..... careful about starting your camino with too many (or any) expectations. I personally don't believe in "camino magic". That doesn't mean your experience won't be magical. It may be. Or it may suck. The camino (any camino, Spanish or otherwise) does not automatically provide life-changing growth, spiritual revelations, etc.

My advice would be to pack your bag. Your bag at the start reflects who you are at the start. Then walk with an open mind, an open heart, joy and flexibility. See what happens.

First I hear about Hemingway having pilgrimaged across Spain hoping for some "Camino Magic". In fact, I would be surprised if he remembered a whole lot about his days in Spain considering his love for alcohol.
and that's a bad thing because? ha ha :D
Papa's crude scrawling/carving of his name (intoxicated I am sure ha ha) on the piano at the hostel in Burguete. I opted to stay there instead of Roncesvalles in 2014. It was just another 3 km down the road.
Camino 2014 029.JPG Camino 2014 030.JPG

Hilarious the spiritual and philosophical musings directed towards the simple question of whether or not to haul around an electronic device. :D
It's just a laptop, people.

Yes spiritual and philosophical musings can be hilarious and funny sometimes, why shouldn't they be?
That aside : this is a public forum and as long as people keep it civilised and constructive I really welcome different views and ideas regarding the topics posted here. That is what a forum is all about : exchanging ideas. If someone just wants to post their personal ideas/ convictions they could start a blog.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was just about to weigh in on this topic, but I think the posts above from @fenix and @Mark Lee sum up my feelings very well. I personally would not take a laptop because of the weight, but if someone else wants to, and it is an important tool for them, then they should go for it. Despite some views otherwise, it is quite possible that it will enhance their Camino experience.

Here's the challenge, Nyienke...to be totally in nature. Just be. Without thinking about the experience, creating anything from it, or identifying with whatever response you have. Just let it live through you.
And then create, afterwards.

Walking the way without creating a story about the pilgrim who is doing it;
Resting in the peace that comes from letting life life through you without grasping it or creating a story about it;
Settling into the sounds and sensations of nature--the crunch of gravel underfoot, the breeze in your hair, the wetness of rain and warmth of the sun...

There is a very deep and quiet joy in presence that transcends simple happiness--and if you allow yourself to live that for a month and really let it in, the creative energy that comes as a result of that will likely be much more profound and powerful.

Therein lies a hook that creates a ton of stress.
Without our superficial identities that we put out to the world (however that happens, virtual or otherwise), who are we? Just in our skins, here and now.
The Camino is a chance to access that.

Take the risk. As an experiment in another way of creating, and to challenge habitual ways of being.
Leave it at home and see what happens.
If you never try you won't really know for yourself one way or the other.

Again - can I please ask that veterans on the forum not make assumptions about where a person is at or where they are going spiritually or creatively in terms of their Camino. You don't know me or even how I am planning on doing my Camino since I have not shared any of that on this forum. This isn't my first deep, long journey. It won't be my last. I trust in my own process. Please honour that. Isn't that what the Camino is about?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another interesting thread. Amazing what springs forth from a simple question.

Adding a quick point (perhaps going back to the original question)...;)

It's not just about the weight of bringing a lot of whatever kind of gear makes you happy. You will not be going to one location and setting up your environment. You are constantly moving and constantly packing, unpacking, and packing again. You are usually in a hurry to get going or to get out of other's way. You don't often have the time or space to really settle in. Having to keep track of lots of stuff in a very temporary and shared environment is a bit of a challenge. Not impossible of course but something to consider.

Buen camino

Wow, I just woke up and I saw all these messages! Amazing :) Lovely to read what everyone's opinion about my question is. Perhaps indeed I thought a bit too much about 'graduating art school' and fitting my camino in that framework. Hmm, a lot of thoughts to sort out. These are personal questions and I'll find an answer to it, I'm sure. But, because you all put so much effort in helping me, you might be interested in reading them (so you know that I've indeed read all your comments)?
  • I do want to walk my camino and just walk, walk, walk and let go (however that works out)? Can I even combine the walk it with graduating?
  • In addition, (maybe even on the contrary), my one and only passion in life is telling stories (mine and others). I don't feel so much for blogging/vlogging, because as most of you already noticed: many people have done that. But art + sharing is for me a way to reflect on what I experience (almost a meditative moment).
  • How am I going to enable myself to 'create' whenever I feel I have to (and not because I feel 'I need to')?
  • Last night, I've dived into the possibilities: taking my iPad (plus keyboard) & a drawing stylus + a small compact system camera with HD-video (therefore I can leave my bulky laptop & dslr at home). I'll just take a tiny phone with (just for emergencies, I'll leave my gigantic phablet at home). In total my equipment will weigh max. 2kg (including chargers/extra batteries).
  • Okay, Wi-Fi... it will probably lead to 'Life happens while you're busy making other plans'. It's possible for me to uploads and photos via my camera to my iPad/iCloud, bút... only if the speed of the Wi-Fi is okay. And I read from your comments, that it's not haha. I'll have to prepare myself for that :) Perhaps indeed only shoot the interviews/footage and edit them at home. Drawing/writing I can do without Wi-Fi.

