• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Casa de Fernanda a possibility on Coastal Route?

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
Hi fellow pilgrims,

I plan to walk the Camino Portugues via the Coastal Route and Variante Espiritual in June this year, inshallah! However I have heard such wonderful things about Casa de Fernanda and would absolutely love to stay there and meet Fernanda but the guidebook indicates Casa de Fernanda is situated via the Central Route. Am I reading this right?

If so, is there a way of walking/detouring/rejoining the Coastal Route soon after staying at Casa de Fernanda? I would like to do as much of the Coastal Route as possible (I live in a country town in Australia and don't get to see the beach very often!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Katie ! Yes and no !

Fernanda is on the situated on the central route between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima in the hamlet of Vitorino dos Piães. It s on the waymarked path. See my avatar .
My wife and I stayed in their house several times as hospitaleiros and as friends.
Coming september we will be there again for some time.

What we did was following. we walked the central route from Porto to Casa Fernanda
Porto - Vairào (or if you like Porto to Angeiras and Angeiras to Vila do Conde along the coast and then head for the central route to São Pedro de Rates)
Vairão to São Pedro de Rates
São Pedro de Rates to Barcelos
Barcelos to Casa Fernanda

From Fernando we jumped over to the coastal
Ask Fernanda's husband Jacinto how to get from them to the bus in Balugães of the railwaystation in Baroselas (that is another place than Barcelos ! Is is not a typo !)
From either Balaguães or Baroselas you can go by public transport to Viana do Castelo to continue on the coastal. From Fernanda to Viana do Castelo it is 25 kms.

See my personal message to you

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Katie ! Yes and no !

Fernanda is on the situated on the central route between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima in the hamlet of Vitorino dos Piães. It s on the waymarked path. See my avatar .
My wife and I stayed in their house several times as hospitaleiros and as friends.

What we did was following. we walked the central route from Porto to Casa Fernanda
Porto - Vairào (or if you like Porto to Angeiras and Angeiras to Vila do Conde aling the coast and then head for the central route to São Pedro de Rates)

Ask Fernanda's husband Jacinto how to get from them to the bus in Balugães of the railwaystation in Baroselas (that is another place than Barcelos ! Is is not a typo !)
From either Balaguães or Baroselas you can go by public transport to Viana do Castelo to continue on the coastal. From Fernanda to Viana do Castelo it is 25 kms.

Bom caminho
Thankyou Albertinho!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Katie ! Yes and no !

Porto - Vairào (or if you like Porto to Angeiras and Angeiras to Vila do Conde aling the coast and then head for the central route to São Pedro de Rates)

Bom caminho
Albertinho, would you happen to know what the rough distance is from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates?

Katie ! Yes and no !

Porto - Vairào (or if you like Porto to Angeiras and Angeiras to Vila do Conde along the coast and then head for the central route to São Pedro de Rates)

Bom caminho

We would like to follow your suggestions. Do they still apply to May, 2018? Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We would like to follow your suggestions. Do they still apply to May, 2018? Thank you.
I was at Fernanda’s last week for some days and did the same as last time. Jumped from Viana do Castelo to their place . Train ,bus. No problem at all

Would like to do the same. Viana deCostelo by bus or train to casa Fernanda if there is availability on the 25 th of August. Could you please send me more details on the public transport. Thanks in advance.

Katie ! Yes and no !

Bom caminho
My question is about this stage: Porto - Vairào (or if you like Porto to Angeiras and Angeiras to Vila do Conde along the coast and then head for the central route to São Pedro de Rates) Is the way from Vila do Conde off of the coastal route to the central route to Sao Pedro de Rates well marked? I, too, want to do part of the coastal route before going the way to get to Casa de Fernandna. Thank you. Tammi

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked Porto to Vila do Conde along the Senda Litoral and then took a right turn after crossing the bridge into Vila do Conde and headed over to join the Central route at Arcos just before São Pedro de Rates. I had no problems with the route marking. It seemed as well marked as the rest of the route (and better than a few parts where there seem to be marking battles between different factions - one wants us to walk the industrial route past their places of business, and another wants to offer a more natural path through the forest).

My question is about this stage: Porto - Vairào (or if you like Porto to Angeiras and Angeiras to Vila do Conde along the coast and then head for the central route to São Pedro de Rates) Is the way from Vila do Conde off of the coastal route to the central route to Sao Pedro de Rates well marked? I, too, want to do part of the coastal route before going the way to get to Casa de Fernandna. Thank you. Tammi
The route from Vila do Conde is well marked. In John Brierley's guide the route is mentioned.
Alternative is and what I did several times, to Viana do Castelo all along the coast.
From there take the train to Tamel and from there walk the last 6 kms to Fernanda on the waymarked Central route . The warmarkersxare at the Tamel station.
Or take the bus to Balugâes and walk the last 3 kms to Fernanda on the waymarked path.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back