• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is crossing the pyrenees really tough?

Trish from Melbourne

The first step in a journey of many steps
Time of past OR future Camino
April 2015
Hi All,

We are doing our first Camino in April next year and have started doing some training walks. Our second walk last weekend involved a very steep climb at the end with what felt like a 2:1 gradient at the end, after a 6 km bushwalk. I was wondering how this compares to the first day out of SJPP.

I have read a number of thread where people have said this is really tough but given the number of people who have done it, of all ages and fitness levels, I am trying to work out how much I am going to suffer through that first day.

If any of you who have done it recently could advise as how long it took you to do and then to recover afterwards, I would appreciate it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Trish, many pilgrims depart SJPP and stop half way at Refuge Orisson. This is a beautiful location and well worth the stop. For me and for many this is one of the most memorable stops along the Way. As you are considering April, this can be the most beautiful time as the flowers and grasses are poking their heads up. At the same time, the weather can be benign or brutal with the late snows and run off. Call ahead to Jean:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php
The pilgrim office in SJPP will contact Jean each morning to insure the weather is clear to walk. Orisson is an important leg of the entire experience, even should you decide not to stop.

Buen Camino

Hi All,

We are doing our first Camino in April next year and have started doing some training walks. Our second walk last weekend involved a very steep climb at the end with what felt like a 2:1 gradient at the end, after a 6 km bushwalk. I was wondering how this compares to the first day out of SJPP.

I have read a number of thread where people have said this is really tough but given the number of people who have done it, of all ages and fitness levels, I am trying to work out how much I am going to suffer through that first day.

If any of you who have done it recently could advise as how long it took you to do and then to recover afterwards, I would appreciate it.

If you have time check this thread which may be of help. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Orisson isn't really half way. It's more 1/3 and there is still some good climbing to do after Orisson and a steep decent into roncesvalles, which we al know is harder then the climb (for the legs).

Trish, yes it is tough, for some, but as you mentioned, thousands of people from ALL ages and fitness levels do it each year, so no reason to think why you can't. And all those thousands of people don't all stay in Orisson, but if you decide to do that, be sure to book ahead for that night.
You've got plenty of time to get into shape, if you want, so i am sure you will be alright.

Just start early enough, then take your time and ENJOY it. Be sure to take plenty of rest stops and eventually you will arrive on the other side :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi All,

Hi All,

Hello, Fellow Pilgrims!
So many people recommended staying in Orisson that I thought I would, as well. I'm 65 years old, and at a good fitness level. Still...it seemed like a good idea to make the hike to Roncevalles in two days. However....a month away, and already Orisson is booked full! It's probably good for all pilgrims to expect to make the full trek to Roncevalles in one day. That way, you can prepare physically AND mentally!

It's pretty physically demanding. It took me about 8 - 9 hours to walk it. It is uphill for about 20k and downhill about 6 or 7k. The downhill portion is almost worse than the uphill since it puts a lot of stress on your toes and knees. If I had it all to do over again, I would do much more hill training. Having said that, it was not impossible, just tough.

Last edited:
It took 8 - 9 hours. The hard part came because the rain blew sideways and there was nowhere to take a break out of the wind that wasn't also fouled with sheep shit.

I kept going the next day and got to Pamplona the third day. By then ... I was really tired and took a few shorter days. Its not the next day that's going to get you ... its the third day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is true, almost every person can do it. The problem is not this stage, but the consequences. In Zubiri and Pamplona there are always many pilgrims with tendonitis, blisters, joint problems, that annoy them for many days.
Traditionally, the pilgrimage started in Roncesvalles –or in France, in Le Puy or Arles. I don’t know when starting in SJPP became fashionable. I mean, this is a magnificent stage, but technically speaking, it would be better to start two days in an easier route, so your body adjust to the effort, before trying a very demanding climb. That said, it is feasible, but some training (with backpack!) may make a difference.
About incline degrees: it was discussed here http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-orrison-incline.13377 Btw, the profile published by falcon269 belongs to the "lower route", which has also its enthusiasts. A quick review of this alternative is worth considering, because in April it is still possible that the Napoleon route be closed by bad weather.
Anyway, your own decision will be the best. Every experience is different.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have done this 3 times..While it is tough you have all day to do it. The big challenge would be if the weather is wet and windy.
For the downhill good footwear with no slippage in the shoes/boots is important. I also used walking sticks for all my Camino walks ( takes a lot of the weight from your back and saves your knees on downhills)
In April it can be cool...remember to have food/drink and energy snacks with you. It took me about 8 hours each time.

