• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Is finding accommodation on the Camino Frances, becoming too stressful?

the calling

I am currently spending the night in Villamayor de Monjardin, I stressed all of yesterday about finding a bed in Estella and now everyone is stressing about finding a bed somewhere tomorrow. This is not in keeping with the idea of being a true pilgrim, taking time to enjoy the journey and trusting that one will find a bed.
Panic is setting amongst the Pilgrims, here and my room mates are all leaving here at 5:30am tomorrow morning and already asleep at 7.30pm!! This is ridiculous!!! I want to trust in this spirit of this journey, as I am walking all the way from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, but I am finding it difficult amongst so much panic and negativity, caused by "long weekend pilgrims!" Anyone one out there offering any advice?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same thing in Pamplona. Not what I was hoping to get out of this experience. Last night someone lectured me about the importance of being on the road by 7:00am at the latest in order to secure a bed at the next destination. I am conflicted as to wether it is worth it to continue on. I don't want to spend the entire Camino worried over stopping to eat or take pictures or just take in the scenery! Quite a few individuals at this albergue arrived after mid day, showered, prepared their gear for tomorrow ", had a bite to eat and were in bed before 8. They didn't even take time to stroll through the old city and take it all in!!! :-(

I certainly would not let it stress me out and ruin my Camino. Don't get me wrong, it was on my mind, especially during the last 10o km when the number of peregrinos increased rapidly. I just figured what will be, will be. I had extra cash on me in the event I would have to find a private room in a pension house/hotel/hostel.
Another option is maybe have a contingency plan. Have a back-up town in your mind where you want to stay everyday. That town may be a few km's sooner or later than where you originally planned on staying. The guidebook will help you do that.
Just relax, smell the roses and have a good time. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Funny you should mention "the guidebook". The stages are all anyone seems to be discussing at the albergues. This seems to be a source of unnecessary stress for everyone who has studied it! :-/

Funny you should mention "the guidebook". The stages are all anyone seems to be discussing at the albergues. This seems to be a source of unnecessary stress for everyone who has studied it! :-/

Really? Ha ha. Stress? Really?
Why would one do that? It's a "guide book", not a "rule book". Ha ha.
I think they are useful in describing distances, towns, albergues etc, but even the people that write them would probably find it silly that others would adhere so strictly to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for thecalling and jeniffer. Did any who wanted a bed not find a bed? Not asking if they didn't get "the" bed they wanted. Rather asking if everyone found a place to rest their head for the night. I'm walking in June for a 3rd time and like my previous pilgrimages refuse to let others stress negatively effect my outlook on life. Just for reference, in 2012 I walked the CF from SJPP to Santiago, mid-May to Mid-June and never once had to sleep outside. Last year walking the CP in April from Lisbon I wish I had company. Truly an inward journey. I'm actually excited about the possibility to entertain the masses on the CF this year. The next 32 days can't pass fast enough.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am currently spending the night in Villamayor de Monjardin, I stressed all of yesterday about finding a bed in Estella and now everyone is stressing about finding a bed somewhere tomorrow. This is not in keeping with the idea of being a true pilgrim, taking time to enjoy the journey and trusting that one will find a bed. Panic is setting amongst the Pilgrims, here and my room mates are all leaving here at 5:30am tomorrow morning and already asleep at 7.30pm!! This is ridiculous!!! I want to trust in this spirit of this journey, as I am walking all the way from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, but I am finding it difficult amongst so much panic and negativity, caused by "long weekend pilgrims!" Anyone one out there offering any advice?

How ironic! Typically, I stay in hostels leaving albergue accomodations to those who prefer that type of accomodation and/or cannot afford paying extra. In doing so, I can take my time on the Camino and feel good about help improve local economies. I have witnessed countless times the Run to the Beds; oftent times the same pilgrims who looked down on my pilgrimage because I stayed in hostels are the ones who act in a manner that is not really representative of a pilgrim rushing and almost kicking people out of the trail as they rushed to get a bed ahead of everybody....Go figure.

Did any who wanted a bed not find a bed? Not asking if they didn't get "the" bed they wanted. Rather asking if everyone found a place to rest their head for the night.
Lots of people worry about getting the next bed. But, I don't think there's much reason for concern about finding available beds, especially at this time. Waves sometimes form where many people are following the common stage divisions (such as those from Brierley). Waves also form around major starting cities on weekends. The combination of these two waves have an amplified impact.

The trick, then, is simply to surf in between the waves. Stay in towns before or after the major stops (e.g. Arre or Cizur Menor instead of Pamplona) or pace yourself somewhere in between the major stops. If caught in a large wave, take a long day or short day to get out into the trough of the wave.

I walked mostly in June, and most days I started walking around 7 am and stopped between 2 and 3 pm. I didn't stop because of the drive to grab a bed; it was because I was physically done for the day. It was also early enough to grab the menu del dia. I never slept outside and never had any serious issues with albergues or alternate lodging.

Stopping at the smaller towns in between the Brierley stages worked very well for me, including with the crush of pilgrims after Sarria. The only time I was without a bed was the first day out of Burgos. A sustained and bitter rain drove a lot of the departing Pilgrims to take a short day, which filled up the smaller albergues in the smaller towns, but they did overflow us into a gym on cots. In Leon, I arrived late in the day, and simply stayed at a hostel instead (which I knew would likely be the case and was just fine because I wanted to stay out late and sleep in late as part of a rest day).

Panic is setting amongst the Pilgrims, here and my room mates are all leaving here at 5:30am tomorrow morning and already asleep at 7.30pm!! This is ridiculous!!! Anyone one out there offering any advice?

You are right, it is ridiculous. In 7 caminos I've never had to sleep outside. The challenge is to stand against the tide. Dawdle. Drag your feet. Stop for long second breakfast. Don't plan where you are going to stop. If the albergue is full, go to the local bar and ask for "une habitación" . A bed will turn up.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Addendum. If you have a smartphone with maps and Internet, you can, in emergency, look for accommodation slightly off the Camino - medieval pilgrims often wandered all over the countryside. Miam Miam Dodo lists all accommodation within 5 kilometres of the trail and could give you some peace of mind. Find some French pilgrims; they might have a copy.

