• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is anyone arriving in Biarritz on February 27th 2017?

Toncho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances March - April 2017
Hi Pilgrims!

I’ll be walking the Camino Francés in March 2017. I have decided to do what will be my first Camino early in the season due to personal commitments and to avoid the busier months. Hopefully, I will acquire a good degree of solitude during my journey – but I’m also looking forward to meeting and befriending other pilgrims along the route.

I will be arriving at Biarritz airport at 17.00 on Monday 27th February. My intention was to take a bus from the airport to Bayonne and then catch a train from Bayonne to St. Jean Pied de Port. There appears to be a regular inexpensive bus service to Bayonne – so that’s good. However, it seems like the last train to SJPP departs from there at 18.06! So I have the dilemma of either staying the night in Biarritz or Bayonne (of the two, I’m guessing that Bayonne would offer the cheaper accommodation). The other alternative would be to share a taxi from Biarritz/Bayonne to SJPP. If any other pilgrims are arriving in Biarritz airport on 27th February and would be interested in sharing transportation costs then please let me know. I would welcome any advice on this matter from fellow pilgrims.

Also, I understand that during the main season the SJPP Pilgrim Office is open until 10.00pm. Will opening times be different for the end of February? This is a consideration as I was hoping to secure a bed for the night at the Municipal hostel.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, why don't you stay the night in Bayonne? Bayonne, if you have never been, is a fantastic small city and arguably one of the jewels of SW France. It also has a rich history and religious/pilgrim heritage. There is at least one small private albergue in Bayonne, the one I know of is right in the centre near the Cathedral but it only has space for a few pilgrims. There is actually a lot of very reasonably priced, very good accommodation in Bayonne too on Airbnb, plenty of it cheaper than the albergue- I checked a couple of days ago. Just google 'bayonne france' and then click on images and see for yourself how nice it is. I'm doing my first one too in March but a few days behind you, my flight is to Bordeaux and I'm getting the TGV from there to Bayonne station, arriving at around 1730 so I could catch the train to StJean if I wanted to. It'll be a long 13hr day of travelling for me so staying in Bayonne will suit me fine. I'm planning to head to StJean early the following morning.

I'm reading a lot of stuff posted by people who seem absolutely desperate to get to StJean the same night they land and willing to pay exhorbitant prices for taxis etc and then they are walking out the next morning. I just don't get it....by doing that they won't get to see any of StJean (or Bayonne/Biarritz) and they will be engaging in the first long stage of a long walk possibly still tired from all the travelling the day before. From what I can gather, the first part of the Camino, the arrival in StJean and the town, the morning you leave are significant points in your Camino and should be savoured...we'll see I guess.

I'm on a limited schedule to complete it all and might get shot for saying this, but I'd rather jump on a bus and miss out on one of the later less appealing parts of the walk and make a day back up that way than rush the start of it, but other opinions are available of course :)

By the way, I don't work for the Bayonne tourist board...and Biarritz is also great too, a bit more geared towards the summer etc but stuff is open, I've stayed there twice before at the end of Feb/beginning of March and it's been OK.

For an idea of what kind of prices you're looking at, I saw rooms starting at around 18 EUR on airbnb within 5 mins walk of old town and the station, the albergue is 20 EUR I think.

BC!! :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, why don't you stay the night in Bayonne? Bayonne, if you have never been, is a fantastic small city and arguably one of the jewels of SW France. It also has a rich history and religious/pilgrim heritage. There is at least one small private albergue in Bayonne, the one I know of is right in the centre near the Cathedral but it only has space for a few pilgrims.

Hola, superleggera!

Can you share the info for that albergue in Bayonne, please? I've stayed overnight in Bayonne last May but wasn't aware of any albergue there...
Thanks!

K1

Rather than list all the links, type 'bayonne albergue' in to Google and a whole page of links appear, obviously with the 'Bayonne Albergue' at the top. They don't accept advance bookings more than 2 weeks ahead of arrival which is why I mentioned Airbnb. A lot of the Airbnb hosts are young or youngish, this might be more preferable depending on how old you are personally.

Also, by using Google yourself, you get additional info, like this which came up when I mis-typed my original search...an old post on here from 2011 by someone called GeraldKelly:

Hi Everyone

I recently stayed in Bayonne because I was walking the Camino de Baztan which goes from them to Pamplona (more on that anon).