It is too bad you start 10 days before me! I would be very interested in how your journey goes and what you creatively discovered in the process.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I am impressed with the graciousness that you have exhibited after reading so many negative comments. I look forward to seeing you somewhere in SJPP or beyond.

It was nice. Simple accommodations, but nice. I had stayed in the albergue in Roncesvalles on a previous CF, and it was cool and all, but just wanted to do something different.
View attachment 31761

We are hoping to stay there Easter night. Do you think I should make a reservation?

It was nice. Simple accommodations, but nice. I had stayed in the albergue in Roncesvalles on a previous CF, and it was cool and all, but just wanted to do something different.
View attachment 31761

Sadly I just took a look for the date I would be there and no room at the inn :-( I'll have to get my Hemmingway fix when I get to Pamplona ;-)

€60,-
We are hoping to stay there Easter night. Do you think I should make a reservation?
I didn't the time I stayed there, but sounds like it can be a popular place. Maybe a good idea to do so, if you know for sure what day you will be there.
When I stayed there it was on a whim. I had been walking with two other pilgrims and told them about the place and they were intrigued. We took the chance and walked the extra 3 km there (figured we could always just walk back to Roncesvalles if we had to). We got there and haggled with the gruff and crusty old guy that ran the place, and split a room with three beds in it.

Sadly I just took a look for the date I would be there and no room at the inn :-( I'll have to get my Hemmingway fix when I get to Pamplona ;-)
Maybe check again at a later date when your Camino trip gets closer.
When I'm in Pamplona I always get a beer at Cafe Iruna. Popular Hemingway fan's bar/restaurant. I'm sure the place is overrated, but what the heck, I'm in Pamplona. Life's good.

Since 2015 I do bring my Air Book on the Camino, it is just so more comfortable to write on than a phone or tablet. Wifi is pretty much everywhere. I just save the extra weight elsewhere. Buen Camino, SY

Again - can I please ask that veterans on the forum not make assumptions about where a person is at or where they are going spiritually or creatively in terms of their Camino. You don't know me or even how I am planning on doing my Camino since I have not shared any of that on this forum. This isn't my first deep, long journey. It won't be my last. I trust in my own process. Please honour that. Isn't that what the Camino is about?
Elizabeth, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you are the OP, and therefor not the person to whom people have responded. The OP asked a question, then explained why she is considering taking her laptop, and therefor yes, we do have a sens of what might be going on.

This time, along with a moleskin and pencil for quick notes, I'm taking an 8" tablet and a little collapsible bluetooth keyboard. It's a little darling of a setup.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
I took a Surface 3 on my Camino last spring, with a keyboard even (can't do the thumb thing). It only weighed 2 lbs. It was necessary for my business (you know, the business that enables me to take off 2 months), but I also blogged - usually once a week. I spent a max of a 1/2 hour each day on it. When bad connection I took some notes in a very small paper notebook I had. I wouldn't at all say that it took away from my Camino experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Again - can I please ask that veterans on the forum not make assumptions about where a person is at or where they are going spiritually or creatively in terms of their Camino. You don't know me or even how I am planning on doing my Camino since I have not shared any of that on this forum. This isn't my first deep, long journey. It won't be my last. I trust in my own process. Please honour that.
No-one is assuming anything. We're all just expressing where we're coming from, and nothing more than that. We all have different lives and vantage points; the OP asked for our opinions and so we offered them.
You may agree or not as you see fit. There is a lot of diverse opinion (and sometimes even sharp disagreement) expressed here--we are who we are, and the Forum accommodates that. No-one here is forcing their ideas down anyone's throat. So simply feel free to take what is useful to you and leave the rest.

And...back to the OP's question.
If you are certain you will take some kind of device, then consider your fitness and the weight factor. The challenge of the relentless day in day out walking is really easy to underestimate.
@gerardcarey seems to have struck on a good compromise.