Last edited:
I have never had a bed problem on the Camino Frances. There is more accommodation available now than there was 5 years ago. However you may have to be flexible about where you will stay. The municipal albergues tend to fill up first because they are cheap. If you can afford hostals then you can book ahead.

Koilife. Amen my brother. I've gotten pretty good at finding hidden gems with alternate accommodation. I've slept in rooms above pizza parlors and behind bars. The only little bit of daily planning I do is to avoid the guidebook stage stops. I too rarely start before 7-7:30a and end no earlier than 2-2:30p.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It's always struck me as rather un-brotherly, this rush for beds. So you start walking at 6, to arrive at noon, to stand in line to get a bed so that those arriving at 2pm will find the line for beds is longer than the line of beds itself, and are forced to move on... but you got there first so have got a bed. Is this what the Camino is? Getting first dibs? No, it is not. Let them race for their beds. Let them stand in line. So they will get the five-euro bunk, with the drunken weekender in the bed above keeping them awake all night. If such is their victory, let them have it. Tomorrow, be the last to leave the albergue. Sip tea until the sun is over the horizon, and then sweep up after the panicky hordes. There is beauty in the silence they leave behind

I tend to gravitate away from negativity, it messes with my zen ;)
If those around you are not conducive to your positive development and/or experience, I'd suggest finding like-minded souls to be around... or just enjoy your own company.

I start my first Camino in two weeks but I am genuinely looking forward to the uncertainty of not knowing where I will rest at the end of each day, I anticipate starting and ending my daily journey when I feel like it or when it feels right...

I'll decide how fast or slow and how far I want to walk, how early or late I'd like to rise or stop walking for the day...
I'll enjoy the whole experience of the Camino and if I meet people along the way who are negative or panicky or forceful with their ideas/views, I'll thank them but tell them politely and nicely that it's not how I want to experience my Camino.
And if I meet people rushing for beds... as tired as I may be, I pray for strength and peace to give up my bed (if I have one to give away that is) so they can hopefully understand goodwill and pay it forward.

I sssooo anticipate finding hidden gems along the way, exploring smaller towns where many may not venture (I suppose in my humble opinion).
I think places like these are the best part of a persons adventures.

Oooohhh I can't wait! I don't even own a guidebook! I'll take each day as it comes and what will be, will be :)

It's your Camino after all, enjoy it the way you want to and not according to someone else's idea of how you should.

Buen Camino :)

Marie

If those around you are not conducive to your positive development and/or experience, I'd suggest finding like-minded souls to be around... or just enjoy your own company.

I start my first Camino in two weeks but I am genuinely looking forward to the uncertainty of not knowing where I will rest at the end of each day, I anticipate starting and ending my daily journey when I feel like it or when it feels right...

I'll decide how fast or slow and how far I want to walk, how early or late I'd like to rise or stop walking for the day...
I'll enjoy the whole experience of the Camino and if I meet people along the way who are negative or panicky or forceful with their ideas/views, I'll thank them but tell them politely and nicely that it's not how I want to experience my Camino.
And if I meet people rushing for beds... as tired as I may be, I pray for strength and peace to give up my bed (if I have one to give away that is) so they can hopefully understand goodwill and pay it forward.

I sssooo anticipate finding hidden gems along the way, exploring smaller towns where many may not venture (I suppose in my humble opinion).

Oooohhh I can't wait! I don't even own a guidebook! I'll take each day as it comes and what will be, will be :)

It's your Camino after all, enjoy it the way you want to and not according to someone else's idea of how you should.

Marie

Excellent sentiment. I am also starting my first Camino next week and trust that what will be will be...
perhaps we may even bump into each other!
Regards

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wrote all about this when I blogged about my Camino last year. I think this "stress" is just another metaphor on the Camino. You can choose to get pulled in by other people's negative energy of not...same as in regular life. You can choose to believe all the fear-based stories that people will tell you or not - same as in real life. Or you can choose to be positive and have faith and TRUST that the Camino will provide. I chose the latter and I'm not saying I didn't have some longer days than I expected (due to "pilgrims" booking in advance and freaking out), but I survived and learned so much about myself and am a better person for it. The Camino should be a respite from fear and competition and stress. Let those people who want to get up at 5 AM knock themselves out. I assure you they are missing the point.

We started walking on March 17th, and ended on April 23rd. Even in the last 100km (during holy week), when things started to get really busy, we didn't have to worry about beds - even though lots of people did. It probably helped that we didn't follow any stages - we just walked as far as we wanted and stopped when we'd had enough. We heard stories about full albergues during the last 5 days, and - simply because we stopped 3 or 4 km before or after that particular town - we found ourselves the only pilgrims in an albergue two nights in a row!

I know it's easy for me to say, since the vast majority of our walk was "off-season", but I'd say just walk and don't let the stress and negativity overwhelm you. I don't think I would have enjoyed my camino anywhere near as much if I'd felt the need to rush. As it was, we left at 8 and arrived at 4 - only 20-25 km with LOTS of breaks to chat and visit and drink cafe con leche along the way. Leaving in the dark and rushing to the next stop, all the while worried about a bed, doesn't sound like much fun at all. :/

If you know exactly where you want to stop for the night, you could always book ahead in a private albergue, at least for the first few days until you feel a bit more confident.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lots of people worry about getting the next bed. But, I don't think there's much reason for concern about finding available beds, especially at this time. Waves sometimes form where many people are following the common stage divisions (such as those from Brierley). Waves also form around major starting cities on weekends. The combination of these two waves have an amplified impact.

The trick, then, is simply to surf in between the waves. Stay in towns before or after the major stops (e.g. Arre or Cizur Menor instead of Pamplona) or pace yourself somewhere in between the major stops. If caught in a large wave, take a long day or short day to get out into the trough of the wave.

I walked mostly in June, and most days I started walking around 7 am and stopped between 2 and 3 pm. I didn't stop because of the drive to grab a bed; it was because I was physically done for the day. It was also early enough to grab the menu del dia. I never slept outside and never had any serious issues with albergues or alternate lodging.