I stayed with a woman who lives right in the centre of town next to the cathedral. Here name is Véronique Miramon and her mobile number is +33 6 87 30 45 15 (or from inside France 06 87 30 45 15). She changes about €23 for dinner, board and breakfast. She likes having pilgrims to stay and told me it was OK to publicise her name and phone number. She speaks good English.

I'll be posting more information about the Camino de Baztan when I get time.

Ger

Hi, why don't you stay the night in Bayonne? Bayonne, if you have never been, is a fantastic small city and arguably one of the jewels of SW France. It also has a rich history and religious/pilgrim heritage. There is at least one small private albergue in Bayonne, the one I know of is right in the centre near the Cathedral but it only has space for a few pilgrims. There is actually a lot of very reasonably priced, very good accommodation in Bayonne too on Airbnb, plenty of it cheaper than the albergue- I checked a couple of days ago. Just google 'bayonne' and then click on images and see for yourself how nice it is. I'm doing my first one too in March but a few days behind you, my flight is to Bordeaux and I'm getting the TGV from there to Bayonne station, arriving at around 1730 so I could catch the train to StJean if I wanted to. It'll be a long 13hr day of travelling for me so staying in Bayonne will suit me fine. I'm planning to head to StJean the following day, around lunchtime maybe later and then spend the remainder of the day checking out StJean (also supposed to be nice) before getting an all important early night before heading out the next morning.

I'm reading a lot of stuff posted by people who seem absolutely desperate to get to StJean the same night they land and willing to pay exhorbitant prices for taxis etc and then they are walking out the next morning. I just don't get it....by doing that they won't get to see any of StJean (or Bayonne/Biarritz) and they will be engaging in the first long stage of a long walk possibly still tired from all the travelling the day before. From what I can gather, the first part of the Camino, the arrival in StJean and the town, the morning you leave are significant points in your Camino and should be savoured...we'll see I guess.

I'm on a limited schedule to complete it all and might get shot for saying this, but I'd rather jump on a bus and miss out on one of the later less appealing parts of the walk and make a day back up that way than rush the start of it, but other opinions are available of course :)

By the way, I don't work for the Bayonne tourist board...and Biarritz is also great too, a bit more geared towards the summer etc but stuff is open, I've stayed there twice before at the end of Feb/beginning of March and it's been OK.

For an idea of what kind of prices you're looking at, I saw rooms starting at around 18 EUR on airbnb within 5 mins walk of old town and the station, the albergue is 20 EUR I think.

BC!! :)
Hi Superleggera
Many thanks for your sensible advice! You make a valid point in suggesting that I may find inexpensive accommodation in Bayonne and briefly get to see what sounds like a very nice place. In addition, an overnight stay would give me the chance to catch the morning train to SJPP and have a look around St Jean, visit the Pilgrim Office, secure an hostel bed and buy food for the early morning walk to Roncesvalles the next day!
Enjoy your pilgrimage my friend and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Superleggera
Many thanks for your sensible advice! You make a valid point in suggesting that I may find inexpensive accommodation in Bayonne and briefly get to see what sounds like a very nice place. In addition, an overnight stay would give me the chance to catch the morning train to SJPP and have a look around St Jean, visit the Pilgrim Office, secure an hostel bed and buy food for the early morning walk to Roncesvalles the next day!
Enjoy your pilgrimage my friend and Buen Camino!

I arrive in Bayonne on the 1st March, a couple of days behind you so there is a good chance we'll never meet unfortunately. Please accept my best wishes to you too and...

..BC!! :)

Hi Toncho, I'll be going with the flow mainly but thought it best to book the first couple of albergues ahead....I got this reply from the big one in Roncevalles:

Buenos días,

En esa época del año tenemos abierto un refugio pequeño de 16 plazas en el cual no es posible reservar se coge sitio conforme se llega.

Un saludo,

Edurne

(after online translation)

Good morning

In that time of the year have open a shelter small of 16 places in which not is possible book is take site as is becomes.

A greeting,

Edurne

So, first come first served, the lesson here is make sure you get out of bed on time that morning you're walking to Roncevalles, it appears the 17th person to arrive will be sleeping on the floor...!

BC! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Toncho, I'll be going with the flow mainly but thought it best to book the first couple of albergues ahead....I got this reply from the big one in Roncevalles:

Buenos días,

En esa época del año tenemos abierto un refugio pequeño de 16 plazas en el cual no es posible reservar se coge sitio conforme se llega.

