• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

is a little shovel overkill?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
We are wondering about packing a small nylon garden shovel just in case the urge occurs between villages. Will it end up being one of those items we really did not need?
And a related question....in the villages are we likely to find "public" facilities? Whenw e were travelling round central/Eastern Europe we were surprsied at how often a small town/village did NOT have public conveniences (here in NZ there is always a gas station with toilets, plus cafes/restaurants have them and there are usually public loos too)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Kiwis!

Any cafe/bar will have conveniences, and that's where you're most likely to come across them while walking. On most stages on the Frances you're never more than an hour or so away from one. Unless you're camping, or the urge regularly occurs between villages at home I reckon you'll be OK without a shovel. :D

Buen Camino!

Well said Tyrrek! You probably won't find 'public' toilets in Spain, but all the bars have 'servicios' - and what better excuse to buy a cafe con leche?!
Stephen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have found that using the toilet immediately after I have breakfast generally suffices, and there is then no need to defecate along the way. Whether breakfast is in an albergue, or I had walked to an open bar/cafe, I always found it worth waiting a few minutes until my body signalled that it was ready to use the toilet, and do so.

Some bars reserved use of their toilets to customers. While that wasn't universal, I have generally considered that in Europe, the cost of a loo visit is that of the drink you buy at the bar/cafe where you need to use toilet.

Regards,

On the Appalachian Trail, I used a tent stake for digging. The ground was easy to dig in the eastern forests. On the Camino I found that the ground was impenetrable. The terrain there is extremely rocky and even my hiking pole barely made a dent. A plastic shovel would prove laughably insufficient.

We were walking through drought conditions in September and October. Perhaps during the rainy season the soil composition might change to mud? I kept commenting to Jane, my wife, how I was amazed that even the farmers plowing equipment was able to penetrate the land! The surface is like cement.

In my opinion, there's so little chance you'd need a shovel that yes, I think it is overkill.
Use the toilets in the albergue or in the bars along the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Anniesantiago said:
In my opinion, there's so little chance you'd need a shovel that yes, I think it is overkill. Use the toilets in the albergue or in the bars along the way.
...and if there is a little chance that you don't find a convenient albergue or bar, nor a helpful shopkeeper or other local, you may wish to have that little shovel when finding the nearest bushes.
Think ahead and visit the "little house" whenever you have the opportunity. :wink:

Anniesantiago said:
In my opinion, there's so little chance you'd need a shovel that yes, I think it is overkill.
Use the toilets in the albergue or in the bars along the way.

That's your opinion on how your body happens to works and can't be applied to anyone else. For you, there might be a small chance, but not for others.

Granted, I never actually been on the Camino, I am still 100% confident in saying that if you feel you could need a toilet kit, bring one. For many people, it's not a question of simply taking care of business at the right time or never being too far away from a toilet. Not everyone's body functions the same way. I'm currently dealing with trying to adjust to new medication and without being graphic, let's just say that there are times when I cannot wait an hour or even ten minutes, especially if I'm walking. The worst part is, I cannot predict when an event like this might occur. To me, this is not a luxury item, it's an absolute necessity.

I would forgo the nylon shovel in favor of a metal gardening one, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Nonslip-Eme ... rds=trowel

I walked the Camino in Sept and Oct. 2011 and the ground was very much like cement. Digging was impossible and I imagine a light garden trowel would not penetrate the hard surface. I found using stones to bury the "landmines" to be the best solution. Rest assure, there is no lack of stones.

Toilet paper does not disintegrate quickly, so please be kind to nature and to other pilgrims and carry it away for later disposal, or, at least, carry biodegradable paper.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please remember to at least buy something at the Bar, if you wish to use their facilities. Anne

I have not walked the Camino yet. Like Jeffnd said, not everyones body is not the same. I have a chronic disorder and have to prepare for the inevitable. It will happen with little notice. Hard packed ground or not I plan on bringing a shovel and other things to take care of those sudden urgencies.

Its the complications of my chronic disorder that has recently made me once again delay my walk until 2014. I have been in the planning stages for my walk since 2009. :(

Added to this forum using Tapatalk 2

Freetime said:
I have not walked the Camino yet. Like Jeffnd said, not everyones body is not the same. I have a chronic disorder and have to prepare for the inevitable. It will happen with little notice. Hard packed ground or not I plan on bringing a shovel and other things to take care of those sudden urgencies.

Its the complications of my chronic disorder that has recently made me once again delay my walk until 2014. I have been in the planning stages for my walk since 2009. :(

Added to this forum using Tapatalk 2

Ouch. So sorry to hear about your delays. But here's to 2014!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On the VDLP, I found a place I dubbed the "Pilgrim Poop House." The etapa was a very long one, and when nature called, there happened to be a tiny, abandoned little house (playhouse size) by the side of the road. But when I went in, it was filled with unburied human waste and birds roosting! Needless to say, I quickly left. Another, similarly-long, stage was almost all out in the open. When I finally spotted a tree offering some cover, I quickly discovered many other peregrinos had already, er, used it. Guess no one on the VDLP believes in shovels. Or rocks.

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.