• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Camino del Norte a bad choice, for my first camino?

Magnus S

Time of past OR future Camino
I will walk either Camino de Norte or Camino de Frances from St-Jean, the5th/6th of june! :)
I am young man, who is going to walk the camino in a couple of days. I will be flying to Barcelona this morning and I will stay in Barcelona for a couple of days (until the 5th of June), after this I will be heading towards either Saint-jean-pied-de-port or Irun. Either to walk Camino de Frances or Camino de Norte

I have been reading alot about both caminos, and I think that the most fitting one for me would be Camino de Norte. It has more of mountains and height differences, which I love.

My concerns is not about my physical shape, my concerns is about if there will be other people on the routes and if I will have trouble finding places to sleep - like to big distances between the refugios and so on, bad way pointing, etc.

I have tried hiking and I am used to walking quite alot.

I will not be bringing a tent and I want a "safe" travel.

Should I choose the Frances or the Norte? What do you think?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is not a bad choice, but don't expect anything but up and down hills until you cut southwest toward Santiago. Except for the meseta, the Camino Frances has more mountains!

Buen camino regardless of your choice; you cannot go wrong!

There's no such thing as a bad choice for a first camino… ;)

But seriously, it just depends on what you're after at this stage. Someone on this forum described the Frances as a spiritual "summer camp for adults", and there is something true about this - it's quite magical, difficult to explain, but I think it's just because there's so much history and the infrastructure is so good, and there are so many people doing it from all over the world, you can really lose yourself in the experience and not really worry about anything else for a month. It's basically the 'classic' camino experience! :)

I myself am a huge fan of the Norte, however, and having spent lots of time on this camino, I have met many first-timers who were very glad they chose this route… It's very beautiful, you've got the mountains and the sea, there are *just enough* pilgrims to make it interesting, and yet not so many that it feels over-crowded. The Norte is becoming more and more popular, the way-marking is good, and you shouldn't have a problem finding accommodation, especially as you're walking through lots of seaside holiday towns. Here's a 'live' update from a forum member to whet your appetite: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/kanga-hopping.33525/

Anyway, as falcon269 says you can't go wrong - both caminos are amazing in their own special ways!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's so nice of all of you to response so much and so quickly! Well, if there will be lots of mountains on the France one, I think I will be doing this. I still have some days to consider. I am not a second in doubt, that I will have a Buen Camino, regardless of which I choose!

It is really making it alot easier, with your responses. Now I just cant wait to go there!

Hi Magnus,

The comments above are all spot on.
As a "young man" you'll probably appreciate the crowds and carnival atmosphere of the Frances. If it gets too much for you you can always take the Salvador from Leon to Oviedo and continue on the quieter, mountainous Primitivo.
It's all good.

Buen Camino

Andy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Magnus
I'm not sure where you've been reading about the Norte and Frances, but here's how I'd distinguish them.
Frances - a big climb on the first day out of SJPdP, then some rolling hills in Navarra/Rioja then pretty flat until after Leon. Long gentle ascent to highest point at Cruz Ferro followed by steeper ascent a couple of days later to the Galician border. Both routes have some ups and downs in Galicia, Frances probably slightly more so.
Norte - very up and down until Bilbao and occasionally hilly thereafter, but generally these are coastal hills and there are no actual mountains if you follow the coast to Ribadeo.
If you turn inland at Villaviciosa and take the Primitivo (this is the option that Mike is talking about) you will find a more rolling route through the foothills of the Cantabrian mountains (once you get past Oviedo). It is hilly every day but never reaches the height of the mountain passes on the Frances. Quite a few people take this option and enjoy it. If you decide to begin on the Norte you won't have to make a decision about the Primitivo option for a couple of weeks, which gives you time to think about it and discuss it with others you meet along the way.
Cheers, tom

It is not a bad choice, but don't expect anything but up and down hills until you cut southwest toward Santiago. Except for the meseta, the Camino Frances has more mountains!

Buen camino regardless of your choice; you cannot go wrong!
I have done it in 2010 and going again on July 2o, yes its difficult but then do smaller kil each day until you build up...it's a fanatic route.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.