Un saludo,

Edurne

(after online translation)

Good morning

In that time of the year have open a shelter small of 16 places in which not is possible book is take site as is becomes.

A greeting,

Edurne

So, first come first served, the lesson here is make sure you get out of bed on time that morning you're walking to Roncevalles, it appears the 17th person to arrive will be sleeping on the floor...!

Hi Superleggera
Many thanks for passing on that information my friend. Since my last communication with you, I have managed to secure a bed & breakfast deal (25 Euros) in Bayonne for the night of 27th February - will get there via the local bus from Biarritz Airport. I will take the morning train to St Jean and hopefully secure an albergue bed for the night there before heading out to Roncesvalles early the following morning. I expect that it will be a case of keeping my fingers crossed for a bed as I know some pilgrims actually start their Camino from Roncesvalles - so they may get there before me! In reality, I'll probably be so tired that a floor to sleep on will suit me just fine!
Buen Camino!

Hi Toncho,

I am taking the first few stages easy and building in to it gradually and so I'm splitting the notoriously long and difficult first stage into two. I'm not staying the night in St Jean, I'll arrive mid-morning from Bayonne, go the pilgrim office to get my stamp etc, have a look around for a couple of hours then head out, aiming to arrive at Valcarlos by around 5pm.

I will be staying at Valcarlos for a night before Roncevalles as it's only a 3hr walk from St Jean, supposed to be a very good albergue, some nice restaurants and handy shops there. The next days' walk will then be only around 6hrs to Roncevalles. I've read quite a few posts from people who started fast and then had problems a week into the walk.

I've seen that many people would advocate getting a bus on the approach to Burgos if skipping a small stage is required so I may do that if I need to make up a day as well as walk a few longer stages nearer SdC when I've developed my Camino legs...it's a long walk and I'm planning to walk all the way to Finisterre you see and I'm concerned I might not be able to fit it all in.

Last edited:
Hi Superleggera
Many thanks for passing on that information my friend. Since my last communication with you, I have managed to secure a bed & breakfast deal (25 Euros) in Bayonne for the night of 27th February - will get there via the local bus from Biarritz Airport. I will take the morning train to St Jean and hopefully secure an albergue bed for the night there before heading out to Roncesvalles early the following morning. I expect that it will be a case of keeping my fingers crossed for a bed as I know some pilgrims actually start their Camino from Roncesvalles - so they may get there before me! In reality, I'll probably be so tired that a floor to sleep on will suit me just fine!
Buen Camino!

I doubt there will be that many in February.

Further, the bus from Pamplona (Autocares Artieda) leaves 1500; you'll likely get there before the bus offloads in Roncesvalles, particularly if you overnight in Valcarlos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Superleggera
Buen Camino!

By the way, where have you decided to stay in Bayonne? I still haven't booked mine yet you see.

By the way, where have you decided to stay in Bayonne? I still haven't booked mine yet you see.
I will be staying at: 4, Impasse du Gayon, Maison La Gayonnette, Bayonne. It is the home of Socorro Aguirre who has been accommodating pilgrims for sometime apparently. I got her contact details from another pilgrim on this forum who stayed at this place recently. She spoke highly of the hospitality she received from Socorro and the fact that the establishment is close to the train station. You can contact Socorro via her email address: aguirresal@aguirre.fr and (assuming there is a bed available) she will provide you with helpful details regarding which bus to catch from Biarritz Airport etc.
My excitement is growing as my departure day looms!

I will be staying at: 4, Impasse du Gayon, Maison La Gayonnette, Bayonne. It is the home of Socorro Aguirre who has been accommodating pilgrims for sometime apparently. I got her contact details from another pilgrim on this forum who stayed at this place recently. She spoke highly of the hospitality she received from Socorro and the fact that the establishment is close to the train station. You can contact Socorro via her email address: aguirresal@aguirre.fr and (assuming there is a bed available) she will provide you with helpful details regarding which bus to catch from Biarritz Airport etc.
My excitement is growing as my departure day looms!

Ah, OK, I saw that one too. I will investigate out of interest however I have already investigated another one and made contact with them but they are not accepting bookings yet, it's too early. I actually arrive from Bordeaux via TGV so getting to Bayonne isn't going to be a problem and I know the city well anyway :)

I think I can feel your excitement from here my friend!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back