Traditionally, the pilgrimage started in Roncesvalles –or in France, in Le Puy or Arles. I don’t know when starting in SJPP became fashionable.
When the Camino was quite obscure in the 1980's, most pilgrims came from Europe. For those not starting along a feeder camino in France, SJPdP was easier to get to than Pamplona! There were no viable walking alternatives for getting over the Pyrenees except the Col de Somport. I suspect that the "fashion" started then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In April it may be closed. Blizzards happen. So take the local advice. In answer to your question - it goes up and up and up and up.....and then it goes down. Here it is:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1407162329.244126.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1407162329.244126.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I would suggest Kanga's diagram misrepresents the steepness of the route. If you believe that diagram its time to break out the ropes and the crampons.

The route rises but 10 meters for every 100 meters of walking. That means its not steep but it is a long uphill slog.

I would suggest Kanga's diagram misrepresents the steepness of the route. If you believe that diagram its time to break out the ropes and the crampons.

The route rises but 10 meters for every 100 meters of walking.

Yes, but it is sooooo effective!

Do you like this better?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1407163410.613315.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1407163410.613315.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 69
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actually, they are not my diagrams - randomly from Google images - sorry Moderators, I'll remove them.

Neither profile shows the true scale! The road winds around like a crippled snake--it is not straight up hill! As so, you are climbing about 1250 meters but doing it over a much longer length than the 20 KM shown on profile. Ate supper with a woman 75 years old and several guys who were 74 who did it in one day; I'm almost 67 and had no problem whatsoever--like all of the Camino, it is long but not difficult. Especially the walk to Orrisson--profile makes it appear very steep but I would bet that kids from Orrisson walk to school in SJPDP and back every day. Think it took us about 8 hours and we took a lot of breaks because we erroneously thought we had to save our strength for tougher portions of the hike up hill. But...local firemen in Roncevalles told us they "rescue" at least 4 people a day with broken bones on the down hill walk. Lot of loose rocks--it's just like our hills in Pennsylvania.

When the Camino was quite obscure in the 1980's, most pilgrims came from Europe. For those not starting along a feeder camino in France, SJPdP was easier to get to than Pamplona! There were no viable walking alternatives for getting over the Pyrenees except the Col de Somport. I suspect that the "fashion" started then.

Falcon, I meant "starting at", not "crossing by". Anyway, it is just an academic point. I am just curious about the influence of books (Coelho's) , movies (MacLaine's) and guides (Brierley's!) on the modern popularity of Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
But...local firemen in Roncevalles told us they "rescue" at least 4 people a day with broken bones on the down hill walk. Lot of loose rocks--it's just like our hills in Pennsylvania.

Xin, I don't believe you! What "local firemen" at Roncesvalles? And "at least 4 people a day" with broken bones ....

And it is not loose rocks that's a problem.

Sometimes I think you and I must have been walking on different paths.

Trish, many pilgrims depart SJPP and stop half way at Refuge Orisson. This is a beautiful location and well worth the stop. For me and for many this is one of the most memorable stops along the Way. As you are considering April, this can be the most beautiful time as the flowers and grasses are poking their heads up. At the same time, the weather can be benign or brutal with the late snows and run off. Call ahead to Jean:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php
The pilgrim office in SJPP will contact Jean each morning to insure the weather is clear to walk. Orisson is an important leg of the entire experience, even should you decide not to stop.

