• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a sleeping bag necessary for May/June pilgrimage

maximillian2

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2013); May (2015)
I am looking to bring down the weight of my rucksack and I am wondering if I really need my 1.6lb. down sleeping bag. Would light weight sleeping bag liner be sufficient?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think a liner will be fine. There are blankets almost everywhere. It will be getting pretty warm by June, except some high elevations.

We take the opposite view having experienced cold in May. We have lightweight bags (750gms) and leave the liners at home. Works for us.
It depends on whether you feel the cold or not. I do so would use the bag and blanket if there was a cold spell.
It also depends on how late in May you set out and probably where from, as well as when you plan to finish in June. The later you are going the warmer it should be.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I tend to get cold when my core temp drops between 3am-5am, so I am taking the REI branded 55+ deg. sleeping bag/ liner. I've slept in it a few times testing it before the trip and it suits me fine.

Fairly lite weight and small, plus it has nice features like zippers for the feet and the left arm.

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Just back from a week on the camino. I only brought a liner and it was perfect. There were good heavy blankets in all the albergues but i never had to use them even when it was sub-zero outside (.5m of snow fell during the night I stayed at roncevalles)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I tend to sleep cold. I have a lightweight down bag that is nearly as lightweight as a liner and I find it to be toasty warm! Remember, if you are cold, you can also put on all your clothes and use your ALTUS poncho to cover yourself. It really does keep the chill off.

Thanks to all of you. I am returning my sleeping bag to RE and exchange it with a lighter liner.

Somebody previously posted that a sleeping bag is required at the albergue in Roncevalles - is this true because it certainly alters the equation when trying to figure out whether or not to take a sleeping bag?!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.