• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a sleeping bag liner enough for June and July Camino?

MCVet

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2012)
Will be staying in albuergues and hostels along the way. I'm wondering if just a liner will be sufficient to keep me warm or if i should bring the full sleeping bag with me? From searching it seems that anytime past May you can bring just a liner and be OK?

What's more confusing is you read some topics where people walk in March and it seems like a sleeping bag is a no-brainer. Then you read some where people walk in September and just a sleeping bag liner is OK. Evidently Spain's seasons are not in alignment with mine cause I'd do that in reverse over here lol.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have been talking to people about this and they say talk a sleeping bag, some places higher up can be cold at night it seems, other places may be hot. It seems sleeping cold is not nice. I bought a snug lite sleeping bag 800grams.

I have never taken a sleeping bag on 5 Camino's April through November,I took a silk liner the first time because I'd read the bed-bugs didn't like silk,the other times walked with a large cotton liner and the very few times it was too cold blankets were available or I wore extra gear.
you will be sleeping in dorms with large numbers of other people-trust me the combined body heat makes some of these places too hot-I've seen people fighting to open windows and the sleeping bag carrying pilgrims unzipping -en-mass. but having said all that its horses for courses-I am North European and don't feel the cold too much.
Ian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Any ballpark of what the temperatures will be like at night that time of year? I see it's at the same latitude as Maine so I imagine it'd be relatively cold? Then again, I don't know the temperature of Maine in summer.

I agree with Sagalouts. You are more likely to be HOT in the albergue than cold! All that body heat warms the place up quickly. I'd just take a liner and go lite!

Look what I found here:
http://gospain.about.com/od/caminodesan ... _month.htm

Camino de Santiago in January
Very cold and wet in some parts of the Camino and not many people to travel with you.
Camino de Santiago in February
Still very cold in many places, though not as bad as January. Some travelers.
Camino de Santiago in March
Weather is cool but not unpleasant. More travelers now on the route. A very good time to walk.
Camino de Santiago in April
Weather can be be quite warm in some places now. More and more travelers on the route.
Camino de Santiago in May
Could be very hot in May, though weather varies more on northern Spain than it does in other parts of the country. Route is getting quite busy now. Some hostels may be full by the time you get to them.
Camino de Santiago in June
Hot weather can be expected. There is reportedly a slight dip in 'traffic' in June compared to May, though still more than in April.
Camino de Santiago in July
Very hot and lots of other travelers. Can you cope with the sweaty people who haven't showered for days (because the line for the shower was too long)?
July 25 is St James's Day, a popular day for Catholics to finish the Camino. In Jacobean Years, expect vast numbers of people walking in July.
Camino de Santiago in August
Similar to July.
Camino de Santiago in September
Getting cooler now, but not by much. Still lots of travelers.
Camino de Santiago in October
Weather much more pleasant now. Crowds dying away.
Camino de Santiago in November
Quite cold on some parts of the walk. Very few people walking.
Camino de Santiago in December
Cold and extreme conditions possible. Not a good time to walk.

Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting, thanks for the link. About.com really does have everything I guess, lol.

I guess I'll just order the sleeping bag liner for the time being and buy a sleeping bag (or fish one out of the free stuff bins if possible, as I understand people sometimes abandon sleeping bags) if needed.

One last question related to temperature: from what I can find, the average temperature in Spain during June is about 30 C (86 F)? Is that about right? If so, that sounds downright pleasant for walking in!

MCVet said:
One last question related to temperature: from what I can find, the average temperature in Spain during June is about 30 C (86 F)? Is that about right? If so, that sounds downright pleasant for walking in!
The trouble with statistics like that is that the conventional answer will be for somewhere like Madrid, which won't be particularly relevant, and an average doesn't give any understanding of the variation between the minima and maxima. In Galicia, the difference between that average minima and maxima for Jun is only about 6deg C, half of what it is in the Basque country.

You could try http://www.climatetemp.info/spain/ and then look for the places you will be travelling through or close to. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see what places there is information on.

Remember that monthly averages can still hide a great deal of variation, particularly during spring and autumn as the temperatures increase and decrease. An average minima of +4deg C is quite capable of hiding a couple of sub-zero nights in March and November, although large variations are less likely to be an issue in winter and summer.

At the time you are walking, Pamplona's average minima is about 11deg C, and if you finish in Jul, the average minima at Pontevedra, a little south of Santiago, is around 15deg C. What it is not possible to tell from this is what variability you might expect in those minima at that time of year.

Regards

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back