Stopping at the smaller towns in between the Brierley stages worked very well for me, including with the crush of pilgrims after Sarria. The only time I was without a bed was the first day out of Burgos. A sustained and bitter rain drove a lot of the departing Pilgrims to take a short day, which filled up the smaller albergues in the smaller towns, but they did overflow us into a gym on cots. In Leon, I arrived late in the day, and simply stayed at a hostel instead (which I knew would likely be the case and was just fine because I wanted to stay out late and sleep in late as part of a rest day).
Koilife,

I love your wave metaphor. It is very poetic. :)

Mary

Koilife. Amen my brother. I've gotten pretty good at finding hidden gems with alternate accommodation. I've slept in rooms above pizza parlors and behind bars. The only little bit of daily planning I do is to avoid the guidebook stage stops. I too rarely start before 7-7:30a and end no earlier than 2-2:30p.
I did start several days early because those were planned longer stages (like 5:30 out of O' Cebriero to walk the 33km to Samos). I dislike walking in the brutal heat of the day, and I like to get in while the menu del dia is still going PRIOR to siesta. I often grabbed lunch and then went to find an albergue around 3:00 or 3:30. Missing my main meal of the day was more serious for me than missing a bed!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We live in the age of anxiety. If it's not anxiety about a bed, it's anxiety about something else. Unfortunately it can be contagious. Because others are acting irrationally, it's important not to let that become you. It all works out, and the unknowns often produce the best experiences for me.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same thing in Pamplona. I am conflicted as to wether it is worth it to continue !!! :-(

Jennifer, remember this is your camino. Don't give up.
Not all nights will be like those so far. It sounds like there are a lot of pilgrims in your immediate zone right now.. But....Try to peddle back slightly and keep out of the conversations about beds, and smile at them.

Annie

We live in the age of anxiety. If it's not anxiety about a bed, it's anxiety about something else. Unfortunately it can be contagious. Because others are acting irrationally, it's important not to let that become you. It all works out, and the unknowns often produce the best experiences for me.

I'm with you tploomis , Is this bed anxiety deal in part stress over lack of comfort maybe or insecurity possibly ? We spend years training , $1000's of dollars in preparation and travel and when we arrive we go bonkers over making sure we get a 7 x 3 ' rectangle , with a shroud . I just don't get it . Maybe theres werewolves and vampires roaming about at night ?.. I better do a search to see if there's a thread about that on the forum.

. I start my Camino at the end of September and I hear that is not near as crowded as the spring/early summer months so I won't ask my Dr for valium this trip ... maybe next trip

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Do what pilgrims have done for a thousand years: ask God to take care of you. You´re a pilgrim, after all -- divine providence is one of the free benefits that come with the package. (But you gotta ask. And you have to accept what shows up!)

And don't forget Mushkil Gusha, the remover of all difficulties; he will often help.

Marie
I start my camino the end of May and I am also very excited. When I read some of these blogs about people leaving at 5:30 in the morning to rush to get to the next town for a bed, I wonder why are they even on the Camino.

I start my camino the end of May and I am also very excited. When I read some of these blogs about people leaving at 5:30 in the morning to rush to get to the next town for a bed, I wonder why are they even on the Camino.
Although some clearly do, not everyone who starts early is rushing to get a bed. I can think of at least seven valid reasons to leave early:
  1. to avoid the waves of departing crowds so as to walk in greater solitude.
  2. to walk a longer distance for that day and still end at their normal time.
  3. to finish the day in time for the main afternoon meal rather than have to wait for a heavy evening meal.
  4. to avoid the worst of the afternoon heat.
  5. to ensure extra time to explore their destination.
  6. to enjoy the sunrise.
  7. the person is simply an early riser.
The day I left O'Cebriero at 5:30 and headed out to Samos was precisely for the first six of the above reasons. I must especially note the sunrise, with thick clouds below the mountain's top---it was like looking out over a rolling white ocean with the arms of the mountain jutting out like peninsulas, and with a rising sun on one horizon and a setting full moon on the other horizon. On another day, I left around that same time and was rewarded by walking through primeval mists in the Galacian countryside with the rising sun peeking through the slowly swirling mists. These early times of the day were priceless for me, both for their beauty, and because, after weeks of walking, the two or so hours alone with God was profound before the waves of pilgrims started to form.

In every instance that I left early, it had absolutely nothing to do with getting a bed. Likewise, many of the more experienced walkers that I met tended to be early risers, for many of the same reasons that I list above. None of them were worried about beds either.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe this conversation answers the questions about carrying a sleeping bag and pad? Could be sleeping in a empty field.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We started walking on March 17th, and ended on April 23rd. Even in the last 100km (during holy week), when things started to get really busy, we didn't have to worry about beds - even though lots of people did. It probably helped that we didn't follow any stages - we just walked as far as we wanted and stopped when we'd had enough. We heard stories about full albergues during the last 5 days, and - simply because we stopped 3 or 4 km before or after that particular town - we found ourselves the only pilgrims in an albergue two nights in a row!

I know it's easy for me to say, since the vast majority of our walk was "off-season", but I'd say just walk and don't let the stress and negativity overwhelm you. I don't think I would have enjoyed my camino anywhere near as much if I'd felt the need to rush. As it was, we left at 8 and arrived at 4 - only 20-25 km with LOTS of breaks to chat and visit and drink cafe con leche along the way. Leaving in the dark and rushing to the next stop, all the while worried about a bed, doesn't sound like much fun at all. :/

If you know exactly where you want to stop for the night, you could always book ahead in a private albergue, at least for the first few days until you feel a bit more confident.

Just wondering did you find it hard to find ' albergues ' 3-4 km either side of the main stopping points ,as this bed run routine, just sounds like rush hour traffic which I do not likeo_O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just wondering did you find it hard to find ' albergues ' 3-4 km either side of the main stopping points ,as this bed run routine, just sounds like rush hour traffic which I do not likeo_O
Hi, jassy,

I was on CF in 2009 and (in whole) 2011. I'm extremely lazy guy and late sleeper. Almost everyday hospitaleros threw me out at 8. Usually I began half an hour later, making at least 2 stops for cafe, beer, picnic lunch (1h each), walking average of 23kms/day - so I was coming at "final" destination at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and never had any problems finding a bed. But of course I wasn't in the wave most of the time, unless it was for Logrono, Burgos, Leon etc. The only time I've had to ask in the third albergue was in Carrion de los Condes, but I came in at 6 ;)

If you'll fail to get a bed in municicpal or parrochial or even private albergues, there's still a bar in the village in which you can ask for a bed. Be sure they'll arrange something for you :) Just don't think too much about it, walk as you feel like to and enjoy. Free your mind quote could be the right one.