Last edited:
Maybe check again at a later date when your Camino trip gets closer.
When I'm in Pamplona I always get a beer at Cafe Iruna. Popular Hemingway fan's bar/restaurant. I'm sure the place is overrated, but what the heck, I'm in Pamplona. Life's good.
It's a nice place to have a drink, but definitely over priced for dinner. And strangely, they don't seem to promote the Hemingway bar, which is in a back room.
hemingway.jpg

I kind of think that the statue is a bit larger than life. I'm pretty tall, and Hemingway here is about 6'4"/193 cm

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I responded to the OP only just as a slightly different seeing, rather than opinion what is better and what is right.
I like to create (fine art / visual), I had some solo and some group exhibitions - the other often say "artist". However, this is only part of me. A large part, but I am still does not determine. I am also a woman, mother, teacher, mystic, Zen practitioner, .....When I go to the Camino, try these applications/roles leave behind and be 'only' me. On Camino is the emotional, energetic, mental and spiritual refill to me, I'm closer to myself. I am of those who are on Camino not socialize much. At least not with the other people. That I have a lot of "everyday" life.
When I return home, even for a while I am isolate that allows all nice "sit back". Usually, then they pour the sweetest things and ideas. My. Authentic.
What makes me the most exciting on pilgrimage is freedom. Minimizing the all allows me that freedom. Little things, little expectation, a little care. Not only does that make me worried about theft, also I don't have to worry about whether it will be soaking wet, or what's going to fall and get hurt.....

Completely reclusive I am not-I use a Smartphone, and that is enough. Also for photography and wi-fi
Last year, I have a camera and i-Pad. It was not worth it. I won't do it again.
And after the time of isolation is pleased to share my "Adventures" with precious to me. Photo publishing keep up every day on Camino, but no comments and no processing. So I remain present, "here and now".

I'm in the exploration of what a smart phone has the best camera ;)

You can find decent wifi on the Camino, but you can't count on it. Likely you'll be able to eventually upload your work. It could be at the albergue or it could be at a coffeeshop. You never know. I think you're on the right track, keeping the tools of your trade but downsizing them.

As I mentioned, I'm a photographer. Here's what the infamous Brierley has to say about bringing a camera on the Camino. "The camera not only creates a physical barrier but also insulates the photographer from the reality of the experience." I couldn't disagree more. Photography forces me to slow down and pay attention. If you want to see my Camino photographs, go to tomnorthenscold.com/camino. I can't imagine not having brought my camera to document my Camino.

I agree with Mr Tom
My humble observation is all the ingredients are there..it's up to me to create at that moment.

Ime lucky I suppose
Words come easy

So if no camera? I live that moment fully,immerse intensely and create with languages and what's between words.

To the OP...
I hope it's all you seek for.

Hi all,

An old laptop might be heavier than you really want. I have a MacBook Air which is very light. There are certainly benefits as you intimate and it was worth it for me, but I would not have carried the extra weight of an older laptop. You have to be very careful with maintaining the security of any devices as theft, sadly, is an ever-present danger.

Carried my mini-iPad on first Camino but it didn't make the weight cut the second Camino.
We blogged on the first and I will say that the wifi made this challenging to post, particularly with photos. The temptation was to be obsessed with getting the blog posted. We would find ourselves staying up very late or getting up very early hoping that it would be better when everyone else was sleeping, we would find ourselves seeking the best signal which might be a stool in the corner by the bathroom away from everyone or stopping during the day to try to post. Finally we had to relax and just post when we could, sometimes it might be a week before the wifi was good enough. After this we were able to fully engage in the Camino and just live in the moment. While I love our blog from the first Camino I removed this from the second one and felt more engaged with everything. In the afternoons I was engaging with other pilgrims and not writing a blog.

Hi all,

Hi,, you could take your laptop but if I was you I would think twice, there are few people with light fingers, moving about in the Albergues, I don't want to worry you, but in 2010 someone stole a pair of Boots from the Albergue I stayed in, and in 2015 someone
had there I phone taken while it was being charged, there are Good and Bad in all of us, so keep your eyes open and good luck on
your Camino,,,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nice that you think of all the others, but instead... try to enjoy your own Camino. Better is to tell them afterwards that they can experience the same by walking the Camino themselves...

Lots of good and valid recommendations here for you. I thought it might help to take a look at the issue from a different focus, overall pack weight. The night before I was leaving home for Europe, everythng in my pack, including a MacBook Pro, a vidcam and a very small still / vid cam and supporting cables, chargers etc as well as all the other gear, weighed in at 32 lb. That was a stupid weight. Definitely not workable.

Going through everything, I pared it dowm to 20 lb partially by switching out the MacBook for an iPad 2. I would not be able to transfer files but could at least handle emails and arrange travel tickets and find my way along the Camino. It was still too much at 20 lb, but that is what I took. It was still too much.

Near the end of my 3rd day, I did major damage to the IT band on my left leg and it is maybe only half healed now, six months later. So, carrying too much weight can cause devastating results.

For me, I am in the midst of lrealigning my microbiome and losing weight from my own frame but will limit myself to 14lb on my back, maybe 12 lb. when I return to complete the Camino from Pamplona to SdC and then on to Fisterra. Another issue many do not focus on is the weight of an empty pack. Use the smallest, lightest pack you can. The lighter the pack, the less weight overall.

Buen Camino

Firstly many pilgtrims seem obsessed with weight of their backpack, but the Camino isn't particularly hard and you get use to the weight after a few days.