Buen Camino
Hi Arn..
I tried to book into Orisson 2 months before my Camino and unfortunately it had no vacancies for the night I required.. I´m walking the Camino Frances for first time in Sept. and was hoping to start the journey with a much recommended overnight stay in Orisson.. I recommend anyone wishing to do the same to book early.. En fin, hopefully the Pyrenees crossing won´t prove too difficult, although some threads and blogs reckon it is... looks like plenty of rests on the way up then aayyyy!!..

It isn't that the distance is all that bad or even if it is like "crippled snake" (by the way , three times over that mountain and I've never seen rescuers or broken legs) but for us is that we live at 60 feet above sea level and for us attitude trumped altitude.

Getting pretty touchy around the site.:confused:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kanga--was told the fireman story twice--first time by the two women rescued May 17, 2014; second time by the people who walked with the woman who supposedly was actually blown off her feet and broke her shoulder as reported on this Forum in May--think it was around the 22nd. Thought they were good sources of information as they actually spoke to the "firemen".

Kanga--was told the fireman story twice--first time by the two women rescued May 17, 2014; second time by the people who walked with the woman who supposedly was actually blown off her feet and broke her shoulder as reported on this Forum in May--think it was around the 22nd. Thought they were good sources of information as they actually spoke to the "firemen".

Yes the wind can be brutal and dangerous and if it's cold or snowing too the wind chill factor must not be underestimated. But be guided by what you're told in the Pilgrims office and if the weather doesn't sound good then you may want to consider walking the lower route. One tip I'll make sure I do next time is know how to put on your cold weather clothing on properly and keep it very handy and put it on at the first sign of bad weather. I didn't, I thought how hard can it be to put on a poncho? It's the same as I had in the RAF, although I never used it. I didn't try putting it on until the wind and rain had really got up and it was blowing around in the wind so much that I never got the thing done up properly until I reached the shelter on the Spanish side, 3 hours later. Digging around in my rucksack in a howling gale in a blizzard trying to find my leggings on an exposed hill was no fun either. Some poor girls were wearing t-shirts, 3/4 length leggings and thin slip on shoes and were too numb to put their cold weather clothing on and had to be dressed by a friend of mine behind a small rock.
Someone an hour behind me did get into difficulties and had to be airlifted to hospital once he'd been bought down the mountain and I struggled to stay on my feet in the wind so I can believe on some days the rescue teams may be kept busy. It may sound a bit dramatic but what I mean to say is do not underestimate the weather on the mountains at that time of year. As far as the climb and distance is concerned there'll be plenty of pilgrims around you to keep you company if you want and once you get talking the distance and time will fly by without you really noticing the effort. I've been told the shelter is still there on the Spanish side so make the most of it. If it's cold out there'll be a lovely log fire burning in there and it will give you a proper chance to refresh yourself for the journey down. I've read on here the scenery is beautiful on a clear day so with any luck you'll get to see it, I didn't.
As someone else has mentioned, you'll probably begin to feel the strain on you body a couple of days later so you may want to consider some smaller stages for a few days afterwards.

The shelter was there on the Spanish side when I crossed on July 11.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In April it may be closed. Blizzards happen. So take the local advice. In answer to your question - it goes up and up and up and up.....and then it goes down. Here it is:

Kanga,

I love this graph, this is the one I like to show my friends to show how "incredibly hard" the first day was :) It really looks a lot worse than is was actually walking it (although it was no picnic either) .

Jim

Hi All,

Hi Trish
I am about to leave in 4 weeks for my second walk , just book in at Orisson and take your time. The first week is hard as your body needs to adjust to the daily walk as well as your head trying to take in so much. Don't train yourself out as the so called fit ones break down its all about the mind, just take it slow have a number of breaks and you will be fine. Don't worry

Hi All,

Hi Trish just a follow up I live in North Fitzroy if you want to catch up or have questions contact me before the 2nd Sept as I am off again to Spain, like you I have been anxious since I came back last year.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Frankly I would simply start in Roncesvalles, which in fact is what I do!
I see no reason of ruining days of your Walk, simply because you think you should cross the Pyrenees and then, for one reason or another, things go wrong! Anne

Uphill for me was not too bad. It was coming DOWN that was painful, despite my trekking poles. After a mishap on the Alto del Perdon, I found out that I have "runner's knee" due to genetics and a couple of early-in-life athletic injuries. Now I hike with Bauerfeind GenuTrain athletic braces.

