• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Finisterre worth the extra time?

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I start my Journey from SJPP I will have 41 days, and that must include getting to Madrid and home Mid morning on the 21st of June. I am trying to plan my journey a bit, leaving the Camino spirit to guide me a little. Is it worth the extra time to walk to the Ocean? I live in Washington state and can go anytime. Is it just a youe person party excuse? I'm thinking i would rather spend some extra rest days in the beautiful towns and villages along the way. Also, I don't want to carry poles. I have never used them, I have good knees and ankles, and it will probably drive me crazy. I like my hands free and like to swing my arms. Am I crazy?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have not walked past Santiago but have visited Fisterra and Muxia by bus. I did not like Fisterra one bit, but there is something magical about sitting on mysterious boulders facing the ocean watching the sunset in Muxia. It was certainly not an excuse for the young to party. Now, would it still be nagging me to go if I had not been to Fisterra even if I didn't like it? Yup! Now I am not curious, I know what it's like, my mind is at peace. I am planning to walk the route in May after completing Porto to Santiago, ending on those boulders watching the sun set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the bus for a day trip to Fisterra. The town was ok, but hiking around outside of town was really nice. April this year I'm adding A night in Muxia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I took the bus for a day trip to Fisterra. The town was ok, but hiking around outside of town was really nice. April this year I'm adding A night in Muxia.
That's an idea, take the bus to see it but not hike there. I would rather spend my time exploring ancient churches and towns. Thanks

We walked to Finesterre basically because when I got to Santiago, I was not done walking. I wanted to keep going, so I did. Much fewer pilgrims, and we took it in 5 stages, so very short days.

By the time you get to Santiago, you will have your own answer. Don't try to guess in advance what that answer will be. The Camino will teach you as you go. For me, I noticed that preset answers (I have to stay at this alburgue; I have to walk this many kms; I have to walk with these people; etc.) could block that teaching.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I've done both walk and bus in my previous Caminos.

Things feels different depending on the mode of transport.

Walk if you have the time and your feet feels lost after they stop walking in Santiago. If you do then go to Finisterre first before Muxia (the other way is actually longer and some backtracking).

If you are not walking just take the bus to Muxia as Finisterre will feel like a tourist town. Muxia has this magical air around it (for me) and church by the sea is just picture perfect.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was very glad to have finished the walk in Finnesterre. It is along the way as you reach the ocean before Finnestere that seemed to be most special. When I return again I will walk to Muxia & then on to Finnesterre. This is very personal journey very quiet. No parties... I find it interesting that those who have not walked it seem to make some of these comments. I will say we each make our own Camino & if you choose to slow down & enjoy the Camino it will be a blessing & a very wonderful education. It will be your Camino. Regardless it will be special.

You do not need to buy another guide. The route is well marked.
When you arrive in Santiago de Compostela before walking to Finisterre/Muxia
DO stop at the Galicia Tourist Office/Oficina de Turismo de Galicia in Santiago at 30 rua do Vilar near the cathedral. They have a good free list of ALL services on the paths to Finisterre and Muxia. This includes food shops, albergues, lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, etc. Their multilingual staff is most helpful.

Over the past 10 years I have ended at the sea 8 times. It is always very special to arrive after many weeks to that 'edge' on a beach overlooking the Atlantic, to stop and ponder what what has passed, to silently give thanks for all that has been and then turn inland to start the journey homeward.

If you have the time, I think it's worth visiting Finisterre and/or Muxia. However, you won't know how you feel about this until you actually arrive in Santiago.

If you don't have enough time to walk all the way to Finisterre, you can take a bus to Cee and walk the beautiful final 12kms into Finisterre. My husband and I did this last year and we really enjoyed walking along the beach (that's where my avatar photograph was taken). We spent a night in Finisterre and then walked very leisurely to Muxia, stopping overnight in Lires. There are regular buses to Cee/Finisterre - you just turn up at the bus station and buy your ticket.