Ultreia!

Several Blogs on the web where people talk about Pilgrims in Taxis getting all of the beds. I thought that walkers received Priority--No?

Ditch the guide book. If everybody follows a "guidebook" it seems like all the beds get taken. Forget it. Drop your itinerary, take your time. The Camino will provide. Don't be a sheep. As the poem says,
Caminante, no hay camino. Se hace camino al andar....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, jassy,

I was on CF in 2009 and (in whole) 2011. I'm extremely lazy guy and late sleeper. Almost everyday hospitaleros threw me out at 8. Usually I began half an hour later, making at least 2 stops for cafe, beer, picnic lunch (1h each), walking average of 23kms/day - so I was coming at "final" destination at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and never had any problems finding a bed. But of course I wasn't in the wave most of the time, unless it was for Logrono, Burgos, Leon etc. The only time I've had to ask in the third albergue was in Carrion de los Condes, but I came in at 6 ;)

If you'll fail to get a bed in municicpal or parrochial or even private albergues, there's still a bar in the village in which you can ask for a bed. Be sure they'll arrange something for you :) Just don't think too much about it, walk as you feel like to and enjoy. Free your mind quote could be the right one.

Ultreia!

Ha Love it Ultreia:):D. thanks for reply just curious what time of year did you go at .

Thanks

Jason;)

Quite a few if us were not able to find a bed in Larazoaña and btw, good thing for us! The hospitalera was unbelievably rude. There was a girl standing outside crying because the hospitalera would not help her find a place. Met an older gentleman outside that was unpacking his tent because he simply could not go on. The rest of us all had to keep going to the next town. People have told me awful stories about what a horrible place it is. You really cannot believe everything you read in "that" book! Yesterday, I got the last bed anywhere in Estella. I had tried to find a bed at the two previous towns, but both were completely full. People came by after me and said they had also tried at all of the albergues and could not find a bed. The hospitaleros where I stayed across the street from the church (donativo) called an albergue in the next town and reserved beds for them. It's rough out there and it is only Spring!

Ha Love it Ultreia:):D. thanks for reply just curious what time of year did you go at .

Thanks

Jason;)
Hi, Jason,

actually my name isn't Ultreia :). You can find its meaning here:
http://www.ultreia64.fr/en/ultreia-name/

I've done my walk late May and June, but obviously numbers really increased since then as well as accommodation problems connected to it as I can see from @Jeniffer 's post. On the other hand both Larrasoana and Estella are Brierley's (and also for a lot more guidebooks) main stops for the day. I'm almost sure breaking the stages, staying overnight a bit before/after main stops, avoiding the wave of pilgs etc. would solve the problem.

Ultreia!

Folks, there are more flavors than vanilla and chocolate. If you can't avoid (or you like) going between May-August, and you feel nervous about crowds and bed reservation, try other Caminos. There are many, much less crowded, in Spain. And there is no rule specifying that you have to end your pilgrimage at Compostela. It is possible to walk a jacobean way in France, or even in Germany, as far as you like.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Quite a few if us were not able to find a bed in Larazoaña and btw, good thing for us! The hospitalera was unbelievably rude. There was a girl standing outside crying because the hospitalera would not help her find a place. Met an older gentleman outside that was unpacking his tent because he simply could not go on. The rest of us all had to keep going to the next town. People have told me awful stories about what a horrible place it is. You really cannot believe everything you read in "that" book! Yesterday, I got the last bed anywhere in Estella. I had tried to find a bed at the two previous towns, but both were completely full. People came by after me and said they had also tried at all of the albergues and could not find a bed. The hospitaleros where I stayed across the street from the church (donativo) called an albergue in the next town and reserved beds for them. It's rough out there and it is only Spring!

Did you try a private albergue out of interest ??

Marie

Hola Marie, I walked the Camino last Sept/Oct without a guide book. I knew nothing about "the stages" or the elevations of mountains/hills I had to climb. I had no phone numbers to call ahead for reservations. Like you, I like a bit of uncertainty - I always think things are going to work out just fine. I did get lost a few times, but "Camino Angels" (Spaniards and/or other pilgrims) always came along to point me in the direction of the next yellow arrow. You are going to have an incredible experience. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Excellent sentiment. I am also starting my first Camino next week and trust that what will be will be...
perhaps we may even bump into each other!
Regards

Awesome! Always great catching up with like minded souls :) I hope we do!
Buen Camino!

Hola Marie, I walked the Camino last Sept/Oct without a guide book. I knew nothing about "the stages" or the elevations of mountains/hills I had to climb. I had no phone numbers to call ahead for reservations. Like you, I like a bit of uncertainty - I always think things are going to work out just fine. I did get lost a few times, but "Camino Angels" (Spaniards and/or other pilgrims) always came along to point me in the direction of the next yellow arrow. You are going to have an incredible experience. Buen Camino!

Hola Santiago_67 thank you for the reassurance and best wishes :) I'm excited!
Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Buen Camino Rani :) have a wonderful Camino, it's all about the experience or the journey and not so much the destination I think.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am glad to hear this now before I go so I can plan accordingly. I agree with so many of your responses. I grew up in the country so I am not afraid of a little fresh air if that is what God thinks I need some nights. I got some great advice from my fellow Pittsburgher to wait until June to go because May is very busy. But I can also sympathize with those on the trail now that are having issues.

How ironic! Typically, I stay in hostels leaving albergue accomodations to those who prefer that type of accomodation and/or cannot afford paying extra. In doing so, I can take my time on the Camino and feel good about help improve local economies. I have witnessed countless times the Run to the Beds; oftent times the same pilgrims who looked down on my pilgrimage because I stayed in hostels are the ones who act in a manner that is not really representative of a pilgrim rushing and almost kicking people out of the trail as they rushed to get a bed ahead of everybody....Go figure.

¡Hola Olivares!

He visto listas de albergues, pero ¿hay listas de "Hostels? Pienso que esa es nuestra alternativa preferida con alguna que otra excepción que me imagino, si conviene, se nos presentará en el camino. Es nuestro primer camino y lo comenzamos en junio 2 desde Ponferrada.

Esa noche anterior la tenemos ya reservada en un hotel ya que queremos amanecer descansados después de viaje desde Orlando, FL (ya estamos de tarjeta dorada así que nos cuidamos un tanto más ahora que 20 años atrás).