You are not cheating (nor cheating yourself) if you start walking in Roncesvalles. The vultures will still float above, and the hospitality will still be warm. :)

Hi Trish,
Lots of terror stories here, but please do not let them put you off. I stayed at Orisson, but they had mislaid my booking so I slept on a bunkbed in the laundry with two lovely Korean girls who hadn't made a booking (they had their own bed)! Nevertheless I was very happy I did so, as the steepest part of the climb is from St Jean to Orisson but with plenty of time it was relatively easy. The next day is 17 km of which about 13 is uphill, and the last 4 km is steeply downhill. At the top of the pass the option is to go straight on and down over a somewhat dangerous scrabbly path, or a less steep and less dangerous route on the road to your right.
An alternative is to stop at Hunto which is only 5 kms from St Jean, and by doing so you can spend most of the day looking around St Jean which a lovely town, and after lunch wander up to Hunto, and it is a start on the way to Roncevalles. This will also help with the jetlag after your long flight from Melbourne
I did this route in 2010 when I was 79, but I was pretty buggered when I reached Roncevalles.
The whole route to Roncevalles is very beautiful.
It is VERY important to heed the advice at the Pilgrims Office regarding the weather, and not to ignore it. I think that some of the horror stories above came about because advice was not sought or ignored. Pilgrims do die on this mountain.
If you wish to send me a private message with your contact I can phone you or email you. I am a fellow Aussie and have been back twice since 2010
Buen Camino
David

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles is wonderful as well. So many small farms along the way, and the bar/store/bottle shop down the street from the town albergue in Valcarlos is full of cheer. Cola Cao and a bocadillo for breakfast!

Hi All,

Hi Trish, we are just coming back from SJPP-STC camino done with our montain bikes. We are quite fit and done few months training and I have to admit that the climbing from SJPP to Roncisvalles is quite challanging. The pellegrins office in SJPP recommended us to do the road route because " easier " but still...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I left from SJPdP last May, the Pilgrim Office strongly recommended I not do the Napoleon. The weather was overcast, icy and windy. I was disappointed but I had decided months ago, after following many threads on this forum, that whatever the PO recommended, I would follow. I walked the Valcarlos. It was challenging and probably beautiful but I was too busy lifting my feet and hiking poles out of the sucking mud to notice the views (lost one of the tips of my poles that day to the muck).
It was a long, muddy slog and challenging for day one. In nicer weather, it might be downright enjoyable with beautiful sights of the valley and farms. There were no strenuous uphill or downhill climbs (again, I used my poles) so if one is concerned about strain on the knees, this maybe a reasonable alternative rather than just starting in Roncevalles. It took 8 hours also.
Here are a few photos of my first day on the CF:

At 0900 on the Valcarlos -

IMGP3038.JPG

At 1400, still on the Valcarlos:

IMGP3047.JPG
At 1700, still on the Valcarlos but ALMOST at Roncevalles:

IMGP3051.JPG

LOL!! This was the last week in May last year. Buen Camino, all.

I've made the crossing twice via the Route Napoleon in glorious weather. If it is a clear day (as these both were) then it is stunning. But unless the weather is perfect, don't bother. The whole point of the Route Napoleon is the views and if you can't see those then you are just giving yourself extra exertion for no reason. Take the Valcarlos route, which is the more traditional pilgrimage crossing and has a considerable charm of its own - think smugglers and contraband - it is also pretty, has the advantage of two villages in which to rest and stay, and is physically a little easier.
Or start in Roncesvalles, which has a long tradition of being the start for Spanish pilgrims, and a wonderful pilgrim mass and blessing to get you on your way.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I just love this forum - everyone is so generous with their thoughts and experience and memories.