Personally, I much prefer Muxia, but I was glad to have visited Finisterre and walked out to the 0km marker at the lighthouse. I don't feel any desire to go back to there, but I've already returned to Muxia and will definitely do so again.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is something special about being at 0 km. We enjoyed Finisterre and Muxia. Do overnight in Lires as nualaOC recommended, it's a nice village.

My Camino friends finished in SdC and I found it quite a wrench leaving them after walking with them for so long. I needed those 3 days to process my emotions. The walk from Cee to Finisterre is lovely especially if you strike a sunny day. But even in the rain Finisterre has its own charm.

Imho Finisterre is only worth it if you walk there. The town itself is not worth the busride. The walk to Finisterre is beautiful, from start to finish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After the intensity of the pilgrimage to Santiago, Inwalked with another pilgrim to Muxia. We took our time and stopped in some truly lovely spots. We spent 2 nights there before walking to Finisterre with 2 other memebers of thentribe who caught up to us.
Muxia is much quieter and relaxed. Finisterre also has it's qualities but I think I liked Muxia.

Like everyone else has said, it depends on how you feel when you get to Santiago. I can definitely understand the desire to explore some of the other cities on the Camino that you pass through before Santiago. Cities like Pamplona, Burgos and Leon are very interesting, as is spending a day in Santiago itself.

We had lots of time and spent time in Burgos, Sahagun, Leon and Astorga and, later, some time in Pamplona. It was enjoyable but I also liked my solo walk to Finisterre. I liked the idea of walking completely across Spain from France to the ocean. The extra walk had nice scenery and fewer towns and walkers. From there we both walked to Muxia. Finisterre was Peg's favorite town of the two, it was a nice beach town; Muxia was mine, it was a nice town on the shore (there is a subtle difference here that I hope you see.)

If you find culture interesting take the extra time on rest days to soak up Spain, the people. If you like scenery then spend the time instead with Spain, the land. Or better yet: retire and use up all the time your visa allows.

Poles: Peg and I are long time backpackers (and old) and on mountain trails we usually use a pole apiece from a set. On the camino she wanted to try double-poling early on and stayed with it using my pole too. Otherwise I think I would have been just carrying my pole. I didn't need it or use it. But it's a wash; two single pole users with one going to double and one to none. But in **my** opinion if you are used to hiking in the hills without the poles I don't think the camino will require their use.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes but I'm one of those peeps that enjoyed Muxia more than Finisterre.

I guess it depends where you are coming from and where, for you, feels like the end of your journey. For some of us the destination of Pilgrimage is Finis Terre, Fisterra, the 'end of the world'. The point of transition into 'otherwhere'. For some the destination of Pilgrimage is the bones of Santiago in their Silver sarcophagus. For some its a few selfies in front of the Cathedral.

Muxia has a stronger link to those of us who live within the Marian / Mother traditions and, coincidentally, marks where those bones came to shore. Fisterra is just a village close enough to the end of all things to make a few €'s out of the passing trade.

Walking poles: never used them, though I've cut a staff from time-to-time. Crazy? You are planning to walk to Santiago. Work that one out for yourself. :)

I start my Journey from SJPP I will have 41 days, and that must include getting to Madrid and home Mid morning on the 21st of June. I am trying to plan my journey a bit, leaving the Camino spirit to guide me a little. Is it worth the extra time to walk to the Ocean? I live in Washington state and can go anytime. Is it just a youe person party excuse? I'm thinking i would rather spend some extra rest days in the beautiful towns and villages along the way. Also, I don't want to carry poles. I have never used them, I have good knees and ankles, and it will probably drive me crazy. I like my hands free and like to swing my arms. Am I crazy?

