A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Is anyone here knowledgeable about WordPress blogs?

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
I walked CF and CP last year and blogged about them (let's say 40 posts for CF 20ish for CP)
I plan to walk again this year but I'm ending up with one long continuous thread and would like to have a home page with links to each individual walk so that it looks neater and is more accessable... I've tried online lessons but I'm just not technical enough.. I could do with someone helping me out for an hour or so?

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
take a look at my blog. Is this what you’re after? I tried to make it as user friendly as possible, but it definitely takes a bit more effort. If you think I can help, feel free to make contact.

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
take a look at my blog. Is this what you’re after? I tried to make it as user friendly as possible, but it definitely takes a bit more effort. If you think I can help, feel free to make contact.
That's exactly how I want mine!!
Nicely sectioned off
Preparation
Cp2018
Cf2018
And then a new section for cf2019 which I'll add to each day.

I just think that anyone new coming to my blog has to scroll through nearly 80 posts to get to the beginning and it just looks and feels clunky..

Kris85

Backpacker & traveler
Camino(s) past & future
Planning a trip from Bordeaux to Santiago de Compostela in march, april, may 2019.
First you need a domain
(Name of the webpage you want xxxxxx.com)
Then you need a webhost who offers auto-install off CMS-platforms like WP.
- I can recommend Servage.net (If you sign up - but dont finish your order and wait for 1 week, they send you a 50% discount code). They offer a great auto-install. And you can even use the 750GB you have as a Cloud-base backup for private photos etc.

After connecting the domain, with the webhost - and from the control panel at Servage, you can then install WP. From the CMS-system (the admin-log in system at WP), you can add templates (skins/looks for your webpage), and plugins (like social media share buttons, photo album plugins etc)

More easy told:
  • Get a webhost, get a domain. Then install WordPress from the control panel from your webhost.
  • After, you go to a admin-login page directly from your webpage. There you do everything.
Hope it helps. Also; Youtube offers a lot of great videos if you are new to this.

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
That's exactly how I want mine!!
Nicely sectioned off
Preparation
Cp2018
Cf2018
And then a new section for cf2019 which I'll add to each day.

I just think that anyone new coming to my blog has to scroll through nearly 80 posts to get to the beginning and it just looks and feels clunky..
Andy, I use Wordpress “twenty ten” template. I create a new page for each tab section and for each sub-section (ie, each camino). On each camino page I create a chronological list of links to each day’s post.

Take a look, see if you can work it out. If not, I will happily help.

El Mayordomo

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France (Invierno) 2019
Love your blog. I am lucky enough to have a pequeña casita in eastern Almeria province - I am doing my first camino this summer, Frances, and will be writing a blog of course - feel free to check it out Hoping I'll love it and then will plan to do Mozarabe in the future. One of the Camino signs outside Alboloduy, seen on many a bike ride, was one of my inspirations to walk the camino.

Attachments

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
Andy, I use Wordpress “twenty ten” template. I create a new page for each tab section and for each sub-section (ie, each camino). On each camino page I create a chronological list of links to each day’s post.

Take a look, see if you can work it out. If not, I will happily help.
I'm going to try on my laptop tomorrow but I seriously doubt I'll be able to do it.. I think I'm going to need face to face help or just fine someone online that I can give admin rights to and pay them to do it.. it'll probably only take an hour for someone who knows what they're doing. Once I'm set up I'll be flying 🙂🙂

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
@andywild I’m sure you could manage it. I have no training in the field, just a knowledge that most things are possible and a determination to make things work. Good luck.

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Maggie's blog is excellent. Just for comparison, you might look at my blog (see my signature). I simply assign a "category" to each post, and the drop down menus take care of the rest. For each new camino I need to figure out how to add the new category. I'll be looking at that soon for my spring 2019 walk.

Susan Watson

Camino(s) past & future
Planning Camino Del Norte to Oviedo and then Primitive in May / June 2018
Hi Andy
Im very new to blogging but have managed to set up pages on my nenu and have a link on each page to each of my posts. Have a look under my menu item Caminos - Camino del Norte where I have a link to each day’s post. Planning on the Camino Portuguese in May. Hopefully my blogging info will improve with morr experience.
https://watsonsgowalkabout.com.au/
Please contact me via my comments if I can be of any assistance.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Le Puy (2016)
Vézelay (2019)
Norte (2019)
@Magwood recommends Twenty Ten on Wordpress, but it’s not available on my (recently purchased) app.
It sounds like Twenty Sixteen though. Does anyone have experience of using Twenty Sixteen for blogs?
John

witsendwv

Camino(s) past & future
(2015)
@Magwood recommends Twenty Ten on Wordpress, but it’s not available on my (recently purchased) app.
It sounds like Twenty Sixteen though. Does anyone have experience of using Twenty Sixteen for blogs?
John
Twenty Eleven is similar, but I am having the same problems. Probably just not enough time to devote to this. Anyone want to teach a class?

Tim Greig

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Via Podiensis 2017
Via Francigena 2018
Wordpress.com is different to Wordpress.org. Wordpress.com handles all the technical stuff like domains and hosting. Depending on your subscription level, you can get realtime help from their experts who will even set up your website while you watch! And then uploading posts from your phone is straightforward. I use it and I'm very happy.

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances; Via Podensis; Via Francigena; Via Portugues; Via Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg.

cj2003

wewalk.dk
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013 to Finisterra
Camino Portuguese (Monacal) from Lisbon 2016
Lots of good advice in this thread - and some great looking blogs. First of all, follow @Kris85 good writeup of the requirements and then get inspired by the many blogs and advice in here.

My own wordpress site https://wewalk.dk/ is set up like Kris85 writes and I have installed and uses the free theme Travelify - the rest is tinkering and learning and I went along!

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
Wordpress isn't that hard. Just start off simple. I have my own domain and use Wordpress with the Hueman Pro theme. It's probably a lot more involved then what you want but gives you an idea of what is possible. Starting out I'd recommend to just keep it simple. My site is in my signature block but in case you are reading this on a phone here it is: musingsfromthelastfrontier.com

Camino(s) past & future
Cycling the camino de Santiago "2013"
Brilliant. I had a trawl around your blog and found it very interesting. And what a long way to have walked - in 2013 I rode from Bayonne to Santiago with my husband, and we managed around 900 kms, that was enough for us! We are thinking of riding the Del Norte this year but are a bit worried about a lot of things, not least the outcome of Brexit and our ages (78 and 71). If you're interested in looking at the Camino from a different aspect (on a bike rather than walking) visit my website (cyclingsofties.blog). I'm a newbie at setting up and getting a website going so it's not as well constructed as yours. I love the map on your opening page, which whets the appetite right from the off.

I checked out your Facebook page as well and will be following that as I really enjoy reading your articles.

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi @freeflyer123 thanks for your kind comments. I have taken a look at your blog and it is very easy to navigate, which I think is the most important aspect.
Buen Camino for the Norte.

Camino(s) past & future
Cycling the camino de Santiago "2013"
John
John, I'm using Twenty thirteen for my blog, and love it (see www.cyclingsofties.blog for an idea of how it looks. Easy to work with as well as it has a nice sidebar which can be used to effect.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Le Puy (2016)
Vézelay (2019)
Norte (2019)
Thanks freeflyer123.
I’m still struggling so I’ll have a look at yours. I think the solution is to pick a theme that is designed for blogs rather than a general website. I’ll keep trying. I start my Camino from Vézelay in April so have a month or so to sort it.
John

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 40 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 222 24.8%