Somos novatos en todo, desde caminar largas distancias a diario ¡¡hasta caminar con mochila y palos!! ¿Sugerencias? ¡Mil gracias compatriota, que si mal no recuerdo eres boricua!

Several Blogs on the web where people talk about Pilgrims in Taxis getting all of the beds. I thought that walkers received Priority--No?

The municipal, parochial or pilgrim association albergues are supposedly for unsupported walkers only, i.e. walking and carrying their own packs. But it's hard to police.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Jason,

actually my name isn't Ultreia :). You can find its meaning here:
http://www.ultreia64.fr/en/ultreia-name/

I've done my walk late May and June, but obviously numbers really increased since then as well as accommodation problems connected to it as I can see from @Jeniffer 's post. On the other hand both Larrasoana and Estella are Brierley's (and also for a lot more guidebooks) main stops for the day. I'm almost sure breaking the stages, staying overnight a bit before/after main stops, avoiding the wave of pilgs etc. would solve the problem.

Ultreia!

sorry KinkyOne about the name :D, and thank you for the info

Although some clearly do, not everyone who starts early is rushing to get a bed. I can think of at least seven valid reasons to leave early:
  1. to avoid the waves of departing crowds so as to walk in greater solitude.
  2. to walk a longer distance for that day and still end at their normal time.
  3. to finish the day in time for the main afternoon meal rather than have to wait for a heavy evening meal.
  4. to avoid the worst of the afternoon heat.
  5. to ensure extra time to explore their destination.
  6. to enjoy the sunrise.
  7. the person is simply an early riser.
The day I left O'Cebriero at 5:30 and headed out to Samos was precisely for the first six of the above reasons. I must especially note the sunrise, with thick clouds below the mountain's top---it was like looking out over a rolling white ocean with the arms of the mountain jutting out like peninsulas, and with a rising sun on one horizon and a setting full moon on the other horizon. On another day, I left around that same time and was rewarded by walking through primeval mists in the Galacian countryside with the rising sun peeking through the slowly swirling mists. These early times of the day were priceless for me, both for their beauty, and because, after weeks of walking, the two or so hours alone with God was profound before the waves of pilgrims started to form.

In every instance that I left early, it had absolutely nothing to do with getting a bed. Likewise, many of the more experienced walkers that I met tended to be early risers, for many of the same reasons that I list above. None of them were worried about beds either.
Thank you for saying this! I am a natural early riser and don't want people to hate me. I probably will be a slow walker for all my early rising . I might start a thread asking for advice for early risers. NOT for competition, but just because I wake early and lying around is a kind of torture... I am fully awake. Some of us are just natural early risers. I have been since I was a child.

¡Hola Olivares!

He visto listas de albergues, pero ¿hay listas de "Hostels? Pienso que esa es nuestra alternativa preferida con alguna que otra excepción que me imagino, si conviene, se nos presentará en el camino. Es nuestro primer camino y lo comenzamos en junio 2 desde Ponferrada.

Esa noche anterior la tenemos ya reservada en un hotel ya que queremos amanecer descansados después de viaje desde Orlando, FL (ya estamos de tarjeta dorada así que nos cuidamos un tanto más ahora que 20 años atrás).

Somos novatos en todo, desde caminar largas distancias a diario ¡¡hasta caminar con mochila y palos!! ¿Sugerencias? ¡Mil gracias compatriota, que si mal no recuerdo eres boricua!

En este Camino Forum puede encontrar todo. Aquí está un enlace que tiene una lista de albergues, hoteles, casas rurales, etc.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...nces-accommodation-hope-this-if-of-use.12557/ Solamente tiene que bajar la
información. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is making me re think our schedule :( I thought that May / June would be before the really busy summer months, but it seems from comments here and the stats provided, that May is a bit of a spike.

Is the issue (Bed Race) worst for those using Albergues, or are 'Gucci Pilgrims' like us likely to have problems too? (We intend using small hotels, B&B, Casa Rurals etc. And are happy to 'Taxi back or forward' to find a room if required, returning to our 'correct' start point the next day)

We would go earlier in the year, but my wife would not cope well with temperatures much below 18 C. (She is designed for living near the Equator)

Back to the 'drawing board' perhaps?

Thank you for saying this! I am a natural early riser and don't want people to hate me. I probably will be a slow walker for all my early rising . I might start a thread asking for advice for early risers. NOT for competition, but just because I wake early and lying around is a kind of torture... I am fully awake. Some of us are just natural early risers. I have been since I was a child.
The key thing is to leave quietly. No one will "hate" you if they don't know you've left until they wake and see the empty bed.

This is relatively easy with planning. Pack everything possible the night before. Make sure any bags you use are not going to rustle, and load them out in the hall if need be. Use a small red LED key fob light in the albergue so as not to affect people's night vision.

This is making me re think our schedule :( I thought that May / June would be before the really busy summer months, but it seems from comments here and the stats provided, that May is a bit of a spike.

Is the issue (Bed Race) worst for those using Albergues, or are 'Gucci Pilgrims' like us likely to have problems too? (We intend using small hotels, B&B, Casa Rurals etc. And are happy to 'Taxi back or forward' to find a room if required, returning to our 'correct' start point the next day)

We would go earlier in the year, but my wife would not cope well with temperatures much below 18 C. (She is designed for living near the Equator)

Back to the 'drawing board' perhaps?
You should be just fine. May and June are still smaller waves to the larger spikes later on, and there should be no problems with a "Gucci" pilgrimage. You should little to no issues with getting lodging and making reservations, especially if you use online services like booking.com and hostelworld.com. Be not afraid, St. Gucci will provide for you!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You should be just fine. May and June are still smaller waves to the larger spikes later on, and there should be no problems with a "Gucci" pilgrimage. You should little to no issues with getting lodging and making reservations, especially if you use online services like booking.com and hostelworld.com. Be not afraid, St. Gucci will provide for you!

Good to hear :)

I find the more that I look at climate and weather information, along with Pilgrim stats and forum posts I tends to lead to information overload, and 'analysis paralysis' :eek:

Rather than trying to plan for the 'optimum' experience in terms of weather and crowds, I suspect we should just pick a time and 'go with the flow' ...

If I was going alone, I might even go in Winter. (I enjoy Winter) But I'll leave that for another time.