Joodle, in the beginning I was also resistant to using poles, wantedy hands free. However the experienced Father Michael Fish told of their many benefits, so decided to give them a try.
What a difference using them made!
As Michael had pointed out, they are like having another set of legs....
I've found them most helpful, helping propel me forward, especially when going up grades! They're also usful for making yourself into a tripod, leaning on them when bushed tired.
Are helpful providing balance on tricky tails. Definitely taking mine when leaving April 5 to begin first Camino adventure~~~~>
Charles Gibilterra

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Would you enjoy a delicious ice cream and then leave the last bit..........
I didn't plan to walk beyond SdC, but had extra days, and a couple suggested Muxia. Muxia turned out to be a highlight and perfect in every way.
Due to time constraint I took bus, walked to lighthouse, and then walked to Muxia
Very few pilgrims going opposite direction, and when I arrived at beach, white sands, turquoise ocean, blue sky and deserted except for me!
No problem with knees, but I don't hike anywhere without trekking poles. Nine ounces for the pair, they really don't get in the way, collapse down to 14". Also, no swelling hands, fingers when I use poles and certain amount of upper body strengthening with pole action
Burn Camino

Janice

I don't know if you have the luxury to do this, but I always build 4 extra days into my Camino for a walk to Finisterre and Muxia. Over the last 7 or 8 years, I've probably walked on after Santiago four or five times, so that means that about half of the time I decide to spend those days other ways, for whatever reason (this past year, it was because my knee was really hurting and I wanted to slow down, another year it was because I decided to take some time to visit the Ribeira Sacra after Lugo on the Invierno, etc.). I agree with all who say that it's a wonderful way to end the camino, and I've never met anyone who regretted doing it. So why not build in the days, and then see if you find a better use for them before you get to Santiago. Buen camino, Laurie

Yes Laurie has the soundest advice - build as many extra days as possible, or if it's in your budget, buy a flexible air ticket. The unexpected will happen on The Way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have twice walked to Finisterre. The first time was on my first Camino and I arrived in Santiago with the need to keep walking. Those extra few days took me away from some of those I had met along the way which was a real wrench but it gave me the time to process the pilgrimage. To my immense surprise and joy, many of my Camino friends were in Santiago on my return (by bus) from Finisterre.

The second time I went to Finisterre was via Muxia - for no reason other than that I hadn't been there and, again, I hadn't finished walking. My pilgrimage may finish in Santiago but I find it difficult to then be thrust into a busy environment. I seem to need the space of those extra days for reflection and consolidation of everything I've learnt along the way.

Even though I feel that my pilgrimage finishes in Santiago, I end up in Finisterre feeling like I could keep walking forever. After all, that's why we have legs. Perhaps it's catching the bus that breaks the spell and allows me to move to a post-Camino state.

I have twice walked to Finisterre. The first time was on my first Camino and I arrived in Santiago with the need to keep walking. Those extra few days took me away from some of those I had met along the way which was a real wrench but it gave me the time to process the pilgrimage. To my immense surprise and joy, many of my Camino friends were in Santiago on my return (by bus) from Finisterre.

The second time I went to Finisterre was via Muxia - for no reason other than that I hadn't been there and, again, I hadn't finished walking. My pilgrimage may finish in Santiago but I find it difficult to then be thrust into a busy environment. I seem to need the space of those extra days for reflection and consolidation of everything I've learnt along the way.

Even though I feel that my pilgrimage finishes in Santiago, I end up in Finisterre feeling like I could keep walking forever. After all, that's why we have legs. Perhaps it's catching the bus that breaks the spell and allows me to move to a post-Camino state.

Hi Julie
Just wondering if you ever contemplated walking back to Santiago from Finisterre?
Our first Camino is coming up in 6 weeks and we were planning (time permitting) to attempt the round trip.
Keen to hear your thoughts and others re pros and/or cons.
Thank you.
Carol

The hike from Finisterre to Muxia is more beautiful than anything I have seen on the West Coast...and 5-km of the hike is down a sandy beach.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking to the end of the world (Finisterre) and beyond (Muxia) gave us some readjustment time that we needed. And it's cool to say you walked to the end of the world. But we much preferred Corcubion to Finisterre and would recommend stops in Lires and Muxia. But we prefer quiet and less traveled places. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
.... and would recommend stops in Lires and Muxia.