I would like to add an extra comment to my posting and that is, were SJPP further down the Camino and not the very first day,then it would make all the difference, because you would already have got into the rhythm of walking ( plus carrying your backpack) and you would be less viable to injuries. The problem can be further aggravated when you are arriving after a long flight. You are tired, probably didn't rest much and have jet lag. All things to be taken into consideration! Anne

I would like to add an extra comment to my posting and that is, were SJPP further down the Camino and not the very first day,then it would make all the difference, because you would already have got into the rhythm of walking
That is true, but I first walked it after a month on the Le Puy route, and completely ran out of steam a Huntto (having started in Ostabat). Right out of SJPdP is a few hundred yards of the steepest grade imaginable (until I left Ourense a few years later on a marked 24% grade). As I was asking myself what I had gotten into, the path became gentle for over an hour. The up to Huntto. The up to Orisson. Then up a bit, followed by a more gentle up. Then DOWN. I was physically OK, but mentally, there were a lot of false tops -- it looks like the climb is ending, but one turns a corner or sees over a ridge, and there is still more to climb. When the physical and mental both fight you on the first day, as annakappa says, it makes a difference.

I have read at the 'top' or at a crossroads heading downhill there are two choices.....follow the arrow to the LEFT for a steep, possibly loose scree descent, or go RIGHT at that point and take the less steep/road walking way. True?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have read at the 'top' or at a crossroads heading downhill there are two choices.....follow the arrow to the LEFT for a steep, possibly loose scree descent, or go RIGHT at that point and take the less steep/road walking way. True?
Yes.

Hi All,

Hi Trish, what date in April are you starting. I will be doing my second Camino mid April but my first from St Jean pied de port. There was too much snow on both Napolean and Val Carlos when I was starting so I detoured to Pamplona and started there. I doubt we will be able to cross Route Napolean in April unless there is an exceptionally good spring so I have more or less resigned myself to the Val Carlos route. Maybe our paths will cross, Buen Camino

I walked last September 20th. Perfect weather... Meaning sunshine, fog, smattering of rain and muddy spots, sunshine again. Lucky! However a more experienced pilgrim suggested if I were to walk the whole way, as there were no beds or tents at Orrison, to send my bag on ahead. I did. I did not use the service much on my Camino except when I would be walking more then 23km or when it was raining. I think it saved my 50 odd year old knees.

I met people in the alberguies with blisters from that first day. And I saw racks of things they left behind. It is one of the most demanding and beautiful stretches, but can be physically taxing. Grateful I had poles!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Trish, what date in April are you starting. I will be doing my second Camino mid April but my first from St Jean pied de port. There was too much snow on both Napolean and Val Carlos when I was starting so I detoured to Pamplona and started there. I doubt we will be able to cross Route Napolean in April unless there is an exceptionally good spring so I have more or less resigned myself to the Val Carlos route. Maybe our paths will cross, Buen Camino
Hi tp - we are starting our walk on the 8th April but are planning to do it fairly slow with rest days every 5 days so you might just catch us. Looking forward to meeting you if that happens

Hi Trish,
April 8th is early and the weather may still be unpredictable of course. The Pilgrims' Office will let you know if it is safe to cross. If they say don't, then don't because it can be extremely dangerous and people do die when they get lost or have some kind of mishap. Not to be overly dramatic - it's not a high mountain - it's a foothill but - it has its mean moments.

On the other hand, the first time I crossed, in 2003, it was April 8th and there was no snow at all. It was mostly a sunny day but extremely windy and there were two or 3 times when we had to stop walking for a few minutes to let the gusts of wind die down. The wind actually blew me right over at one point - no small task! Flipped me onto my butt in 6 inches of grey mud! (now paved over at that point). One French guy broke his leg and had to be ambulanced home that day. But in general it was a spectacular walk over even though I dubbed it 'the devil's playground' during the windy parts. All of this to say people do safely cross every month of the year but listen to the advice of the people at the Pilgrims' Office. Mountains and oceans are usually benign but can be wicked when provoked:).