Good to hear :)

I find the more that I look at climate and weather information, along with Pilgrim stats and forum posts I tends to lead to information overload, and 'analysis paralysis' :eek:

Rather than trying to plan for the 'optimum' experience in terms of weather and crowds, I suspect we should just pick a time and 'go with the flow' ...

If I was going alone, I might even go in Winter. (I enjoy Winter) But I'll leave that for another time.

I enjoy this forum immensely but indeed sometimes I find myself caught up in a 'too much' momentum.

I find the more that I look at climate and weather information, along with Pilgrim stats and forum posts I tends to lead to information overload, and 'analysis paralysis' :eek: Rather than trying to plan for the 'optimum' experience in terms of weather and crowds, I suspect we should just pick a time and 'go with the flow' ...
I think that's completely normal. If you're at all like me, you'll probably find two things about your overanalysis and overpreparation. 1) You're better prepared for when things slide sideways (and they likely will at some point along the way), which can be freeing in its own right and allow you to enter confidently into the experience. 2) You'll sit back and laugh at all the little things you worried about that simply don't matter in the grand scheme.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have just returned from a wonderful pilgrimage from Pamplona to Burges. There are those who will stress about accommodation but we didn't allow ourselves to be carried along and we always got accommodation. It's your Camino, follow your heart and enjoy your journey. You will get a bed!
Mcpilgrim

¡Hola Olivares!

Olivia-- como estas? Yo encantada de poder ofrecer algun consejo a una hermana Boricua!! :). He atado a este mensaje una lista inmensa que se ha compilado de hoteles, hostales, y albergues a lo largo del Camino Frances. Ya quisiera ofrecerte recomendaciones donde quedarte desde Ponferrada en adelante pero aun no he tenido la experiencia. Yo empiezo en Sahagun en Junio (2014) y ya tengo una lista de los hostales que he hecho reservaciones. Por ejemplo, de Ponferrada planeo caminar hasta Villafranca del Bierzo (24 Kms) donde me recomiendan el Hostal Puerta del Perdon. Sinceramente, considero que a mi edad (50 y tantos!) ya mi epoca de dormir en un dormitorio con 20 personas ya paso ;). Prefiero pagar 10-20 Euros mas y estar con mi privacidad y no molestar a nadie. Usualmente los hostales en Espana, especialmente a lo largo de la ruta, son muy limpios y los duenos muy agradables. Por alguna razon, cuando les dices que eres de Puerto Rico se encantan! Espero que la lista salga bien. Me dices si hay problemas para "bajarla".

De caminar con mochilas, pues es todo acostumbrarse e ir eliminando peso! La ruta que van a caminar les recomiendo un palo/baston o algo para tener un poco de soporte porque hay subidas y bajadas y un palo ayuda a maniobrar y a no poner todo el esfuerzo en las rodillas. Las veces que he tenido baston en el Camino yo lo compro alla mismo; en una ocasion me dieron uno de gratis en el Albergue en Pamplona; al parecer los peregrinos olvidan bastones donde quiera! Esa seria mi recomendacion que visitaran el albergue en Ponferrada y pregunten si hay bastones que ellos quieran disponer. Les deseo un BUEN CAMINO!!

Attachments

• Camino Frances Private Accommodation 2012.pdf
    424.3 KB · Views: 23
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pilgrims in taxis getting all the beds...???o_O That is either an urban myth or highly exagerated (...ALLL THE BEDS???). Municipal albergues won't even accept baggage transfer! If you say Pilgrims in taxis getting all the RESERVED PRIVATE ROOMS, then maybe since they are paying for that specific service. I think a lot of Hospitaleros along the Camino would love to learned WHO these other Hospitaleros are....

Last edited:
My son and I were "pilgrims in taxis" going into Hospital de Orbigo as he went badly lame with his tendinitis. We got a nasty looks from one pilgrim as we pulled up, but when we started helping my son out of the taxi, it was obvious he was injured, and one of the other pilgrims turned to the pilgrim that gave us the look and said, clear as day, "See! Don't judge!"

That day was in mid June, and at the albergue where we stayed, less than half the beds were filled. Kaleb and I slept in a dorm room all to ourselves.

Hello everyone i have been walking the camino since April 4 it is May 6th, I am in Rabanal, only once did we not find a bed in an albergue, but we did in a hostel. Relax enjoy the experience and the beautiful country. The once we didnt find an alberge we also were to tired to walk around town.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Olivares,

Is that a Spanish test? It is the first Spanish I have seen on the forum. I have been brushing up on my Spanish but no way can I figure out what you are saying. Am I going to have a problem not knowing a lot of Spanish. I learned some words to be able to be polite and ask questions.

Friends, there are ALWAYS beds. But sometimes you have to be open to deviating a bit from the Express Route that is the Camino. It's not just changing the stages but being willing to go to a town or hamlet a bit north or south of the main route. You can always take a cab back to the point at which you left the Camino. There should be no mad scramble. Part of the joy of this journey lies in serendipity of seeing something you didn't set out to see.

Early rising has many rewards, lovely sunrises, cool morning temperatures and the chance to see some forest animals. By 6:15 most of the summer there is enough daylight to walk without a headlamp. I don't even own one and I've started even early during a full moon and it lovely to walk in the moonlight. The suggestion to avoid the Brierley stages is worth heeding, Larrasoana shouldn't even be on the list, horrible accommodations and only one place to eat in 2011.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Olivares,

Is that a Spanish test? It is the first Spanish I have seen on the forum. I have been brushing up on my Spanish but no way can I figure out what you are saying. Am I going to have a problem not knowing a lot of Spanish. I learned some words to be able to be polite and ask questions.
The more the better, but you really can get by with the barest smattering of phrases. With a greater command of Spanish, new opportunities to explore the beautiful culture and people along the route, but that too is what return trips are for . . .