I echo that totally! Even if you don't spend the night in Lires, I recommend a detour for coffee out to the beach. It is beautiful, and the way is well marked. You can get there in either direction (whether going to Finisterre or Muxia) without backtracking. The first time I walked from Finisterre to Muxia I was kind of surprised about how little beach view there is. This is a great way to add a short, but very beautiful beach segment. And the cafe there is very nice. Open 24/7 in season, according to the owners the last time I was there. Buen camino, Laurie

Poles: A physical therapist that is also a hiker explained to me that your knees take a lot less biomechanical stress when you use poles. I forget the percentage decrease but it was significant. She recommended against using a single hiking stick since the contralateral knee ended up with a higher potential for an over use injury. That being said, if your poles are going to end up on or in your pack then they are just additional weight you can live without. Would recommend poles with a locking toggle instead of those that have a twist adjustment; the latter have a tendency to telescope down.
Muxia/Finisterra: Both pretty towns although I think Muxia is prettier; the light house in Finisterra is very nice. Have hiked it both to Finisterra first and to Muxia first; either way has its charms. Like Santiago, most of the fun and adventure comes from getting there. There is a relatively new, and very modern albergue in Muxia that has a foot soaking pool of seawater in the basement. The showers are amazing, I think it is the Albergue Arribada.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

It is just me but Finisterra was the spirit or nature culmination to a journey that brought quietude and nature into my hours on trail. To quietly observe the sunset at the Faro, lighthouse, with other pilgrims moves the soul. My experience on the other hand with Santiago was jarring. After the solitude of the walk in the woods and paths, the big city traffic, people, streets, noise .. Well, you get the picture. Got the certificate, went to the Pilgrim Mass, saw a few trail mates and got on the bus to Finisterra. Interesting observation that people start to slow down and linger at the few stops before Santiago. I among them. I didn't want it to end. Buen Camino. Elin of Oregon

After the comparative masses of people walking to Santiago and after a few days rest to enjoy the City I thoroughly enjoyed the walk to Finisterre as it is so quiet with some lovely woodlands. Having started our Camino with a few days by the sea at Biarritz and then walked from STPdP over the Pyrenees and across Spain, arriving at Santiago felt like an anti-climax and unfinished. The additional walk to Finisterre and seeing the sea again just helped me feel that the Camino was really over (for that year).

Seeing the ocean just before Cee was something I will never forget

AS a number of pilgrims have said going on to Finisterre completes the journey. Both times to me it was the icing on the cake. A beautiful 3 day walk and seeing the ocean, albeit at Cee, was so good. A very quiet walk with time to contemplate your camino especially after the hustle and bustle of SdeC. The first time I arrived in SdeC I knew my journey was not complete and I was happy that I continued to Finisterre. If you do decide to carry on I am sure you will not regret it.

Maybe you are crazy, dear Joodle... I don't really know you well enough to say! ;)

But I could talk to you for at least an hour about the magic and wonder of Fisterra (aka Finisterre). I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada, so I'm next to the Atlantic Ocean. But it's always amazing to me, and fun, to go and touch the other side of the Atlantic and wave to my family from Spain. I never get tired of the power of the waves, and the beauty of the sunset and sunrise, and looking for pilgrim shells on the beach. It's also meaningful to me to talk to pilgrims at the end of their (our) Camino, sharing insights and ideas about what we've experienced. As someone else said, it's also a beautiful way to transition from having been walking every day, to going back to "the real world". I know that your experience of it, if and when you go, will be uniquely your own, and there's no way for you to know how you'll like it until you get there. For me, it's a place of deep wisdom and rich beauty.