If you didn't bring your laptop then you could do as I did and blog from your phone using something like the Wordpress app. I also edited video using an app called Vivavideo which was very easy to use.

Wifi was good on the Camino and I also found Mobile Data to be excellent too, so was rarely offline.

I understand that some people like to disconnect and do the Camino as it is without distraction, but we all hike our own hike.

€60,-

Well said.

From the responses I've read about your question, I admit that they make great points and I see where they are coming from, but I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate and say take all that stuff with you. Yeah it sucks hauling more gear than you want to, but at the same time, if people like you did not make the effort to carry the equipment to broadcast to the world, how many of us on this forum would even know that the Camino even existed?

In regards to theft, if you're still planning to start the Camino solo, make some friends fast so they can watch your stuff while you're in the washroom. I've made life long friends walking my Caminos, so this should not be a problem.

In regards to you being able to handle the weight, I recommend you load your pack with all you plan to take before your trip and take a 20 km hike somewhere, preferably where there's a lot hills. After the hike, ask yourself, "Can I do this for about 35 days straight?". Also if you find out that while you're on the Camino that the load is too much, you can always ship your gear back home or send it to Ivar.

In regards to internet access, Spain is like any industrialized country, most days you'll have it, some days you won't, for various reasons.

Just about every Camino I've walked on, I've met someone that wanted to interview me on camera or ask to take a survey. I didn't mind it because at least I knew that what they are doing helps gets the word out about a place that we hold so dear. In fact, someday, I would like to take some camera gear out with me on the lesser known Caminos, so that more people know about what the other routes look like.

Lastly, I'm sure you will meet at least a few likeminded people that will gladly help you haul some of your equipment (once in awhile) and help you take a few shots so you can be more in the footage.

€60,-
Take your notebook with you. It's the same for me + my tent and camping gear, depart 5 mei from Oviedo. Buen Camino en goede reis!

I met an Italian couple who walked all the way from Florence (2300km) with a 2kg laptop and they were happy doing that. Personally, I wouldn't like to carry the extra weight but if you want to take your laptop then go ahead, its your Camino! If after a couple of days it proves to be a problem, you can always post it on to Santiago or post it home. One suggestion I would make is to upgrade to a Solid State Hard Disk Drive, not only will it make your laptop much faster and better on battery life but it will make it noticeably lighter. You can get a 256GB hard disk drive for about €80 on ebay and a program called Acronis HD for about €20 to clone your old hard disk drive.

Hi all,

WiFi is available just about everywhere, including inexpensive dorm lodging.

I would suggest though that you will probably be tired enough that except on rest days you won't have enough time to do much of any computer work except a few emails and a little social media.

I took a "netbook with me" on my Camino. They have a 3/4 sized keyboard and are much lighter. A tablet might also work for you. If you want to take a laptop, go for it, but remember that it is extra weight and that you will need an extension cord, possibly a voltage converter transformer, and other things, which will add to the weight.

As you have been advised earlier, they are a tempting target for theft.

Would I take something like a netbook with me again? No, I would probably go with a tablet.

Good luck.

€83,-
For the artists who will read this topic in the future and are still interested in what to bring: I'll finally decided to bring a FiftyThree pencil (stylus) to create my illustrations/drawings on my iPad mini; a hard iPad mini-case including a keyboard to write; next to that I will take my compactcamera Canon EOS M10 for pictures and HD-video and an adapter to upload photos directly from my camera to the iPad. It will weigh less than 1kg in total (including chargers/extra batteries and so on).

I have a very tiny, leightweight backpack that I'm taking with me everywhere I'll go (shower, toilet and so on). I'll keep it in my hiking backpack when I'm walking. (Or I'll ask one of my new Camino friends to watch my bag for a sec)

Can't wait to start! Curious if I'll use the tools or that I'll let myself be inspired and start creating 'stuff' after the journey :)
(PS: I'm not taking a smartphone with me, just a Nokia 3310)

With my 8 inch tablet (and foldable keyboard) I'll use skype or Viber for phone calls.
Now, curses, my point and shoot camera is broken and irreparable.
So, decisions decisions. Should I replace it or use the cash to buy a phone with an acceptable camera?

Last edited:
Now, curses, my point and shoot camera is broken and irreparable.
So, decisions decisions. Should I replace it or use the cash to buy a phone with an acceptable camera?

We kept phone and camera separate. We didn't want to risk too many gadgets on one piece of equipment using battery too fast.
Last year we did finally have a camera on the phone but still carried the point and shoot camera. The phone came in useful when we forgot the camera and left it in our room one afternoon (OK leaving stuff in a private B&B). Personally I think also that the camera still takes better photos than the phone

After reading what you just said about yourself, DONT TAKE YOUR COMPUTER!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.