I started on April 30 in Leon and have walked 15 to 22k per day and have yet to have trouble finding lodging. Stayed in albergues in Leon, Villadangos del Paramo, Hospital de Orbigo, Astorga, Rabanal, and Acebo. Have yet to be on the road before 7:30. Ignore the stages. D
I am currently spending the night in Villamayor de Monjardin, I stressed all of yesterday about finding a bed in Estella and now everyone is stressing about finding a bed somewhere tomorrow. This is not in keeping with the idea of being a true pilgrim, taking time to enjoy the journey and trusting that one will find a bed.
Panic is setting amongst the Pilgrims, here and my room mates are all leaving here at 5:30am tomorrow morning and already asleep at 7.30pm!! This is ridiculous!!! I want to trust in this spirit of this journey, as I am walking all the way from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, but I am finding it difficult amongst so much panic and negativity, caused by "long weekend pilgrims!" Anyone one out there offering any advice?
Forget following the Brierly stages. I left Leon several days ago, have done about 15-22k per day, never left earlier than 7:30 or later than 8, stayed in an Albergue each night and never was turned away due to all beds taken.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Olivia-- como estas? Yo encantada de poder ofrecer algun consejo a una hermana Boricua!! :). He atado a este mensaje una lista inmensa que se ha compilado de hoteles, hostales, y albergues a lo largo del Camino Frances. Ya quisiera ofrecerte recomendaciones donde quedarte desde Ponferrada en adelante pero aun no he tenido la experiencia. Yo empiezo en Sahagun en Junio (2014) y ya tengo una lista de los hostales que he hecho reservaciones. Por ejemplo, de Ponferrada planeo caminar hasta Villafranca del Bierzo (24 Kms) donde me recomiendan el Hostal Puerta del Perdon. Sinceramente, considero que a mi edad (50 y tantos!) ya mi epoca de dormir en un dormitorio con 20 personas ya paso ;). Prefiero pagar 10-20 Euros mas y estar con mi privacidad y no molestar a nadie. Usualmente los hostales en Espana, especialmente a lo largo de la ruta, son muy limpios y los duenos muy agradables. Por alguna razon, cuando les dices que eres de Puerto Rico se encantan! Espero que la lista salga bien. Me dices si hay problemas para "bajarla".

De caminar con mochilas, pues es todo acostumbrarse e ir eliminando peso! La ruta que van a caminar les recomiendo un palo/baston o algo para tener un poco de soporte porque hay subidas y bajadas y un palo ayuda a maniobrar y a no poner todo el esfuerzo en las rodillas. Las veces que he tenido baston en el Camino yo lo compro alla mismo; en una ocasion me dieron uno de gratis en el Albergue en Pamplona; al parecer los peregrinos olvidan bastones donde quiera! Esa seria mi recomendacion que visitaran el albergue en Ponferrada y pregunten si hay bastones que ellos quieran disponer. Les deseo un BUEN CAMINO!!
¡Saludos!

En cuanto a equipo, ya estamos fijos y livianos y la lista de hostales es excelente, luego en la mañana la abro mejor en el trabajo ya que en la tableta aparece la información comprimida.

Pensamos también caminar hasta Villafranca del Bierzo ese primer día.

¡Buen Camino!

Hi Olivares, I will be starting in June - yes very busy - and probably stay in hostels if need be, but as a single traveller I guess this may get expensive. Did you travel solo and what sort of budget did you have per night - do you recall? Also do you remember any hostel that you really enjoyed? Thanks

Forget following the Brierly stages. I left Leon several days ago, have done about 15-22k per day, never left earlier than 7:30 or later than 8, stayed in an Albergue each night and never was turned away due to all beds taken.
Finally someone has the correct clue. (Now my Frances Camino is still ahead of me) But the real gem I took from Brierly's book was that his stages are only a guide. In the first 10 days walk at out your own pace - shorter days. You don't have to stick to a regilous 25 KM per day. Take the time to stop and smell the rose; wheat fields, donkey poo! what ever interests you. Also like Kanga's idea of looking for place "off - camino" - if there are two or three of you then share a taxi (or phone ahead they may come pick you up), or carry a few extra Euros for emergencies! Whilst we are all pilgrims - unfortunately "good fortune" does not always smile!! Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

book a room in a small hotel or B&B

Olivares,

paladycamino-- have no worries whatsoever! You are on the right track by learning some basic phrases, but the Camino has been "listening to strange tongues" for a 1,000 years and millions have made it to Santiago knowing less that you do right now; you will not be out of place! ;) I was lucky to live in Puerto Rico for many years where Spanish is the Official language but English is mandatory in the school curriculum.

I do love to speak Spanish with the locals. These conversations, while mostly casual, have really showed me how deeply proud are the Spaniards of the Camino de Santiago and how much it means to the local communities. A gorgeous country with amazing people and a beautiful language.

Last edited:
Hi Olivares, I will be starting in June - yes very busy - and probably stay in hostels if need be, but as a single traveller I guess this may get expensive. Did you travel solo and what sort of budget did you have per night - do you recall? Also do you remember any hostel that you really enjoyed? Thanks
viv1959-- I budget 30 Euros/night. Albergues are usually average 10 Euros (if donativo). My pilgrimage starts way before I set foot in Spain because I do not spend on extra handbags, shoes, or clothes and save the money to cover that difference. As far as memorable stays, the average hostal along the Camino is clean and pleasant owners. Highlights among these I would say: Hostal Alfonso VI (Sahagun), the Cistercian Nuns Convent (Sto. Domingo de la Calzada), Albergue (private) A Santiago (Belorado). Usually the smaller towns have gems at very reasonable prices. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Olivares,

Thank you for letting me know it was ok if I was not as fluent as I would like in Spanish. And for the suggestions of places to stay. We are really going to be taking our time and really savoring the experience. So who knows maybe will see you on the walk.

Marie
Where are you starting from? A friend and myself start in SJPP headed to Orisson on the 24th.

Where are you starting from? A friend and myself start in SJPP headed to Orisson on the 24th.

Hey Des,

I start from SJPDP on the 16th of May but the 24th is my 33rd birthday so I hope to meet some people along the way to share a meal to celebrate another year!
Hopefully we will meet somewhere along the way but if not... Buen Camino!

Arrggghhhh I have only one more day at work before I leave for Europe on Sunday and it is getting increasingly hard to focus on work knowing I have this adventure ahead of me :rolleyes: lol

Buen Camino,
Marie

Hola "Calling",
I did my inaugural Camino last year, Le Puy to Finnesterre, May to end of July. That's roughly 1100 miles, 70 days, give or take a few. That's considered "prime time" for Camino walking, especially since I had hoped to be in Santiago for the St. James feast day on 25 July, the biggest day of the year for citizens of that highly sought city. Lots of Pilgrims. Those are my bonafides, so I think I can fairly offer you the advice you asked for.