And just to say - it is paved for about the first 15 kilometers now. I think if you take it slowly and don't push yourself more than you're used to you shouldn't have any problems to keep on going the next days. I've crossed it 4 times in the last ten years and LOVE it! But I'm slow, I get tired, sometimes crabby and most times I have wondered why I've done it more than once. For me it IS the camino when I think back. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can walk the North Route and still walk the day from SJPP to Roncesvalles on the way.
Buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi tp - we are starting our walk on the 8th April but are planning to do it fairly slow with rest days every 5 days so you might just catch us. Looking forward to meeting you if that happens

Daily average temperature for April is Pamplona is 6 to 16 degrees C. The earlier in April, the colder it is likely to be. Obviously the mountain averages are worse.

Re-read what I first posted here and decided it wasn't an answer to the OP. As such people could get the impression that I'd just written to vent or expose and that would've been far off my intentions so I deleted my original text.
Sorry if anyone feels dissapointed.
Best regards

Last edited:
Thought i'd chime in with my experience crossing from sjpdp to Roncevalles in June 2012. It's a bit dramatic perhaps, but maybe useful to others.

Hope this helps.

Wow, Tony, as you say - a dramatic crossing. Thank you for being so brave for sharing your story. I hope your return to the Camino will be ordered, peaceful, healing and enjoyable too.

Don't take the first day out of Pamplona too lightly - it can be overdone too - don't try to reach Punta La Reina.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Kanga for the Punta La Reina advice.
Luckily I'm much better prepared now and looking forward to a healthy walk ;)

Hi All,

Hi All,

Trish,
You're correct about people of different ages and physical shapes having done it - so it's very doable!! For example, I am a polio survivor, with an artificial knee, and was in my late 60s, when I crossed the Pyrenees in early April last year (2013). Make sure you make reservation for the albergue in Orisson - the Napoleon route is beautiful, especially in early April. I did train hard for 10.5 months before the attempt (hiking 4-10 miles/day for most days) - but in hindsight, I probably didn't need that much training. One important thing: keep your backpack LIGHT! I started the camino in SJPP at 18 pounds but after crossing the Pyrenees I shed some items and was down to 11 pounds!! For me the physical challenge was not crossing the Pyrenees, but the slogging day after day - but I managed to get to Santiago eventually. If you are mentally and physically prepared, you can do it! Just take your time and listen to your feet, knees and body. Buen camino!

Hello, Fellow Pilgrims!
So many people recommended staying in Orisson that I thought I would, as well. I'm 65 years old, and at a good fitness level. Still...it seemed like a good idea to make the hike to Roncevalles in two days. However....a month away, and already Orisson is booked full! It's probably good for all pilgrims to expect to make the full trek to Roncevalles in one day. That way, you can prepare physically AND mentally!
Consider staying in Hunto which is a couple of Km. before Orisson.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trish,
You're correct about people of different ages and physical shapes having done it - so it's very doable!! For example, I am a polio survivor, with an artificial knee, and was in my late 60s, when I crossed the Pyrenees in early April last year (2013). Make sure you make reservation for the albergue in Orisson - the Napoleon route is beautiful, especially in early April. I did train hard for 10.5 months before the attempt (hiking 4-10 miles/day for most days) - but in hindsight, I probably didn't need that much training. One important thing: keep your backpack LIGHT! I started the camino in SJPP at 18 pounds but after crossing the Pyrenees I shed some items and was down to 11 pounds!! For me the physical challenge was not crossing the Pyrenees, but the slogging day after day - but I managed to get to Santiago eventually. If you are mentally and physically prepared, you can do it! Just take your time and listen to your feet, knees and body. Buen camino!
How did you get down to 11 pounds. What was in your pack. I leave for Spain in one week and start my Camino in St. Jean on 26th of August.

