• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Galicia important for the Camino sucess?

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Obviuosly the answer is yes because Santiago is located in the center of Galicia. But would the Camino be so sucessful in number of pilgrims if the destination were located in another region of Spain? for example Asturias, León, etc.
I don´t think so, because Galicia has two important features:
Is in the Green part of Spain and is relatively flat.
The other "Green regions" of Spain: Asturias, Cantabria and Basque country are too mountainous for normal pilgrims with no mountain experience and therefore would be much more difficult to walk 100 kms on something similar to Sarria - Santiago, Lugo- Santiago or Portugués.
In the other hand, if the destination were located in the "Dry Spain", the Camino wouldn´t be so attractive in summer for many pilgrims especially from Spain.
The conclusion is that curiously a Medieval pilgrimage had the destination that today is the optimum from a "comercial" point of wiew.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But would the Camino be so sucessful in number of pilgrims if the destination were located in another region of Spain?
Interesting question, Pelerin!
Why not?
I guess it all depends on your point of view. Of all the parts of the Camino, Galicia is the part I like the least. And the end point is no less important than the process of getting there.

I don´t think so, because Galicia has two important features:
Is in the Green part of Spain and is relatively flat...
The conclusion is that curiously a Medieval pilgrimage had the destination that today is the optimum from a "comercial" point of wiew.

Um, did we walk in the same Galicia? I remember more then a few irate pilgrims moaning about the terrain (and the rain) in Galicia "They guide book said it was all downhill to Santiago from here" they would groan... In reply I would quote the other section of the guide which mentions the "hills and valleys", interpertation- days of walking up and down, usually in the rain.

I am not sure what your point is in this tread, I doubt that the Pagans on their way to Finistere or the Christians heading to Santiago had much thought about the commercial value of the Camino. Is it chicken or egg? Surely the Camino is now a valuable part of Spain's economy because of the number of pilgrims heading west, rather then the other way around.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Um, did we walk in the same Galicia? I remember more then a few irate pilgrims moaning about the terrain (and the rain) in Galicia "They guide book said it was all downhill to Santiago from here" they would groan...

It is all very relative. Someone who started at St Jean will have already crossed the Pyrenees, gone up and down the Alto de Perdon, walked up to the Cruz de Ferro and down the steep slope to Molinaseca, then finally had a long slog up to O Cebreiro before ever entering Galicia. No wonder if they then see Sarria to Santiago as being mill-pond flat by comparison. Someone who starts in Sarria has little to compare the route with and may well be in poorer physical shape. Their experience is likely to be very different.

Um, did we walk in the same Galicia? I remember more then a few irate pilgrims moaning about the terrain (and the rain) in Galicia "They guide book said it was all downhill to Santiago from here" they would groan... In reply I would quote the other section of the guide which mentions the "hills and valleys", interpertation- days of walking up and down, usually in the rain.

I am not sure what your point is in this tread, I doubt that the Pagans on their way to Finistere or the Christians heading to Santiago had much thought about the commercial value of the Camino. Is it chicken or egg? Surely the Camino is now a valuable part of Spain's economy because of the number of pilgrims heading west, rather then the other way around.

According to statistics more than 85% of Spanish pilgrims come from Dry Spain (Andalucia, Madrid, Valencia, etc.) and many of them do Sarria- Santiago in summer time. I know Spain and I think that most of them prefer doing those 100 kms in Green Galicia than in the Meseta (for example).
The other Green regions in Spain are too mountainous (and also rains ) to make the Camino (100 kms) doable for many people.
So. In my opinion if the destination was in another region of Spain the number of pilgrims would be lower.

We like Galicia so much that we are planning on a holiday there - along the north coast. Scenery, food, people are all great.

In answer to @Pelegrin 's question:-
I cannot imagine walking (for example) to Granada or Cordoba, even as a pilgrimage. The fact that Santiago de Compostela is in Galicia is a bonus, but our original reason was 'pilgrimage to Santiago' rather than a 'walk'. Now we will 'walk' but will not try to repeat our 'pilgrimage', and Galicia is a great place to do that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is all very relative. Someone who started at St Jean will have already crossed the Pyrenees, gone up and down the Alto de Perdon, walked up to the Cruz de Ferro and down the steep slope to Molinaseca, then finally had a long slog up to O Cebreiro before ever entering Galicia. No wonder if they then see Sarria to Santiago as being mill-pond flat by comparison. Someone who starts in Sarria has little to compare the route with and may well be in poorer physical shape. Their experience is likely to be very different.
You have a point, I remember starting in St Jean on our first Camino, when researching the route and checking out the height of this pass I remembering thinking " pah they are just hills" I've climbed a number of mountains so wasn't that worried about them, but crawling up and up on that first day I kept wondering "are we there yet" and was glad the cloud cover shrouded the top still hours away. I probably had a lot to do with the weight I carried in my pack. I've learnt a lot since that first Camino and I'll never call the Pyreneese just hills again.
Having complete many other long routes to Santiago, and the sea beyond, while I love the hot dry country (and this is why we go to Spain) coming into the green hills of Galicia is a but like coming home. It's just a bit tiring after walking so far to be back going up and down multiple times a day. So I would never call Galicia flat.

I cannot imagine walking (for example) to Granada or Cordoba, even as a pilgrimage. The fact that Santiago de Compostela is in Galicia is a bonus, but our original reason was 'pilgrimage to Santiago' rather than a 'walk'. Now we will 'walk' but will not try to repeat our 'pilgrimage', and Galicia is a great place to do that.
We once walked from Ferrol, through Santiago and on to Lisbon. It was a great walk and we didn't think of ourselves as Pilgrims, until we turned up to the Cathdral to get our final stamp. The look the guy gave us when he traced our hand drawn map we use as our credencial and realised how far we had walked to arrive at his doorstep, and the great care he took in placing that final stamp showed that he clearly saw us a Pilgrims.

You have a point, I remember starting in St Jean on our first Camino, when researching the route and checking out the height of this pass I remembering thinking " pah they are just hills" I've climbed a number of mountains so wasn't that worried about them, but crawling up and up on that first day I kept wondering "are we there yet" and was glad the cloud cover shrouded the top still hours away. I probably had a lot to do with the weight I carried in my pack. I've learnt a lot since that first Camino and I'll never call the Pyreneese just hills again.
Having complete many other long routes to Santiago, and the sea beyond, while I love the hot dry country (and this is why we go to Spain) coming into the green hills of Galicia is a but like coming home. It's just a bit tiring after walking so far to be back going up and down multiple times a day. So I would never call Galicia flat.

Galicia is not flat of course but when you do the Primitivo and you are near Lugo then if you remember the high mountains of Asturias you may think yes Galicia is "relatively flat". So, again If the destination was Oviedo (in this case) the number of pilgrims would be lower (IMO)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back