The first time I walked the Camino in 2010 I ran out of time (because of knee trouble I developed along the way, and also the death of my father), and took the bus to Fisterra. It was lovely. I hardly saw any of the town and got to Langosteira Beach without much time before the return bus trip (I didn't go to the lighthouse, and I didn't even know Mar de Fora Beach existed), but I could feel the energy of the place and I knew I'd like to return. The next year, I walked there from Santiago and it was amazing. Those three extra days felt like a Master Class in Camino walking, a mini review of everything I'd experienced in the weeks previous. And I loved being in Fisterra so much I stayed for three weeks.

In 2012 I walked there again, and only then continued to Muxia for the first time (I'd planned to go in 2011 but realised that my Camino that year was perfectly finished after I arrived in Fisterra). Muxia, for me, has a very different feel. I know people who love it there best. I appreciate its beauty and eccentricity and energy, but for me, Fisterra (eccentric and beautiful in its own way) feels more like home. Walking there again last year was like coming home.

Whatever you decide, there is no right or wrong answer. :)

As for poles, my first year I bought a set in Puente la Reina because of my knee, and used them to the end. It was very difficult (awkward and frustrating) to manage a camera with the two poles! But they helped me a lot. The second year I was completely healthy and didn't need poles and wanted nothing to do with them. And then I was given a walking stick by a farmer about three days before Santiago, haha! It was ironic. But I walked with the stick to Fisterra, and it was a journey in and of itself. I haven't used poles since, and I think if you're reasonably healthy and feel stable and secure as you're getting ready for your Camino, they're not necessary. I won't take them this year either. I also like to be as free and unencumbered as possible. But if you feel like you need or want them when you get there, you can buy a pair pretty much anywhere along the way, or find a walking stick of your own as you go.

Buen Camino!

Rachel :)

Hi Julie
Just wondering if you ever contemplated walking back to Santiago from Finisterre?
Our first Camino is coming up in 6 weeks and we were planning (time permitting) to attempt the round trip.
Keen to hear your thoughts and others re pros and/or cons.
Thank you.
Carol
I've never considered walking back to Santiago from Finisterre and don't think I would like meeting other pilgrims at the end of the day knowing that we would be going in opposite directions the next morning. If I had plenty of time left and wanted to keep walking, I would be more inclined to go somewhere else e.g. the Camino Ingles.

After walking to Finisterre I usually only have enough time to spend a couple of days in Santiago before heading to the airport and the long flight home. I didn't realise until I wrote it yesterday but catching the bus is part of my returning home process.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you have 41 days, you have enough time to give it a try. I would almost bet my boots that you would enjoy walking all the way to Finisterre, maybe even to Muxia. (This last day was the most quite one of all my Camino. I was on my own almost all the way.). Perhaps you know about that ritual of burning something (some piece of clothing or a piece of paper having your thoughts written) at the "lands end". Give it a try too, as you do when you throw your stone brought from home at Cruz de Ferro. There is also a good chance to find las Piedras Santas, another experience you will not forget...
I don not know your grounds for walking the Camino, but I believe that these rituals still exist, after hundreds of years, for a reason...

. Perhaps you know about that ritual of burning something (some piece of clothing or a piece of paper having your thoughts written) at the "lands end". Give it a try too. ..

I really disagree with this suggestion. Imagine what Finisterre would look like if everyone left the remains of burned clothing on the rocks. The article that is referred to in the thread I have linked to below describes the area around the lighthouse as a "garbage dump." I remember that the local authorities were contemplating taking some action to stop the practice but I don't know what became of that concern.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ing-article-on-the-trash-at-finisterre.37040/

This is the same as defacing mojones with graffiti in my opinion, and I just don't understand the motivation.

And so far as the idea that it is a time-honored tradition, I can find no source that backs that up.

