• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a sleeping bag liner sufficient next week?

bbleasdale

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances..2019
I’ve read that a sleeping bag is mandatory now in albergues and that a liner is not sufficient. Also is it true that albergues are no longer supplying blankets?
While on the subject, is it warm at night on the Portuguese coastal at the moment? We will begin in Porto next Tuesday and it’s difficult to decide what to pack in terms of clothing. Would love to hear from someone who’s there at the moment 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hi @bbleasdale
Not sure which country you’re from.
It’s midsummer in spain/Portugal (Europe) etc.
There have been heat waves in many areas of Europe (uk spain portugal )and also fires along some areas of the camino routes.
I would think in terms of ‘warm temperatures’ this month and august.

Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the replies. I'm from Ireland. I've travelled with just the liner on my previous camino but at that time many albergues provided blankets. I realise it can be cooler on the Atlantic coast and NW Spain but hey it will be warmer than the Atlantic Coast I'm from lol.
So I guess it would be wise to pack a fleece and leggings for cool evenings and mornings? And even in case of cold nights...
Really looking forward to the Portuguese Coastal!
I've noticed a lot of the guest houses/private albergues on Booking.com are already full but I'm confident there will be plenty of accomodation...
Buen Camino/Bom Caminho

I've noticed a lot of the guest houses/private albergues on Booking.com are already full but I'
Are you looking at Gronze.com ?
If you drill into the detail of the accommodation that interests you .. you will find an email to contact them direct (if booking .com says nothing available - the direct approach may help .. not all their rooms etc are on booking )
Or you can phone the number on Gronze detail as you are walking and ask if they have a bed.

Are you looking at Gronze.com ?
If you drill into the detail of the accommodation that interests you .. you will find an email to contact them direct (if booking .com says nothing available - the direct approach may help .. not all their rooms etc are on booking )
Or you can phone the number on Gronze detail as you are walking and ask if they have a bed.
Thank you! Never occurred to me to do that! ☺️
Had my flights for this Camino originally booked in April 2020…two years on I’m sooo looking forward to it!😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Got back from doing first 296 miles of the Frances 1 week ago, I took just a liner. No alberge ever mentioned about bag or liner and quite a few people slept on top of their bag or liner including me due to the hot alberges during their recent heatwave

I’ve read that a sleeping bag is mandatory now in albergues and that a liner is not sufficient. Also is it true that albergues are no longer supplying blankets?
While on the subject, is it warm at night on the Portuguese coastal at the moment? We will begin in Porto next Tuesday and it’s difficult to decide what to pack in terms of clothing. Would love to hear from someone who’s there at the moment 😊
I have walked in April, May, June, July. September and October. April/may was on Camino da Costa. I have only ever used a sleeping bag liner. If you get cold you can always get a blanket from the alberque. I was on Frances May/June this year and all the alberques I used supplied blankets despite many people telling you they do not post Covid.
Buen Camino
Vince

Hi.
I did the coastal route in May from Porto and only took a sleeping bag liner, only had one night which was a bit chilly but I carried thermals for such occasions. Some albergues had blankets, some didn't so I'd plan for them not having them available. Like you mine was also planned for April 2020 but I can say it's worth the wait. I'd recommend the Senda Litoral route out of Porto then stick to the coastal from Vila do Conde as the Senda Litoral gets very hit and miss the further north you go.

bom caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was there in May and carried only a liner. Some albergues now charge for a blanket, which was fine and we only had to get one night. Buen camino!

Thank you all for your great replies. We’ll bring our liners as planned and make sure we have some leggings etc for chillier nights.
Wonderful to be able to discuss these little niggly questions with you people in the know!🙂
Bom Caminho
Bríd

Thank you all for your great replies. We’ll bring our liners as planned and make sure we have some leggings etc for chillier nights.
Wonderful to be able to discuss these little niggly questions with you people in the know!🙂
Bom Caminho
Bríd
Did Norte in August last year (in a cool year) liner was sufficient. Blankets were offered but if not you can, as you suggest, just layer up. Sleeping bag dead weight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the replies. I'm from Ireland. I've travelled with just the liner on my previous camino but at that time many albergues provided blankets. I realise it can be cooler on the Atlantic coast and NW Spain but hey it will be warmer than the Atlantic Coast I'm from lol.
So I guess it would be wise to pack a fleece and leggings for cool evenings and mornings? And even in case of cold nights...
I've noticed a lot of the guest houses/private albergues on Booking.com are already full but I'm confident there will be plenty of accomodation...
Buen Camino/Bom Caminho
HI
I did Camino da Costa in April/May 2019 and as I said in a previous reply was fine with a liner. However just as a word of warning it was my wettest Camino. On the good days it is stunningly beautiful but on the days the storms come in off the Atlantic the rain is of biblical proportions and it changes very quickly. You may be better off being later in the year but be prepared.
Buen Camino
Vince

In my early days, I carried a sleeping bag as well as a liner. Now, both are left at home for a Snugpak Jungle Blanket. Another option right now quickly becoming popular is a Camping Quilt. Many options there. Beyond that, a good wool blanket is still a good option.