First and foremost, "stressing" is a choice. There is no need for it. In all of those 70 days, only once did I fail to find a bed in the village of my first choice. So I walked on to the next village and stayed there. No big deal. And yes, in most, but not all, lodgings (gites de tap and alburgue alike) there were some pilgrims bound and determined to "stress" about getting exactly to point A and claiming a bed by X time of day. A lot of that had to do with getting a "prime" location with a "preferred" bed siting (you know, lower bunk, next to window, close to bathroom but not TOO close, etc, etc). If you're capable of leaving that kind of junk out of your head, you're going to be able to enjoy every minute of every day. The only "deadlines" I noted were the "doors close at" times. Another "stress-causer" was people being glued to the guide book "stages". Many midpoint villages are delightful stops. So stop there. Smile at people. Hold hands with the old folk who so often came out to see us Pilgrims. Buy their cafe con leche. Enjoy their fresh food. Leave tips. Laugh. Wave. Lose your gringo accent with your Buenos Dias's and Gracias's.

Having a spirit filled and joyous Camino is up to you. Don't blame anyone else if it doesn't happen.

Buen Camino and Vaya con Dios,
Pilgrim Farmer John

This is my first camino and this really is the last thing I am worried about. I actually am not worried about a thing. I trust the camino will take care of me. For me, a big part of this journey is letting go (of lots of things/people/ideas) and I refuse to fret about finding a place to sleep each night. I plan to start each day after I have had a cup of coffee, walk until I am tired, find a place to stay for the night, and leisurely explore my surroundings. Buen camino!

This is my first camino and this really is the last thing I am worried about. I actually am not worried about a thing. I trust the camino will take care of me. For me, a big part of this journey is letting go (of lots of things/people/ideas) and I refuse to fret about finding a place to sleep each night. I plan to start each day after I have had a cup of coffee, walk until I am tired, find a place to stay for the night, and leisurely explore my surroundings. Buen camino!

Well, then, Ms Erin, you are going to have a splendid Camino. Write about it, either to yourself or to others. Take pictures. Absorb it into your very bones. It is a life-affirming endeavor.
PFJ

Thank you Farmer John, I plan to absorb it all, journal (mostly for me) then come home living the life I was meant to live. I recently read something that really captures a big part of the purpose of my camino. It said, "my journey isn't so much about becoming anything. It's about un-becoming everything that isn't really me so I can be who I was meant to be in the first place"

You will do just fine with that attitude. Pilgrims who "had" to do exactly 23.7245 kilometers a day to stay "on the schedule I drew up 6 months ago at home" were a buzz kill. It's not the Bataan Death March. No one is going to bayonet you if you stop and look at the sunrise.

And I never had a problem finding a place to sleep at night. Yes, a few times my first choice was full. But my second choice turned out just fine--every time. Trust the Camino and it provides.

€60,-
Erin, I love your attitude and hope I get to meet you sometime in June. I start from SJPdP on the 6th and I suspect you will probably pass me during the second week. One word of advice, you might actually have to walk for an hour before that first cup of coffee in the morning, you will find that most café bars do not open until 9 and rarely will you find anything being served in the morning at the place you spent the night.
Robert is totally correct about pilgrims who have planned there route down to the millisecond, some days it rains and one finds the going slow after carrying an extra few pounds of mud on their boots for hours on end and then other days it is so glorious one never wants to stop walking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Farmer John, I plan to absorb it all, journal (mostly for me) then come home living the life I was meant to live. I recently read something that really captures a big part of the purpose of my camino. It said, "my journey isn't so much about becoming anything. It's about un-becoming everything that isn't really me so I can be who I was meant to be in the first place"

Ha love it Erin , was fretting about beds myself but after reading suggestions here of avoiding main bottle necks etc I am relaxed about it now. Let me know how you get on with sourcing first coffee in the morning as I am a caffine nut. Buen Camino :)

Hi everyone it sounds difficult to get accommodation along the way, is it really that bad, it is putting me off doing the walk as I am 64

First and foremost, "stressing" is a choice. Many midpoint villages are delightful stops. So stop there. Smile at people. Hold hands with the old folk who so often came out to see us Pilgrims. Buy their cafe con leche. Enjoy their fresh food. Leave tips. Laugh. Wave. Lose your gringo accent with your Buenos Dias's and Gracias's.
Buen Camino and Vaya con Dios,
Pilgrim Farmer John

Love your post farmer john, also Roberts comments.

I think the more this is repeated, the better, and hope those sentiments are what are discussed between the newbies, rather than the negative /panic spreaders.
So bottom line, kick back, enjoy the walk, get off the stress merry-go-round. Go back and read farmer johns comments!
Annie

Hi everyone it sounds difficult to get accommodation along the way, is it really that bad, it is putting me off doing the walk as I am 64
I walked the Camino when I was 65, 66, 67 and again this year at 68 in June, July and September and never found myself without a place to spend the night.

I walked the Camino when I was 65, 66, 67 and again this year at 68 in June, July and September and never found myself without a place to spend the night.
Kudos to you, b-don! I was 66 and found that fact to be more of an advantage than a disadvantage. If my plans and dreams come true, I'll be 70 when I return with one or more of my grandchildren. And if I keep my promises to all of them, I'll be 84 when the last of them comes of "Camino Age" :) I can only hope!

No, no, no!! It simply is not difficult at all. Please do not let this talk discourage you, specially when it seems that the overwhelming impression is that getting lodging along the Camino (even in the busiest months) is not difficult at all.

The main issue seems to be, as so well described by Farmer John, that people get caught up in Brierley's "cookie cutter" Camino and on bed specifications (lower bunk, window to the right, bathrooms no farther than 6 feet away...;)) and consequently it develops into the "Run to the Beds" you start to see after noon time. I stay in hostels mostly, so I take my sweet time, go into as many churches, towns, and monuments as I want to. Last Camino (October 2013) I even took some time to help an elderly man in a small village do some yard work. He had been asking passerby pilgrims for some help to lift a couple of buckets of dirt, but it appears they could not understand him. I speak Spanish so I helped him as best I could; an unplanned and delightful stop.

One of the biggest truths about the Camino is that it always provides. Let it be.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back