Ohh, regarding burning things in Fisterra (and leaving things like boots in a heap or tied to poles), not only have I spoken to locals who said, "Please don't, it leaves a big mess to clean up!", it can go very wrong. Last July when I was there, a fire at the lighthouse got out of hand. The police and the fire department were called, and a helicopter flew over to drop water more than once. During my second Camino I heard that there were three rituals a pilgrim ought to do in order to fully finish their pilgrimage in Fisterra, and burning something was one of them. But I don't know of it being an "official tradition". 11703055_10155915533925241_1937507777761025624_n (480 x 480).jpg

I would love it if this Forum had some sort of mandatory material to read before you are allowed to read further and post. Like this "I have read, understand and agree with the above material" click. All the info I can think of at the moment has to do with respect: for the locals, the land we walk through... :

1. Don't burn items that can still be used - donate, find a non-poluting and more respectful way of symbolising the before and after Camino.

2. Don't trash the place: tp, wrappers, et al. are not ok.

3. Don't over indulge in alcohol keeping everyone up at night while you are mopping up after yourself.

4. And yes, don't trash the place leaving what you may feel is meaningful to you, like your stuffies at Cruz the Ferro, your tagging on property.

And then add all the "be the one who... " ideas to be positive as well ;), such as "Be the one who folds up her blanket in the morning", "Be the one who cleans the washing basing whem he is done with it" ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love it if this Forum had some sort of mandatory material to read before you are allowed to read further and post. Like this "I have read, understand and agree with the above material" click. All the info I can think of at the moment has to do with respect: for the locals, the land we walk through... :

1. Don't burn items that can still be used - donate, find a non-poluting and more respectful way of symbolising the before and after Camino.

3. Don't over indulge in alcohol keeping everyone up at night while you are mopping up after yourself.

4. And yes, don't trash the place leaving what you may feel is meaningful to you, like your stuffies at Cruz the Ferro, your tagging on property.

And then add all the "be the one who... " ideas to be positive as well ;)
Of course you know you are preaching to the choir.

Of course you know you are preaching to the choir.
But I want the forum to preach to the choir's prospective members as they show interest in it. You want a tip on getting from point a to point b?, learn about Camino Forum manners first. I want these things in the credencial or the credencial application form as well. And not because I think people are bad, mean, nitwits, but because the vast majority of new Caminoers have never been long distance walkers or campers. I know I never gave these issues a thought before my first Camino, and had I been made aware I would have acted differently. Even the guide books tell you to burn things and the town on fire after all!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ohh, regarding burning things in Fisterra (and leaving things like boots in a heap or tied to poles), not only have I spoken to locals who said, "Please don't, it leaves a big mess to clean up!", it can go very wrong. Last July when I was there, a fire at the lighthouse got out of hand. The police and the fire department were called, and a helicopter flew over to drop water more than once. During my second Camino I heard that there were three rituals a pilgrim ought to do in order to fully finish their pilgrimage in Fisterra, and burning something was one of them. But I don't know of it being an "official tradition". View attachment 24382

[ thought you were there in August ( Alan from Scotland)

Is it worth the extra time to walk to the Ocean?
Personally, I like Muxia better. If you don't want to walk, get together with 3 other pilgrims and hire a private taxi to take you to both for a day trip on your time schedule. Usually under €35 each for 4 to share a taxi for the day.

[ thought you were there in August ( Alan from Scotland)

Alan!!!! Alan?!? Is it you?? I arrived there on July 27th and it was August 4th when I left. I still have the photos of you on the rocks in Muxia to send you! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
From my observations there are several strongly established traditions for pilgrims who complete their journey at the Fisterra light-house. Drag a heavy bottle of wine or even a six pack of cerveza all the way to the rocks, but do not under any circumstances take the empties back to the recycling bins by the souvenir shop. Stuff your bocadillo wrap into a crevice in the rocks, this is much like leaving your teddy-bear at Cruz Ferro. Set fire to a random pair of nylon socks you found in the Albergue dump box, or better still a pair of plastic trainers. This tradition in particular adds to the atmosphere at the lighthouse. While performing these rituals remember that you have managed to have a really cheap holiday in a remarkably tolerant country and that someone will clear up after you. Then head to Madrid or Barca for some serious clubbing.