How did you get down to 11 pounds. What was in your pack. I leave for Spain in one week and start my Camino in St. Jean on 26th of August.
Apology for not checking in earlier. For the trip my wife had loaded me up with a lot of "just in case" stuffs! These were the first to go after crossing the Pyrenees. I ended up with 2 short sleeve & 1 long sleeve T shirts, 2 pairs of convertible cargo pants (all quick dry, light polyester), 2 pairs of socks, map, Samsung smart phone for camera & internet, 1 platypus 1 litter bladder with hose & mouthpiece (never fully filled). To keep the weight down, I did not take a sleeping bag, got rid of my liquid soap & shampoo, I sent my Patagonia down vest & rain pants home. I was cold in my sleeping liner only once - and I start walking on April 2 when it still snowed/hailed on some days. I only got soaked once in Finiterra - when it rained the whole day. Just by chance I was packing yesterday for my next camino (the Portugues - starting in mid October.) I used a German-made postal scale to weight every single item - and got the whole pack down to just shy of 11 lbs (I now pack merino wool shirt instead of polyester - for warmth.) The total weight includes the pack, a Gregory Z30, which is 2 lbs 15 ozs empty!! I have ordered an ultra light Osprey Hormet 32 which weights only 1 lb 4 ozs. This will help me to reach my goal of keeping to the total weight to no more than 10 pounds!! I will have to try out the Osprey before the trip - it's a frameless pack so it may not distribute the weight evenly. Let's hope that it will work out. I really like the support of the Z30 except its weight! Buen camino!

Hi Trish ,,having done the Camino in 2010 ,and started from Lourdes France a few days before,when l was only 65 after having a Double by pass op a few years before,I found the Pyrenees climb not to bad, did stop for a break at Orisson,then went onto Roncesvalles, Its ok as long as you take it easy and stop now and then,the hardest part for me was going down the other side in through the woods to Roncesvalles,make sure your boots are not to tight,as your feet swell,and keep your backpack weight well down, to about 10kg, I managed to get to Santiago after a total of 38 days walking l am going back for a second trip next year myself (the big 70) remember going over the Pyrenees is 98% in your head,if you think and really want to do it you will ..Buen camino! and good luck

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, the crossing of the Pyrenees was a tough first day for me, but extremely rewarding. I enjoyed the bucolic splendour of this crossing so much that any difficulty, aches or pains experienced during the walk were numbed by my sense of wonderment, and quickly forgotten afterwards.

If I had time to do only one stage of the CF in future, it would be the walk between St Jean Pied de Port and Roncesvalles.

Worth noting that I did it in August, experienced partly cloudy skies, a pleasantly cool breeze at the summit, not a single drop of rain. Conditions couldn't have been better.

People of all fitness levels complete this stage. My advice is to begin early, don't push yourself and take lots of water/rest breaks, which will give you time to soak up the environment.

Hi Trish ,,having done the Camino in 2010 ,and started from Lourdes France a few days before,when l was only 65 after having a Double by pass op a few years before,I found the Pyrenees climb not to bad, did stop for a break at Orisson,then went onto Roncesvalles, Its ok as long as you take it easy and stop now and then,the hardest part for me was going down the other side in through the woods to Roncesvalles,make sure your boots are not to tight,as your feet swell,and keep your backpack weight well down, to about 10kg, I managed to get to Santiago after a total of 38 days walking l am going back for a second trip next year myself (the big 70) remember going over the Pyrenees is 98% in your head,if you think and really want to do it you will ..Buen camino! and good luck

Hi freespirit, Congrats for the big 70 next and year and good luck with the walk. When are you going? maybe we'll see you out there

I've done both the Napoleonic and the Valcarlos crossings. If the weather isn't clear, there's no good reason to take the high road.

The lower road has the added advantage of accommodation and services half way along, so you can ease into the camino. I did the lower road in one day, and the second half is more 'difficult*' than the first half, so overnighting isn't a bad idea. *It's not difficult, just more effort required; fill your water bottle at Valcarlos.

The high road is about the only stretch on the entire camino Frances where you need to carry food and a good supply of water. The pilgrim office told me the first time I was there, and did the high road in the wind, after walking from Le Puy, "it's not hard, just long".

Slow and steady, breathe, one foot in front of the next.

Buen camino.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back