The weather has been very mild. Haven’t needed anything more than a liner, yet (currently is m Redondela. Also, wish we had left the rain poncho behind.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also, wish we had left the rain poncho behind.
I don't care what time of year I'm walking, I would never leave my rain gear behind. It can rain in any month - especially in green Galicia.

I am happy to not have to use it, but it would be a huge mistake to not have anything for the rain, should it occur.

I don't care what time of year I'm walking, I would never leave my rain gear behind. It can rain in any month - especially in green Galicia.

I am happy to not have to use it, but it would be a huge mistake to not have anything for the rain, should it occur.
Just personal preference. You’re probably a much more experienced hiker than me.

I might be able to live without rain gear but a rain cover for your backpack is a must. It’s one thing to be wet yourself in the clothes you are wearing and quite another to have all your clothes wet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I finished the Portuguese Coastal Camino last week. A liner is sufficient. Most albergues provide some sort of linen, disposable or regular. Temps were high enough I didn’t stay covered for long.
Buen camino

I'm further inland at the moment, where it's a lot hotter, but even so there can be some quite cool nights, I've seen some in the 12-13°C range. And my understanding is that near the Atlantic, cooler and wetter than that is possible even in Summer.

Up to you, but even were I to walk a Camino entirely on one of the major routes with assurance of sleeping indoors every night, I'd take at least a light sleeping bag (instead of my current heavy military one).

I don't know about any sleeping bag requirement, but when I hiked the the Caminho Português 6 years ago in the fall, I needed no more than a liner. Right now it's a heat wave. Can't imagine needing even that and I would leave the fleece clothing behind!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One thing that I find to be unhelpful, typically, in these sleeping bag versus liner threads is that more often than not, when I read through one, the only people contributing are pro-liner ones, which can give a false impression of what the typical pilgrim's needs in these matters may actually be.

Whereas in nearly 30 years on these silly Caminos, I have come across exactly one pilgrim sleeping only in a liner, and as a matter of fact that night was a bit cooler, and he did not seem comfortable.

I do get that there are some pilgrims from northerly countries that are quite cold, and so may need less bedding than others. But this is quite outside the norm, and a genuinely cold night is always a possibility, especially next to the Atlantic or high up on the Meseta, and blankets supply in the Albergues is far from being guaranteed.

Now, these days I am mostly sleeping outside, so in rather different conditions.

But as to last night, a fairly strong wind between about 6 and 11 PM blew most of the day's heat away, and in the 3:30 to 6 AM pre-dawn, it was chilly enough that I needed to zip my sleeping bag up completely to keep warm until I woke up, for the first time this year. My big black woollen pilgrim's cape that I'm using as a blanket/"liner" wasn't enough to keep my arms warm in the early morning.

As to some saying you only need a liner, but pack some night clothes to keep warm, I just can't see why not pack a lightweight sleeping bag instead.

And I've seen too many contributions from those who only packed a liner from forum advice, and then on cold nights seriously regretted it.

One thing that I find to be unhelpful, typically, in these sleeping bag versus liner threads is that more often than not, when I read through one, the only people contributing are pro-liner ones, which can give a false impression of what the typical pilgrim's needs in these matters may actually be.

Whereas in nearly 30 years on these silly Caminos, I have come across exactly one pilgrim sleeping only in a liner, and as a matter of fact that night was a bit cooler, and he did not seem comfortable.

I do get that there are some pilgrims from northerly countries that are quite cold, and so may need less bedding than others. But this is quite outside the norm, and a genuinely cold night is always a possibility, especially next to the Atlantic or high up on the Meseta, and blankets supply in the Albergues is far from being guaranteed.

Now, these days I am mostly sleeping outside, so in rather different conditions.

But as to last night, a fairly strong wind between about 6 and 11 PM blew most of the day's heat away, and in the 3:30 to 6 AM pre-dawn, it was chilly enough that I needed to zip my sleeping bag up completely to keep warm until I woke up, for the first time this year. My big black woollen pilgrim's cape that I'm using as a blanket/"liner" wasn't enough to keep my arms warm in the early morning.

As to some saying you only need a liner, but pack some night clothes to keep warm, I just can't see why not pack a lightweight sleeping bag instead.

And I've seen too many contributions from those who only packed a liner from forum advice, and then on cold nights seriously regretted it.
On 3 caminos I have only used a liner, and occasionally have had to use a blanket as well. However, I do agree with you, having only returned from the Frances 9 days ago, most people, (everyone i saw but me) contrary to these threads had a sleeping bag.... My next camino I am also thinking of taking a bag instead as it will keep me warmer, I could on occasion sleep outside, and if its too warm as recently I can just sleep on top of it. 👍

I did VdlP in Mar/Apr and Frances in Apr/May this year with only a silk liner. A very small number of albergues on the Frances did not provide blankets but I was OK using my down jacket as one where necessary (Roncesvalles and one other). I also wear Smartwool thermals as pyjamas (doubling up as extra walking layers in cold weather, although not needed on the Caminos, and wearable during laundries). In these warmer months it would be even easier. (However almost all pilgrims then did have sleeping bags). Hope this helps

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.