All of which is a bit of a shame because for many of us Fisterra has a significance that extends beyond Roman navigational errors (and hey, they only ever suggested it was the end of the 'known ' world). If you have walked from most of continental Europe then the moors above Cee may well provide you with your first ever sight of an ocean. The sunset, the drowning of the light, is a powerful image that for some means more: "and here we shall rest: at the end of all things", and as some will remember " I am the Alpha and the Omega" the ending and the beginning are one and the same.

For some of us the westering seas and the sunset are particular and special and arrival and a time of quietude mark a moment of significance and an opportunity for observance of the rituals of transition and rebirth. It doesn't usually take long to clean the site and it feels like small sacrifice to do so. Maybe I should be thankful for the opportunity of sacrifice.

I am thankful that no guidebook, app, blog or helpful website has yet suggested that pilgrims should burn their socks in the Praza Obradoiro.

I'm with you Jo Jo - I feel the same way - just take it as it comes.

From my observations there are several strongly established traditions for pilgrims who complete their journey at the Fisterra light-house. Drag a heavy bottle of wine or even a six pack of cerveza all the way to the rocks, but do not under any circumstances take the empties back to the recycling bins by the souvenir shop. Stuff your bocadillo wrap into a crevice in the rocks, this is much like leaving your teddy-bear at Cruz Ferro. Set fire to a random pair of nylon socks you found in the Albergue dump box, or better still a pair of plastic trainers. This tradition in particular adds to the atmosphere at the lighthouse. While performing these rituals remember that you have managed to have a really cheap holiday in a remarkably tolerant country and that someone will clear up after you. Then head to Madrid or Barca for some serious clubbing.

All of which is a bit of a shame because for many of us Fisterra has a significance that extends beyond Roman navigational errors (and hey, they only ever suggested it was the end of the 'known ' world). If you have walked from most of continental Europe then the moors above Cee may well provide you with your first ever sight of an ocean. The sunset, the drowning of the light, is a powerful image that for some means more: "and here we shall rest: at the end of all things", and as some will remember " I am the Alpha and the Omega" the ending and the beginning are one and the same.

For some of us the westering seas and the sunset are particular and special and arrival and a time of quietude mark a moment of significance and an opportunity for observance of the rituals of transition and rebirth. It doesn't usually take long to clean the site and it feels like small sacrifice to do so. Maybe I should be thankful for the opportunity of sacrifice.

I am thankful that no guidebook, app, blog or helpful website has yet suggested that pilgrims should burn their socks in the Praza Obradoiro.
I never saw any behavior from folks walking like what you describe yet the tourists by bus is another story

And then add all the "be the one who... " ideas to be positive as well ;), such as "Be the one who folds up her blanket in the morning", "Be the one who cleans the washing basing whem he is done with it" ...

I would like to see some sort of Peregrino commitment of these guidelines to be signed by the peregrino as a condition to receiving a pilgrim's passport. This of course would not be legally enforceable (which is not the intent) but rather to educate and remind peregrinos of what we need to do in return for the privilege offered by the Spanish people to walk their land and experience the magic of the Camino. This practice of having peregrinos sign off on these guidelines doesn't seem that it would be that hard to implement.

Ohh, regarding burning things in Fisterra (and leaving things like boots in a heap or tied to poles), not only have I spoken to locals who said, "Please don't, it leaves a big mess to clean up!", it can go very wrong. Last July when I was there, a fire at the lighthouse got out of hand. The police and the fire department were called, and a helicopter flew over to drop water more than once. During my second Camino I heard that there were three rituals a pilgrim ought to do in order to fully finish their pilgrimage in Fisterra, and burning something was one of them. But I don't know of it being an "official tradition". View attachment 24382

This is not a trivial matter -- pilgrims, do not burn clothing (or anything else) at the lighthouse at Finisterre! There's enough trashing of the planet going on without us adding to it.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...se-afean-cabo-fisterra/0003_201603C9C2991.htm

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back